Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547032 times)

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #7625 on: November 24, 2020, 05:32:26 am »
+4

Hostile Village - Action, $4 cost.
+3 Cards
+2 Actions

Trash a card you have in play.

This might be far too powerful if Fortress is on the board. You only need a single Fortress in hand and you can play any number of Hostile Villages.
This is like saying that Apprentice is far too powerful because it is a TripleLab with Fortress.
The craziness in those combos is mainly due to Fortress and not due the other card.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 05:35:08 am by segura »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #7626 on: November 24, 2020, 05:47:17 am »
+1

Contest #96: Soylent Green is Action Cards! Submission

Cook | Night | $4
Trash a non-Duration card you have in play. Gain a card costing up to $2 more.
-
When you trash this, gain a Copper.

Rules Clarification: when you play this, it is in play, so you can self trash.

Non terminal remodeler!? How does this cost 4? Well, it has several weakness when compared to remodel:
  • This cannot trash estates, curses
  • This cannot mill provinces
  • This can't gain cards that you can use that turn, since it plays in the night phase. So, no turn-accelerating.
  • This cannot remodel duration cards

It's also similar to Feast, you could buy it and self-trash it. But it has a weakness compared to Feast that I think makes it okay -- you gain a copper when you self-trash, in exchange for being non-terminal. In this way, it's also similar to Banquet. Banquet costs 1 less and gives you an extra copper and the $5 you want immediately. Cook takes longer -- you have to wait to draw Cook first. So, it seems fairly priced around those benchmarks to me.

The name comes from similarity to Feast and Banquet, and the version of "remodeling/improving/etc" food is to cook it.

Open to feedback.
The most obvious advantage over other Remodelers is that you can play the Gold and trash it afterwards. I doubt that this overcompensates the card's weaknesses though.

I like it, it looks like a Remodeler with more twists and differences than other variants.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #7627 on: November 24, 2020, 06:32:23 am »
+2

Overwork
Event - $4

Put a token on this. For each token on this, trash an Action you have in play. If you did, and the previous turn wasn't yours, take an extra turn after this one.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #7628 on: November 24, 2020, 07:24:08 am »

Overwork
Event - $4

Put a token on this. For each token on this, trash an Action you have in play. If you did, and the previous turn wasn't yours, take an extra turn after this one.

I think it maybe gives a big advantage to the player who buys it first. Maybe it would work better if each player has different tokens and the card count only tokens from the player who is buying Overwork.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7629 on: November 24, 2020, 07:26:52 am »

Thanks scott_pillgrim for runner-up! Congratulations silverspawn and all the winners!

My entry for new contest:

Gravedigger • •Night

You may trash a card from your hand to gain a card from the trash.
Trash a card you have in play. Per each it costs, draw an extra card for your next hand.

Any comments? I would love to have some feedback!

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7630 on: November 24, 2020, 07:29:39 am »

Overwork
Event - $4

I think it maybe gives a big advantage to the player who buys it first. Maybe it would work better if each player has different tokens and the card count only tokens from the player who is buying Overwork.
I considered this but it is way too complicated and fiddly. I think the fact that getting it first is less costly is balanced out by the fact that an extra turn is less useful early on.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7631 on: November 24, 2020, 07:35:25 am »
+1

Thanks scott_pillgrim for runner-up! Congratulations silverspawn and all the winners!

Gravedigger • •Night

Trash a card you have in play. Per each it costs, draw an extra card for your next hand.

I think it's way too powerful with any Gold-gainers. It's basically a nonterminal Tactician+ that you can play in multiples then.

And even without any gaining shenanigans, the very baseline is quite powerful: Have 2 of these, use first one to trash itself and second one to regain it gives you a 10-card hand each turn - which is, again, better than Tactician and nonterminal.

It might be more reasonable if you make it an Action.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 07:37:18 am by faust »

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7632 on: November 24, 2020, 09:45:13 am »

Gravedigger • •Night

I think it's way too powerful with any Gold-gainers. It's basically a nonterminal Tactician+ that you can play in multiples then.

And even without any gaining shenanigans, the very baseline is quite powerful: Have 2 of these, use first one to trash itself and second one to regain it gives you a 10-card hand each turn - which is, again, better than Tactician and nonterminal.

It might be more reasonable if you make it an Action.

Thank you very much! You're right, this way it's too powerful.

I don't want to make it an Action, because I want it to be able to trash treasures, especially trash played Coppers if you don't have better otions of cards to trash this turn.

