Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Renaissance Previews #2: Acting Troupe, Sculptor, Recruiter  (Read 55039 times)

vishwathg

• Navigator
  • Respect: +92
    • View Profile
Re: Renaissance Previews #2: Acting Troupe, Sculptor, Recruiter
« Reply #100 on: September 26, 2018, 09:11:22 pm »

Come to think of it, I will have to think about which Villager-giving cards count as 'Villages' in my random kingdom generator.

I think it’s a case-by-case thing. Acting Troupe and Recruiter count as villages. Sculptor and Silk Merchant don’t.

I think they should all count. They all enable more than one terminal action to be played in the same turn.

But they don't let you play any two terminals. (Unless there's a gainer which gives +1 Action. Is there?) Oh wait, I'm stupid. I don't know how to classify them.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 09:17:55 pm by vishwathg »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 26, 2018, 09:18:50 pm »
+1

Come to think of it, I will have to think about which Villager-giving cards count as 'Villages' in my random kingdom generator.

I think it’s a case-by-case thing. Acting Troupe and Recruiter count as villages. Sculptor and Silk Merchant don’t.

I think they should all count. They all enable more than one terminal action to be played in the same turn.

For pedantic purposes, sure. For a kingdom generator, no.

Isn't the purpose of "always include a Village" in a Kingdom generator more or less to "always provide me with a way to play multiple terminals per turn"?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 26, 2018, 09:48:53 pm »
+12

Isn't the purpose of "always include a Village" in a Kingdom generator more or less to "always provide me with a way to play multiple terminals per turn"?

To borrow an old saying: Knowledge is knowing that Silk Merchant is a village. Wisdom is not trying to use it as one.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 08:37:14 am by LostPhoenix »

silvern

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 26, 2018, 10:37:57 pm »
+7

To borrow an old saying: Knowledge is knowing that Silk Road is a village. Wisdom is not trying to use it as one.
...and true mastery is realizing that Silk Road isn't an action at all!

(sorry, sorry)

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 27, 2018, 04:07:07 am »

To borrow an old saying: Knowledge is knowing that Silk Road is a village. Wisdom is not trying to use it as one.

(sorry, sorry)

Mountain Village is an obvious yes.
Sculptor is a no as it only provides at most one Villager on each play.

Acting Troupe and Recruiter are harder, they can provide more than one action on each play, but Acting Troupe's actions are limited by the Acting Troupe piles and Recruiter's actions are limited by every pile with a value of $1 or more. Although, looking at what my program already has, Procession has the 'village' tag, and it requires an action sacrifice to do so, so Recruiter would be a 'yes'.
By the same reasoning Recruiter should be a village, even if there's only ten of them.

Silk Merchant is hardest, as it doesn't give Villagers on play, but on gain/trash. With Lurker or a gainer + Watchtower it can be. Intuitively I would say 'no', but I want a better reason.

Yes. With the inclusion of 'assuming there's cards with +1 action', so Throne Room variants and Teacher/Lost Arts also count.

Although in my generator there's a bunch of properties, like 'village', and you give it a minimum and maximum for those kinds of cards, so I can say 'I want 1 to 3' villages and it will give a kingdom with one of those amounts (if possible).

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 27, 2018, 12:51:29 pm »

When counting up villages in the set, I believe Donald X. counted Acting Troupe and Recruiter, but not Silk Merchant or Sculptor.

If I used a randomizer and specified at least one village, and the only village was Acting Troupe or Recruiter, I'd be like, "Yeah, OK, this'll be interesting." If I got Silk Merchant or Sculptor, I'd re-roll. They're not villages for practical purposes in most games.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 27, 2018, 01:00:55 pm »

Silk Merchant is about as much of a village as Pixie.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Dwhit

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 27, 2018, 06:30:28 pm »

(sorry, sorry)

Mountain Village is an obvious yes.
Sculptor is a no as it only provides at most one Villager on each play.

Acting Troupe and Recruiter are harder, they can provide more than one action on each play, but Acting Troupe's actions are limited by the Acting Troupe piles and Recruiter's actions are limited by every pile with a value of $1 or more. Although, looking at what my program already has, Procession has the 'village' tag, and it requires an action sacrifice to do so, so Recruiter would be a 'yes'.
By the same reasoning Recruiter should be a village, even if there's only ten of them.

Silk Merchant is hardest, as it doesn't give Villagers on play, but on gain/trash. With Lurker or a gainer + Watchtower it can be. Intuitively I would say 'no', but I want a better reason.

Yes. With the inclusion of 'assuming there's cards with +1 action', so Throne Room variants and Teacher/Lost Arts also count.

Although in my generator there's a bunch of properties, like 'village', and you give it a minimum and maximum for those kinds of cards, so I can say 'I want 1 to 3' villages and it will give a kingdom with one of those amounts (if possible).

If you classify tactician as a village then sculptor should be as well.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 27, 2018, 07:19:34 pm »

Now we just need tokens called "splits".
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.