Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Author Topic: Renaissance Previews #1: Mountain Village, Priest, Seer, Scholar, Experiment  (Read 73306 times)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
Re: Renaissance Previews #1: Mountain Village, Priest, Seer, Scholar, Experiment
« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2018, 07:51:07 pm »
+2

You could also use Travellinng Fair and Bonfire with 4 or more Priests to produce $3 or more per card you have in play. Could be a useful last turn gambit, and hey that's just a two card combo.

That’s still three, Priest+Travelling Fair+Bonfire.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

vishwathg

• Navigator
  • Respect: +92
    • View Profile
Re: Renaissance Previews #1: Mountain Village, Priest, Seer, Scholar, Experiment
« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2018, 08:22:33 pm »
+6

A couple hours ago, I played a game where I inherited Seers. I started drawing deck on turn 9.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2018, 10:26:51 pm »
+1

First impressions:

Seer is fun. It's a Scout that's actually satisfying. Its strength seems very conditional; even on boards where it has bonkers potential it's limited by its self-antisynergy. The deck-rearranging can help you get the most out of it though. It's pretty great with Baron since Baron is $4 and Estate is $2. Drawing 3 Barons with it was awesome.

Scholar is also fun. It's Minion without the stupid! I think it's probably better than Library. It can't set aside actions, but clearing your hand of dead cards for the next 7 is pretty great.

Priest I haven't been impressed by, yet. It seems like you need a lot in place for its potential to be unleashed; it didn't do much on the boards I've played with it.

Experiment: hard to know what to make of this yet. It seems like usually you'll want to use them as soon as you can, since not playing them when you draw them effectively makes them anti-labs (i.e. dead cards.)

Mountain Village: haven't played with it yet but it looks... weak? It seems to have similar problems as Harbinger.

Oh, and Seer + Experiment.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 10:34:28 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

Ethan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2018, 11:23:38 pm »
+2

do less is do more. wonderful cards

Jacob marley

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jacob Marley
  • Respect: +139
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2018, 11:58:00 pm »
+3

Ironworks+Experiment = The gift that keeps on giving.

sorawotobu

• Spy
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2018, 12:12:08 am »
+1

Ironworks+Experiment = The gift that keeps on giving.

Just played a game where my draw engine was Experiment+Talisman+Tracker. I gained ~30 Experiments.

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2018, 06:08:51 am »

Priest likes Treasure/Night trashers obviously.

Good luck spending that money at night.

I wanted to say 'Devil's Workshop + Villa' but there's that 'if it's your buy phase'-clause. As far as I can find there is no niche case where you can benefit from the virtual coin you can get with priest + night trashers.

Priest I haven't been impressed by, yet. It seems like you need a lot in place for its potential to be unleashed; it didn't do much on the boards I've played with it.

To use it for virtual coin in an engine you need actions, draw, gainers, buy.
But even to get the extra benefit ONCE you need a village, a Priest, something to trash with the Priest, something else that can trash, and something else to trash with the something else that can trash (ignoring combinations of said components). That's a lot to line up.

I haven't played with it but it looks like it will usually play like an early-game Salvager or Moneylender.

Also, how good is the 'card from discard into hand' on Mountain Village?

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2018, 06:15:24 am »
+8

As far as I can find there is no niche case where you can benefit from the virtual coin you can get with priest + night trashers.
It's Ball.

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2018, 06:35:29 am »

As far as I can find there is no niche case where you can benefit from the virtual coin you can get with priest + night trashers.
It's Ball.

Nice.

I totally forgot about the -$1 token.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2018, 07:05:34 am »
+7

It's Ball.

Or Capital.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2018, 10:10:58 am »

Before Priest, how many ways were there to generate $ during your buy phase? Was it just +$1 token on Crown/Plunder/Rocks?

Its interesting then that + X Coffers is not always preferable to + $X, since the Coffers you get from Merchant Guild during the buy phase are not available until the next turn.

I wonder if Priest was tested with giving Coffers instead.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2018, 10:25:28 am »
+1

Before Priest, how many ways were there to generate $ during your buy phase? Was it just +$1 token on Crown/Plunder/Rocks?

There was also spending coin tokens.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2018, 10:29:17 am »
+4

Well, almost all Treasure cards :P

The unique thing Priest does is generate $ after you have already bought a card in the same buy phase.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2018, 10:34:08 am »

Merchant?

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2018, 11:18:20 am »

It's Ball.
Or Capital.
I've just noticed discarding Capital lets you pay off any debt, not just the Capital's debt.

Now I'm wondering about fancy tricks to clear an epic Mountain Pass debt...

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2018, 11:21:07 am »

I'm also wondering why Wine Merchant triggers on end of Buy phase rather than during Clean-up. Good for Villa shenanigans; bad for Priest shenanigans.

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2018, 03:30:57 pm »

Some basic net effects analysis: gaining Experiments via Workshop is a delayed, "smeared" (unlike Durations potentially distributed over more than just the next turn) Moat whereas gaining them via Ironworks is a delayed, "smeared" Laboratory.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2018, 04:03:24 pm »

Priest and Scholar should have “you may ... if you do ...”, because of Golem and Herald.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 04:34:04 pm by King Leon »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 25, 2018, 04:28:43 pm »

Priest and Scholar should have “you may ... if you do ...”, because of Golem and Herold.

Why?

EDIT: Do you mean Harald?

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 25, 2018, 04:38:11 pm »

Priest and Scholar should have “you may ... if you do ...”, because of Golem and Herold.

Why?

Fixed it. Btw: Golem + Tactician + Scholar is nice, although Library would work better than Scholar here. But if you reveal Menagerie and Scholar with Golem, you probably don't want to play Scholar.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2018, 04:41:53 pm »
+1

Why?

Is this intentional?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Squidd

• Golem
  • Respect: +603
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2018, 04:44:07 pm »
+1

Some cards are risky to put in a Golem/Herald deck. That's fine.

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 25, 2018, 04:45:50 pm »

You mean Trade Route, Forager and Rats?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2018, 04:50:58 pm »

You mean Trade Route, Forager and Rats?

And Upgrade, and Junk Dealer. And Masquerade. And Remake. And Forge. Trading Post. Count. Remodel, Replace, Expand, Develop, Stonemason, Zombie Mason, Exorcist, Dismantle. Salvager, Apprentice, Bishop, Trader.

Those too.

*Edit* Oh, Lookout and Small Castle. And Catapult.

And Island. Technically Ambassador also.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 04:53:17 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.