Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547140 times)

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #7800 on: December 13, 2020, 12:30:12 pm »
+2

A card im considering submiting for this contest, im probably submiting another one. this one is obviously "nocturne" themed

Shouldn't it be an action card from their hand? (Or an "Action, treasure, or night" card). Playing a victory card doesn't work.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #7801 on: December 13, 2020, 12:41:21 pm »
+1

Way of the Vermin
Way
Trash this.
If there wasn't a copy of this in the Trash, gain a Spoils.
Each other player gains a Ruins.

A Way for Dark Ages. It is a self trashing conditional Spoils gainer that hands out Ruins, like a one-shot Marauder. I am not sure how good of an idea this is as it definitely can snow-ball, but seeing as it is a counter to itself it won't devolve into a slog straight away. Villages will be highly sought after as using the Way will eat up Actions. I think of this as more of a tactical Way as you want to be the first to trash a particular card to get the Spoils reward, but handing a Ruins to other players means they will get the Spoils from that card and send Ruins back your way. I would want to play test it to see if it is actually fun, but I like the idea. Feedback is more than welcome!

I love Ways and I think this is a nice idea.  It could allow for some interesting tactical decisions.  However, I think the part I would personally enjoy less is the extra layer of randomness that arises from it.  If you're unlucky, when someone plays this Way, you could gain a Ruins that is already in the trash whereas someone else could gain one that isn't.  Or you could be lucky and be the first to draw a Ruins that isn't in the trash.  The benefit isn't huge, but if it happens often enough in a game, that could have a significant impact on the outcome.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #7802 on: December 13, 2020, 12:53:04 pm »

Way of the Vermin
Way
Trash this.

A Way for Dark Ages. It is a self trashing conditional Spoils gainer that hands out Ruins, like a one-shot Marauder. I am not sure how good of an idea this is as it definitely can snow-ball, but seeing as it is a counter to itself it won't devolve into a slog straight away. Villages will be highly sought after as using the Way will eat up Actions. I think of this as more of a tactical Way as you want to be the first to trash a particular card to get the Spoils reward, but handing a Ruins to other players means they will get the Spoils from that card and send Ruins back your way. I would want to play test it to see if it is actually fun, but I like the idea. Feedback is more than welcome!

I love Ways and I think this is a nice idea.  It could allow for some interesting tactical decisions.  However, I think the part I would personally enjoy less is the extra layer of randomness that arises from it.  If you're unlucky, when someone plays this Way, you could gain a Ruins that is already in the trash whereas someone else could gain one that isn't.  Or you could be lucky and be the first to draw a Ruins that isn't in the trash.  The benefit isn't huge, but if it happens often enough in a game, that could have a significant impact on the outcome.

I agree completely, and this randomness has been a consistent issue when I have used Ruins in card designs. I really like Ruins, but I do understand their randomness is unwanted by some players. I am gonna stick with this design for now, but the critique that it has randomness is valid and appreciated. I welcome additional criticisms and appreciate the responses!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #7803 on: December 13, 2020, 01:20:38 pm »
+1

The connection to Cornucopia isn't super strong, but it's engine-friendly, which is arguably a subtheme.

Note that this doesn't give you your buy back, so even though it costs 0$, it's not really free.

Edit: as requested, I made a new post for the updated version.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 04:45:29 am by silverspawn »

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #7804 on: December 13, 2020, 01:57:42 pm »
+1

Consulate: a project for empires. It was originally just provinces, but I think adding colonies, farmland, and fairgrounds makes it a bit more interesting.

Hail Satan, hail yourself!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7805 on: December 13, 2020, 02:01:30 pm »

^Missing the "project" label

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #7806 on: December 13, 2020, 02:13:11 pm »

^Missing the "project" label
oop thanks. I'll put that when I'll update the card
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #7807 on: December 13, 2020, 02:40:46 pm »

Consulate: a project for empires. It was originally just provinces, but I think adding colonies, farmland, and fairgrounds makes it a bit more interesting.

Out of curiosity, how did you determine the cost for Consulate? 

I was thinking about a two-player Province game, where one player buys Consulate and the other doesn't.  Assuming they buy Provinces only and no Duchies, the player who bought Consulate wins if they have an equal number of Provinces.  But in scenarios where they have even one less Province than the player that didn't buy Consulate, the extra points gained with Consulate won't be sufficient to make up the difference.