So i'll try a new version, nerfing it in three ways:

- Making both options alternative, not available at the same playing;

- Including "Expand" restriction to remodeling option;

- Making second option trash only non-Nights, so it can't trash itself.

Hope it's more well balanced now. I tried to keep the Lurkerlike interaction, in which if you don't play two Gravediggers this turn, maybe you would leave a good card available in trash for your opponents.

Also changed card art, because I found the image I used first is from a card of the game Arkham Horror. Hope the new one is not from other card game.

MY UPDATED ENTRY:

Gravedigger • • Night

Choose one:
Trash a card from your hand to gain a card from trash which costs up to more; or
Trash a non-Night card you have in play. Per each it costs, draw a card to your next hand.

More feedbacks are always welcome!

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #7633 on: November 24, 2020, 09:45:54 am »
+1

The last part seems to be still way too strong. With any Gold gainers, (and even a simple Silver would give 3 cards), with other cards like Peddler, Wayfarer, Animal Fair not to mention Fortress, Gravedigger would give tons of cards.

Edit: Regarding the image, I guess the new one is also licensed. If you want one from the public domain:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vale_of_Rest

I have used it for a card called Undertaker.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 10:11:00 am by gambit05 »

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #7634 on: November 24, 2020, 10:19:14 am »
+1

Edited my entry. Just changed the wording to add "that's still in play" to make Bifurcation more thorough. But functionally, it stayed the same.

Bottom text

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #7635 on: November 24, 2020, 11:19:36 am »
+2

As the card wording is, I think you may trash a Horse or an Experiment you played this turn, which could be a bit confusing to track. Maybe it's better to say "an Action card you have in play".

Horses and Experiments wouldn't be trashable by it due to the Stop Moving rule.

Why? The card text doesn't imply that you have to look for them in play area.

Excerpt from the wiki: "Played cards expect to be in play." If a card is played and then somehow leaves play, something else can't move it.

I am being a bit of a devil's advocate here, though. I'd word it as "you may trash an Action card you played this turn that's still in play" or "you may trash a non-Duration Action card you have in play" to be more in-line with official cards.

Thank you for clarifying. I think official cards are so precise to point where the card comes from just to avoid doubts like this one I had.

It's moot because I think including "that's still in play" is a needed thing for clarity and function in general, but this question is bugging me because I'm not sure of the answer.

I don't think Stop Moving actually applies, because you aren't starting to track the card until after it has been returned to the pile. With something like new-BoM + Embargo, Embargo tries to trash itself but fails because Embargo "thinks" that it is in play. It "thinks" this because it is its on-play instructions that are being followed; and on-play instructions are normally only followed after a card is moved into play.

But with original Bifurcation, you aren't choosing a card that's in play and then trying to trash it. The only condition of the card you choose is that it's one that you played this turn. If you are allowed to choose a card such as a Horse that has been returned to its pile, then I don't see what would stop it from getting trashed; because Horse was already in its pile before you played Bifurcation.

This might be wrong; it's possible that the very fact that "a card you played this turn" is the target also causes Bifurcation to assume that the card is in play. But I don't think that's clear from any rulings we have currently, and since no official card cares about such a distinction, I don't think we'll ever see such an official ruling.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7636 on: November 24, 2020, 11:47:50 am »
+1

The last part seems to be still way too strong. With any Gold gainers, (and even a simple Silver would give 3 cards), with other cards like Peddler, Wayfarer, Animal Fair not to mention Fortress, Gravedigger would give tons of cards.

Edit: Regarding the image, I guess the new one is also licensed. If you want one from the public domain:

Thank you!

These combos you mentioned also gives you tons of cards with Apprentice or Research. In general, any TFB benefits a lot from alternative gain cost of Peddler, Wayfarer and Animal Fair (and also Fisherman). The same about returning ability of Fortress. About Gold gainers, I think only two cards (Bandit, Soothsayer) give you a Gold every time they are played without a condition or a penalty (and maybe Governor, which condition to gain Gold is often a bonus). Putting it all together, I think these are the few cases that make any TFB so much better.

That said, I, however, agree with you that last option of Graveddiger is still too strong, mainly because you first play the trashed card. So, I nerfed it a little more, making the first one you play in a turn draw one card less.

I like so much more the picture you suggested, because the graveddiger is a female, like me. Thank you very much for this!

UPDATE TO MY ENTRY:

Gravedigger • • Night

Choose one:
Trash a card from your hand to gain a card from trash which costs up to more; or
Trash a non-Night card you have in play. If it costs $1 or more, put your -1 Card token on your deck.  Per each $1 the trashed card costs, draw a card to your next hand.

