Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1558440 times)

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1433
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #7975 on: December 27, 2020, 03:14:26 pm »
+1

It is the DeLorean, man.

No, seriously, I rarely put cards nowadays from the forum into my "might print them the next time I print Dominion cards" data folder. But this is a such a cool design with Scheme and Village and the tokens and everybody thinking about what card that dudes with Magi choose and what you think that the other dudes think that the dudes with Magi choose that I already put it into that folder.
It might totally not work, like any interactive card with potential scaling issues. But I love non-Attack interaction in Dominion and it is very hard to come up with such designs (I virtually never achieve it).

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #7976 on: December 27, 2020, 03:15:27 pm »

Alms does not set aside and play. Summon is the most similar landscape and to me Dispatch looks pretty strong. All the Messenger tricks work.

With Alms you spend a Buy and gain a card.

With Dispatch you spend $4 and a Buy, gain a card and the others players gain a duplication for free when they gain that card.

I really don't know if play the card compensate these differences.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #7977 on: December 27, 2020, 03:18:40 pm »
+3

No, I am defending your design against Gubump who bluntly ignores all the subtleties of your design. Critique is important, unwarranted hyperbole, mathetical fallacies and ignorance of self-balancing ingredients is not.
Whatever the case is, there are ways to put forth arguments and, as it has happened before, you are not doing a very good job of keeping this friendly. From the sarcastic emotes, to the low-key insults, to the hypocrisy of accusing Gubump of ignoring you while you abuse that privilege yourself, to the absolutely condescending attitude of saying stuff like: “gee, idiot, this is Dominion 101”, it is fair to say that you are not trying to argue in good faith.

It is good to have discussions about card balance. I will accept anyone's critique with open arms. After all, that’s what we love and improving our skills at designing is always welcomed! But there are ways to do so, a decorum to respect if you will. Being vindictive as you vilify those you argue with just brings the whole friendliness of this thread down and lemme tell you, that just makes things heavy, man.
Bottom text

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7978 on: December 27, 2020, 03:20:12 pm »
+1

Alms does not set aside and play. Summon is the most similar landscape and to me Dispatch looks pretty strong. All the Messenger tricks work.

With Alms you spend a Buy and gain a card.

With Dispatch you spend $4 and a Buy, gain a card and the others players gain a duplication for free when they gain that card.

I really don't know if play the card compensate these differences.
Suimmon tells you that story. Summon is better than: +1 Card +1 Action Gain a $4
Good players can run engines with Summon as only splitter.
You often pay $3 for +2 Cards (Experiment, Expedition).

I don't get the comparison with Alms. All that Alms does, ignoring tricks when you run engines with virtual Coins and a Buy to spare and really get a free $4, is to always generate a minimum of 4 Coins for you. That is cool but not wild.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #7979 on: December 27, 2020, 03:31:45 pm »
+1

Different strategies? Either you need a splitter or you don't, either your Magi suffice or the Villagers you get via other Magi suffice. I don't see how this scales badly with player count. In multiplayer you are actually more likely to freeride on the Villagers, i.e. Magi might ironically be actually be weaker than in 2P in this respect.

This part is more difficult to answer properly. It is not only about Splitters. It could be an Attack card that the Magi player sets aside with the knowledge (or a high certainty) that the single opponent doesn't have it in hand or deck. In a similar way, it could be a Smithy allowing a big draw at the start of the next turn. Not a good idea if the opponent can make their Smithy non-terminal.

If it is a Village, and the opponents are more or less forced to play at least one Village, as their turn would otherwise suck, then with one opponent that one would get 1 Villager (assuming one Village was played) and the Magi player gets 1 Coffers (1-1 ratio). With 3 opponents, and all opponents play exactly 1 Village, each of them gets one Villager, but the Magi player gets 3 Coffers (1-3 ratio). I think that is what Gubump had in mind.

I quote my own post as I think this is important and it got buried in a flood of posts.
The lower part shows that the Magi player gets more tokens than each individual opponent with an increasing number of players. That is what Gubumb means, I think.

