Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547410 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #8000 on: December 30, 2020, 09:32:40 am »
+3

Let's make one more contest i this thread so that we have the full 100 and then switch?

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #8001 on: December 30, 2020, 10:41:23 am »
+3

Thank you, Aquila! It means a lot. I really appreciate all the love people gave the card. I agree with Aquila that segura’s Aristocrat is elegant and interesting and would’ve been a great winner as well.

We should all thank and congratulate Doom_Shark: he started this thing that we’ve all come to enjoy, and now, over two years later, we’re at the 100th contest!     

The quality of last couple of week’s contests is going to be tough to follow. I’ve been very impressed (and am a bit intimidated) by the job – both of presentation and analysis – that anordinaryman and Aquila accomplished. Also, the contests themselves left a wonderful amount of open breathing space for real creativity.

I certainly won’t be able to equal the analytical strength of recent judging (I simply don’t have the Dominion skills), but it would be great if the contest itself were worthy of the 100th. I have an idea that isn’t quite polished enough, that I will use if necessary, but if no one objects, I would like to leave this space open for 24 hours for contest suggestions. If anyone has a big idea to celebrate the 100th (cards with at least 100 words? cards costing $100? but seriously . . . ), it would be great to hear it. Anyone?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8002 on: December 30, 2020, 11:25:12 am »

I think my idea would have been 'no restrictions' for contest #100, but we just did that.

If you want it to be especially big, you could require a submission with at least 2 card-shaped components. (Traveler line or split pile or vampire-ish exchange thing Hermit-style or card with heirloom ...)

Or even with at least 3 components, which would be much harder.

spheremonk

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8003 on: December 30, 2020, 11:39:42 am »
+1

I think my idea would have been 'no restrictions' for contest #100, but we just did that.

If you want it to be especially big, you could require a submission with at least 2 card-shaped components. (Traveler line or split pile or vampire-ish exchange thing Hermit-style or card with heirloom ...)

Or even with at least 3 components, which would be much harder.

I agree that "no restrictions" would've made sense for 100, but alas, it was 99. Coincidentally, the backup idea that I will use if necessary involves two components, as you suggest, but it's still not really big or fun enough for the 100th. So let's have a little one-day mini-contest to pick a 100th contest . . .

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #8004 on: December 30, 2020, 01:01:59 pm »
+1

Contest suggestion: either do the first challenge again (treasure reaction) or do a card based on a real historical figure
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8005 on: December 30, 2020, 01:10:24 pm »

You could make 'exactly 3 card-shaped pieces' to make it extra difficult. We have almost none of those.

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #8006 on: December 30, 2020, 01:44:49 pm »

Thank you, Aquila! It means a lot. I really appreciate all the love people gave the card. I agree with Aquila that segura’s Aristocrat is elegant and interesting and would’ve been a great winner as well.

We should all thank and congratulate Doom_Shark: he started this thing that we’ve all come to enjoy, and now, over two years later, we’re at the 100th contest!     

The quality of last couple of week’s contests is going to be tough to follow. I’ve been very impressed (and am a bit intimidated) by the job – both of presentation and analysis – that anordinaryman and Aquila accomplished. Also, the contests themselves left a wonderful amount of open breathing space for real creativity.

I certainly won’t be able to equal the analytical strength of recent judging (I simply don’t have the Dominion skills), but it would be great if the contest itself were worthy of the 100th. I have an idea that isn’t quite polished enough, that I will use if necessary, but if no one objects, I would like to leave this space open for 24 hours for contest suggestions. If anyone has a big idea to celebrate the 100th (cards with at least 100 words? cards costing $100? but seriously . . . ), it would be great to hear it. Anyone?

It may be a good idea, but I, myself, don't feel so confortable to suggest a theme for a contest in which I will propably participate as candidate.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 01:46:00 pm by Carline »

spheremonk

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8007 on: December 30, 2020, 02:02:22 pm »
+2

It may be a good idea, but I, myself, don't feel so comfortable to suggest a theme for a contest in which I will probably participate as candidate.
I considered the ethical issue before I suggested it. If the judge and rule-maker of a contest solicits potential contestants to suggest ideas for the contest, it is per se non-problematic for such a potential contestant to suggest a topic.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #8008 on: December 30, 2020, 02:08:20 pm »

"Design a potion cost card"?
jk
but there's a thread full of ideas here

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #8009 on: December 30, 2020, 02:08:36 pm »
+1

This is one of the ideas I had for the next contest, but I still have plenty of ideas left, so I'll suggest it for this contest: Make me skip King's Court. Making the most powerful card in the game somehow skippable seems fitting for contest #100, no?
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #8010 on: December 30, 2020, 02:11:31 pm »
+1

It may be a good idea, but I, myself, don't feel so comfortable to suggest a theme for a contest in which I will probably participate as candidate.
I considered the ethical issue before I suggested it. If the judge and rule-maker of a contest solicits potential contestants to suggest ideas for the contest, it is per se non-problematic for such a potential contestant to suggest a topic.

Of course, I don't see any problem in you ask and others make suggestions. I told only about how I feel to suggest.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8011 on: December 30, 2020, 02:11:59 pm »
+1

I think that will be much harder to do with Goons than King's Court. And probably more interesting since you can't just design a slog-inducing card.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #8012 on: December 30, 2020, 02:15:14 pm »
+1

Here's the thread of weekly design contest ideas: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20501.0

a few of my favorites:
- A kingdom treasure that doesn't cost $5
- A unique village
- A card with a unique combination of types (that isn't on any official card) -suggested by Jonatan Djurachkovitch
- A card-shaped thing that costs more than $8  (or just more than $6 would also be good) -suggested by Marpharos
- An Action-Treasure card  -suggested by Gubump
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 02:48:45 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8013 on: December 30, 2020, 02:16:31 pm »

I think that will be much harder to do with Goons than King's Court. And probably more interesting since you can't just design a slog-inducing card.

