Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1548197 times)

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #8025 on: December 31, 2020, 11:02:53 am »
+7

Contest #100: Fun with Non-Supply Cards

Create a card-shaped thing that interacts with an existing (i.e., official) non-Supply card. It can be any type of card-shaped thing and can interact in any way whatsoever, big or small, with any existing non-Supply card (or more than one). Please name or show the existing non-Supply card and describe the interaction. Feel free to wander – please do not focus too much on the contest criteria.

As long as there is any interaction whatsoever, very little attention will be paid in the judging to the quality or degree of the of interaction – I prefer flexible creativity to adherence to restrictions. While I believe that personal preference is always a substantial factor in judging these contests, I will try to focus on balance, playability and, most of all, fun. Also, just a hint, but certainly not necessary to win, I tend to enjoy cards that honor an overall theme or story.

Good luck to everyone!  Have a happy and safe 2021!

(I almost went with a 2020-themed contest, but didn’t really want to look at 100 cards featuring Ruins, Rats and Curses.)

« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 11:32:14 am by spheremonk »

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #8026 on: December 31, 2020, 11:37:59 am »
+2

Neat theme!

heres the wiki for non supply cards in dominion for anyone that wants to look at it

http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Category:Non-Supply_cards
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #8027 on: December 31, 2020, 11:52:21 am »
+1

Not an actual submission, as my memory of the card was incorrect. I will submit a new one in the future

Asylum
Reaction
When one of your cards would be trashed, you may discard this to exile it instead.
-----
In games using this, when you end your turn without buying a card, you may trash an action card you have in play to gain a Asylum

Interacts with Madman, as you can save it in exile for when you gain another. Maybe it should be just reveal and not discard, as it could be pretty weak otherwise
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 03:25:28 pm by LittleFish »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #8028 on: December 31, 2020, 11:58:03 am »

Asylum
Reaction
When one of your cards would be trashed, you may discard this to exile it instead.
-----
In games using this, when you end your turn without buying a card, you may trash an action card you have in play to gain a Asylum

Interacts with Madman, as you can save it in exile for when you gain another. Maybe it should be just reveal and not discard, as it could be pretty weak otherwise

This doesn't interact with Madman the way you want it to. Madman is returned to its pile, not trashed.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 12:00:16 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #8029 on: December 31, 2020, 12:13:06 pm »

Asylum
Reaction
-----

This doesn't interact with Madman the way you want it to. Madman is returned to its pile, not trashed.
I must have mixed up the wording on Hermit and Madman. Haven't played a game with Hermit in some time

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #8030 on: December 31, 2020, 12:18:01 pm »

Create a card-shaped thing that interacts with an existing (i.e., official) non-Supply card. It can be any type of card-shaped thing and can interact in any way whatsoever, big or small, with any existing non-Supply card (or more than one). Please name or show the existing non-Supply card and describe the interaction. Feel free to wander – please do not focus too much on the contest criteria.

As long as there is any interaction whatsoever, very little attention will be paid in the judging to the quality or degree of the of interaction – I prefer flexible creativity to adherence to restrictions. While I believe that personal preference is always a substantial factor in judging these contests, I will try to focus on balance, playability and, most of all, fun. Also, just a hint, but certainly not necessary to win, I tend to enjoy cards that honor an overall theme or story.

(I almost went with a 2020-themed contest, but didn’t really want to look at 100 cards featuring Ruins, Rats and Curses.)

Stupid question, but when you say non supple card, are you specificly talking about card that you can play with "(this is not in the supply)"?
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

spheremonk

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8031 on: December 31, 2020, 12:40:32 pm »
+1

Stupid question, but when you say non supple card, are you specificly talking about card that you can play with "(this is not in the supply)"?

It doesn't have to have those words on it. Everything on the list of non-Supply cards you sent around is in-bounds. Also, it doesn't have to use the non-Supply card(s) the way they are used in the official sets. For example, you could have a card that junked by giving out Shelters (or one particular Shelter), if you thought that was interesting. Or it can be as simple as a card that gains Prizes or Ghosts or Wishes. Anything at all involving ANY non-Supply card. Just have fun.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #8032 on: December 31, 2020, 12:46:12 pm »
+2

Medium • $4 • Action
+1 Buy
Play the Spirit with your Ouija token, leaving it there.
-
On your turn, when one or more Mediums leave play, choose one: Move your Ouija token to a different Spirit, whose cost is up to $2 more that its current Spirit; or place your Ouija token on Will-O'-Wisp.

what if spirits were travellers?
The first play is a dud, intentionally. Then you can go Will-O'-Wisp -> Imp -> Ghost, or swap to a lower cost spirit, or whatever. You can even advance it more than one step by Bonfiring a Medium with more than one in play.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 12:56:41 pm by spineflu »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8033 on: December 31, 2020, 03:12:01 pm »

Just to clarify, does our card have to interact with a non-Supply card directly (such as gaining Spoils or Horses, etc. or Commanding them a-la spineflu's entry) or can our card just combo with some non-Supply card in some way without necessarily guaranteeing that it's in use (like LittleFish's entry does)?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 03:13:05 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

