Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Renaissance Previews #1: Mountain Village, Priest, Seer, Scholar, Experiment  (Read 73301 times)

silvern

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
Re: Renaissance Previews #1: Mountain Village, Priest, Seer, Scholar, Experiment
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2018, 08:38:50 am »
+2

Again, dominion.games, you can try out the cards right now (yes unless you are reading this from the future).

Everything you read, you are reading from the future!

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
Re: Renaissance Previews #1: Mountain Village, Priest, Seer, Scholar, Experiment
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2018, 08:48:03 am »
+7

Woo! Simple cards with interesting emergent properties. Exactly what attracted me to Dominion in the first place all those years ago. Not too demanding; not too frivolous or swingy. We're back in the Goldilocks zone! (-8

(I see Seer and think we've had that name before. Nope, it was Sage in Dark Ages. I expect I'm going to get those two confused a lot...)

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2018, 08:57:18 am »

I've just noticed that 1 Scheme and any number of Mountain Villages would be self-sustaining:

Start your turn with a Mountain Village in hand. Cascade through playing and drawing all the Mountain Villages in your discard pile. When you play the final Mountain Village, draw Scheme and play it. During clean-up, topdeck one Mountain Village.

That's not overpowered. It might not even be a winning play. But messing about with these new cards is going to be so much fun!

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2018, 09:16:35 am »

I've just noticed that 1 Scheme and any number of Mountain Villages would be self-sustaining:

Start your turn with a Mountain Village in hand. Cascade through playing and drawing all the Mountain Villages in your discard pile. When you play the final Mountain Village, draw Scheme and play it. During clean-up, topdeck one Mountain Village.

That's not overpowered. It might not even be a winning play. But messing about with these new cards is going to be so much fun!
This only works if you have at least 4 cards left in your draw pile at the end of your turn, so you don't cause a reshuffle.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2018, 09:23:36 am »

Get rekt Harbinger.

I fear tracking issues with Priest during complex turns, but otherwise I like it and the role it fills. The first one does less than Moneylender when trashing Copper, but can trash anything else and still get the +$2. It is also reminiscent of Sacrifice.

Seer has that nice price point range for its draws that keeps it from drawing itself but will help you find your support cards, including most villages. It lets you topdeck the rest too, that's an impressive bundle.

Is Scholar supposed to be the card with only 4 words? Naturally Scholar entices Draw-to-X support cards, but it does discard everything in your hand, so it feels more risky. Really want good deck tracking with it, even if you are just using it as a 5-cost smithy variant. The deck cycling is maybe relevant also.

Experiment seemed really powerful to me at first, as it's two Labs at the cost of $3 and a buy each turn, but so is Expedition. Experiments can have more synergy, but you don't get the draw at the start of the turn.

My schedule is a bit scrambled this week, but I'll try to give my impressions in video form for all the previews sometime before the set comes out. Also, today's previews give me an Alchemy feel.

Random art complaint: It's nice that we get an equal share of female characters now, but I dislike the tendency of portaying them young and attractive. Here we have two old dudes and two younger women.

I don't know, that scholar looks a bit aged on closer inspection, or perhaps just worn out. Still an interesting observation.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2018, 09:26:52 am »

Scholar seems like a Library variant; but I would guess it's a good bit stronger. Extra cycling, and if you have enough Villages (or Villagers?) you can play all the good stuff from your hand first anyway; thus discarding only treasures and victory.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

silvern

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2018, 09:42:34 am »

Just played a lightning fast gardens match with mountain village + workshop. It's....a very good village. Might not beat wandering minstrel as the best $4 village, but it's close.

EDIT: upon further play....I think this is stronger than wandering minstrel. Also combos well with scholar, how fun!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 09:56:02 am by silvern »

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2018, 09:51:19 am »

Scholar / University is good.

Tozar

• Chancellor
  • Shuffle iT Username: Tozar
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2018, 10:17:57 am »

I've played two games at Dominion.Games, neither of which had new cards. Do only subscription players get them?

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2018, 10:20:44 am »

I've played two games at Dominion.Games, neither of which had new cards. Do only subscription players get them?

You have to specifically choose the Renaissance previews option.

Simon Jester

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: hockeyzemlan
  • changed life, changed everything
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2018, 10:28:41 am »

You have to specifically choose the Renaissance previews option.