More feedbacks are always very welcome!

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #7637 on: November 24, 2020, 01:02:58 pm »

Thank you!

These combos you mentioned also gives you tons of cards with Apprentice or Research. In general, any TFB benefits a lot from alternative gain cost of Peddler, Wayfarer and Animal Fair (and also Fisherman). The same about returning ability of Fortress. About Gold gainers, I think only two cards (Bandit, Soothsayer) give you a Gold every time they are played without a condition or a penalty (and maybe Governor, which condition to gain Gold is often a bonus). Putting it all together, I think these are the few cases that make any TFB so much better.

That said, I, however, agree with you that last option of Graveddiger is still too strong, mainly because you first play the trashed card. So, I nerfed it a little more, making the first one you play in a turn draw one card less.

I like so much more the picture you suggested, because the graveddiger is a female, like me. Thank you very much for this!

UPDATE TO MY ENTRY:

Gravedigger • • Night

Choose one:
Trash a non-Night card you have in play. If it costs $1 or more, put your -1 Card token on your deck.  Per each $1 the trashed card costs, draw a card to your next hand.

That seems kind of finnicky, since you're taking then losing your –1 Card token immediately. Why not just "Per each $2 the trash card costs (round up), +1 Card at the end of your turn when drawing a new hand" or similar?

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7638 on: November 24, 2020, 01:59:08 pm »

Thank you!

UPDATE TO MY ENTRY:

Gravedigger • • Night

Choose one:

Nice to see that you like and use the image!

I think the major difference between Gravedigger and the other cards mentioned, e.g. Research, is that Gravedigger trashes cards that are in play. This mean the player gets the full benefit for it, while with Research the player can't use its power.

If you don't insist on trashing played cards, I suggest a simple version like this:

Trash a card from your hand.
Choose one: Per $1 it costs,
+1 Card at the end of this turn;
or gain a card from the trash.

Clearer, simpler and not overpowered as far as I see it. As you can see I rearranged it a bit for clarity and removed the restriction "up to $3".

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7639 on: November 24, 2020, 02:27:03 pm »
+2

That seems kind of finnicky, since you're taking then losing your –1 Card token immediately. Why not just "Per each $2 the trash card costs (round up), +1 Card at the end of your turn when drawing a new hand" or similar?

Nice to see that you like and use the image!

I think the major difference between Gravedigger and the other cards mentioned, e.g. Research, is that Gravedigger trashes cards that are in play. This mean the player gets the full benefit for it, while with Research the player can't use its power.

If you don't insist on trashing played cards, I suggest a simple version like this:

Trash a card from your hand.
Choose one: Per $1 it costs,
+1 Card at the end of this turn;
or gain a card from the trash.

Clearer, simpler and not overpowered as far as I see it. As you can see I rearranged it a bit for clarity and removed the restriction "up to $3".

Thank you both!

If Gravedigger doesn't trash played cards, it wouldn't qualify for this contest.

Anyway, I think I found a better version which probably will fix all pointed issues. It doesn't increase your next hand size, only make it better. This way, I think it's ok to remove "Expand" restriction to first option and "non-Night" condition to second one.

See it below. I'm in doubt with its wording, it's ok?

UPDATE TO MY ENTRY:

Gravedigger • • Night

Choose one:
Trash a card from your hand to gain a card from trash; or
Trash a card you have in play. Draw as many extra cards to your next hand as it costs. After that, discard that many cards.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7640 on: November 24, 2020, 02:27:21 pm »
+1

If Gravedigger doesn't trash played cards, it wouldn't qualify for this contest.

Oops, I totally forgot about the contest.

Quote from: Carline
Anyway, I think I find a better version which probably will fix all pointed issues. It doesn't increase your next hand size, only make it better. This way, I think it's ok to remove "Expand" restriction to first option and "non-Night" condition to second one.

UPDATE TO MY ENTRY:

Gravedigger • • Night

Choose one:
Trash a card you have in play. Draw as many extra cards to your next hand as it costs. After that, discard that many cards.

Yes, that looks nice. Well done. There may be some minor wording issues, but at least for me the instructions are clearly understandable.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7641 on: November 24, 2020, 03:24:10 pm »

Anyway, I think I find a better version which probably will fix all pointed issues. It doesn't increase your next hand size, only make it better. This way, I think it's ok to remove "Expand" restriction to first option and "non-Night" condition to second one.

UPDATE TO MY ENTRY:

Gravedigger • • Night

Choose one:

Yes, that looks nice. Well done. There may be some minor wording issues, but at least for me the instructions are clearly understandable.