However, the top part about Attack cards and Smithies (and likely other cards) shouldn't be ignored. And here, this part of Magi becomes weaker with more players as the Magi player looses flexibility (or suffers more drawbacks).

And this could very well mean that the two aspects with respect to player count balance each other out.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7980 on: December 27, 2020, 03:33:09 pm »
+1

No, I am defending your design against Gubump who bluntly ignores all the subtleties of your design. Critique is important, unwarranted hyperbole, mathetical fallacies and ignorance of self-balancing ingredients is not.
Whatever the case is, there are ways to put forth arguments and, as it has happened before, you are not doing a very good job of keeping this friendly. From the sarcastic emotes, to the low-key insults, to the hypocrisy of accusing Gubump of ignoring you while you abuse that privilege yourself, to the absolutely condescending attitude of saying stuff like: “gee, idiot, this is Dominion 101”, it is fair to say that you are not trying to argue in good faith.

It is good to have discussions about card balance. I will accept anyone's critique with open arms. After all, that’s what we love and improving our skills at designing is always welcomed! But there are ways to do so, a decorum to respect if you will. Being vindictive as you vilify those you argue with just brings the whole friendliness of this thread down and lemme tell you, that just makes things heavy, man.

I don't apologize for defending a sublime design against an irrational attack (the respective poster first claimed that the card is too good in multiplayer and then he claimed that the villager leeching is too good; such contradictory claims are the most clear sign of an irrational analysis). If that makes me the villain, so be it. I did not insult anybody and I certainly don't mean to disrespect Gubump in any way. He is a hiqh quality content poster but in this instance, he errs.

Sometimes we go too far here. Everybody posts here for the feedback that helps us to improve our designs. But sometimes folks just nitpick and critique for no reason at all and use far harsher criteria than they use for official cards.
If a card is great, applause is warranted.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #7981 on: December 27, 2020, 03:43:17 pm »
+3

I dunno man. I feel like that, based on this exchanged, I'm not too confident in placing a word about this or that about someone's design. Should I say something, uh, "not worthy of criticism", I'd be in danger of being accused to not know my "Dominion 101". That's not very inviting and, rather than taking the risk to embark on the wonderful journey of discussion, I think it's best I don't say anything at all. That is the vibe I'm getting from this. It's not a very positive one.

It ain’t a hivemind here. Where this guy likes a card very much, maybe this gal over there will think there are shortcomings. It’d be within that person’s right to say at least why they think like that. Just like it’s anyone’s right to refute their judgement. So long as it’s done in respect, man, I’m all for it.

Anyway! Let's not dwell on that too much. I still have some Christmas spirit left after all.  :D
Bottom text

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7982 on: December 27, 2020, 03:44:49 pm »
+2

So how about discussing all the interaction that Magi brings into the game? A lot of stuff about card design is technical but those technicalities are "the beginning of wisdom, not the end". Whether a card is actually great to play with has far less to do with how balanced it is (that is the easy part, design- and analysis-wise) and far more with how fun and interesting it is (that is the tricky part, that is the magic and the art of designing Dominion cards in specific and boardgame-wise in general).

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #7983 on: December 27, 2020, 03:51:11 pm »
+2

Dispatch is almost certainly not weak. The value of playing a trashing card on T2 is bonkers. There's no way you don't start T1 dispatching Steward, Ambassador, Chapel, or Rebuild.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #7984 on: December 27, 2020, 03:58:45 pm »
+2

So how about discussing all the interaction that Magi brings into the game? A lot of stuff about card design is technical but those technicalities are "the beginning of wisdom, not the end". Whether a card is actually great to play with has far less to do with how balanced it is (that is the easy part, design- and analysis-wise) and far more with how fun and interesting it is (that is the tricky part, that is the magic and the art of designing Dominion cards in specific and boardgame-wise in general).
Hehe, I actually agree with this. But! This might be because to know if a card is "feelsgood", there's no better way to pinpoint that than by playtesting. And I bet most people here would find it too heavy of an endeavour to do so on each and everyone's submissions. Technicalities are the easier stuff to spot, so I guess that's what gets discussed the most here. Usually, you can be more confident discussing these technicalities rather the feeling of the card itself.

