Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Renaissance Previews #2: Acting Troupe, Sculptor, Recruiter  (Read 55020 times)

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
Renaissance Previews #2: Acting Troupe, Sculptor, Recruiter
« on: September 25, 2018, 03:00:05 am »
+53

Villagers are like Coffers but for Actions. I guess that explanation would have been simpler tomorrow. +1 Villager means you add a token to the Villagers side of your Coffers / Villagers mat. You can remove the token for +1 Action in your Action phase. It's a +1 Action you can save. The actual tokens are coins, but don't be fooled, they do double duty. I will tell you now, it's so nice just using one type of token. So anyway, Villagers.

Acting Troupe gets right to the point: 4 tokens, it's gone. How much of a village is that exactly; what decks are possible when this is the only village-like thing? As always I leave those questions to you.

Sculptor is that rare animal, a Workshop that gains cards directly to your hand. Watch out. If you gain an Action you won't necessarily be able to play it that turn... but wait, you might have Villagers from previous plays of Sculptor. They thought of everything.

Recruiter can let you really go nuts getting Villagers. Don't go too nuts; you don't need a giant pile of Villagers sitting there.

If you missed yesterday's preview, I am here to tell you that you can try these cards right now at dominion.games. If you did catch yesterday's preview, I'm just wasting your time now.

Jfrisch

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
Re: Renaissance Previews #2: Acting Troupe, Sculptor, Recruiter
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 03:27:42 am »
+3

Recruiter looks insane.
Sculptor looks quite good but not OP by any means.
Acting Troupe looks hard to judge, though quite often worth getting one.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 03:29:51 am by Jfrisch »

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 03:36:56 am »
+8

Seems like Recruiter is recruiting Villagers for the revolution.  Now I have a ton of Villagers and everyone else is dead.

This might not be the right game for me.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 03:49:54 am »
+1

Well.  I used some Seers to draw a bunch of Silvers I gained with Sculptor, and then I Mined one into a Gold and Sculpted a Remodel to turn the Gold into a Province with 4 Silvers to spare.  It was good enough to edge out a win against Lord Rattington... with first-turn advantage.

This is basically the Inception Meme from classic Homage thread.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 03:55:46 am »

Recruiter seems to be an accelerator in a similar vein as Apprentice. Like Champion, it is difficult to prepare for it with stacking dead drawers.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 04:01:57 am »
+1

All 8 cards we've seen from the preview are very interesting. This expansion looks very promising.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 04:05:18 am »
+2

So, Acting Troupe is the 3-word card? I guess written numbers and signs don't count. Overall I love the direction Renaissance is taking. And unlike Feast, Acting Troupe looks actually interesting. Now you can have engines that collapse on their own in the long run.

Sculptor looks pretty great. At its worst, it's a nonterminal Explorer, but those Villagers are of course much more flexible, and so is the gaining effect. I like how here again, a simple wording makes for a card with many decisions.

And Recruiter will obviously be insane in the early game, but as it - unlike e.g. Baron - trashes the card, that will soon stop. Re-buying Estates doesn't seem worth it to me. Not sure what I think of it other than that you will probably want these earliest you can.

Ethan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 04:15:23 am »
+4

+2 card then trash a card is strong for me. Only Masquerade do this before. And there is villagers...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 04:17:50 am by Ethan »

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 04:42:15 am »

Now you can have engines that collapse on their own in the long run.

These already exist with the concept of chains (Cultist or Sauna/Avanto). Even extra Labs make them choke.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

MrFrog

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrFrog
  • Respect: +101
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 05:13:13 am »

Is Acting Troupe actually playable online at the moment? In all my games I got either Recruiter or Sculptor.

EDIT: Ah, finally, in my 15th game or so. :)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 08:14:50 am by MrFrog »

samath

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: SamE
  • Respect: +678
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 05:16:27 am »
+3

My video review with commentary, games with markus and discussion featuring Stef and Donald X., among others, is up (or will be shortly):

Malta1978

• Pawn
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2018, 05:44:38 am »

Seer+Ferry event was kind of nice. So far, it seems most of the new cards depend on a working engine and +buy to be efficient.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 05:47:37 am by Malta1978 »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2018, 06:03:42 am »

Now you can have engines that collapse on their own in the long run.

These already exist with the concept of chains (Cultist or Sauna/Avanto). Even extra Labs make them choke.