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #7808 on: December 13, 2020, 03:22:24 pm »
+6

A Way for Seaside. A card jumps like a Doplhin out of your deck and goes to your next hand.

It interacts with Seaside in many ways: thematically, affecting next turn, giving the played actions Duration effect and caring about the top of your deck. This last feature interacs with Pearl Diver, Lookout, Navigator and Ghost Ship. It also could help you to match Treasure Maps or a Province with Explorer.

The effect next turn is similar to Caravan but a bit weaker. With Caravan you can draw next turn a card played or gained this turn. It's also, as segura pointed in comments, a Haven variant without choice.

I think it's ok to a Way to not be too strong as an existing Action card. In fact it seems that they are meant to not be too powerful , since any Action card can play them at any situation. The existing Ways are also not so strong themselves, they are powerful mainly for their availability.  Way of the Pig, for instance, does  less than any Cantrip.

Edited to add Seaside icon to the image and more comments.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 01:44:32 am by Carline »

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #7809 on: December 13, 2020, 03:41:33 pm »
+2

A card im considering submiting for this contest, im probably submiting another one. this one is obviously "nocturne" themed

Shouldn't it be an action card from their hand? (Or an "Action, treasure, or night" card). Playing a victory card doesn't work.

oops, thats right. i updated it

also, just a whole bunch of Ways for every expansion i could think of, its fun to make up ways. Ill decide what to submit later

obviously im not submitting all of these, but i wanted to share regardless. couldnt come up with a good one for empires and alchemy tho. it was pretty fun finding good art online for these.

Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7810 on: December 13, 2020, 03:44:48 pm »

The connection to Cornucopia isn't super strong, but it's engine-friendly, which is arguably a subtheme.

Note that this doesn't give you your buy back, so even though it costs 0$, it's not really free.

I kinda like this. maybe this change would improve its connection. the +1 per action card feels a bit stiff too me. "once per game: +1 action, +1card and +1€ per card with a different name you have in play. return to your action phase."

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7811 on: December 13, 2020, 03:47:01 pm »
+1

A Way for Seaside. A card jumps like a Doplhin out of your deck and goes to your next hand.

It interacts with Seaside in many ways: thematically, affecting next turn, turning the played actions into Durations and caring about the top of your deck. This last feature interacs with Pearl Diver, Lookout, Navigator and Ghost Ship. It also could help you to match Treasure Maps or a Province with Explorer.

The effect next turn is similar to Caravan but a bit weaker. With Caravan you can draw next turn a card played this turn.

Dang i really like this. feels way better than my seaside way idea, lol. Its quasi-thinner if you plan well too, i love quasi-thinning.

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7812 on: December 13, 2020, 03:49:22 pm »
+1

Out of curiosity, how did you determine the cost for Consulate? 

I was thinking about a two-player Province game, where one player buys Consulate and the other doesn't.  Assuming they buy Provinces only and no Duchies, the player who bought Consulate wins if they have an equal number of Provinces.  But in scenarios where they have even one less Province than the player that didn't buy Consulate, the extra points gained with Consulate won't be sufficient to make up the difference.

I feel like i would like this more in Adventures, and have the cost be much lower (say, 3€) and instead give you a range of negative penalties via Tokens like the minus card token and the -coin token. it would have to be renamed tho

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #7813 on: December 13, 2020, 04:04:20 pm »
+3

It interacts with Seaside in many ways: thematically, affecting next turn, turning the played actions into Durations and caring about the top of your deck. This last feature interacs with Pearl Diver, Lookout, Navigator and Ghost Ship. It also could help you to match Treasure Maps or a Province with Explorer.

The effect next turn is similar to Caravan but a bit weaker. With Caravan you can draw next turn a card played this turn.

Edited to add Seaside icon to the image.
It is actually a Haven variant.
Worse than Haven as Haven allows you to choose out of your entire hand what to set aside.
Better than Haven as it is not kept in play until the next turn.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7814 on: December 13, 2020, 04:09:30 pm »
+1

Edited to add Seaside icon to the image.
It is actually a Haven variant.
Worse than Haven as Haven allows you to choose out of your entire hand what to set aside.
Better than Haven as it is not kept in play until the next turn.

