Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: IsoDom 3 Finals!  (Read 5307 times)

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
IsoDom 3 Finals!
« on: March 04, 2012, 05:31:45 am »
+2

<b>Big ups to Fabian for his win!</b>

To begin with, I would like to thank all of you for helping make this another fun and successful tournament.  What a superb community we have here.

In the red corner, coming straight out of MIT and the qualifying bracket, with a career record of 779-567-7 and a tournament record of 12-6: our over-performing underdogging Sim-Master rspeer!

In the white corner, coming straight out of the top ten and our overall #1 seed, with a career record of 1984-1287-84 and a tournament record of 12-6: my most feared opponent Fabian!

This week's custom kingdom, brought to you by Geronimoo, will be:

Black Market, Throne Room, Native Village, Menagerie, Quarry, Ironworks, Nobles, Golem, Spy, Fairgrounds

Good, luck, fellas.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 03:32:16 am by Mean Mr Mustard »
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
Re: IsoDom 3 Finals!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 05:35:30 am »

7 draws lifetime blows my mind. How is that even possible? I might have had 7 draws in a single day before.

Edit: Also can we get some trash talking, sidebetting, speculating on the kingdom and etc going in here? I'm willing to bet on rspeer (and then throw the match if I'd get paid enough) :D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 05:38:41 am by Fabian »

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 09:07:14 am »
+2

Although Fabian is a fellow European, I'm rooting for rspeer! Go simulators!

Hint for rspeer for the Kingdom I designed:

Code: [Select]
public class IronworksCard(){
  int getPlayPriority(){
    if (cardsInHand.contains(BlackMarket) && cardsInHand.contains(Quarry) && actionsLeft>1)
        return 0;
    return 1000;
  }
}

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 04:31:11 pm »

Grrr someone translate that moonspeak into something I can understand please, that is so unfair :)

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 04:43:25 pm »
+1

I think he wants to play Ironworks unless he has a Black Market and Quarry in hand, in which case he (presumably) wants to play BM instead.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 05:42:16 pm »

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's saying not to play Ironworks if black market and quarry are in hand AND there's more than one action left. Which implies to go for a quarry/Black Market(/Nobles) strategy, probably into fairgrounds.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 06:10:55 pm »

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's saying not to play Ironworks if black market and quarry are in hand AND there's more than one action left. Which implies to go for a quarry/Black Market(/Nobles) strategy, probably into fairgrounds.

Then I've been doing it right all these test games! (2)

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 03:50:44 am »
+2

Go Fabien! ;)

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 04:02:12 am »

Wow, i have no idea how I've only managed to have 7 draws ever. Do I just not notice opportunities to draw when I'm behind?

On to the final! Thanks, Geronimoo, for the oblique hint -- though of course I doubt that's the only thing going on in your kingdom.

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 09:21:13 am »

Someone better take advantage of the broken spy/native village combo!

rspeer

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 08:43:15 pm »

We're going to play the final tonight / this morning, at 1:00 EST = 6:00 GMT = 7:00 CEST.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 01:55:40 am »

I'm there now and "watching". I really wish there was a way to spectate.

rspeer

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 02:25:31 am »
+1

And Fabian earns himself the IsoDom 3 title, defeating me 4-1. (There were a couple of close games in there. But the one I won was a BM/Smithy mirror match.) Congratulations Fabian!

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 02:49:39 am »
+6

Fabian beats rspeer 4-1

Game 1 Fabian 51 - -100 rspeer
This kingdom was really nicely designed I think. I played it a lot earlier today and yesterday, I must have done 30 or more solitaire games with it. What I learned was that there was pretty huge variation in how games played out (not surprising in a Black Market kingdom I guess). +buy cards seemed to be pretty important, and attacks seemed like they could be kinda critical too. The overall game plan I quickly came up with was open Ironworks/Black Market or Quarry/Black Market (I couldn't really decide which I liked better), quickly gaining another Ironworks, another Quarry and (probably) another Black Market. From there, the plan was to gain Throne Rooms with Ironworks, hoping to hit $4 with a Quarry to buy Nobles (which were super important) and eventually getting the combo (two actions, BM, Quarry, Ironworks/(Throne Room(s)), hopefully before the opponent did. During this, you also wanted to gain at least one of all the other cards (except Golem) as you saw fit, and start buying Fairgrounds once you could draw the deck. You'd also be gaining lots of free cards from the Black Market deck with your two Quarries, hopefully cards which would further help you draw the deck and/or buy more nice stuff, etc.

