Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Your reviews of the previews  (Read 20059 times)

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
Re: Your reviews of the previews
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2018, 05:08:26 pm »
+2

smtc

This word actually stumped me for a bit.  Turns out vowels are nice

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +513
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2018, 05:11:31 pm »
+1

Even little things like moving Provs to deck top to flip away with Pools can be pretty amazing.
I don't know what this means but it kinda sounds even more illegal than pot.

By which you mean potions, right?

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2018, 06:38:08 pm »
+6

The second editions of the main set and Intrigue let me fix up the two most popular products. All these early duds, replaced by real cards. It's an issue with Seaside too, but some of the duds there were cemented in. It's less of an issue with Prosperity though I could certainly patch it up some; Alchemy would rather not exist than get more work put into it; and then Cornucopia and on don't have nearly as many duds.

For the other sets, we fixed up the layout and some wordings. Why do this? Man. It was a ton of work and mostly just means, I can feel better about those sets. We were doing fine with the awful layout and not-as-good wordings versions. But, whatever, some sense of wanting the expansions to be better, they got fixed up.

We were able to replace cards in the main set and Intrigue via selling the new cards separately in the update packs. That doesn't work with just replacing e.g. Rebuild. Possibly we could have had one update pack for all other sets; I'm sure some people would have complained, "hey I bought the new Dark Ages but the old Hinterlands and now to get this replacement card you're making me re-buy something, you suck so hard, boycott boycott boycott." I'm not sure how bad it would have been. It's a classic "this is why we can't have nice things" situation. It would be great to replace just any specific cards that want replacing; some people would hate us for that; we get less hate by having the inferior product. It's a bummer, but I can't change human nature.

At the same time I feel like we got away with e.g. the Masquerade tweak. Not without zero complaints, but you know, it wasn't so bad as to stop us from doing that again. So conceivably someday I'll decide, man, I have to fix Band of Misfits / Overlord / Inheritance. They would usually play exactly the same, and some people would be enraged that they'd have to buy new copies of those sets if they wanted the new wordings printed on their cards, but I think it could happen. Empires just got reprinted though, and I did not change Overlord. So, it's not happening today.

If it had been okay to change cards willy-nilly, I would have changed a lot more. Lots of little things. Like, Mining Village should be e.g. "at the start of your buy phase, you may trash this from play..." Those changes weren't possible because they'd need update packs, and those update packs would be awful products. I don't need to rule out this stuff ever happening, but well, it would require some big shake-up, I mean as it stands it's "put in lots of work, enrage players (have a better product)."

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2018, 10:05:40 pm »
+8

You could release a promo and say, “Hey, you could slot this into Dark Ages in place of Rebuild.”

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2018, 04:06:40 am »

Well there aren't many villages outside the - range.

These days there are many with Lost Arts and other tricks.

The cards I tend to upgrade with Adventures tokens tend to be on the cheap side. I'd rather Lost Arts a Candlestick Maker or Pearl Diver than a Mystic (to name examples where the Lost Arts create actual splitters).
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2018, 04:28:33 am »
+5

You could release a promo and say, “Hey, you could slot this into Dark Ages in place of Rebuild.”
Possibly a promo is enough to just replace a single card; put the card into Dark Ages in place of Rebuild, and if you wanted this card and already have Dark Ages, well for now it's a promo.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2018, 02:28:18 pm »
+1

Even little things like moving Provs to deck top to flip away with Pools can be pretty amazing.

I hope Renaissance has a card called "Potter" so that the "pot" abbreviation can't be used anymore.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2018, 03:03:03 pm »
+2

I hope Renaissance has a card called "Potter" so that the "pot" abbreviation can't be used anymore.

Oh it’ll still be used, just by two different cards, for extra confusion. See “FV”.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2018, 11:23:09 pm »

The one minor disappointment I have, and several people have mentioned this, is that Projects aren't multi-stage.
Really? Base Dominion already has pretty complex multi-stage projects that change with every board; they're called a deck ;)
Sure, but what I want is a deck-building game so complex that even my multi-stage projects have multi-stage projects.
Have patience... Dominion: Legacy will be the multi-stage projects that contain multi-stage projects, of multi-stage projects!
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

ObtusePunubiris

• Bishop
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2018, 12:22:17 am »

The one minor disappointment I have, and several people have mentioned this, is that Projects aren't multi-stage.
Really? Base Dominion already has pretty complex multi-stage projects that change with every board; they're called a deck ;)
Sure, but what I want is a deck-building game so complex that even my multi-stage projects have multi-stage projects.
Have patience... Dominion: Legacy will be the multi-stage projects that contain multi-stage projects, of multi-stage projects!
Sounds cool.  Will I get to rip up cards though?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2018, 12:32:20 am »
+3

Technically, you can always rip up your cards.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2018, 12:52:53 am »
+1

Sure, but then you're playing a variant.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2018, 01:08:45 am »
+4

Is the definition of "your" the same here as on Inheritance?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2018, 04:25:43 am »

Well there aren't many villages outside the - range.

These days there are many with Lost Arts and other tricks.

The cards I tend to upgrade with Adventures tokens tend to be on the cheap side. I'd rather Lost Arts a Candlestick Maker or Pearl Diver than a Mystic (to name examples where the Lost Arts create actual splitters).

Lost Arts on a card with +1 Action is amazing on a board with no other Villages. In fact, it's almost required if you actually want to have an engine. Lost Arts on Smithy seems nice until you realize you committed yourself to a single terminal. Which is possible sometimes, but still.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2018, 09:23:35 pm »

Sounds cool.  Will I get to rip up cards though?
That's one way to get a whiff of their blackcore goodness!
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 20 queries.