Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546705 times)

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #7700 on: December 05, 2020, 12:22:16 pm »
+1

Conscription - Event, $1 cost.
Once per game: +1 Buy, and choose one: discard your hand, +1 Villager per card discarded; or turn all your Villagers into Coffers.
Here the token conversion can't always work, so there's an option to always be able to get Villagers. I first designed this as a one-shot Event, so you build up your hand size or Villagers then time your use; but it could easily be changed to multi use if that's more interesting.
And is the 'turn into' wording fine?

Heist Map
Treasure - $3
+$2, +<1>, +1 Buy
You may trash this to pay all of your <_>. +1 Coffers per <_> you paid.
So you can play a chain of these then trash the last one to turn them all into super Golds, otherwise they're coppers with +buy. That's nice by itself, but of course it could be crazy with the other big debt cards (everyone wants 40 debt mountain pass so first province buyer wins; capital becomes $6 +6 coffers later), especially with the +buy making them easier to get.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #7701 on: December 05, 2020, 02:07:03 pm »

Cadet • $3 • Action
+1 Coffers
+1 Buy
This turn, when you buy a card, you may place it on your Caravel mat.

You may pay 3 Coffers to gain a Bosun and take @5.
Bosun • $6* • Action - Command
+3 Coffers

You may take @ up to the number of cards on your Caravel mat. For each @1 taken, play an Action or Treasure card on your Caravel mat, leaving it there.

(This is not in the Supply)

the last line on Cadet is phrased weird because i wanted to avoid the keyword "exchange". Otherwise, this is a coffers/debt-centric take on the exile mat (Caravel mat here) and Kudasai's "Army" mechanic. You can play the same card from your Caravel mat multiple times with Bosun, provided you have enough "other" stuff there to take extra debt for the extra plays.
Bosun has 10 cards in its pile and is non-supply. The Caravel mat, like other cards-go-on-these mats, holds cards that are part of your deck, but aren't shuffled in. There's no mechanism for removal from the Caravel mat.

... should cadet cost $4 because of the opening? I feel like it's a slowish card already
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 02:17:21 pm by spineflu »

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #7702 on: December 05, 2020, 04:05:51 pm »
+2

Turn this into a stronger Market at the cost of 1. Use the extra Buy to gain multiple Settlements to replenish your tokens reserve.

This and Goons together were always meant to be.

Edit: Applied a slight nerf. Used to cost , now it's been bumped up to .
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 05:08:55 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #7703 on: December 05, 2020, 04:34:07 pm »
+1

This looks too good. Even if you don't convert, it is like a Double Great Hall.

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #7704 on: December 05, 2020, 05:51:51 pm »
+3

This contest made me remember this old MTG card:

So, here is my entry, converting points to resources:

(i don't know why card generator doesn't put bold font in the "+1" before Victory symbol)

Faithful • Action

+1 Card
+1
You may convert any Tokens you have into Coffers or Villagers.

Note: I posted my own first fan expansion, Dominion:Venus, all with female characters. I'll be very happy if you, who always help me here to improve my cards, would take a look at it and give me some feedback.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20585.0

Thank you very much!

Edited: new name and art to fit my Venus expansion.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 01:02:46 am by Carline »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #7705 on: December 06, 2020, 12:47:45 am »

(i don't know why card generator doesn't put bold font in the "+1" before Victory symbol)

I assume your code for the +1 is "+1 %." It'll bold the +1 and have a reasonable size for the if you use "+1% ".
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #7706 on: December 06, 2020, 02:09:44 am »
+3

Shoemaker | Action | $2
+1 Card
+1 Coffers
You may discard a card from your hand to exchange any number of Coffers for Villagers.
-
Setup: Each player gets +1 Villagers

Rule Clarification: This only allows you to exchange Coffers for Villagers. You cannot go the other way around. You only need to discard a card once. So if you had 2 Coffers, you play this, now you have 3 Coffers. You can discard a card and lose 1-3 Coffers to gain 1-3 Villagers.