More often than not, these nit-picks are good at polishing the card. I've observed on certain situations however that people's attempts to "fix" things, while being absolutely nice and generous in nature, sometimes degenerate a card into what it ain't trying to be. This doesn't happen enough for it to be annoying, but it can be... errr, some kind of pitfall. Hate that word though. Anyway! The feeling of a card is what makes it so awesome to begin with, as you have correctly noted. That should be the most important thing to keep in mind. And the small "on-the-side" fixes shouldn't go against that core idea. Or ideally, they should try to avoid to do so.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 03:59:56 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7985 on: December 27, 2020, 04:10:36 pm »
+1

Often the power level really is off, the wording is bad or you ignored rule issues and interactions. I don’t think I ever had a design without any such issues.
But I sometimes worry that if somebody posted Chariot Race (in a mirror universe in which the card did not officially exist) that it would be ripped apart, that nobody would notice that a supposed golden deck with only Chariot Races would not work due to their low cost ... and that nobody would point out the interactive merits and numerous feedback effects on your ideal deck construction (e.g. potentially greening earlier to increase the average cost of cards in your deck) of this hypothetical fan card.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #7986 on: December 27, 2020, 06:13:20 pm »
+1

The interactive element is definitely what makes Magi super-interesting. 

I don't see why it is debatable that Magi  is more powerful at higher player counts (your own hypothetical example shows that the power of the card increases with more players).  Whether that's a bad thing is an entirely different question; it can still work even if it is more powerful at higher player counts.  There is some self-balancing that comes from the in-built trade-off between playing an Action card and gaining Villagers vs. giving the opponent Coffers, but that is completely independent of player count.

My initial impression is that at high player counts Magi might be too centralizing (at the same time, Magi might be the perfect antidote to other cards that can be super-centralizing).  Nonetheless, I don't think there's any point in tweaking the card without first playtesting it at different player counts.  In fact, in an earlier comment to gambit, I mentioned that I think trying to address how the card scales at different player counts might take the fun out of Magi.  I like the fact that each time your opponent has the opportunity to play the set-aside card, they need to analyze the trade-off between playing the Action and gaining something, or giving you something else (the concept could work with something other than Villagers and Coffers).  I love the fact that its very presence in the Kingdom will force you think about how you want to construct your deck. 

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7987 on: December 27, 2020, 06:29:41 pm »
+2

The point about the independence of the self balancing is wrong. In 3P, there are on average double the amount of Magis of other players in play so you get on average double the amount of Villagers, i.e. it becomes much more feasible to actually skip Magi as a splitter.
Whether this over- or undercompensates the increase in Coffers tokens that you get when you use the card actively is anything but clear. DXV mentioned that a cantrip that yields Villagers is basically a $4.5 (it is trivial: Peddler is better than Village but engine consistency matters matters more than Coins so you strangely want relatively more of the weaker card; same with the tokens versions) I seriously doubt that that it swings much in either direction.

Or in other words, the built in self balance mechanism very likely works pretty well.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 06:42:24 pm by segura »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1683
    • View Profile
« Reply #7988 on: December 27, 2020, 06:49:12 pm »

The point about the independence of the self balancing is wrong. In 3P, there are on average double the amount of Magis of other players in play so you get on average double the amount of Villagers, i.e. it becomes much more feasible to actually skip Magi as a splitter.
Whether this over- or undercompensates the increase in Coffers tokens that you get when you use the card actively is anything but clear. DXV mentioned that a cantrip that yields Villagers is basically a $4.5 (it is trivial: Peddler is better than Village but engine consistency matters matters more than Coins so you strangely want relatively more of the weaker card; same with the tokens versions) I seriously doubt that that it swings much in either direction.

Or in other words, the built in self balance mechanism very likely works pretty well.

