Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547079 times)

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #7650 on: November 25, 2020, 01:52:16 am »
+1

Name: Spellbook
Cost: $2
Types: Night
Trash two non-Duration Action cards you have in play with the same name. If you did, move your +1 card, +1 action, +1 buy, +$1, trashing, or -$2 cost token to their pile.

I like this concept a lot. (Lose a copy of a card to power up other copies) I've done design around setting the card aside so it can never be re-gained from the trash. I do like this implementation where you get to trash in play after playing it once. However, I think that the "trash 2" is an incredibly steep penalty. It only makes sense to put this on a card that is easy to get copies of, or you want copies of it even before it is powered up. In both of these cases, a competent opponent will be easily able to gain copies of the card. If you split the pile evenly, you're stuck to only 3 copies, rendering it not strong enough to be worthwhile likely. If you happen to win the split 6/4, then you get 4 powered-up copies, and your opponent effectively is locked-out of that card (2 powered up is not that strong). This turns the game into a sort of un-fun who happens to get the right number copies of that card.
The trash two also effectively means you really never play this twice on the same card (unless you are doing the absolutely bonkers fortress combo with this).

I recommend upping the price of this card, and having it only trash 1 copy in play. This makes the splits less essential. I also think you could do the Teacher "you have no tokens on" and it would improve this version.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #7651 on: November 25, 2020, 05:51:13 am »
+1

Quote from: gambit05
Reanimate
$4 - Action
Trash a non-Duration
Action card you have in
         play, for +1 Action and +$2.         

For the rest of this turn,
when you trash an Action
card, Exile it.

Quote from: Carline
Except for some Actions you don't need anymore after some time (Chapel, Moneylender, Spice Merchant, etc.), I think trash an Action card is more a cost than a bonus. As you already spent an Action to play Reanimate, what you get by trashing an Action card is and  transform other Action cards trashed this turn in a kind of pseudo-Fortress (which have to be released from exile). To chain many Reanimates exiling all but the last, gaining for each, doesn't seem to be so much better than play a serie of Stockpiles and has the same limitation, it can't be done anymore when pile is out. In some situations (like TFBs) the pseudo-Fortress feature would shine, but I think many times you wouldn't use it and would end up trashing an Action card to get only a non-activated Mystic playing, which could be a bit weak.

Reanimate has other limitation: If kingdom doesn't have Villages, it can't trash terminals. (edit: after post this, I saw that others cards of this contest that trashes actions in action phase and aren't villages themselves have the same limitation, so maybe it's not a problem).

I wanted to have a card with the following features: 1) make (other) Action cards one-shots (“trashing” effect) and 2) make Action cards subsequently “immune” to trashing (“recovery” effect). You have correctly pointed out these features. That the “trashing” effect is often a drawback was on purpose with the intention that the subsequent “recovery” effect provides the real benefits. In this context, please note that Reanimate can also trash itself as a last resort.

Before I presented the current version of Reanimate I had a “myriad” of precursors. Some of the differences were a) giving +2 Actions (instead of +1 Action), b) being a Remodel variant for the “trashing” effect, c) put the subsequently trashed cards into the discard (instead of Exiling them) as “recovery” effect.

Going through all those versions I encountered various problems until I ended up with the current version. As you have analysed this in great detail, it could well be that when I addressed those issues that I finally ended up with a version that is too weak or too “niche”. With a refreshed look at it, thanks to your input, I may just change the “recovery” effect back to a “discard” effect instead of “Exile it”. In fact, I have figured out a new way now to avoid the “devastating” effect of Exiling the cards and a potentially overpowered “immediate discard them”, by temporarily setting the trashed cards aside:

Reanimate
$4 - Action

Trash a non-Duration Action
card you have in play, for
+2 Actions and +$2.

For the rest of this turn, when     
you trash an Action card, set
it aside and discard it at the
start of Clean-up.

Edit: I gave +2 Actions upon trashing instead of +1 Action. With just +1 Action as bonus, a line up with other cards is relatively difficult as there is no card drawing included in the trashing benefit.

