Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Teaser  (Read 37268 times)

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +323
    • View Profile
Re: Teaser
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2018, 05:11:39 pm »
+2

Some bonus info we can extrapolate:
Of the 16 unseen card-shaped-things, only 2 are artifacts, the other 14 are projects.

I'm being pedantic, but you don't really need to "extrapolate" that. It's stated right in the Day 4 and Day 5 previews.

Also as long as we're being pedantic, Kingdom cards are card-shaped things too. ;)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 05:22:48 pm by crlundy »

ObtusePunubiris

• Bishop
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2018, 06:02:05 pm »

Of the 16 unseen card-shaped-things, only 2 are artifacts, the other 14 are projects.

I'm being pedantic, but you don't really need to "extrapolate" that. It's stated right in the Day 4 and Day 5 previews.

Also as long as we're being pedantic, Kingdom cards are card-shaped things too. ;)

Well, if we're going down the pedantic rabbit hole...  You're technically correct, but since "card-shaped-things" is Dominion lingo and has a specific, known meaning, I think my pedantic out-pedantics your pedantic.  Also, pedantic no longer has any meaning to me.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2018, 06:18:11 pm »
+2

Well, if we're going down the pedantic rabbit hole...  You're technically correct, but since "card-shaped-things" is Dominion lingo and has a specific, known meaning, I think my pedantic out-pedantics your pedantic.  Also, pedantic no longer has any meaning to me.

..."Card-shaped things" is Dominion lingo for the category that includes both cards and Events, Boons, Projects, etc., though. Isn't it?

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2018, 06:23:52 pm »
+5

What I'd really like is a term encompassing Events, Landmarks, and Projects, since they share a selection process.

ObtusePunubiris

• Bishop
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2018, 06:32:54 pm »

..."Card-shaped things" is Dominion lingo for the category that includes both cards and Events, Boons, Projects, etc., though. Isn't it?
I've always understood "card-shaped-things" to mean all the card shaped things that don't go in your deck, as opposed to "cards", which are the card shaped things that do go in your deck.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2018, 07:21:31 pm »

Losing Coffers/Villagers seems unlikely to me; I feel like it'd be too easy to avoid Coffers/Villagers altogether, and never feel the attack.
There could be some kind of "Each other player discards a Villager. If they don't, ..." alternative bad stuff. If the alternative was worse, it would create a dynamic where you actively wanted to accumulate Villagers as protection.

South Park - Operation Human Shield

This is already what Beggar is.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 07:22:33 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +323
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2018, 07:57:58 pm »
+1

I've always understood "card-shaped-things" to mean all the card shaped things that don't go in your deck, as opposed to "cards", which are the card shaped things that do go in your deck.

I think by definition card-shaped things include Kingdom cards, since they're card-shaped. But we all understand each other in context, and that's what counts.

What I'd really like is a term encompassing Events, Landmarks, and Projects, since they share a selection process.

In the previews, Donald X distinguished between the "Randomizer deck" and the "sideways deck", if that helps.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2018, 12:07:18 am »
+1

I call them “Add-Ons”.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2018, 02:35:48 pm »

I've made the case before that the whole "card-shaped thing/object" is completely pointless. Call them cards; that's what they are.

This is all that matters:
(1) Buying an Event is not buying a card. (You don't buy the Event card, you buy the effect - or Event.)

All the following is a result of (1):

(2) The price on the Event card is not for buying the card.

(3) "When you buy a card" can't refer to Events.

(4) Cost-reducers can't reduce the cost of Events.

It's still not wrong to talk about Event cards as "Events", just like we talk about Action cards as "Actions".

Event cards are called Event cards in the rulebook. "Event cards" are also part of the setup rules.

When we talk about Kingdom cards, Events, Landmarks and other cards that are included in the game, we are talking about them as cards. So we mean Event cards (and Landmark cards etc). These cards can be shuffled and can be included in the game. Save is an Event card that can be included in a game, for instance if we draw that card from the shuffled pile of cards during setup. But when you buy Save, you buy the Event, not the Event card. When we talk about what's included in an expansion, it's pointless to talk about actual cards as "card-shaped objects".

« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 02:38:58 pm by Jeebus »

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2018, 02:38:12 pm »

Donald has used "sideways cards" and "landscape-style cards".

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2018, 02:39:12 pm »

To be technical; Sewers is a trasher than you can’t turn off. But because it’s an optional trasher; it’s probabyl not the thing he meant.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2018, 03:43:36 pm »

Donald has used "sideways cards" and "landscape-style cards".

But that includes Boons, Hexes, States, and Artifacts, which is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the sideways cards that are selected as part of the kingdom selection process and it's recommended not to have more than two of them. I like Add-ons, I think I'll start using that.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2018, 06:02:15 pm »

Something I've been thinking about: This set will have alt-VP right? Alt-VP has been in every set besides Guilds, I think. So I'm wondering what the new Victory card will be. I imagine it will likely have on-gain coffers, villagers, or an artifact. Or maybe we'll finally get a Victory-Attack?? ...Probably not, since the teaser would have mentioned something that exotic.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2018, 06:16:09 pm »
+1

The problem is, there isn't enough room for a victory pile. Perhaps an artifact has vp attached to it, like a positive version of Miserable.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2018, 06:37:23 pm »

The problem is, there isn't enough room for a victory pile.
As I noted elsewhere, it is possible that there would be a pile which contained a variety of cards, some of which were Victory cards, like Dame Josephine in Dark Ages.

However, I said that before the previews. If there was going to be a fancy pile like that, I suspect it would have been previewed. Plus, it would probably be at odds with the simplicity drive which we now know characterises Renaissance.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2018, 06:46:28 pm »
+1

I think a VP artifact and/or project would make sense.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2018, 07:04:39 pm »

I think a VP artifact and/or project would make sense.
Agreed. It's easy to see how either could work, even without VP tokens.

herw

• Golem
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2018, 06:38:02 am »

Scholar is the card with 4 words.

Hmm, disappointed that "+7" doesn't count as either 1 or 2 words. It means that we've had several cards with only 1-3 words on them before, which makes the whole prospect of having a card with only 3 words less exciting.
so abandoned mine is a card with 0 words ;) ? great development

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2018, 10:14:52 am »

Scholar is the card with 4 words.

Hmm, disappointed that "+7" doesn't count as either 1 or 2 words. It means that we've had several cards with only 1-3 words on them before, which makes the whole prospect of having a card with only 3 words less exciting.
so abandoned mine is a card with 0 words ;) ? great development

It also means that ruins (excluding abandoned mine) are the only base cards with words on them
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.