I think you've changed my mind about Magi. There is one more point I want to bring up, however; I agree that for the most part Villagers are more important than Coffers, but there's a point at which getting more Villagers is pointless. Once you have over a dozen Villagers, you're probably not going to need very many more for the rest of the game. The same cannot be said of Coffers. There isn't really such a thing as an excess of Coffers like there is for Villagers.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 06:52:19 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7989 on: December 27, 2020, 06:53:01 pm »

True that, there is a satiation level with Villagers but not with Coffers. Perhaps that is why Recruiter is „only“ overpowered and not utterly bonkers.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1683
    • View Profile
« Reply #7990 on: December 27, 2020, 07:18:52 pm »

This card's been mildly playtested. The fact that you have to wait until Clean-up to put it on your Tavern mat means that you won't be able to call it the same turn you play it.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #7991 on: December 27, 2020, 08:55:49 pm »
+1

It's a good point about having a higher probability of having multiple Magis in play at higher player counts (assuming players buy a similar number of Magis) but I think you're then more likely to hit the point of diminishing returns with Villagers.

Just as a thought exercise (not suggesting gambit needs to change anything now), do you think the card would still be fun if the boni from Magi were immediate (or at the start of the next turn in the case of the player who played Magi) rather than tokens?

On a side note, I'm really curious how this would play out in real games.  Will players be more likely to mirror or less?  I'm not actually sure.

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +481
    • View Profile
« Reply #7992 on: December 28, 2020, 02:46:11 am »

Yay, that's satisfying! The Latin for eagle is Aquila~.
Thanks anordinaryman, that was an interesting contest!

We're almost at contest 100, and we're at a somewhat significant time of year, so I propose something big (and challenging to judge):

Contest #99: Free For All
Just one restriction: no new mechanics. Go nuts; put together the best design you can think of! Sift through all the options and select something you know works. I will attempt to keep an open mind towards different audiences, and I anticipate a very big shortlist of potential runners-up. To choose a winner I guess may involve some personal preference if things are really close.

No bonus points for holiday theme by the way, but a narrow margin may be decided by relevance of theme to the mechanics. I will heavily favour mechanical balance and interest however.

whens the deadline? its been a week,  i thought it was a weekly contest?
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +384
    • View Profile
« Reply #7993 on: December 28, 2020, 08:06:19 am »
+2

Tried this with 3 choices, but it's too wordy that way by far. I prefer the either/or decision.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #7994 on: December 28, 2020, 11:49:20 am »
+4

whens the deadline? its been a week,  i thought it was a weekly contest?
I allowed a little more time for the holidays, for those who spent time with family.

Now I'm calling: 24 hours left.

I anticipate judging to be up by ~17:00 forum time tomorrow.

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #7995 on: December 28, 2020, 12:59:40 pm »
+5

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #7996 on: December 29, 2020, 05:20:56 pm »
+7

Results
Maybe free for all was so open a brief the sheer number of options was a challenge, or maybe you were convinced in one particular idea. Looks like the latter was the case more often. There's a wide variety of entries here, so time to open my mind...

And nice work on presenting the last contest results anordinaryman, I'll copy you:

littlefish
Heist - Event, $3 cost.
Each player (including you) reveals the top 2 cards of their deck. Gain a Treasure costing up to $1 per 1VP revealed. Then each player puts their revealed cards back in any order.
You can get a Gold if you find a Province or enough Duchies and Estates to add up to 6. Seeing that this costs the same as Silver this is pretty much the principle use; kingdom Treasures costing $4+ and Platinum add more of course. It’s more likely to work late game and with more players.

How often will buying $3 Golds late game be interesting? It might be worth it sometimes, but with a chance of failing and having to swallow a Copper, maybe not. Is the player interaction interesting? Rather like Tribute, not particularly, and of course it’s almost pointless if you set up a Province to reveal in your own deck.

There’s also the question of what happens with variable VP cards.

Cheaper price, optional gain, clarity with all Victory cards or maybe more excitement from the player interaction would be possible areas to improve.

silverspawn       
Firstly an individual stage run-through:

Orphan - super weak, you’re obviously supposed to advance her. She can set up the later stages, and the option to flip the journey token lets double Orphan openings work safely for triggering the first Servant.

Servant - Chapel that comes in a shuffle later than usual. Significantly weaker than it since the chance of good cards showing up with it is higher, and Servant will very likely be the priority play in a terminal clash, to upgrade her.