How does this look?
My rational behind this:
A Kingdom without any support for Reanimate should be fairly rare. Nevertheless, a Reanimate self-combo with two copies of it is still fairly easy. This would resemble a non-terminal +$4 one-shot, which doesn’t look too bad.

A Village variant, which should be present in a lot of Kingdoms, would already enable quite beneficial combos, e.g. with Smithies.

Edit: Not relevant anymore with +2 Actions instead of +1 Action.

The presence of Remodelers, of cards giving benefits when trashed themselves or of one of the few “Gravediggers” in a Kingdom would let Reanimate really shine. Most potential craziness is avoided by the “set-aside” clause. This feature was the important part that I missed when coming up with the version of Reanimate I presented.

Thank you very much for your thoughtful analysis. I appreciate it very much!

« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 09:12:33 am by gambit05 »

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #7652 on: November 25, 2020, 05:14:07 pm »
+1

Quote from: gambit05
Reanimate
$4 - Action
Trash a non-Duration
Action card you have in
         play, for +1 Action and +$2.         

For the rest of this turn,
when you trash an Action
card, Exile it.

Quote from: Carline
Except for some Actions you don't need anymore after some time (Chapel, Moneylender, Spice Merchant, etc.), I think trash an Action card is more a cost than a bonus. As you already spent an Action to play Reanimate, what you get by trashing an Action card is and  transform other Action cards trashed this turn in a kind of pseudo-Fortress (which have to be released from exile). To chain many Reanimates exiling all but the last, gaining for each, doesn't seem to be so much better than play a serie of Stockpiles and has the same limitation, it can't be done anymore when pile is out. In some situations (like TFBs) the pseudo-Fortress feature would shine, but I think many times you wouldn't use it and would end up trashing an Action card to get only a non-activated Mystic playing, which could be a bit weak.

Reanimate has other limitation: If kingdom doesn't have Villages, it can't trash terminals. (edit: after post this, I saw that others cards of this contest that trashes actions in action phase and aren't villages themselves have the same limitation, so maybe it's not a problem).

I wanted to have a card with the following features: 1) make (other) Action cards one-shots (“trashing” effect) and 2) make Action cards subsequently “immune” to trashing (“recovery” effect). You have correctly pointed out these features. That the “trashing” effect is often a drawback was on purpose with the intention that the subsequent “recovery” effect provides the real benefits. In this context, please note that Reanimate can also trash itself as a last resort.

Before I presented the current version of Reanimate I had a “myriad” of precursors. Some of the differences were a) giving +2 Actions (instead of +1 Action), b) being a Remodel variant for the “trashing” effect, c) put the subsequently trashed cards into the discard (instead of Exiling them) as “recovery” effect.

Going through all those versions I encountered various problems until I ended up with the current version. As you have analysed this in great detail, it could well be that when I addressed those issues that I finally ended up with a version that is too weak or too “niche”. With a refreshed look at it, thanks to your input, I may just change the “recovery” effect back to a “discard” effect instead of “Exile it”. In fact, I have figured out a new way now to avoid the “devastating” effect of Exiling the cards and a potentially overpowered “immediate discard them”, by temporarily setting the trashed cards aside:

Reanimate
$4 - Action

Trash a non-Duration Action
card you have in play, for
+2 Actions and +$2.

For the rest of this turn, when     
you trash an Action card, set
it aside and discard it at the
start of Clean-up.

Edit: I gave +2 Actions upon trashing instead of +1 Action. With just +1 Action as bonus, a line up with other cards is relatively difficult as there is no card drawing included in the trashing benefit.

How does this look?
My rational behind this:
A Kingdom without any support for Reanimate should be fairly rare. Nevertheless, a Reanimate self-combo with two copies of it is still fairly easy. This would resemble a non-terminal +$4 one-shot, which doesn’t look too bad.

A Village variant, which should be present in a lot of Kingdoms, would already enable quite beneficial combos, e.g. with Smithies.