For the record it is not ranked games so feel free to mess around as much as you like.
S

Redly

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Redly
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2018, 10:30:03 am »
+5

If you're aiming to play with the bot, please click the button in the bottom section that says "Preview vs Bot".
You're also able to play against another human, using that button at the top
Just checked, you should have those options even as a free account

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2018, 10:35:42 am »

Priest likes Treasure/Night trashers obviously.

What happens if you inherit Experiment?

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2018, 10:44:58 am »

Sser is really quite good. If there's a board with mediocre cantrips, a vague amount of trashing, and maybe a Silver gainer, Seer turns that into a board where you could actually see your whole deck most turns. Even with just a couple of cards in that price point, the deck inspection isn't nothing. Topdecking instead of discarding the cards is what stops it from being incredibly powerful (along with not drawing Coppers as Tristan ran into up there).

Experiment is fantastic, there's tons of times when you want it. Occasionally in the opening, often with spare buys, especially in the beginning of the endgame. The big thing is, you don't really want to save it. I mean if saving it is the right move you save it, but you also probably shouldn't have bought it if you end up saving it, you know? It's no longer a net draw benefit if you save it. I mean, sunk cost fallacy comes into play here.

Mountain Viillage will be occasionally a bummer but more often than not will save you from bad shuffles and get you precisely the card you need. Very cool.

Priest seems alright, I'm sure there's some gain and trash stack that gets crazy, but even just as like a utility trasher it's fine.

Scholar is like Professor Oak from Pokémon, which is cute.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Ingix

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ingix
  • Respect: +424
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2018, 10:46:12 am »
+3

(About inheriting Experiment)
When you play an Estate, you draw 2 cards, get +1 Action and return the Estate to the Estate pile.

If you gain an Estate (buying, Workshop,...) you also gain an Experiment, but that's the end of it.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 10:48:15 am by Ingix »

merlyn8804

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: merlyn8804
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2018, 10:48:58 am »

So what happens if you play an experiment you bought from black market?

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2018, 10:49:30 am »
+4

Priest likes Treasure/Night trashers obviously.

Good luck spending that money at night.

Ingix

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ingix
  • Respect: +424
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2018, 10:52:11 am »
+4

If you play an Experiment from the Black Market pile, it will not be able to return to its own pile when it is played. So it stays in play and gets discarded normally. This is better than what happens to a similar played Encampment, which stays set aside for the remainder of the game.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2018, 10:53:34 am »
+19

So what happens if you play an experiment you bought from black market?

Congratulations, you smuggled in a Laboratory on a Ferry.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2018, 10:57:14 am »
+8

Scholar is like Professor Oak from Pokémon, which is cute.
I had to squint a little, but I can see it now!

You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2018, 11:08:32 am »
+1

I'm interested to hear the discussion behind the wording of Experiment. It's really awkward, but I can't think of a better wording off the top of my head.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
  • Respect: +134
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2018, 11:10:29 am »

I'm interested to hear the discussion behind the wording of Experiment. It's really awkward, but I can't think of a better wording off the top of my head.

"You gain these in pairs." --> then explain this in the rulebook.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2018, 11:14:13 am »
+1

"You gain these in pairs." --> then explain this in the rulebook.

I see where you're coming from, but that's pretty clunky. And referring people to the rulebooks like that was a pretty big no-no I'm guessing. My best bet would be: "When you gain this, gain another Experiment, not following its on-gain instructions." Similar to Enchantress.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Orange
  • 2012 WBC Champion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2018, 11:25:24 am »
+1

Wow, the rest of turn part for Priest stacks. KC-Priest in at the beginning of a normal turn becomes "+$12. Trash your hand."
Priest combo decks are hilarious. My favorite so far is Priest-Mint (with +buy).

My first Priest game had Rats in it, but I'm still afraid of Rats so I didn't try it   :-\

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2018, 11:32:31 am »

I was thinking the same. This seems like a good example of simply choosing clarity over precision. Everyone will know how Experiment works by reading the words; it shouldn't lead to questions like "but what if..." However, the wording doesn't follow a technical way that we should expect rules to work. It tells us that the next one doesn't come with another... but it doesn't tell us why. We were never instructed to ignore the on-gain ability. So why don't we gain a third? Simply because we don't; we were told that we don't. And we accept it.

It could have been something clunky like "when you gain this, put another one in your discard pile". Or of course just an on-buy trigger like Port.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 11:33:35 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.