Yes, thank you. Added this information to original post.

I think, according to the FAQ to Way of the Mouse, that the action played have to stay in play next turn. Anyway, I think it's ok to a Way to be no too strong, as any Action card can play it at any situation. The existing Ways are also not so powerful themselves, they are powerful mainly for their availability. Way of the Pig, for instance, is worse than any Cantrip.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 01:46:17 am by Carline »

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7815 on: December 13, 2020, 04:15:46 pm »

Way of the Vermin
Way
Trash this.

I agree completely, and this randomness has been a consistent issue when I have used Ruins in card designs. I really like Ruins, but I do understand their randomness is unwanted by some players. I am gonna stick with this design for now, but the critique that it has randomness is valid and appreciated. I welcome additional criticisms and appreciate the responses!

To mitigate the randomness, maybe add "if there is a copy of this in the trash, +1 action" so its a non terminal self trasher.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7816 on: December 13, 2020, 04:34:51 pm »

I kinda like this. maybe this change would improve its connection. the +1 per action card feels a bit stiff too me. "once per game: +1 action, +1card and +1€ per card with a different name you have in play. return to your action phase."

That would be very different, though. As-is, the effect just says 'you have infinite actions for one turn', which was the idea.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7817 on: December 13, 2020, 04:51:12 pm »

That would be very different, though. As-is, the effect just says 'you have infinite actions for one turn', which was the idea.

The original idea is cool. I think, as it is once per game, maybe it could replace the Buy you spend to buy it (and be really free). Otherwise, if the Kingdom doesn't have a source of +Buy, you could not get the best of your super Action turn.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7818 on: December 13, 2020, 05:26:00 pm »
+1

The original idea is cool. I think, as it is once per game, maybe it could replace the Buy you spend to buy it (and be really free). Otherwise, if the Kingdom doesn't have a source of +Buy, you could not get the best of your super Action turn.

I was going to do that initially, then decided not to, but rn I'm more leaning toward adding it in again. It's true that not having a buy makes it dead in many kingdoms.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #7819 on: December 13, 2020, 09:52:57 pm »

maybe a stupid question, but are we supposed to design an event or card for any artifacts or states we make? ie, "here the way to get the artifact/state"

Yes, please. Otherwise I don’t know how it is used.

My apologies everyone. Clearly I did not make this contest very clear! In my head I considered this to be a clear and interesting contest—perhaps it is not so. In any case I very much look forward to seeing the creative submissions everyone comes up with.

For Dominion.  There is no "2nd player" without this, but this lets you gain the most vps even if you have 0% chance of winning.

To clarify, is a league point in the context of the online dominion league where whoever has the most points goes up a bracket (or wins if in the top bracket)?

No in the context of offline dominion leagues, like Waseda Tournament in 2014, where whoever has the most points goes up a bracket.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7820 on: December 14, 2020, 04:44:02 am »
+4

Updated Submission:

Now, you can decide to activate it after being out of actions, and it gives you back your buy. In effect, you now just have one turn with infinite actions, no strings attached.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #7821 on: December 14, 2020, 09:55:12 am »
+5

For intrigue

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7822 on: December 14, 2020, 10:18:02 am »

For intrigue

at first glance i didnt like it, but now when i think about it, i actually like it. it created an incentive to get way more estates, and makes provines less important, since estates are 150% more points with empire, but provinces are just 25% more points with empire. its really simple, but it changes the game.

Im not sure i like the name though for it. Maybe "realm" or "commonwealth" or "confederation"?

also, the intrugue expansion symbol is missing.

---
heres the math i did on how much more points you get from this being a landmark
3 estates obviously 9 points here
8 estates goes from 8 to 24 points    (an extra 16 points, 150% increase)
8 duchies goes from 24 to 40 VP       (66% increase)
8 provinces goes from 48 VP to 64 Vp (33% increase)
it also makes mills and other action-victory cards much more valuable. good job

Rhodos

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: Card Master
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7823 on: December 14, 2020, 10:19:26 am »
+1

Updated Submission:

You could put the first "+1 Action" right in front of the "+1 Buy".

BBobb

• Moneylender
  • My brother says thief is amazing.
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #7824 on: December 14, 2020, 11:14:04 am »
+2

For intrigue

I feel like this is really redundant with Battlefield
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 21 queries.