This is an attempt to make a terminal +1 card work. If you really want want to play that action you just drew, you can discard a card and exchange that Coffer you just gained to get a Villager. Which essentially makes the card +1 Card +1 Action, discard a card. That is very weak. The card is a lot more powerful if you take advantage of using the Coffers, or if you gained Villagers from a previous turn. This idea on how to use the card best is subtly given to the players through the setup of everyone starting with 1 villager. The first time you play Shoemaker, you will probably never exchange.

It's a weak card -- it's a 2. But still, games with Shoemaker are a little different since everyone starts with an extra villager. You can fearlessly open double terminal in games with Shoemaker and not worry about them colliding.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 02:12:33 am by anordinaryman »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #7707 on: December 06, 2020, 06:01:57 am »
+7

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #7708 on: December 06, 2020, 07:01:46 am »
+2

My submission:

Hostage
$4 – Action

+3 Cards
You may remove a token from
your Coffers for +1 Villager.

Return this to the Supply.
---------------------------
     When you gain this, +2 Coffers.     

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #7709 on: December 06, 2020, 03:12:37 pm »
+3

Leased Land - $3
Victory
1VP
-
When you gain this, you may pay up to 3 Coffers for +1VP for each Coffer paid.
(Heirloom: Work Order)
Work Order - $2
Treasure - Heirloom
$1
You may discard 1 Treasure card to take 1 Debt and +1 Coffers.

A victory card that allows you to get additional VP tokens when you gain it at the cost of Coffers. Scales pretty well up to a cost of $6 for 4vp. The heirloom allows you to get Coffers at a generous rate and has a built in remodel effect. The remodel effect was designed to not be a copper trashing effect. To remodel you do need to use a Coffer, and you do get a Debt. That may be excessive so I am thinking of changing that particular exchange. Not sure if everything is at a reasonable power level. Please criticize and give feedback!

Edit: Big change to Work Order thanks to Feedback from gambit05. No longer dumps Coffers on you and lost the remodel effect. The combination now is pretty vanilla with nothing too exciting happening. Will contemplate if I want to replace this entry.

Edit 2: Nerfed the Coffer gain a bit more on Work Order.

Edit 3: Decided to change Work Order again. Early game it still functions the same with it being a 2 to 1 conversion rate to get a Coffer. Now it should be appealing more often later in the game. It is still the worst source of Coffers in the game, so it being an Heirloom should be reasonable.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 09:31:37 pm by Xen3k »

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7710 on: December 06, 2020, 03:34:35 pm »
+2

Leased Land - $3
Victory
1%
-
When you gain this, you may pay up to 3 Coffers for +1% for each Coffer paid.
Work Order - $4
Treasure - Heirloom
Choose one: Discard a Treasure card for +2 Coffers; or exchange 1 Coffer for 1 @ to trash a card you have in play or in your hand. Gain a differently named card costing up to $1 more than it.

A victory card that allows you to get additional VP tokens when you gain it at the cost of Coffers. Scales pretty well up to a cost of $6 for 4vp. The heirloom allows you to get Coffers at a generous rate and has a built in remodel effect. The remodel effect was designed to not be a copper trashing effect. To remodel you do need to use a Coffer, and you do get a Debt. That may be excessive so I am thinking of changing that particular exchange. Not sure if everything is at a reasonable power level. Please criticize and give feedback!

For my taste too much is going on. It is too easy to get Coffers with Work order. I would skip the Remodel part. Work Order doesn't look like a Treasure at all.

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #7711 on: December 06, 2020, 03:41:46 pm »

Leased Land - $3
Victory
1%
-
Work Order - $4
Treasure - Heirloom
Choose one: Discard a Treasure card for +2 Coffers; or exchange 1 Coffer for 1 @ to trash a card you have in play or in your hand. Gain a differently named card costing up to $1 more than it.

For my taste too much is going on. It is too easy to get Coffers with Work order. I would skip the Remodel part. Work Order doesn't look like a Treasure at all.

I was worried the Coffer gain was too generous, but I figured it would be balanced with everyone having it as a Heirloom. I could change it to have an option to discard a Treasure to gain a Coffer.

