Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Anything needed for Empires?  (Read 2697 times)

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
Anything needed for Empires?
« on: September 19, 2018, 06:59:41 pm »
+1

There's another printing of Empires coming up, so it's my chance to squeeze in some rulebook fix I've forgotten about.

So, is there anything?

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
Re: Anything needed for Empires?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 07:37:05 pm »
+3

So is it like 2E Empires, or is it just a rule book fix? If it's just rulebook, then the only thing I can think of is the Possession errata getting errata.

If it's full on 2E, then is it possible to change:
-Opulent Castle: you have to reveal the Victory cards you discard
-Baths: check during the start of clean-up instead of the "end of turn" confusion
-Ritual: check trashed card cost after trashing ("cost" -> "costs")
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 07:39:04 pm by dz »

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 08:51:09 pm »
+1

So is it like 2E Empires, or is it just a rule book fix? If it's just rulebook, then the only thing I can think of is the Possession errata getting errata.

If it's full on 2E, then is it possible to change:
-Opulent Castle: you have to reveal the Victory cards you discard
-Baths: check during the start of clean-up instead of the "end of turn" confusion
-Ritual: check trashed card cost after trashing ("cost" -> "costs")
It's not "full on 2E" - Empires is already 2E, is the idea. I am looking for rulebook fixes but a card fix is conceivably possible. It would depend on what we were getting out of it. The rulebook is just way easier to change - I say "here's the text," Jay changes it, I proofread it, done. Card changes go through more steps and more people.

I am avoiding functional changes. Being able to improve Baths or Ritual isn't enough; they work as-is. Opulent Castle, that's a reasonable change, since it's just keeping you honest. However it would be much easier to just have the rulebook say that you have to reveal them, even though the card doesn't say it. So that's more likely. But I will keep it in mind for if another card really wants to be changed.

Thanks!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 11:14:09 pm »
+9

As printed, Overlord comes after Royal Blacksmith in the rules (presumably because RB was supposed to be called Old Blacksmith until Alayna Lemmer happened).  It should probably come before, going alphabetically.  Same for the box insert.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 12:05:58 am »
+4

Errata: This game is perfect
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 01:55:48 am »
+1

As printed, Overlord comes after Royal Blacksmith in the rules (presumably because RB was supposed to be called Old Blacksmith until Alayna Lemmer happened).  It should probably come before, going alphabetically.  Same for the box insert.
Yes, excellent.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 11:50:00 am »
+2

Some clarifications that may or may not be too obscure to include in the rules:

If you use Prince or Ghost to play Crown at the start of your turn, you’re in your Action phase at that point.

Any extra turns are resolved after Donate/Mountain Pass.

Enchantress 1: The play ability is not actually changed on the Action card; rather the player gets +1 Card and +1 Action instead of resolving it. So they can call Royal Carriage to replay the Action and this time resolve its play ability. Similarly, Ghost will resolve the card’s play ability the second time it plays it. If the played card is a Duration, Ghost/Royal Carriage stays in play.

Enchantress 2: If you play Enchantress several times, the other players still only get +1 Card and +1 Action: Only the first Enchantress replaces what the players do; Enchantresses after that make no difference.

Enchantress 3: If one of your opponents gets an extra turn, the first Action played on that turn will also be Enchanted. (The rulebook says "just on their next turn", which is normally true, but not in this case.)

Enchantress 4: Timing - If a player plays an Enchanted Attack card, Reactions and Urchin will trigger first, as normal.

vishwathg

• Navigator
  • Respect: +92
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 05:30:56 pm »
+1

A bit off topic, but something to keep in mind if there's a Guilds & Cornucopia reprint a few years down the road:

The panel which has the images of the cards under the Prize Notes has an image of Followers next to Trusty Steed.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 04:15:26 am »

Thanks guys. In the end like 4 things in the rulebook were fixed. I didn't change Opulent Castle in the rulebook because 1) the card should function like it says, and 2) adding any text there would have bumped us up 4 pages. It would have needed an equal-length thing I could cut on the page. I could fit an Enchantress thing and picked #2, that's a nice one. Edit: I snuck in changing the Enchantress FAQ language to be less wrong for extra turns.

I will try to remember that fix for the next printing of Guilds/Cornucopia.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 04:22:59 am by Donald X. »

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 04:34:32 am »
+1

Enchantress 4: Timing - If a player plays an Enchanted Attack card, Reactions and Urchin will trigger first, as normal.
Now how do you get to play an Enchanted Attack card while having Urchin in play? (There may totally be a solution for that puzzle.)
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 06:11:03 am »
+2

The panel which has the images of the cards under the Prize Notes has an image of Followers next to Trusty Steed.

To add onto this, I found these 2 errors in the Adventures rulebook:

-The picture next to Treasure Trove's FAQ is Royal Carriage.
-Teacher's FAQ starts by saying "When you play this, you get +1 Card and +1 Action, and put it on your Tavern mat;" Guide has this, but Teacher isn't a cantrip.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 21 queries.