LittleFish

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #8034 on: December 31, 2020, 03:23:55 pm »

Just to clarify, does our card have to interact with a non-Supply card directly (such as gaining Spoils or Horses, etc. or Commanding them a-la spineflu's entry) or can our card just combo with some non-Supply card in some way without necessarily guaranteeing that it's in use (like LittleFish's entry does)?
(Like my entry would do if I remembered correctly)

spheremonk

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8035 on: December 31, 2020, 03:32:42 pm »
+2

I definitely meant the first thing – some more direct interaction, no matter how small – especially since almost any card in Dominion interacts in some way with any other card. That said, I’m really trying not to be restrictive, so as long as the explanation of the interaction seems reasonable, I would rather not disqualify cards.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8036 on: December 31, 2020, 04:30:02 pm »
+4

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #8037 on: December 31, 2020, 05:07:43 pm »
+5

Corral
Types: Action
Cost: $2
+2 Actions. You may discard a card. If you do, gain a Horse. You may discard 2 cards or a Horse. If you do, gain a Horse.
Echoes of Hamlet.  Non-terminal Horsers apparently made the game too slow, so this one has a limited scaling discard at the benefit of being a splitter.
You can put a Horse into your Corral (as in discard it) to keep it and get another Horse.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #8038 on: December 31, 2020, 05:15:58 pm »

Fae Queen - $6
Action - Doom
+3 Cards
You may trash this or a Treasure from your hand, for +2 Actions. If you don't or you trash a Copper, receive a Hex.
----
Instead of paying this card's cost, you may trash a Lucky Coin from your hand.

Lab variant. Most comparable to Stables. It has some bells and whistles added for flavor and to meet the contest criteria. Not sure if completely balanced or appealing, but I am not a huge fan of Fool and wanted to try my hand at coming up with an alternate companion to Lucky Coin. Feedback is appreciated.

Edit: Thanks to Gubump for feedback. Adjusted wording to better conform to the Death Cart and Stables wording while keeping the spirit of the original version. I still think $6 is the correct price point on this, but open to changes.

Edit: Changed to reward +2 Actions if you trash something. Hopefully a more appealing card at a price point of $6.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 12:16:26 am by Xen3k »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8039 on: December 31, 2020, 05:19:42 pm »
+1

Fae Queen - $6
Action - Doom
+3 Cards
+1 Action
Trash this or a Treasure from your hand. If you trash a Copper, receive a Hex.
----

Lab variant. Most comparable to Stables. It has some bells and whistles added for flavor and to meet the contest criteria. Not sure if completely balanced or appealing, but I am not a huge fan of Fool and wanted to try my hand at coming up with an alternate companion to Lucky Coin. Feedback is appreciated.

You should probably word this like Death Cart: "You may trash this or a Treasure from your hand, for +3 Cards and +1 Action. If you trashed a Copper, receive a Hex."

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #8040 on: December 31, 2020, 05:23:38 pm »

Fae Queen - $6
Action - Doom
+3 Cards
+1 Action
----

You should probably word this like Death Cart: "You may trash this or a Treasure from your hand, for +3 Cards and +1 Action. If you trashed a Copper, receive a Hex."

I was hoping to have the trash trigger after the draw. Gives it more oomph and makes it more appealing at $6 compared to Stables.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8041 on: December 31, 2020, 05:37:25 pm »
+1

Fae Queen - $6
Action - Doom
+3 Cards
+1 Action
----

I was hoping to have the trash trigger after the draw. Gives it more oomph and makes it more appealing at $6 compared to Stables.

Ah, right. Since you Hex yourself if you trash a Copper, it would actually be pretty sorry compared to Stables if you had to trash before drawing.

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #8042 on: December 31, 2020, 05:46:06 pm »
+1

Fae Queen - $6
Action - Doom
+3 Cards
+1 Action
----

Ah, right. Since you Hex yourself if you trash a Copper, it would actually be pretty sorry compared to Stables if you had to trash before drawing.

Right, if the concern is regarding its interaction with emulators, which I think is why Death Cart has that wording, I can always change it to a Command card. I guess the potential issue is when you cannot trash the Fae Queen (Necromancer) and have no treasures in hand to trash (or claim to have none).
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 05:47:08 pm by Xen3k »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8043 on: December 31, 2020, 05:56:17 pm »
+2

Fae Queen - $6
Action - Doom
+3 Cards
+1 Action
----

Right, if the concern is regarding its interaction with emulators, which I think is why Death Cart has that wording, I can always change it to a Command card. I guess the potential issue is when you cannot trash the Fae Queen (Necromancer) and have no treasures in hand to trash (or claim to have none).

You could make the non-terminality conditional on being able to trash itself or a Treasure.

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #8044 on: December 31, 2020, 07:07:10 pm »
+5

Conscript
Action - Looter
Draw until you have 7 cards in your hand, then discard 2 cards.
---
When you discard this from play, you may discard a Treasure costing more than $0.  If you do, exchange this for a Mercenary.  Otherwise, exchange this for a Madman and gain a Ruins.

