Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Author Topic: Renaissance Previews #1: Mountain Village, Priest, Seer, Scholar, Experiment  (Read 73309 times)

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
Re: Renaissance Previews #1: Mountain Village, Priest, Seer, Scholar, Experiment
« Reply #125 on: September 28, 2018, 08:31:34 am »

Like if the first thing you thought when you saw Scholar was "ITS PROFESSOR SYCAMORE!"

I thought "I am a scholar. Neat."

arishipshape

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: arishipshape
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
Re: Renaissance Previews #1: Mountain Village, Priest, Seer, Scholar, Experiment
« Reply #126 on: September 28, 2018, 03:26:39 pm »

Like if the first thing you thought when you saw Scholar was "ITS PROFESSOR SYCAMORE!"

Nope, I thought, it was Professor Oak. But you are more precise, because Oak is a normal Trainer card (nowadays called ltem card) and thus non-terminal, where Sycamore and Juniper are Supporter cards, which are comparable to terminal actions in the Dominion world.

Finally, someone on the internet that actually recognized all the nuance and complexities of what I posted! And from another card game no less!

More importantly, would experiment plus a few lurkers make them basically labs? Seeing as lurker "gains" from the trash whenever you get one from the trash you get another from the supply, offsetting the card it took you to gain it again.
Words I like: Flourish, Mountebank, Masquerade, Cogitate, Touché, Aerial ace, Tricorn, Shenanigans

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 28, 2018, 03:54:22 pm »

How many Experiments are there? We have 12 Ports, will we also have 12 Experiments?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 28, 2018, 03:58:59 pm »
+2

How many Experiments are there? We have 12 Ports, will we also have 12 Experiments?

Just 10.  The fact that they return to the Supply makes it fine.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ben_king

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ben.king
  • formerly grsbmd
  • Respect: +612
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 28, 2018, 04:00:08 pm »

At least on the digital client, it's only 10.  And based on the numbers Donald X. has provided, it will need to be 10 to make the math work out.

The split of Ports tends to be important.  12 splits evenly for 2, 3, and 4 players.  The split doesn't matter as much for Experiments, since they go back to the pile.

dane-m

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: dane-m
  • Respect: +196
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 28, 2018, 05:13:16 pm »
+5

The split of Ports tends to be important.  12 splits evenly for 2, 3, and 4 players.  The split doesn't matter as much for Experiments, since they go back to the pile.
Although 12 splits evenly for four players, six, which is the number of buys it takes to clear the Ports pile, doesn't.

Reykjavik

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 28, 2018, 10:14:48 pm »
+2

Mountain village is one of my new favorite cards, the synergy with scrying pool is pretty sweet, it also does beastly things with travelers, and any time you need to line two specific cards up (prince, legionnaire, encampment, tournament, etc). It doesn't play well with some sifters, but it isn't unplayable there. It actually does play pretty nice with cellar, because for each mountain village in your hand you can discard an extra good card to be picked back up, which isn't any better than playing a vanilla village first, then cellar, but it isn't any worse either.

Mountain village just gives you a lot of control, and drawing 1 card of your choice out of a potentially fairly large pool is pretty strong. It doesn't cycle your deck as much, but what you get in return is so much more flexibility.

The_Wine_Merchant

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: TWM
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 29, 2018, 12:17:29 am »
+4

I am a bit inebriated, but I actually read the entire introductory paragraph before reading the actual cards. Been a way from Dominion for a while, so wasn't aware until now that there was a new set.
Wins: M91, M96, NM10, M98, M102, M105
Losses: M100, M103, M104, M109, M112

MVPs: M91, M96
Win percentage: 54.5 (6/11)

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 29, 2018, 09:37:22 am »

Seer does pretty well with Cellar.  Much better than Cellar-Laboratory.  $10, 2 Buys is pretty great in a Cellar-Seer board.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 30, 2018, 03:27:39 pm »

Maybe this will be in the Secret History, but...

Given the question asked here, which indeed seems like it may be a common source of confusion... is there a reason that Priest isn't simply "While this is play"? Of course it would be weaker when combo'd with Throne Room, Procession, etc... but in most situations it should play the same, and end up just being much simpler wording with less need for tracking.

Asking because other cards moved towards the "while this is play" to help with tracking issues, such as the change from Bridge to Highway.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 30, 2018, 04:01:44 pm »
+2

Given how many cards are "while this is in play", I'm forced to conclude that Priest was intentionally strengthened. Who knows how many other opportunities there are in Renaissance to play a card twice and/or trash a card that's in play?

What surprises me more is why the wording wasn't "For the rest of this turn, when you trash a card, +$2. Trash a card from your hand." That would be a little more powerful with Sewers, a little weaker when Priest was the last card in your hand, but those feel pretty minor, and I at least find that wording a lot clearer.

I mean, I only had to read Priest twice to get it, even with the current wording, but still...

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 30, 2018, 04:13:31 pm »

Given how many cards are "while this is in play", I'm forced to conclude that Priest was intentionally strengthened. Who knows how many other opportunities there are in Renaissance to play a card twice and/or trash a card that's in play?

What surprises me more is why the wording wasn't "For the rest of this turn, when you trash a card, +$2. Trash a card from your hand." That would be a little more powerful with Sewers, a little weaker when Priest was the last card in your hand, but those feel pretty minor, and I at least find that wording a lot clearer.

I mean, I only had to read Priest twice to get it, even with the current wording, but still...

DXV just wants his Priest-Sewer board to be the most incorrectly-played game of 2018 printed edition.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 30, 2018, 07:34:39 pm »
+4

Given the question asked here, which indeed seems like it may be a common source of confusion... is there a reason that Priest isn't simply "While this is play"? Of course it would be weaker when combo'd with Throne Room, Procession, etc... but in most situations it should play the same, and end up just being much simpler wording with less need for tracking.

Asking because other cards moved towards the "while this is play" to help with tracking issues, such as the change from Bridge to Highway.
My feeling for some years was that "while this is in play" was better than "this turn," as evidenced by e.g. Bridge Troll not matching Bridge. But, focused on simplicity for Renaissance, I decided that "this turn" was actually the simpler thing. People get tripped up by "while this is in play" in various ways. The card will normally be in play - I don't need to blame new cards for Procession.

If I had anticipated the Sewers question, I would have looked harder at putting the "this turn" ability ahead of the trashing on Priest. It was something I considered, but it seemed simpler to have the +$2 at the top, and well I didn't anticipate the question.

Fuu

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Fuu
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile

Scholar is like Professor Oak from Pokémon, which is cute.

I just started playing Pokémon online a few days before the preview, so yes this was definitely my first thought, and the name "Scholar" seemed like a nod to this.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile

Another card that interacts directly with Sewers: Forager!
You can trash a Copper, then trash a Silver with Sewers before Forager checks the trash. Not going to matter very often, but theoretically.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.