Wanderer - now the journey token flip gets non-terminal. Here you can spend the token use on doubling the size of your next hand; certainly worthwhile, a bit like a non-terminal Ranger. If you then have a Servant and a face down token, kaboom.

Night Owl - a mass trasher not looking at your hand. Maybe you need to trim your deck right down - like Donate but at a more sensible time of game - or you’re getting heavily junked. The latter is going to possibly happen because Sorceress.

Sorceress - looks a bit like Vampire in being a gainer and Attack every other play. All those Coppers your Servants and Night Owls trashed will fly your opponents’ way, until their Servants and Night Owls send them back. You set up Ambassador wars with two or more cards from this line, all the while building up your deck. You want to be sitting as far right to the Sorceress player as possible, so you may not have to get so many Coppers.

Overall: big spikes of engine power. I think that if you go for this line, you'll invest in a lot of it so everything works more often. You'll get 2 or even 4 Orphans and build up to one or two Sorceresses, or use Wanderer for draw with some trashing on the way. Upgrading accelerates very quickly with the effects of each stage.
At first I thought Sorceress didn't use the journey token and worked every turn, so its junking negated the earlier trashing a bit. I'm wondering if as it is now it might be a tad weak for the end card, even though you can get to it quickly? Possibly some people would like Orphan to do something for you now as well.

Conclusion: I'm liking the progression and overall strategy of the line. It would likely make a pleasing substitute for Chapel and Donate haters. If Sorceress is strong enough, it is convincing.

seguraIf you pull off the Action play, it's a better Necropolis; this potential Village function saves it from being a pure token Baker. Add the Treasure play and you get a Coffers with it, together with the Treasure playing in Action phase niche; Black Market and Storyteller play Treasures then for necessary functionality, whilst this does it for elegance, it just needs to check there’s a Treasure in hand. Then the Victory check. The Horse gain not only develops the later power theme of the Villager and Coffers but it helps to not let the discarded Victory be redrawn.

Altogether, it likes sifting and absolutely loves draw cards. The single Horse gain feels just right for self-synergy here, being an Action to play and providing effectively just +1 Card. When a stronger draw is present (indeed draw to x), then these can become an effective Village for your deck.

Elegant and fun when it works, I like this.

MochaMoko    Welcome to the forum and the contest. The individual cards:

Rally - the woodcutter bonus is tame for a $5, though the ability to get more copies for more of the later stages is neat and can be good with trash-for-benefit. There are good reasons to upgrade this, and it does support the later stages, but the bonus could still be a little stronger or this could be cheaper.

Campaign - Necropolis that sometimes gives 2VP. It needs Rally with it to work all the time, and giving VP couples with Rally's direct payload bonuses well, but this is a very underwhelming total effect for an upgrade from a $5 cost card. Either it's meant to be upgraded again or it needs more power.

Homecoming - draw and throne are a strong pairing, and the ability to gain copies of it at Rally is neat. You could definitely draw first here though, to expand the search range for the action to throne; this would come closer to something stronger than $7 cost.

Overall: I'm basically in agreement with what has already been said that this line is weak as is. But I do like the set of effects all together, engine and payload but needing some support.

LibraryAdventurer
Drunken Huntsman
$5 - Action - Attack
+1 Card, +1 Action, +$1.
Each other player discards down to 4 cards in hand. Then each player with any cards in hand passes one to the next such player to their left, at once.
Peddlers are easy to add to any deck, so we can straight away assume the attack will always be launched, so the presence of this in the game will always shape play. There's a mild hand size attack and what could be seen as a form of junking for everyone (Masquerade every turn is asking everyone to keep junk around) all in one package. Especially with the latter, this will be heavily warping and I'm not sure in a very fun way; cantrip Masquerade means either junk you can't get rid of unlike cursers with trashing, or deck destruction like Swindler. Having a smaller hand size beforehand compounds this even further, and maybe you must discard something good.

Also, there may be some people who want to show a Moat to this to not be affected by the Masquerade bit. Maybe say 'those who discarded any cards' take part, if that should be an issue, and that would truly make it a once-per-turn attack.

spinefluIf there are extra +buys besides the first turn change this makes, the VP part means a little. If there aren't, just use Baths. In this light, it definitely looks like this wanted to be an Edict with just the first turn change, but has the VP bit to qualify for the contest.