Getting rid of the remodel effect seems reasonable. I Kinda wanted a way to exchange estates for Leased Lands and getting rid of Leased Lands, but it being too busy is a good criticism.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7712 on: December 06, 2020, 03:52:38 pm »

Leased Land - $3
Victory
1%
-
Work Order - $4
Treasure - Heirloom

I was worried the Coffer gain was too generous, but I figured it would be balanced with everyone having it as a Heirloom. I could change it to have an option to discard a Treasure to gain a Coffer.

Getting rid of the remodel effect seems reasonable. I Kinda wanted a way to exchange estates for Leased Lands and getting rid of Leased Lands, but it being too busy is a good criticism.

One problem with Working Order is that you already have it in your starting deck together with all the Coppers. So, without any effort you generate a lot of Coffers, can still buy the same stuff or even more expensive cards. Then you buy Leased Land, convert all the Coffers to VP, remodel Leased Land and all that is basically guaranteed in every possible Kingdom.

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #7713 on: December 06, 2020, 04:00:47 pm »

Leased Land - $3
Victory
1%
-
Work Order - $4
Treasure - Heirloom

One problem with Working Order is that you already have it in your starting deck together with all the Coppers. So, without any effort you generate a lot of Coffers, can still buy the same stuff or even more expensive cards. Then you buy Leased Land, convert all the Coffers to VP, remodel Leased Land and all that is basically guaranteed in every possible Kingdom.

Good point. Hmm, I could make it trash the treasure to gain the Coffer. That would make it an effective Copper trasher, but would put a terminal point where you either need to buy more copper to fuel it or you can't produce more coffers with it. That could be a problem as it would promote a small deck from turn 1.

The other option would be to make the exchange rate worse. So make it so you have to discard 2 treasure for 1 Coffer. This would slow down the player that pursues the Leased Land strategy, but I am concerned that would make both cards unimpactful to the game as every other strategy is superior.

Thanks for the feedback.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7714 on: December 06, 2020, 04:12:10 pm »
+1

Leased Land - $3
Victory
1%
-
Work Order - $4
Treasure - Heirloom

Good point. Hmm, I could make it trash the treasure to gain the Coffer. That would make it an effective Copper trasher, but would put a terminal point where you either need to buy more copper to fuel it or you can't produce more coffers with it. That could be a problem as it would promote a small deck from turn 1.

The other option would be to make the exchange rate worse. So make it so you have to discard 2 treasure for 1 Coffer. This would slow down the player that pursues the Leased Land strategy, but I am concerned that would make both cards unimpactful to the game as every other strategy is superior.

Thanks for the feedback.

Both options look better than the current version. For the second option: Don't forget that the players already have Work Order in their deck. To discard a Copper for +1 Coffers it at worst no change in buying power, but has the potential of more. I also don't think that a $3 cost Victory card with the potential to create VP has no impact.

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #7715 on: December 06, 2020, 04:32:23 pm »
+1

Leased Land - $3
Victory
1%
-
Work Order - $4
Treasure - Heirloom

Thanks for the feedback.

Both options look better than the current version. For the second option: Don't forget that the players already have Work Order in their deck. To discard a Copper for +1 Coffers it at worst no change in buying power, but has the potential of more. I also don't think that a $3 cost Victory card with the potential to create VP has no impact.

Yeah, good points. I have changed it to the Discard 2 treasures for 1 Coffer version as I never really approached this design with the intent to have it trash Coppers. Thanks for the feedback.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #7716 on: December 06, 2020, 06:43:26 pm »
+2

Good job on the critique and the fix; I agree that the new version is much better.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #7717 on: December 07, 2020, 12:07:03 am »

I initially set out to create a Project card that would allow you to modify the ability of cards to give you one type of token instead of another, but then decided it would be more fun as an Action card that could also be an Attack.

The idea here is a card that lets you swap Coffers for VP or vice versa if you want on your turn, but forces other players to do so until your next turn.  I thought about allowing the player who played Trickster to decide whether or not other players should exchange them, but I am concerned this would slow the game down (Edit: Decided to allow the player who played Trickster to decide what happens).  As a result, like Enchantress, this can actually be a fairly weak attack in many cases and could even be beneficial for other players.  It probably works best against cards like Swashbuckler or Butcher.