Edit: Not relevant anymore with +2 Actions instead of +1 Action.

The presence of Remodelers, of cards giving benefits when trashed themselves or of one of the few “Gravediggers” in a Kingdom would let Reanimate really shine. Most potential craziness is avoided by the “set-aside” clause. This feature was the important part that I missed when coming up with the version of Reanimate I presented.

Thank you very much for your thoughtful analysis. I appreciate it very much!

Thank you. I'm happy you liked my comments.

Yes, Reanimate is so much better with discarding than exiling. Set aside recovered actions is a wise solution to avoid them to go back to hand in the same turn. Give 2 actions is also very good, now it doesn't depends on other villages to be able to trash terminals.

TheAgileBeast

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7653 on: November 26, 2020, 02:26:47 am »
+7

Rejuvenate | Treasure | $2

$1

You may trash an Action card you have in play. If you do, +1 card, +1 action and, if it's your Buy phase, return to your Action phase.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 02:34:23 am by TheAgileBeast »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #7654 on: November 26, 2020, 04:15:07 am »

Question for everyone who designed Action cards that can trash arbitraty Action cards from play: does anyone not intend for the card targeting itself to be possible?

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #7655 on: November 26, 2020, 06:27:36 am »
+1

Rejuvenate | Treasure | $2

$1

You may trash an Action card you have in play. If you do, +1 card, +1 action and, if it's your Buy phase, return to your Action phase.
So either it is a Copper or a Bazaar (Villa/Villager style). I like it, it is likely best in explosive / megaturn-ish engines.

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #7656 on: November 26, 2020, 09:20:51 pm »
+2

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #7657 on: November 26, 2020, 10:11:59 pm »

Does it even need the +Buy? With something like fisherman, you can get a province a turn for 5 turns, and then you'd have to resort to something else.

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #7658 on: November 27, 2020, 01:05:56 am »

I wanted it to be viable as a Copper trasher as well as a Province gainer, and without the buy it compares super poorly to Bonfire.

I don't follow your Fisherman example; the trashed cards need to be differently-named, so you would need to trash Fisherman along with other cards costing $5 or more to get a Province-- if you can repeat that for 5 turns, you had a pretty good deck to begin with.

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #7659 on: November 27, 2020, 01:18:35 am »

I wanted it to be viable as a Copper trasher as well as a Province gainer, and without the buy it compares super poorly to Bonfire.

I don't follow your Fisherman example; the trashed cards need to be differently-named, so you would need to trash Fisherman along with other cards costing $5 or more to get a Province-- if you can repeat that for 5 turns, you had a pretty good deck to begin with.
I missed the differently named part, sorry

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7660 on: November 29, 2020, 05:07:03 pm »
+2

It's been a week, but I suspect many of you are celebrating this Thanksgiving thing, so I'll extend the deadline by a couple of days.

Stay healthy!

chronostrike

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #7661 on: November 29, 2020, 07:25:57 pm »
+2

This idea just popped into my head.

Silverfish $3
Night
Trash a card you have in hand or in play.  Gain a cheaper card.  If you can't, gain a Silverfish.

It's the Night version of Rats.  Notably, instead of drawing a card, you get a replacement.  Also, it can trash itself once no longer useful, though you better actually want that $2 card.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #7662 on: November 29, 2020, 09:40:30 pm »
+1

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #7663 on: November 29, 2020, 09:58:25 pm »
+2

No functional changes from the original post but i had a minute to do a quick watercolor for the card so here it is with art.

chronostrike

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7664 on: November 29, 2020, 10:41:57 pm »
+1

This is strictly better than Feast and by a lot.  I know Feast isn't completely relevant anymore, but it was removed for being boring, not weak.  This fixes why Feast is boring in a way that makes it much stronger, especially at a lower price.  I think it needs more restrictions.