Is the change interesting? Sometimes, I'm thinking, but often not, like when a strong $6+ card (Forge, Goons) is in the kingdom and it's the automatic opening with the extra VP further scripting it. Some $5s fall into this category too, and Cemetery. You could say take all these cards out when playing with this, but you're not left with much to build towards mid game so it's hard to see how this could be fun.

pubbyThe effect of this is random each game, so that makes it very replayable. Do 2 $3s make a $5 with the discarding as well? Thinking of a few combos…

- +2 Cards and a cantrip, that's double lab plus whatever else the cards do. Stronger than lab at the same price.
- Similarly, Experiment + anything.
- +2 Cards and a + $2, plus extra things, is probably more than $5.
- Oasis and Watchtower with the initial discard will be strong.
- Scheme will let multiples of the other $3 be played every turn.

So there are cases when it's clearly stronger than $5 and the game is potentially scripted. And there are times when it's bad, like say Storeroom and Fool. I feel that often there will be a lot of control at setup selecting a pair of cards that will be an interesting decision to go for in the game, and overall a higher price would be more balanced. It may be fun at first, 'what's Twins going to do this time?', but that seems to quickly disappear.

Xen3kThe card gained is going to be different from the trashed one; so it can't simply mill Provinces for a VP each time, it's going to always be a builder card. The Action gaining will be particularly strong, adding Action cards to the deck whilst removing bad cards and getting Villages to play them. Add in the VP advantage at the greening phase as well and this feels like either a top tier $5 or a $6.

A powerful engine piece, it feels nice to play with. If it's balanced at $5, I like it.

TiminouSo during the same turn, this can give + $2 and 1 or 2 Ruins effects, with a possible deck thinning Ruins trash, if you play a Village then this then another Action. The potential is very high, like it could become a double peddler in total. It starts off tame, but I think that the cost would average out at something higher than $2. And that's not considering the extra flexibility of storing these up for a mega turn.

The way it escalates as each player plays it can feel quite fun, especially with how this will be different each game, though with a lot of players it could speed up to its optimal condition, the right 2 Ruins in the trash, very quickly.

It's also like Trade Route, where players can wait until it's made strong enough so the first buyer can be at a disadvantage; the possible benefit to the first player, instead of buys and trashing, is having some one-shot silvers and a buildup to a spike of Ruins plays mid game.

Overall, it feels like a potentially fun card, but it's perhaps a little too cheap.

faustThis struggles in all random games, as there could easily be no means of discarding, but Windfall is sometimes impossible to trigger as well. As an Event, it's easy to swap out if desired.

Is it interesting when it can work? With sifting more can usually be done after discarding, but the need for a precise number to discard limits flexibility; and some sifting has fixed discard value so some prices will be impossible to hit, e.g Forum by itself could never hit $5. With payload discard-for-benefit, the benefit can be near enough doubled so if good hand size increase is also in the game and probably also a +Buy it will be the way to go.

Overall, a niche card that seems a little too narrow to be interesting. Windfall nearly always complements the intended strategy, whereas this can conflict a little with some of its intended strategies.

mandioca15
Cascade (Action, $5)

You may play an Action card costing less than this from your hand three times.
This is a card that can’t be changed, either it works or it doesn't and testing will tell. One neat thing is that you can never Cascade a Cascade, so it's a much simpler play than KC. If balanced, this is simple, effective and likeable.

FragasnapA cheap multi-purpose card like Pawn and Squire. It might at first cause analysis paralysis with this many options, but it does seem to have ways to understand it simply. You know if it needs to be a trasher or a necropolis. If you're looking to sift, you know afterwards if you need the second +Action. So if you have a clear objective when buying this, it will reward with its flexibility. If not, it will hurt, as it reduces hand size.

I imagine in most games you start with sift or Horse and trash, unless you need +action to play other purchases, then make this a Village or more ideally economy and use better villages.

So it works, but it may be a bit more than $2 cost. Is it interesting? It can do lots, but it has fixed overall niches, so yes; it's just balance that’s the question.

