Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Renaissance Previews #3: Villain, Ducat, Silk Merchant  (Read 55484 times)

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
Re: Renaissance Previews #3: Villain, Ducat, Silk Merchant
« Reply #100 on: September 27, 2018, 03:44:44 am »
+6

Some plausible future card names that would be doublets of existing cards: Peon, Money, State, Esquire, Eremite, Fief, Fee

Less likely ones: Bench, Fabric, Place, Guy, Wit, Fjord

Using such similar words might eventually cause translation difficulties, if that hasn't already happened.
Some cards have translation difficulties in Chinese. Such as Thief/Bandit/Rogue.

I still have nightmares of O U D E   B E K E N D E.
(they translated 'familiar' to 'old acquaintance')

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 27, 2018, 05:31:18 am »

I like how, since Empires, most attacks are either not that powerful or self-limited.
I think that this already applied in Adventures. I think it's one of the biggest improvements in the latest sets.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 27, 2018, 12:59:06 pm »

You did increase your hand size though, albeit by only one card:
Hand of W, X, Y, Z, Sculptor. No coffers or Villagers. 1 action, 1 buy.
Play Sculptor, gaining Silk Merchant to hand. Hand is now W, X, Y, Z, Silk Merchant. No coffers, no Villagers. No actions, 1 buy.
Silk Merchant on-gain triggers. 1 coffers, 1 Villager.
Spend Villager to play Silk Merchant, getting +2 cards and +1 buy. Hand is now W, X, Y, Z, A, B. 1 Coffers, no Villagers. No actions, 2 buys.

Not the most effective use of Sculptor by any means, but hey, maybe you really needed that buy to close out the game with a double province or a three pile

Right, I calculated wrong, you increase your hand by 1. As you say, not great, but not terrible.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 27, 2018, 06:35:26 pm »

You did increase your hand size though, albeit by only one card:
Hand of W, X, Y, Z, Sculptor. No coffers or Villagers. 1 action, 1 buy.
Play Sculptor, gaining Silk Merchant to hand. Hand is now W, X, Y, Z, Silk Merchant. No coffers, no Villagers. No actions, 1 buy.
Silk Merchant on-gain triggers. 1 coffers, 1 Villager.
Spend Villager to play Silk Merchant, getting +2 cards and +1 buy. Hand is now W, X, Y, Z, A, B. 1 Coffers, no Villagers. No actions, 2 buys.

Not the most effective use of Sculptor by any means, but hey, maybe you really needed that buy to close out the game with a double province or a three pile

Right, I calculated wrong, you increase your hand by 1. As you say, not great, but not terrible.

Well whaddaya know, today it was really helpful for me in a gardens game. Like I said, sometimes you really need that +buy.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 27, 2018, 06:43:22 pm »
+1

Villain has interesting tension with Swashbuckler. It helps feed it with coin tokens, but also fills your opponent's discard. So you can end up helping your opponent activate their Swashbucklers as well, especially if it's a board without good ways to fill your own discard mid-turn.

Villain is also interesting with Council Room and other effects leading to your opponents having more than 5 cards in hand on your turn. It takes multiple Villain hits to get them all the way down to 4, but if they draw cards that miss Villain, they can end up with a worse hand than if they hadn't had those extra draws.

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 27, 2018, 08:28:48 pm »
+7

I did not like the "Coffers" wording at all when it was revealed. But now that I'm seeing it together with Villagers, I'm glad that it was changed.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 28, 2018, 07:27:27 pm »

I did not like the "Coffers" wording at all when it was revealed. But now that I'm seeing it together with Villagers, I'm glad that it was changed.

Agreed. Now I'm wondering if this was the reason for it...

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 28, 2018, 11:59:29 pm »
+2

Agreed. Now I'm wondering if this was the reason for it...

Pretty much. The “Coffers” terminology originated with Renaissance and, luckily, second edition Guilds hadn’t yet been printed.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 03, 2018, 12:05:27 am »

Ducat is S-tier "easier to play in real life".
Note that ShuffleIT now allows you to undo the "play all treasures" button without it asking your opponent for permission. A change specifically made with Ducat in mind.