This was the basic game plan I had going into the game, but I knew things could change drastically depending on what came up in the Black Market deck. On my first BM play I found a Horse Traders, which made me happy; as per above, +buy cards should be highly useful. rspeer then proceeded to pull a Goons out of the deck on turn 5, which almost made me want to cry. Other than the Goons, things seemed to go well for me though, and I started gaining Throne Rooms by turn 6, where I also got to buy a Nobles. I bought some more stuff, gained some more Throne Rooms, got another Nobles on turn 9, and after turn 10 and on my deck was pretty much ready to do good things, with me picking up Council Room and Envoy from a Throne Room'd Black Market. Fairgrounds + 4 Nobles and a Laboratory on turn 11 when the combo goes off for the first time, 2 Fairgrounds, 3 Throne Room, Torturer, Scheme on turn 12 and 3 Fairgrounds/4 Throne Room/2 random cards on turn 13. Nice deck! rspeer resigns at this point since the game was very close to 3-piling. I'm very happy with my plan, my play, and my draw in this game, although I'm sure Geronimoo will be here momentarily to let me know how bad it was. The kingdom certainly had potential for some busted things; this is from one of my solitaire games, and not really the "best" one I got, either:

The game is over! (Nobles, Fairgrounds, and Throne Rooms are all gone.)
Fabian has 105 points (8 Fairgrounds [20 different cards], 18 ▼, 8 Nobles, 4 Estates, and a Duchy) and took 15 turns.

Thanks also to variance for playing two test games with me, it was good to have some feel for what it was like in 2 player mode, rather than solitaire :)

Game 2 Fabian 27 - 33 rspeer
After playing that fun engine board for 30+ games, it took my brain a while to realize that this kingdom seemed to be a Smithy/BM kingdom. I buy 2 Smithy to rspeer's 1, I seem to be doing pretty well with an extra Gold, but when rspeer needs both remaining Provinces to win, he gets there while I get to $7. Oh well, not the most interesting game.

Game 3 Fabian 43 - 34 rspeer
Ambassador game where we both move into Minions, splitting them 5/5. His deck seems better than mine and I don't like my chances, but he starts greening a bit early probably, and I decide that prolonging the game with some more Ambassadoring should work in my favor, as his deck is pretty big and with 5 Minions and not that much else going on in terms of buying power, he should have a hard time getting to Provinces. When he starts buying Duchies, I feel even better about it all. My deck isn't exactly a collection of sunshine and rainbows either, but slowly but surely I gnaw my way towards the Provinces, eventually winning without too much fear.

Game 4 Fabian 28 - 25 rspeer
Another (mostly) Big Money board. rspeer begins with a Lookout, which I feel is a mistake, and I feel pretty good as early as turn 2 with my Silver/Silver opening to his Lookout/Silver. I figure I'll both gain a tie-break advantage from his trashed Estates, while his deck won't have time to make up for the lost tempo in not getting Silver + having a "dead" card in hand when he draws Lookout. I buy a Stables to complement my BM deck, and after he picks up a Tactician, I feel like I'm ahead and can probably afford to fortify my lead with a Tactician of my own, which I figure should secure victory if I ever get to play it. This might have been a mistake; in any case I never play it. Much like in game 2, rspeer needs both remaining Provines to win, only this time I get to $8 instead of $7 after he buys the penultimate one.

Game 5 Fabian 42 - rspeer 24
This is a King's Court/Mountebank board, and I spend the entire game feeling hopelessely behind. He gets to Mountebank on the first reshuffle while I don't, he fires a Mountebank before the second reshuffle which I don't, he buys a King's Court on time (to be fair, so do I), my first KC misses any other action cards while he plays more Mountebanks and buys another King's Court. Basically I feel like I'm completely dead, and it doesn't help when he gets KC+Mountebank on turn 11 and KC+Saboteur on turn 13, getting one of my two KC's in the process. Somehow I draw really well from that point on though, including two KC+Mountebank turns (with only one KC in the deck) in the mid/lategame which allow me to buy consecutive Provinces, and in the end I win the Province race 5-2, somehow, and rspeer isn't even close to being able to catch up with the remaining victory cards. I feel like I got very lucky to win this game, both me and rspeer were like "so how did that happen?" after the game was done.

Very happy to have won my first IsoDom tournament, overall I've been pretty satisfied with my play too, so I have few regrets. Thanks to all my opponents and to Mustard for organizing things :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 03:02:00 am by Fabian »

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 05:02:38 am »
+2

Congrats Fabian!

Now I feel a little better.. :)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.