Edit: Horse gain instead of Silver. If anything this makes the $2 cost even more questionable as trash and Horse to start is arguably stronger than trash and Silver.

spheremonkThe ruins Command means this is sometimes: a Bazaar, $5 cost; Lost City $6; Bustling Village, maybe $5; Worker's Village or a sifting Village, less than $5. The average is about right. The attack is capped at once per turn, and comes at a cost to all players using this if it's overused; it's also trickier if it's the only non-terminal action in a game - the attack must be used - but then it’s the only village even after the Ruins empty so still useful.

Is it interesting? The randomness of the command should be fun rather than annoying, since there is always +1 Card (the important bonus with +Actions) and +2 is unlikely so it's unwise to trust in it, or indeed in the others. And the attack is unlikely to create slogs like with Cultist, but it forces the command to change so sometimes adaptation is needed.

So it's a contender.

X-traThe ideal is hoard them then chain them. The result is some draw and more than enough Actions. Even lining two up is 1 Card 4 Actions, a pretty good deal for two $2s. Three brings the hand size back to the same, so it's a nice benchmark to reach, and four and beyond increase hand size. So there is a strong impetus to getting one of these very early to really contest the pile; the setback is foregoing some economy to hit $5 reliably and increasing the need for trashing or sifting until enough are collected to reliably connect.

If, though, the deck is all drawn and 2 Districts are played, the player gains the rest of the pile, which can be a win condition seeing there are 16 of them; but doing that quickly is often skillful (ignoring Chapel and Donate).

Is it interesting? Skill or chance can determine how well the split is won; the times when it takes skill are good, but the times when someone tries but fails by chance won't be. The worst case is some mediocre but not useless Necropoli. With two players, the average split is 8 each, which is pretty massive and ample engine support.

So overall, I see how it's fun, but also how it kills the fun in some games. Scaling the number of Districts to be per player might help a bit, but not in the auto empty scenario.

gambit05The splitting function this has is quite strong, it's like Scheme followed by Lost City start of next turn. Or it's like a non-terminal easier to connect half Prince, and two rotated are a more flexible Prince.

Now factoring in the tokens. This itself is a potent splitter, so the villager gift is a little limited in desirability. The Coffers the player gets can be very volatile, particularly with more players and/or later game when Action piles are more empty.

So either players ignore the Coffers and/or want Villagers, play normally or mirror the Magi player, and the game is over fast; or they're avoiding collecting too many of one card to lessen the Coffers. It's unrealistic to expect the latter to happen that often with more players. In 2-player...it seems to depend on when Magi are gained? If early the latter can happen, if too late the volatile situation may happen? Yet if they're the only splitter then riding on free Villagers will point to the volatile way too. Hard to tell without testing with multiple players, which I'm not in a position to do.

Overall, it looks too strong and probably too centralising. It might be worth testing at $5.

fika monster        Starting with an individual consideration:

Dissatisfied Worker - a cantrip start means these are easy to add to the deck and upgrade. Their journey token flip supports the later stages nicely, absorbing the face downs. The face up Silver to everyone is situationally useful, but since it's on a cantrip it could be made into a junking attack of sorts.

Beginning Artist - right away here's something that likes cantrip token flip, but this will also junk you (and the opponents) with Silver. Like Priest, it's hard to pull off well, and more time will be needed to get the support of the fourth stage.

Starved Artist - Forge capped at 3 cards, that is strong. The balancing downside is a clever use of the journey token to gain 2 curses if it's on the negative side. The windows Forge works in can be small, and the curses here make those windows even smaller.

Supporter of Art - a support card for the rest of the line, if it can flip the token face down. There are times when collecting lots of these just because they're Lost Cities might be merited, especially with Beginning Artist being available payload.

Renaissance man - very similar to silverspawn’s Sorceress, swapping junking and moving to top of deck at Clean-up for another $6 gain and easier activation with a cantrip first stage. If you get to play this early enough, it can set up amazing next turns. Going late, it can gain 2 Duchies but sacrifice next turn (if there is a next turn).