I feel like anyone else can answer this kind of question, but yes, guys, hello, you can use the Ducat +1 Coffers the turn you play it, barring edge cases.

Ducats were actual Renaissance-era coins, and are not a reference to anyone who the person who took over Goko may have once picked to make online Dominion.

nice!
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 05, 2018, 06:46:50 pm »
+1

Now that new Dominon sets seem to be continuing indefinitely, I'm ok with similar ideas reoccuring. This is coming from a very harsh critic of any and all wastes of card slots in the "Guilds is the last set" era.

There are so many cards now that seeing a particular card in a given full-random game can be rare, and you'd want to increase the probability of it reoccurring. That's done with Village, Smithy, Workshop, Peddler etc. but it should also be true for slightly more niche cards.

Or if an idea is good, why not allow access to the idea in different sets?

I'd be ok with blatant things in future sets like "Quarry but it's an Event costing $P", or "Distant Lands but it trashes itself for VP tokens".
Similarly scrapped ideas that weren't particularly interesting would be fine for revisiting (Like the top-deck Remodel that was replaced with Rebuild) as simple cards for future sets.

All of this is fine as long as each set is decent value for money, and with Projects, Renaissance looks like it will be.

SuperHans

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: SuperHans
  • Respect: +233
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 11, 2018, 10:39:54 am »

Now that new Dominon sets seem to be continuing indefinitely, I'm ok with similar ideas reoccuring. This is coming from a very harsh critic of any and all wastes of card slots in the "Guilds is the last set" era.

There are so many cards now that seeing a particular card in a given full-random game can be rare, and you'd want to increase the probability of it reoccurring. That's done with Village, Smithy, Workshop, Peddler etc. but it should also be true for slightly more niche cards.

Or if an idea is good, why not allow access to the idea in different sets?

I'd be ok with blatant things in future sets like "Quarry but it's an Event costing $P", or "Distant Lands but it trashes itself for VP tokens".
Similarly scrapped ideas that weren't particularly interesting would be fine for revisiting (Like the top-deck Remodel that was replaced with Rebuild) as simple cards for future sets.

All of this is fine as long as each set is decent value for money, and with Projects, Renaissance looks like it will be.

Seriously. What are the odds that Ducat and CSM are in the same kingdom? Less than the odds that there are multiple village, +3 card, or curser variants. And if they are in the same kingdom, well now you might have a decision to make.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 12, 2018, 03:21:46 am »
+1

I always have trouble keeping Spice Merchant and Silk Road straight in terms of the names. Silk Merchant will help a lot.  ;D

Silk Merchant is the second card from this expansion where I've read the name and thought "I swear that's already a card..."
We'll be saying the same thing when Spice Road makes an appearance ;)
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 12, 2018, 04:19:32 pm »

Some cards have translation difficulties in Chinese. Such as Thief/Bandit/Rogue.

The same issue did occur in German.

Wandering Minstrel and Bard have their translations swapped, because Wandering Minstrel was already translated as "Barde". They somehow decided to translate Bard with "Minnesängerin" (female minstrel).

Fortune Teller/Soothsayer/Seer: Soothsayer is generic masculinum "Wahrsager" and Fortune Teller uses the female form "Wahrsagerin". Seer was translated literally as "Seher".
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 04:21:09 pm by King Leon »

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 12, 2018, 08:33:06 pm »

Also, even though the spelling is different, I will never read "Ducat" without picturing this:

And every time I look at the card, I feel like it should have a color more of an Obsidian Order.
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 21, 2018, 12:53:12 am »
+1

Some plausible future card names that would be doublets of existing cards: Peon, Money, State, Esquire, Eremite, Fief, Fee

Less likely ones: Bench, Fabric, Place, Guy, Wit, Fjord

Ah, how did I not think of Piazza?  Now we’ve got two exact doublets!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.