I really struggled with the wording.  I initially had two separate sentences explaining the effects on your turn and on other players' turns, but there was too much text.  I'm open to any feedback on how to word this better.

EDIT: Revised submission:
I've decided to make a Split pile with Trickster and Fool's Wager.

The wording for Trickster has been simplified, the ability upgraded to provide +2 Coffers instead of +1, and he cost revised to $4. 
Fool's Wager has been revised substantially.  It's no longer an Heirloom, but at the bottom of the split pile.

The problem I was having with Trickster is that the attack is rather weak. Generally speaking, 1 Coffers is probably less valuable than 1 VP.  One alternative would have been to tweak Trickster so that the exchange was not 1:1 or forcing other players to give up gained token.

What I've done instead is to try and make Coffers potentially more valuable, so that this makes you think a bit harder about choosing between VP and Coffers.  That's the rationale behind the new Fool's Wager.  If you have no Coffers, it becomes worthless in your deck. 
If you discard 1 Coffer, it essentially becomes a Copper for that turn.  If you discard 2, it becomes equivalent to a Silver.  Not bad, but probably not worth the effort either.
The real benefit comes from stacking them, so that if you have enough Coffers to discard and play two Fool's Wagers, you would net $8 ($4 from the first FW and $8 from the second FW minus 4 Coffers).  If other players let you buy up all five Fool's Wagers, you could theoretically net $50 if you had a sufficient amount of Coffers and were able to draw all five of them in a single turn.  You don't get extra Buys with Fool's Wager though, so you probably don't want more than a couple in your deck, as tempting as it might be. It has a debt cost, so anyone could buy them.

It's far from perfect.  The balance is probably completely off.  It might be fun.  It needs playtesting.

Split Pile:

Rules clarification: You cannot exchange the Coffers gained by Trickster for a VP, unless you play another Trickster prior to it (or are affected by another player's Trickster).

Quote from: Version History
-->-->

« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 09:38:27 am by Timinou »

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7718 on: December 07, 2020, 03:02:58 am »
+2

I initially set out to create a Project card that would allow you to modify the ability of cards to give you one type of token instead of another, but then decided it would be more fun as an Action card that could also be an Attack.

The idea here is a card that lets you swap Coffers for VP or vice versa if you want on your turn, but forces other players to do so until your next turn.  I thought about allowing the player who played Trickster to decide whether or not other players should exchange them, but I am concerned this would slow the game down.  As a result, like Enchantress, this can actually be a fairly weak attack in many cases and could even be beneficial for other players.  It probably works best against cards like Swashbuckler or Butcher.

I really struggled with the wording.  I initially had two separate sentences explaining the effects on your turn and on other players' turns, but there was too much text.  I'm open to any feedback on how to word this better:

If I understand the instructions correctly, when other players gain an Action card and with this a Coffers (e.g. Silk Merchant) that they are forced to convert it to a VP token? That could be a good deal for them.
Anyway, more important is that this card is dead in most Kingdoms as there are too few cards that would trigger the effect.

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #7719 on: December 07, 2020, 12:26:07 pm »
+1

VS

Work Order (Current Version) - $2
Treasure - Heirloom
$1
You may discard 2 Treasure cards for +1 Coffers.
VS
Work Order (Alt Version) - $2
Treasure - Heirloom
$1

So I am thinking of changing Work Order again. See the current state of the cards here. The idea I had was that the effectiveness of Work Order to get you a Coffer here and there drastically goes down as you build up your deck as for the Coffer gain to be reasonable you would need Work Order plus two Coppers or Copper equivalents otherwise the conversion rate would be greater than $2=1 Coffer. The new version that involves Debt includes itself in the conversion so you just need one Copper in hand instead of two. I have not made this change yet, but would greatly appreciate criticisms of my thought process here.