Overall: this line has almost every engine component in it; the only thing missing is strong draw. There isn't much interaction to consider with the rest of the kingdom. This sets the interest back a bit for me, but it has a fun feel with the interactions amongst each stage.

anordinarymanA cheap Summon is definitely worth using, but the setback adds some differences; the pile you Summon from will quickly get emptier, with the opponents' Exiled cards and later their gained copies to free them from Exile. This creates issues, especially with more players. If there is a later Dispatch from the same pile, it's very likely opponents won't Exile a copy, so it becomes a more free cheap Summon. Also, players further right from the Dispatch user are at a greater risk of being unable to free their Exiled cards, further strengthening the Dispatch.

So, rather close to Summon, and the extra mechanics here don't seem worth it. Summon itself would be a nicer card to use.

GubumpAn OK +$ +buy now, a stronger one later. It's fine balance wise when compared to Haggler - it's across 2 turns and the +$ can’t boost the gain effect - and the store up for mega turn potential adds interest.

It could be questioned why it calls on buy rather than gain. It seems to restrict its uses for not much reason. It could potentially be played on two consecutive turns with an Action phase or out of turn gain then drawing it, which seems rare enough to allow as combo potential. And the Buy phase function is the same.

Still, it's a sweet card despite this.

D782802859It can be a cheap Workshop that sometimes gives your opponents a big bonus, or sometimes you give away nothing; or, it's a draw for you and forced Workshop for them. That latter option is not nice for your opponents, especially when you have an empty discard and it's just that part, as it can be like junking when used a lot. Those further right of the user (in 3+ player games) are hurt more on average as the nice cards disappear.

If the Workshop was optional...the draw option would be strong for a $2 when you want to use it and your good cards are in the discard, and balanced by the gift. Those times are few; but you can put a Workshop gain in the discard first with this...if they haven't got a good discard pile. That would be too big a gift for a mere Workshop for those fortunate enough to benefit from it. I'm not feeling too convinced here either.

CarlineStraightforward draw with a few twists. Without other Curse gaining, it gives the player a Curse if an odd number of them are played, the Curse going to hand also further increasing hand size so some discard-for-benefit combos are helped a bit further; or Ambassador and Masquerade passing the Curse on. With other Curse gaining, it heals quite well but doesn’t progress the Curse pile towards emptying so Witch has an everlasting battle with this.

It should be balanced, but is it interesting? There are a few fun interactions. Without those, an even number played is just pure vanilla draw, and whilst lining them up together is the skill, with large amounts of draw it should be quite easy. In a no Village game where only one can be played per turn, it’s viable for a money strategy, and it will need to find the Curses it gets on later turns so it can lose them; that could be quite chance based, nice when it works, not when it doesn’t.

So overall, it’s...quite nice.

Shortlist: Orphan line, Aristocrat, Treadwheel Crane, Archaeologist, Cascade, Worker, Forbidden City, Dissatisfied Worker line, Magic Shop, Dangerous Ground.

After eliminating the shaky ones balance wise, then sorting the rest out by interest level, I conclude:

Runners-up: Aristocrat by segura, Cascade by mandioca15

Winner: Forbidden City by spheremonk

All three of these designs simply work. My final decision was whether I preferred the non-interactive deck strategy in Aristocrat, or the interactive Forbidden City. And Forbidden City felt more fun and interesting in more situations. So we have a new winner! On to the century!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 05:43:52 pm by Aquila »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1679
    • View Profile
« Reply #7997 on: December 30, 2020, 01:41:53 am »
+2

Cool. I completely agree with Aquila because Forbidden City was my favorite entry this week followed by Aristocrat.

Since we're starting a new year, it seems like a good time to start a new thread for the weekly contests to make it slightly easier to find cards from past contests rather than having a neverending thread. Anyone else agree?

Freddy10

• Thief
  • Respect: +153
    • View Profile
« Reply #7998 on: December 30, 2020, 08:27:59 am »
+3

Maybe moving to a child board, and making shorter threads?
Who trashes the trashers?

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1353
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #7999 on: December 30, 2020, 08:52:24 am »
+2

a new thread per contest would be kinda nice, yeah.
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 21 queries.