Interacts with: Madman (gains Madman), Mercenary (gains Mercenary).

Also interacts with Ruins, but they're not non-Supply.

The conscript will help undo the effects of attacks for a single turn (or just get you a slightly better hand in general), but then you need to decide whether you want to actually pay him.  If you do, he continues working for you as a mercenary.  If not, he goes on a rampage and winds up mad.

Note that these effects interact with each other to some degree: Mercenary can trash the Ruins you get with your Madman (and getting those Ruins will keep Mercenary fueled), Conscript can draw you back up after you've trashed to Mercenary, and Madman can ensure you have actions (although normal Villages are probably easier for this).  The Ruins keep you from massing Madmen too easily, and Mercenary makes Madman harder to kick off (although Conscript can counteract this somewhat), so I don't think a mass Madman strategy is dominant with this even if theoretically you could get more Madmen with this than with Hermit.  On a lighter note, Conscript makes Ruined Village less terrible compared to the other Ruins (since you can play it for "free" before playing a Conscript).

This started off as the idea, "What if there was another way to gain the two Dark Ages pseudo-travelers?" which led to the idea of a peasant who was conscripted into the military and how well you treat him determines his fate.  I then tried to balance it without making the on-play ability too long.  My original idea was a Moat variant (since a conscript might be recruited to defend against invaders), but I didn't want two dividing lines and a Reaction-only Moat doesn't work if there's no Attacks, so I eventually settled on draw-to-X-and-discard as a way of countering the effects of most Attacks (directly countering handsize attacks and also providing sifting to counter junkers and deck-order attacks).
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

MochaMoko

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: MochaMoko
  • Respect: +123
    • View Profile
« Reply #8045 on: January 01, 2021, 07:38:54 am »
+5

And then there's Page (Pig) and Peasant (Monkey) as well, as you all know.
This Way gives huge power to cards with high cost (a Disciple for ⑥, that's really freaking good). Without Hero/Disciple as options, though, the Way feels a little bit underwhelming. We've got Pig or Monkey, but only for cards costing ③ or more (even more with enough cost reduction in place), Sheep+ and Mule+ for cards costing ④ or more, which is hey, not bad, considering you also have the option of Pig or Monkey. And ⑤-cost cards now can choose from four on-play options! You know what, it might be okay even without Hero and Disciple. The Way just is quite underwhelming for cheaper cards, and absolutely useless for low-cost cards. Though, this is not the only Way that behaves this way.

BTW, if you're playing with Travellers on the same board as a Way of the Hermit Crab, the Crab can pull cards from the Supply and non-Supply piles, potentially making the Page pile start with 9 cards or the Fugitive pile start with only 4.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 07:42:06 am by MochaMoko »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #8046 on: January 01, 2021, 10:47:49 am »
+3

Pirate
$3 - Action
+1 Card for each 2 Treasures on your Pirate Ship mat (rounded up). If you have at least 3 Treasures on your Pirate Ship mat, gain a Spoils. Otherwise, +$1 and gain a Silver.
At the start of your clean-up phase, you may put a Silver or Gold you have in play onto your Pirate Ship mat.
(EDIT: ditched the horizontal line.)

A miser for +Cards, Pirate uses Spoils of course.

First time you play it: +$1 and gain a Silver. Then put a Silver from play onto the mat.
Second and third times you play it: +1 Card, +$1, and gain a Silver. Put a Silver from play onto the mat.
Fourth and fifth times you play it: +2 Cards, gain a Spoils.
OTOH, if you don't bury a Silver on the mat all of your first few plays, you can gain more Silvers to use to upgrade the effect later.

Can potentially get very strong, but only if you sacrifice a lot of Treasure to it.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 08:26:38 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8047 on: January 01, 2021, 12:56:49 pm »

Pirate
$3 - Action
+1 Card for each 2 Treasures on your Pirate Ship mat (rounded up). If you have at least 3 Treasures on your Pirate Ship mat, gain a Spoils. Otherwise, +$1 and gain a Silver.
-
At the start of your clean-up phase, you may put a Silver or Gold you have in play onto your Pirate Ship mat.

Depending on whether you intend for placing Silvers and Golds onto the Pirate Ship mat to require playing a Pirate Ship, you should either ditch the horizontal line (if playing a Pirate Ship is required) or say "In games using this, at the start of your Clean-up phase..."

notevenodd

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8048 on: January 01, 2021, 02:11:28 pm »
+1

Hi, I'm new here. Happy New Year to all  :)
This is my first submission in this contest, I though an emulator specifically so we got more chance to play the cool cards that are Prizes could actually be interesting (feedback welcome):

« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 02:30:50 pm by notevenodd »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3191
    • View Profile
« Reply #8049 on: January 01, 2021, 03:44:36 pm »
+2

I don't think Prizes are a pile? But I'm not sure.

Otherwise, it's not a bad idea, but it'll probably mostly become a rush to get many of those to play Follows/Trusty Steed.

Also worth noting that Princess becomes a Ruined Market because the under-the-horizontal-line-effect won't trigger.
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.