Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dutch Nocturne is 'expected'...  (Read 1822 times)

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +192
    • View Profile
Dutch Nocturne is 'expected'...
« on: September 20, 2018, 07:19:29 am »

...but not in stores or orderable online yet. (is 'orderable' even a word?)

See https://www.999games.nl/dominion-nocturne-kaartspel.html

Place your bets on how many translation errors there will be, and which cards will have them.

I already got mine (in English) while I was visiting a conference in America. I'm not sure if I will buy it but someone has to check it for errors and update the wiki accordingly so if anyone is planning to get it please let me know.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 07:31:58 am by greybirdofprey »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Re: Dutch Nocturne is 'expected'...
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 07:25:48 am »
+1

(is 'orderable' even a word?)

In English, anything can be a word
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +410
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 10:06:10 am »

Am American, can confirm
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

boris

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 02:30:34 pm »

Am American, can confirm

Challenge: translate German compound nouns. In German, anything can be a word. An elegant example would be "Hauptbahnhof" for "main railway station".

Sorry about continuing the OT.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +410
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 06:18:51 pm »

Am American, can confirm

Challenge: translate German compound nouns. In German, anything can be a word. An elegant example would be "Hauptbahnhof" for "main railway station".

Rhubarbabarbarabarbierbarbarianbierdbarbierbierbarbaerbel

I think I spelled that right
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 06:45:19 pm »
+3

Am American, can confirm

I think most linguists say that English and German are doing the exact same thing, with the spaces only being an orthographic convention. We'd write it "mainrailwaystation" if we hadn't adopted the spaces (likely from French.) Every other Germanic language (Dutch, Swedish, etc.) forms compound nouns this way. I guess it depends on what your definition of a word is.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 03:25:34 am »

That's interesting and it sounds like a solid proposition, yet I'd like to challenge:

Every other Germanic language (Dutch, Swedish, etc.) forms compound nouns this way.

I tried to check this with a rather recent word used a lot around here, namely Datenschutz-Grundverordnung (2 - 3 - 1 - 4), in English General Data Protection Regulation (1 - 2 - 3 - 4), in Swedish allmän dataskyddsförordning (1 - 2 - 3 - 4), in Netherlands algemene verordening gegevensbescherming (1 - 4 - 2 - 3) seems to compound the words in a different way. The German translation could have been done as to follow 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 ("Allgemeine Datenschutzverordnung"), but at the price of breaking up "Grund" and "Verordnung" and introducing an adjective to maintain the link over the whole construction. I would tend to think that general/algemene/allmän is an adjective and not a noun in all three other languages, thus the first space is a bit more than an orthographic convention.

Interestingly, there doesn't seem to be any other EU regulation that has been named "Grundverordnung" in the German version so far.

Romanic languages tend to swap 2 and 3 (Romanian: Regulamentul general privind protecția datelor (4 - 1 - preposition - 3 - 2)) and use prepositions more often.

On a tangent: How do you use "every other" in English so that it doesn't take the meaning of "Every other Wednesday I do sports"?
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5159
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 03:38:45 am »

On a tangent: How do you use "every other" in English so that it doesn't take the meaning of "Every other Wednesday I do sports"?
You could always say "all other things" rather than "every other thing".
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 08:36:44 am »

You can say "all other".
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.