Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Renaissance Previews #4: Flag Bearer, Swashbuckler, Treasurer  (Read 59886 times)

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
Re: Renaissance Previews #4: Flag Bearer, Swashbuckler, Treasurer
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2018, 07:18:25 am »
+2

Well, I guessed States would return, and I suppose I was half right?
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2018, 07:56:37 am »
+7

Plaza is a truly excellent Village for Swashbuckler.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2018, 08:00:07 am »
+1

Flag Bearer and Treasurer are simple cards that come with simple Artifacts. Treasurer is nice because it does a bunch of things and the Artifact is an aside.

The Flag Bearer really pushed for a sort of tug of war because the Flag is really impactful. In games without sources of extra actions though, the Flag Bearers get in the way quickly.

Swashbuckler is a $5 Smithy with a potential +1 Coffers. That's already neat. If you really want, you can try hoarding the Coffers tokens for the treasure chest, but I don't know how often you'd want to, especially given the opportunity cost of not spending the Coffers. Then again, it is the hardest to contest if you are behind of Coffers.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2018, 08:03:34 am »

Flag Bearer: Definitely tricky to figure this one out. The Flag is amazing of course, but then the card itself is a piece of junk that takes up that extra hand space...

Swashbuckler: Why does everything Pirate-related have to be weak?  :( Well, at least it's not borderline useless, like that other card...

Treasurer: This looks really good on first glance. Copper trashing is usually welcome.

Also, I'm really loving the artwork on all of these. I haven't seen a single piece of artwork I actively dislike yet; the worst ones I'm just ambivalent to.

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2018, 08:10:05 am »
+1

Swashbuckler. Hubba Hubba.
-The Compulsive Completist

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2018, 08:15:52 am »
+3

Nice, three more cards that Lord Rattington has no idea what to do with!

Willvon

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +168
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2018, 08:37:04 am »
+1

If you already have the Key, and you play Treasurer — and you have nothing in your hand that you want to trash, and only Coppers in the trash pile — you can still “take” the Key, even though you technically never lost it (whether in the Woods, or elsewhere), right? 

I only ask because Fool states “If you do not have Lost in the Woods, you take it”.  Now obviously that would be way too much text to adapt it for this card, but since you must do one of the three things, since you already have it, can you “take” it, or do you have to do one of the other two options?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2018, 08:39:55 am »
+3

If you already have the Key, and you play Treasurer — and you have nothing in your hand that you want to trash, and only Coppers in the trash pile — you can still “take” the Key, even though you technically never lost it (whether in the Woods, or elsewhere), right? 

I only ask because Fool states “If you do not have Lost in the Woods, you take it”.  Now obviously that would be way too much text to adapt it for this card, but since you must do one of the three things, since you already have it, can you “take” it, or do you have to do one of the other two options?

It's a "choose one" type ability, which means that you can choose an option that you can't do, and then fail to do it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2018, 08:42:33 am »
+2

Flag Bearer: Definitely tricky to figure this one out. The Flag is amazing of course, but then the card itself is a piece of junk that takes up that extra hand space...

Swashbuckler: Why does everything Pirate-related have to be weak?  :( Well, at least it's not borderline useless, like that other card...

Treasurer: This looks really good on first glance. Copper trashing is usually welcome.

Also, I'm really loving the artwork on all of these. I haven't seen a single piece of artwork I actively dislike yet; the worst ones I'm just ambivalent to.

Swashbuckler has a lower bound for how weak it can possibly be given that it is a Smithy+ for $5. If you don't want the Treasure Chest then you can spend excess Coffers Tokens. If you can reliably play four of them in a turn while having a discard pile then probably you have enough draw to accomodate the extra Gold.

About the art, eh Ducat is all "Notice me! I am a big yellow blob!" And Villain I only noticed just now is probably sitting on a step and not sitting on his knees with split legs like a guy who just got stabbed. That weird out of focus thing (shoulder?) on the bottom left threw me off. The Priest also has some weird yellow dog background like the Isotropic Adventurer art. I think other than those yeah the art is cool in this set.

ossiangrr

• Swindler
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2018, 08:56:23 am »
+3

If an Ambassador causes everyone else to gain Flagbearers, who ends up with the flag?

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2018, 09:02:00 am »
+9

The one who gains Bearer last, in clockwise order.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2018, 09:10:39 am »
+2

Flagbearer looks really compelling on the surface, but if you're the first one to get it, your opponent can take the flag and you're left with a bad card unless you have a way to trash it. And you can take it back but that's more Flagbearers you need to junk up your deck with, and one way or another you end up behind in the flag fight.