It also compares very favorably to Improve.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #7665 on: November 29, 2020, 11:02:13 pm »
+1

My entry inspired by Royal Carriage:

« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 11:16:04 pm by Timinou »

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7666 on: November 29, 2020, 11:30:31 pm »

Silverfish $3
Night
Trash a card you have in hand or in play.  Gain a cheaper card.  If you can't, gain a Silverfish.

It's the Night version of Rats.  Notably, instead of drawing a card, you get a replacement.  Also, it can trash itself once no longer useful, though you better actually want that $2 card.

I think the cost should be lower.  It's not as useful for trashing Estates as other cards out there IMO. 

Also, if you don't have anything you want to trash, couldn't you choose not to play the card in order to avoid gaining another Silverfish?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 11:32:41 pm by Timinou »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #7667 on: November 30, 2020, 01:43:19 am »
+3

I play Chronicler. I replay Chronicler. I replay Chronicler. I replay Chronicler. Repeat 8 more times, for a total of 12 times. I trash the Chronicler, and since gaining Victories is contingent on playing, not trashing, I gain 12 Nobles.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7668 on: November 30, 2020, 03:49:52 am »

I gain 12 Nobles.

Are you playing a 3p game?

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #7669 on: November 30, 2020, 07:11:53 am »
+1

King's Tent
Types: Action, Reaction
Cost: $2
You may play an Action from your hand twice, and then when you would discard it, trash it or this.
When another player plays an Attack card, you may discard this. If you do, gain a copy of the Attack, putting it into your hand.
King's Tent is a one-shot Throne Room at $2.  It pops either the thing you played or itself.  You can also use its Reaction to gain a copy of another player's Attack.  A part of the idea being that King's Tent can tear up the commonly-terminal Attack cards that it gains.
It edges towards the "reflect Attack" concept, but since you have to gain the Attack card and spend the action to play it, it both pushes game piles and often risks your terminal density.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #7670 on: November 30, 2020, 07:51:03 am »
+1

This is strictly better than Feast and by a lot.  I know Feast isn't completely relevant anymore, but it was removed for being boring, not weak.  This fixes why Feast is boring in a way that makes it much stronger, especially at a lower price.  I think it needs more restrictions.

It also compares very favorably to Improve.

You're right, I'm removing it's ability to trash itself, which was actually totally unintentional.

I'm fine with it in comparison to Improve because it lacks a lot of Improve's flexibility and Improve gives you some economy early.

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7671 on: November 30, 2020, 08:51:48 am »

I play Chronicler. I replay Chronicler. I replay Chronicler. I replay Chronicler. Repeat 8 more times, for a total of 12 times. I trash the Chronicler, and since gaining Victories is contingent on playing, not trashing, I gain 12 Nobles.

Thanks.  The intent was not to be able to replay the Chronicler itself, so I've tweaked the wording on the card.  I'm not sure if this completely gets rid of the issue:

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #7672 on: November 30, 2020, 09:10:43 am »

Thanks.  The intent was not to be able to replay the Chronicler itself, so I've tweaked the wording on the card.  I'm not sure if this completely gets rid of the issue:

An easier fix would be to give Chronicler the Command type and let it only play non-Command actions.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #7673 on: November 30, 2020, 09:33:00 am »

An easier fix would be to give Chronicler the Command type and let it only play non-Command actions.

Isn't it even simpler if the other card is first replayed and then trashed? And the wording would better connect trashing with gaining the Victory card.

By the way, Timinou, welcome to the Forum!

chronostrike

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7674 on: November 30, 2020, 09:44:46 am »

Silverfish $3
Night

I think the cost should be lower.  It's not as useful for trashing Estates as other cards out there IMO. 

Also, if you don't have anything you want to trash, couldn't you choose not to play the card in order to avoid gaining another Silverfish?
Yes, but that clause is there for if you trash a Copper or Curse.

It is kind of a bad trasher early, but it actually becomes surprisingly dangerous late.  A hand of Gold, Gold, Silver, Silverfish, Silverfish can be worth twelve points if you suspect the game will end soon.
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 21 queries.