Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Chariot Race  (Read 9188 times)

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
Re: Chariot Race
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2018, 04:25:55 am »

then you've spent $7 and two buys for what is essentially a Peddler with +1VP, which is not that impressive
I guess that's why you falsely think that Chariot Race is weak. A Peddler with +1VP, what Chariot Race does when it triggers, is incredibly good, so good that it could not exist as a card at any price.

I guess a potential comparison is Village+Smithy netting 2 cards vs. Chariot Race and Secret Passage netting a Coin and a VP. While draw is simply always good and situationally often better than the Coin and the VP (so overall it is simply hard to compare) the potential to gain VP tokens without any risk and without clogging your deck (like with Groundskeeper so a Groundskeeper engine arguably needs draw support so you basically add draw power to your engine in order to be able to gain VP tokens so we I could argue slightly polemically that drawing is here subservient to the VP token gaining and make the case for Secret Passge plus Chariot Race over Village plus Smithy) is certainly not weak in any way.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2018, 01:11:28 am »

then you've spent $7 and two buys for what is essentially a Peddler with +1VP, which is not that impressive
I guess that's why you falsely think that Chariot Race is weak. A Peddler with +1VP, what Chariot Race does when it triggers, is incredibly good, so good that it could not exist as a card at any price.
I think you misunderstand something here. Yes, it could not exist as a card. But the reason is not that it's so good, it's that when it is good, it doesn't end the game.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Holunder9

• Jester
  • Respect: +380
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2018, 03:16:01 am »

I think you misunderstand something here. Yes, it could not exist as a card. But the reason is not that it's so good, it's that when it is good, it doesn't end the game.
I don't follow you here. The issue is that being able to consistently trigger Chariot Races via the Secret Passage combo is extremly good.
How that fits into the larger picture is a different question and of course you cannot win via the VPs of Chariot Race alone. You actually want to green in order to increase the average cost of cards in your deck and even if you can pull off the combo the non Chariot Race player could be ahead and win.

samath

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: SamE
  • Respect: +678
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2018, 10:58:28 am »
+1

Well, Secret Passage shuts down Chariot Race arguably as much as it enables it. Just put that Province back in the 6th position at end of turn...

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2018, 04:08:45 pm »

Putting a Province there feels like it might be hurting you almost as much as it's hurting them. A Gold, maybe...

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2018, 09:08:11 am »

The Province stacked by Secret Passage is the booger that sticks on your finger and cannot be sifted anyway. Might as well use it to thwart all those hapless Ben Hurs your opponent is going to send into the race.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.