I agree, actually. I don't know how I didn't think of that.

- A unique village

What do you mean by a "unique" village? Village variant was the prompt for Contest #38.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 02:24:13 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8014 on: December 30, 2020, 02:48:33 pm »

I agree, actually. I don't know how I didn't think of that.
+1 to the "Make me skip Goons" idea

- A unique village

What do you mean by a "unique" village? Village variant was the prompt for Contest #38.
uh... I don't know. I guess I was just thinking village variant. maybe we can repeat that one sometime, but nevermind that idea for this week...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 02:49:58 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #8015 on: December 30, 2020, 03:01:33 pm »
+3

My ideas for something special for the big 100. These to me feel a little "special"
  • The very first contest again. Design a Treasure Reaction (fika monster already said this, I independently had that idea, too)
  • Using the last three contest winners, design a card that somehow interacts with some of them
  • Design a card that is good on its own and combos with a previous contest winner. OR we can narrow this down by letting participants choose on of the last 5 winners.
  • Make a second edition of an existing expansion -- remove 1 card and add 2 or some variant to Seaside. Or some other expansion.
  • Submit any previously submitted card by anyone
  • Design a card that breaks a design-philosophy. Perhaps we would pick one to break like "don't do sliver+ for 4" or "no strictly better cards at same or cheaper price point" or "don't be political"
  • Create a set of cards that replace Estates, Duchies, Provinces, Coppers, Silvers, and/or Golds. The thought behind this is these are the untouchable aspects of Dominion. Would be wild to do something different here.
  • Fix Scout, or add a card-shaped-thing that combos with Scout and makes Scout strong
  • Propose a fan "fix" to any card. Pirate Ship and Contraband stick out to me personally as interesting mechanics that don't work due to weakness often.
  • Design a "Knight/Castles" like pile where each card is different. Could be a bit of a nightmare of judging complexity which is why I would only propose it for the big 100. I also think we would give the judge extra time to evaluate cards.

I disagree with splitting this off each contest to a new thread. Having a new thread for each contest makes it just as hard to find previous submissions... now you have to search in multiple threads threads for the card you're trying to find. I find it cleanest just to have this same thread. Also, in the contest of the forum, is very fun to have a historical thread that goes on for a long time. It makes you feel connected to a wider history.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 03:06:28 pm by anordinaryman »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8016 on: December 30, 2020, 03:14:45 pm »
+2

• Using the last three contest winners, design a card that somehow interacts with some of them
  • Design a card that is good on its own and combos with a previous contest winner. OR we can narrow this down by letting participants choose on of the last 5 winners.
  • Design a "Knight/Castles" like pile where each card is different. Could be a bit of a nightmare of judging complexity which is why I would only propose it for the big 100. I also think we would give the judge extra time to evaluate cards.

I like these three ideas.

I disagree with splitting this off each contest to a new thread. Having a new thread for each contest makes it just as hard to find previous submissions... now you have to search in multiple threads threads for the card you're trying to find. I find it cleanest just to have this same thread. Also, in the contest of the forum, is very fun to have a historical thread that goes on for a long time. It makes you feel connected to a wider history.

I disagree that making new threads would make it just as hard to find previous submissions. As long as you know which contest the card you're looking for was submitted to (which is not a very tall ask, since a lot of cards were blatantly made with the contest in mind), then you know which thread to look for. Currently, you'd have very little idea which of the >160 pages the card you're looking for is in unless you know which # the contest was, which is a lot harder to remember than specific prompts, for obvious reasons, and still doesn't narrow it down nearly as much as new threads would.

I somewhat agree with making new threads for this reason. But this problem would be fixed (or at least alleviated) by making the Trello easier to find and more up-to-date.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 03:37:52 pm by Gubump »

Freddy10

• Thief
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
« Reply #8017 on: December 30, 2020, 03:52:11 pm »
+2

Can a Child board like Mini-Set Design Contest be done? I think it solves both problems. I think this thread is popular enough to upgrade it
Who trashes the trashers?

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #8018 on: December 30, 2020, 09:52:22 pm »

Can a Child board like Mini-Set Design Contest be done? I think it solves both problems. I think this thread is popular enough to upgrade it

who do we talk to about that? theory?

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #8019 on: December 30, 2020, 10:39:44 pm »

We could report the post, so a moderator looks at it. I hope that isn't against the rules.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8020 on: December 30, 2020, 10:41:06 pm »

We could report the post, so a moderator looks at it. I hope that isn't against the rules.

I feel like it probably is. Either way, we shouldn't do it that way.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8021 on: December 30, 2020, 11:09:47 pm »

We could just use the mini set design subfolder

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #8022 on: December 30, 2020, 11:39:19 pm »

We could just use the mini set design subfolder
Isn't that for a separate contest?

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #8023 on: December 31, 2020, 04:41:36 am »
+1

I feel like it probably is. Either way, we shouldn't do it that way.
We can always send them a message. I went ahead and did that. It's probably good to host the next contest in this thread while we give theory some time to handle it.

If anyone would like to be a moderator of the new subboard, it might be good to let theory know as well. I offered to do this so that we can go ahead, but I'm also fine not taking that responibility.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #8024 on: December 31, 2020, 08:50:49 am »
+2

My suggestion for the 100th contest... Make a card called "Donald".
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 08:52:05 am by infangthief »
Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 21 queries.