Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Renaissance Previews #1: Mountain Village, Priest, Seer, Scholar, Experiment  (Read 73302 times)

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
+74

Dominion, that's what you're trying to achieve. This time in the Renaissance!

Renaissance has four themes: Villagers, Coffers, Artifacts, Projects. And we'll be seeing them in that order over the next 4 days. But in fact half the kingdom cards in the set don't fit any of those themes. And today, here are some of those. Like last time we will have the preview cards playable at dominion.games, and to have plenty of variety there I'm previewing 5 cards today. You read them already, but this paragraph still has to pretend you haven't, so, here they are:

Mountain Village gets back a card from your discard pile instead of drawing you a card. Or draws you a card if it can't, you aren't hurt there. It does some tricks; the first one you'll see is, one Mountain Village in your hand gets back all the Mountain Villages in your discard pile.

Priest is a trasher, and rewards you for further trashing. Play Priest, get +$2, trash a Copper. Play a second Priest, get +$2, trash a Copper, get a +$2 bonus from the first Priest. Play a third Priest, get +$2, trash a Silver (you ran out of Coppers), get +$2 from the first Priest and +$2 from the second Priest. See how it goes? Try to have enough stuff to feed them.

Seer draws cards costing from $2 to $4. Those aren't your best cards but hey, you could get three of them.

Scholar makes the cards go round. It's a poster child for simplicity; this set goes the extra mile to be simpler than the previous few.

Experiment is a one-shot Lab, but you get two of them.

Again, dominion.games, you can try out the cards right now (yes unless you are reading this from the future). Click on the thing that looks like it will do that, and it will.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
+4

If we keep going at this rate, we'll see all the cards this week.

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
+1

Well we now know the action tokens are named Villagers.

Half the kingdom cards don't use those themes? Wow this expansion is definitely gonna be more simple. And they seem quite interesting!

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
+2

Hm, those Lab variants seem not too interesting to me, but, Mountain Village, Priest, Scholar are all rather exciting.

Random art complaint: It's nice that we get an equal share of female characters now, but I dislike the tendency of portaying them young and attractive. Here we have two old dudes and two younger women.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 06:10:26 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile

Priest-Throne Room-Experiment leads to some weird stuff.  You can Throne Experiments and Priests, and hopefully get $16... but then you're out of garbage cards, and you have to trash the Priests and maybe a Throne Room at the end if you really need the $2...
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
+1

Hm, that Lab variants seem not too interesting to me, but, Mountain Village, Priest, Scholar are all rather exciting.

The choice of whether to play them or save them is kind of interesting, and newer players may overlook the fact that there's even a choice to make.  Being able to line them all up with Mountain Village or even Scholar...  I think there are possibilities within this set alone, and even more so if you're just trying to set up a specific combination.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
+2

I note that Mountain Village's disjunctive instruction—do X, but if you can't, do Y—has the same effect as "put a card from it on your deck, then +1 card." I appreciate the choice to go with the easier-to-follow instruction rather than the more concise one, especially if this is supposed to be an expansion with less complexity.

(okay same effect modulo Relic or whatever)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
+3

I really like where this is going. Looks like the name "Renaissance" wasn't chosen on accident.

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile

Hm, that Lab variants seem not too interesting to me, but, Mountain Village, Priest, Scholar are all rather exciting.

The choice of whether to play them or save them is kind of interesting, and newer players may overlook the fact that there's even a choice to make.  Being able to line them all up with Mountain Village or even Scholar...  I think there are possibilities within this set alone, and even more so if you're just trying to set up a specific combination.
Experiments look like they'd contribute well to a mega-turn.

Priest would have been exactly the same without the initial +$2, but with the other instructions swapped round, right?

markus

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: markus
  • Respect: +434
    • View Profile
+7

Priest would have been exactly the same without the initial +$2, but with the other instructions swapped round, right?
Not if it's your last card in hand.

infangthief

• Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Renaissance Previews #1: Mountain Village, Priest, Seer, Scholar, Experiment
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 05:01:36 am »
+3

Hurrah for simplicity.
Hurrah for normality.

samath

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: SamE
  • Respect: +678
    • View Profile
Re: Renaissance Previews #1: Mountain Village, Priest, Seer, Scholar, Experiment
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 05:08:41 am »
+1

First impressions video is up! Featuring games with jmjjmj and markus.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 05:30:28 am »

Exciting stuff! I love that the expansion symbol is a brush, although without looking closely it kind of just looks like a line.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2018, 05:46:20 am »

Seer should be a great companion to Encampments, Hamlets, and Patricians (though the deliberate placement of a $5 card is only possible if Seer picked up not more than one Patrician).
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2018, 06:12:45 am »
+5

It's funny how Experiment is just Expedition turned into a card and they share the first 4 letters.

ossiangrr

• Swindler
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2018, 06:30:20 am »
+1

Just a simple observation: Seer could combo well with Bridge to be able to pull more-expensive cards into your hand.

infangthief

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2018, 06:42:06 am »
+6

It's funny how Experiment is just Expedition turned into a card and they share the first 4 letters.
Would an Expert have an Expectation that Experiment and Expedition are Expendable but Expedite a deck-drawing Experience?

sorawotobu

• Spy
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2018, 06:47:48 am »
+6

Just a simple observation: Seer could combo well with Bridge to be able to pull more-expensive cards into your hand.

My first game with Seer had Bridge Troll, allowing my Seers to pick up Seers.

benedettosoxfan

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: benedettosoxfan
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2018, 06:53:58 am »
+3

These cards seem really powerful at first glance. Priest and fortress is gonna get ridiculous no doubt. Could end up being a crazy payload card. I'm assuming you don't get the $2 for the card that it trashes though. That would be +$4 trash a card from your hand. Either way I'll probably be opening priest a ton. It trashes (just one card but still) and will also help you hit $5 on the first shuffle. Mountain village sounds really good, but now that I think of it the presence of cursers will make it weaker because you'll probably have to put a curse in your hand if it's all that's in your discard pile. I do love the simplicity and can't wait to play with them!

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2018, 07:30:03 am »

A guaranteed triple Lab via Seer after a 5/2 opening looks game-breaking crazy. If there is a junker at $5 you want Seer even more and if there is a trasher at $5 chances are extremly high that you can get it after the first shuffle.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 07:36:39 am by Holunder9 »

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2018, 07:35:04 am »
+2

Wow, the rest of turn part for Priest stacks. KC-Priest in at the beginning of a normal turn becomes "+$12. Trash your hand."

theorel

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: theorel
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2018, 07:52:06 am »
+1

A guaranteed triple Lab via Seer after a 5/2 opening looks game-breaking crazy. If there is a junker at $5 you want Seer even more and if there is a trasher at $5 chances are extremly high that you can get it after the first shuffle.
I'm really confused by your comment...Seer only gets cards costing from 2-4.  How is it a guaranteed triple-lab, since it can only draw your opening buy and estates?  How does it help you hit 5?

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2018, 07:52:35 am »

Seer can't draw Coppers...

EDIT: Ninja'd

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2018, 07:54:16 am »
+2

Wow, the rest of turn part for Priest stacks. KC-Priest in at the beginning of a normal turn becomes "+$12. Trash your hand."
Priest combo decks are hilarious. My favorite so far is Priest-Mint (with +buy).

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2018, 08:03:35 am »

I don't care much for the hyper-simplicity but Mountain Village seems the most interesting so far. Definitely behaves uniquely, Can be totally crazy, can just draw junk from the discard so anti-synergies with junking and sifting.
Still not particularly skill-dependent unless it competes with other splitters in the Kingdom.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.