Interesting stuff, and makes sense with the low attack density.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2018, 09:17:18 am »
+4

Man this set has all the flavor. Brb, gotta Recruit more Flagbearers
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

ospond

• Chancellor
  • Shuffle iT Username: ospond
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2018, 09:18:41 am »
+2

My impression is that it's stronger than it looks. With any sort of discard enabler (e.g. Warehouse, Plaza, Stables, Militia) it's already +3 cards, +1 coffers. With other sources of Coffers, you can gain a Gold on every turn AND you can still spend the Coffers afterwards.

Not sure if it's better than Werewolf, Rabble, Patrol, Journeyman, but it definitely might be. Probably not as good as Torturer and Margrave.

Willvon

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +168
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2018, 09:30:11 am »

It's a "choose one" type ability, which means that you can choose an option that you can't do, and then fail to do it.

That makes sense. Thanks.

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2018, 09:39:47 am »
+3

Does the key fit the lock of the treasure chest?

If you're the owner of the swashbuckled treasure chest then go ahead, take out a bar of gold every turn. But all that gold will weigh you down.
On the other hand, if you're the trusted treasurer with the key, well no-one will notice if you just sneak out one coin at a time. Spend it, no questions asked.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2018, 09:45:06 am »
+2

My impression is that it's stronger than it looks. With any sort of discard enabler (e.g. Warehouse, Plaza, Stables, Militia) it's already +3 cards, +1 coffers. With other sources of Coffers, you can gain a Gold on every turn AND you can still spend the Coffers afterwards.

Not sure if it's better than Werewolf, Rabble, Patrol, Journeyman, but it definitely might be. Probably not as good as Torturer and Margrave.

Most midturn gainers will work as enablers as well. Workshop variants, treasure gainers like Squire and Amulet, Bandit Camp, stuff like that.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2018, 10:01:34 am »
+1

I had been hoping for this eventuality, ever since Fool!

Flagbearer - This makes me imagine Flagbearer slogs, where Flagbearer is the best $4-cost card because of the advantage it takes away from your opponent.  I'm sure it doesn't happen often, if at all, but I hope it happens sometimes at least a little.  I like that Flag is friendly, so that if both players buy one, then they both get 6 cards.

Swashbuckler - Um that art.  Although, I looked up the word, and it seems that "swashbuckler" is a heroic archetype in fiction, so I guess depicting a Hollywood pirate is just about right.  Seems like it shines most in a good stuff deck, where you're more likely to have a discard pile, and you're more happy with gold-gaining.  Oh, and if everyone collects Coffers, everyone gets gold, yay!

Is Swashbuckler the card that cares about shuffling?

Treasurer - So it's like a Moneylender, but you can either lend or borrow.  The key, unlike the other artifacts, is unfriendly.  You can reach a point where players swap the key and nobody gets the bonus.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2018, 10:13:38 am »

Can you take the treasure chest if Swashbuckler doesn't give you coffers, and you just have leftover coffers from previous turns?

samath

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: SamE
  • Respect: +678
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2018, 10:14:56 am »
+1

Games with markus today!

Anders

• Swindler
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2018, 10:22:39 am »
+4

I predict that the "trasher you can't turn off" that was mentioned in the teaser is an artifact that says "At the beginning of your turn, trash a card from your hand". 

mikechike

• Salvager
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2018, 10:26:25 am »
+2

Not liking Flag Bearer open on 4/3 as you immediately draw 6 and get a bad shuffle at the start of turn 2, I'll pass.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2018, 10:27:57 am »
+3

Is Flag essentially the same as The River's Gift (+1 Card at the end of this turn), but worded differently (besides The River's Gift being one-shot)?
...maybe?

Actually, I wasn't aware that "drawing your hand" was a term with a specific definition. It obviously has to apply to drawing a new hand of cards during Clean-up. It probably doesn't apply to mid-turn discard-your-hand-and-draw effects (Guide, Minion, Scholar). But what about drawing after Donate?

DDL

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: DDL
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2018, 10:29:30 am »
+1

I just played a game that had Swashbuckler, Ducat and Mountain Village.

It was amazing. At some point my deck basically worked like a pendulum. One turn build a discard pile, gain a gold and buy a province, the other turn draw everything, gain another gold and buy 2 provinces.

Swashbuckler's artifact thing is hard to pull off, but not that hard if you have an extra source of coffers. It has terrible sinergy with trashed decks though.

SuperHans

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: SuperHans
  • Respect: +233
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2018, 10:30:11 am »
+3

Flagbearer is an interesting opening move at 4/3. There is a 1/6 chance you draw the flagbearer on Turn 2, which of course isn't great odds, but there is a 4/6 chance you draw $4. Odds are high that you will have $4, and if you're lucky $5, and if you're unlucky $3. If your opponent does not buy a flagbearer Turn 1, then you are drawing 6 again Turn 3 and so on.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 10:31:31 am by SuperHans »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 21 queries.