Edit: I decided to change Work Order to the Alt Version on the right. Feedback would still be welcome.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 09:33:28 pm by Xen3k »

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #7720 on: December 07, 2020, 01:29:29 pm »
+1

You left the cost off of Work Order.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #7721 on: December 07, 2020, 01:30:42 pm »

The idea here is a card that lets you swap Coffers for VP or vice versa if you want on your turn, but forces other players to do so until your next turn.  I thought about allowing the player who played Trickster to decide whether or not other players should exchange them, but I am concerned this would slow the game down.  As a result, like Enchantress, this can actually be a fairly weak attack in many cases and could even be beneficial for other players.  It probably works best against cards like Swashbuckler or Butcher.

I really struggled with the wording.  I initially had two separate sentences explaining the effects on your turn and on other players' turns, but there was too much text.  I'm open to any feedback on how to word this better:

If I understand the instructions correctly, when other players gain an Action card and with this a Coffers (e.g. Silk Merchant) that they are forced to convert it to a VP token? That could be a good deal for them.
Yes, exactly...and I realize that makes Trickster rather weak as an attack relative to Enchantress.     

Anyway, more important is that this card is dead in most Kingdoms as there are too few cards that would trigger the effect.

That's a great point and I agree that it's definitely an issue with the original version.  My attempted fix for this is to give Trickster an Heirloom.  It's not the most elegant solution, but I didn't want to go back to the drawing board and come up with a new submission.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7722 on: December 07, 2020, 01:31:46 pm »
+1

VS

Work Order (Current Version) - $4
Treasure - Heirloom
$1
You may discard 2 Treasure cards for +1 Coffers.
VS
Work Order (Alt Version) - $4
Treasure - Heirloom
$1

So I am thinking of changing Work Order again. See the current state of the cards here. The idea I had was that the effectiveness of Work Order to get you a Coffer here and there drastically goes down as you build up your deck as for the Coffer gain to be reasonable you would need Work Order plus two Coppers or Copper equivalents otherwise the conversion rate would be greater than $2=1 Coffer. The new version that involves Debt includes itself in the conversion so you just need one Copper in hand instead of two. I have not made this change yet, but would greatly appreciate criticisms of my thought process here.

Yesterday, after you changed your original version to the version on the left, I first wanted to reply another time to congratulate you for the improvement and even wanted to tell you why that version is not only simpler and more balanced but also much more interesting. Then I thought, well let it as it is without further comments. But now here you have some of my thoughts about the version on the left:

In my opinion this opens a lot of different strategies and decisions depending on the presence of other cards in the Kingdom:

1) Do you have a strong trasher available? And if yes, is it okay to keep a few Treasures around or better not?
2) With Scenario 1) in mind, this further depends on other cards available. How fast and how strong is an engine?
3) Most of the time, players would not go for the discard option in the opening turns, as they could then buy only cards with lower costs. However, there are strong $2 cost cards (e.g. Page and Peasant), and in this way Working Order can discard Treasures without loosing buying power and thus gain the precious Coffers.
4) Now, a lot of times Leased Land will not be gained early in the game, because it is not easy to get the real benefit from it. But later, players may have saved some Coffers, greening is looming soon, and now Leased Land can become really interesting, for VP scoring, for 3-piling (also because of its cheap cost). With that in mind, players may find it a better option to spend the Coffers for something else, or they already have done it. Or maybe not!
5) Are there trash-for-benefit cards/Remodelers around? If yes, this again could change the attractiveness of investing in Leased Land.
In my opinion, the presence or absence of a lot of different (standard) cards already has a lot of impact on how to deal with Working Order and with Leased Land.

That is what I remember from yesterday.

Edit: 6) Just forgot the impact of other cards that produce Coffers.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 03:34:12 pm by gambit05 »

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #7723 on: December 07, 2020, 02:29:45 pm »

I assume your code for the +1 is "+1 %." It'll bold the +1 and have a reasonable size for the if you use "+1% ".
Also, a terminal action should never have +1 Card as it is a very awkward bonus to give unless you are also giving actions. Maybe try +1 Buy instead?
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
« Reply #7724 on: December 07, 2020, 02:47:39 pm »
+3

Also, a terminal action should never have +1 Card as it is a very awkward bonus to give unless you are also giving actions. Maybe try +1 Buy instead?

It does give actions, in the form of villagers. At worst this is a cantrip.
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 21 queries.