Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: High Score  (Read 6582 times)

Scott Pilgrim

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
High Score
« on: June 13, 2011, 07:22:42 pm »

Pretty sure I will never, ever top this.

The game is over! (Curses, Goons, and Coppers are all gone.)
Scott Pilgrim has 400 points (340 ▼, 4 Colonies, 3 Provinces, and 2 Estates) and took 21 turns.
roman has 21 points (16 ▼, a Duchy, and 2 Estates) and took 21 turns.

Game Log
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201103/12/game-20110312-214823-bbf19a1e.html.gz

TL;DR version of Game Log: Worker's Village + King's Court + Wharf + Goons + Goons + Goons + Goons... buy lots of copper, reveal watchtower, trash it all.. get 4-5 vp for every buy every turn. 18-20 buys a turn. Absolute insanity.

Dominion Game #2037

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Re: High Score
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 08:55:21 pm »
+1

I wonder what's the highest VP/turn ratio anyone has pulled off, in a non-show-off-set-up game.  20VP/turn seems pretty nice.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 09:05:06 pm »

I'm pretty sure someone somewhere posted a 1000-ish point total score.  I might be a bit off though.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

adf

• Steward
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 10:55:43 pm »

That would make for an interesting puzzle for the site: what's the single highest point turn? Deck can be made up of anything as long as it's legal (< 3 piles gone).

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 11:23:50 pm »

That would make for an interesting puzzle for the site: what's the single highest point turn? Deck can be made up of anything as long as it's legal (< 3 piles gone).

Anything as long as it's legal?  Let's see...

10 Goons
10 GMs
9 Worker's Village
9 Cities
9 Wharves
9 King's Courts
9 Throne Rooms
9 Bridges
9 Festivals
9 Trade Routes

The last is for trashing during the game and probably won't be able to be used for more than a couple +Buys at the end, so we'll ignore the +Buys from TR.  I won't do the calculations here but you'll have well over 100 Buys, 10 Goons cards out, and everything will cost $0.  So: 8*(10+6+3+1)+1000 = 1160, and almost certainly more; not sure how many buys we can actually squeeze out of there. 
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 11:32:08 pm »

You actually need a very full black market so that you don't run out of stuff to buy. With as many buys as you're talking about, you will be able to run the money piles out. You can also use stuff in there to keep you going. And you should have gardens and vineyards and fairgrounds as piles, as they're going to be worth ridiculously high amounts of points once you buy all that stuff.

papaHav

• Navigator
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 12:10:22 am »

If you have all that in your deck theres nothing to buy =]

drg

• Spy
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 12:31:07 am »

Goons does some sick things.  My high score was 450, ~400 of it coming on the last turn:
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110106-004348-7e127486.html
I only had 7 goons, and there were still a bunch of coppers left, and the curses were given out, not bought, so I'm sure the absolute max could go well over 1000.  Having gardens and vineyard stacks to also buy out in the end would probably increase the total a lot too.

This one doesn't compare max score wise because we ran out of junk, but thought it was interesting, as it was competitive, where the game ended because there weren't any 0 cost things for us to buy anymore, coppers going before the curses, this just showing there really is a limit to the eternal goons/watchtower deck - you will run out of stuff to buy eventually:
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110303-191442-1d42f407.html
If there were infinite coppers, the game may have gone on for a while with truly ridiculous scores.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 02:53:32 am »

You actually need a very full black market so that you don't run out of stuff to buy. With as many buys as you're talking about, you will be able to run the money piles out.

Nah.  In a Colony game you have 32 VP cards and 136 Treasure cards.  You'll have over 100 buys, but not that many over 100.

And you should have gardens and vineyards and fairgrounds as piles, as they're going to be worth ridiculously high amounts of points once you buy all that stuff.

With about 200 cards in the final deck, each Garden is worth 20 points--160 total.  Meanwhile 9 extra buys is worth 90 points total... so yes, you're probably right, there.  Fairgrounds is tougher, you'd need not just Black Market (which doesn't give extra buys at the end) but you'd need 60 unique cards to get above the 90 total points from the extra buys.  Probably not worth it.

On the other hand, Vineyards would be 30 points each, so definitely worth having in there.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 02:57:32 am »

Hey, because, what the hell:

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201106/13/game-20110613-235200-a00fe105.html

1200 points in the final round.  Forgot to buy potions in the previous rounds, though, so I could have had another 130 or so (extra green cards = fewer points for Vineyards).

Because every card other than KC and TR had buys available, I don't think there was any way not to have the maximum number of buys with these cards (92).  Someone else can probably prove me wrong.  Anyway, 1200 is the number to beat (with, of course, ridiculous amounts of setup and no competition).  Have fun!

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 04:49:36 am »
+3

The title of this thread clearly should have been Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 07:31:50 am »

But actually Black Market DOES effectively give you extra buys. I'm not sure that people get this. When you buy a card from the BM deck, you've bought a card without using a buy - effectively a limited extra buy, but here, so long as you've played your goons first, it's as good. And with 100s of cards in BM, Fairgrounds can get pretty ridiculous actually methinks.
You won't be able to do that on isotropic though.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 09:04:03 am »
+1

The title of this thread clearly should have been Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour.
I am tempted to install a thumbs-up-thumbs-down mod for this forum just to thumb this post.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 21 queries.