Those choke. Having Cultist/Sauna choke on Labs is no different than Markets choking on Militias or any engine choking on green. Acting Troupe gives you decks which run out of fuel even if your deck itself stays the same.

schoeggu

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2018, 06:04:52 am »
+7

Recruiter / Fortress. Awesome Engine or just Village Idiot on steroids?

ossiangrr

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2018, 06:07:50 am »
+1

So the Sculptor can either sculpt something now, or get paid a silver to sculpt something later. I like these minor thematic touches.

ossiangrr

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2018, 06:25:15 am »
+7

Also, if the box only includes coins to represent Villagers, I'm sure I won't be the only one to grab a pile of meeples from another game and use them instead :)

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2018, 06:34:06 am »

The closest thing to Villagers we currently have is Coin of the Realm. Villager tokens are coins. Neat.

Diadem basically turns Villagers into Coffers. The tokens are coins for both. Neat.

How do the tokens do double duty? Two mats? One mat with two sides? Double-sided coins?

Sculptor + Cemetery is cute.

No +Buys yet, but I'm sure they'll be there. Same for non-attack interactions. I hope to see some of those soon because they're my favourite kind of cards.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2018, 06:34:39 am »

Also, if the box only includes coins to represent Villagers, I'm sure I won't be the only one to grab a pile of meeples from another game and use them instead :)

Man, now I kind of wish the Villagers were Meeples...

Anyway, the main problem I see with the Villagers (or at least these cards anyway) is that they're inconsistent. In an engine you want a way to get +actions every turn, and these don't really provide that. But they'll be good in the opening I guess, especially Acting Troupe. Anyway, my opinion might change after playing with them.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2018, 06:44:36 am »
+2

How do the tokens do double duty? Two mats? One mat with two sides? Double-sided coins?

Donald made it sound like it was one mat divided in half, with a side for coffers and a side for villagers.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

k1511asd

• Pearl Diver
  • Shuffle iT Username: k1511asd
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2018, 06:59:06 am »
+3

Is it a bug that you can't use village tokens while you have no action cards in hand? Or that's the rule?
That does matter when playing diadem.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2018, 07:10:29 am »
+2

Donald made it sound like it was one mat divided in half, with a side for coffers and a side for villagers.
Correct, it's the size of the Seaside mats but divided into a top and bottom. The idea here is, you only want so much of your table space taken up with mats.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2018, 07:11:36 am »
+1

Is it a bug that you can't use village tokens while you have no action cards in hand? Or that's the rule?
That does matter when playing diadem.
Did you try clicking on the icon? It may be a bug, or at least, a feature not implemented yet. The idea is to give you a way to use villagers even with no Action cards in hand, for both Diadem and Possession.

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2018, 07:21:07 am »
+4

just gonna leave that here too

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2018, 07:31:28 am »
+1

So they are not called "Actors", but then you have Acting Troupe that gets you a bunch of Villagers. "Villagers" sounds so intuitive, it seems like an obvious naming choice in retrospect.

Acting Troupe as a replacement for village is tricky because they eventually run out, but then this is a push to try ending the game. Alternatively, you can use several to hoard Villagers in order to try pushing for a mega turn. They also work with Throne Room for 8 Villagers, one of which you can spend right away to continue the turn. Acting Troupe is also nice as a one-of in a deck that has villages already to help with reliability, kind of like Coin of the Realm.

Sculptor seems nice for getting early economy while trashing aggressively, and then it can move to gaining nice actions, possibly with previously acquired Villagers. Still, at $5 it is pricy.

Recruiter seems very powerful. Use it early to trash Estates and Coppers while getting some Villagers to have it go from a Moat to a Lab if need be. In a deck with +buy or +gain, you can use it as a source of actions for your 2-3 terminals so long as you trash a $5 every other turn. You even get to trash after the draw, though the trashing is mandatory.

All in all, I like these cards.

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2018, 07:36:55 am »

I like them, especially Sculptor. I predicted something similar to Recruiter some time ago but then again Salvager for Villagers instead of Coins is kind of a natural idea.

Acting Troupe is also nice as a one-of in a deck that has villages already to help with reliability, kind of like Coin of the Realm.
I guess that adding reliability to an engine is the main use of the card.
While I don't think that is is impossible to run an engine with just Acting Troupe (with gainers it is certainly feasible) I guess that it will be harder than without an ordinary Village.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 07:41:36 am by Holunder9 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 20 queries.