Thank you! Maybe now Graveddigger could cost to be possible to open with it with a 4/3 initial hand or it's ok at ?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 03:45:18 pm by Carline »

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #7642 on: November 24, 2020, 05:52:31 pm »

UPDATE TO MY ENTRY:

Gravedigger • • Night

Choose one:

Thank you! Maybe now Graveddigger could cost to be possible to open with it with a 4/3 initial hand or it's ok at ?

Does it allow to "Remodel Province to Province, and Gravedig Copper to Province?"

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7643 on: November 24, 2020, 07:01:30 pm »
+1

Does it allow to "Remodel Province to Province, and Gravedig Copper to Province?"

I think so, but you should have a Remodel, a Province, a Gravedigger and a Copper in hand to do it. Maybe it's a specific situation, but your comment draw attention to the issues of gaining Victories from trash. With Rebuild or Salt the Earth things could be worse, so it's better to include "non-Victory" in first option. Thank you!

UPDATE TO MY ENTRY:

Gravedigger • • Night

Choose one:
Trash a card from your hand to gain a non-Victory card from the trash; or

I'm still in doubt: better at or ?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 07:09:00 pm by Carline »

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7644 on: November 24, 2020, 08:10:02 pm »
+1

My submission:

Reanimate
$4 - Action
Trash a non-Duration
Action card you have in
         play, for +1 Action and +$2.         

For the rest of this turn,
when you trash an Action
card, Exile it.

Except for some Actions you don't need anymore after some time (Chapel, Moneylender, Spice Merchant, etc.), I think trash an Action card is more a cost than a bonus. As you already spent an Action to play Reanimate, what you get by trashing an Action card is and  transform other Action cards trashed this turn in a kind of pseudo-Fortress (which have to be released from exile). To chain many Reanimates exiling all but the last, gaining for each, doesn't seem to be so much better than play a serie of Stockpiles and has the same limitation, it can't be done anymore when pile is out. In some situations (like TFBs) the pseudo-Fortress feature would shine, but I think many times you wouldn't use it and would end up trashing an Action card to get only a non-activated Mystic playing, which could be a bit weak.

Reanimate has other limitation: If kingdom doesn't have Villages, it can't trash terminals. (edit: after post this, I saw that others cards of this contest that trashes actions in action phase and aren't villages themselves have the same limitation, so maybe it's not a problem). 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 08:58:43 pm by Carline »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7645 on: November 24, 2020, 09:11:56 pm »

Gravedigger • •Night

I'm not sure if it's a problem, but this would be the only card to allow you to ever gain Zombies. The to restriction from Graverobber and Rogue could work fine here; and then you wouldn't have to exclude victory cards. It's pretty rare that you would want to use it to gain a non-Province that doesn't fit in that cost range anyway.

Edit, never mind, Lurker is a thing.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 09:17:03 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7646 on: November 24, 2020, 09:35:27 pm »

Gravedigger • •Night

I'm not sure if it's a problem, but this would be the only card to allow you to ever gain Zombies. The to restriction from Graverobber and Rogue could work fine here; and then you wouldn't have to exclude victory cards. It's pretty rare that you would want to use it to gain a non-Province that doesn't fit in that cost range anyway.

Edit, never mind, Lurker is a thing.

I have already updated my card, present version is this:

As I said in a previous post, due to cards like Rebuild and Salt the Earth, I think it was better to exclude Victory cards gaining from its first option.

I didn't understand very well the part of your comment about Zombies. They cost , so Graverobber and Rogue indeed can gain them.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7647 on: November 24, 2020, 09:37:38 pm »

I didn't understand very well the part of your comment about Zombies. They cost , so Graverobber and Rogue indeed can gain them.

I have no idea whether I never knew that, or if I just forgot! Presumably the decision to make them cost basically had to be specifically for the Graverobber/Rogue combo. Anyway, never mind to the whole thing, sorry!

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #7648 on: November 24, 2020, 09:49:22 pm »
+1

Name: Spellbook
Cost: $2
Types: Night
Trash two non-Duration Action cards you have in play with the same name. If you did, move your +1 card, +1 action, +1 buy, +$1, trashing, or -$2 cost token to their pile.

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #7649 on: November 24, 2020, 10:28:41 pm »
+1

I have no idea whether I never knew that, or if I just forgot! Presumably the decision to make them cost basically had to be specifically for the Graverobber/Rogue combo. Anyway, never mind to the whole thing, sorry!
I think Graverobbing a zombie is worse than leaving it there, as I believe that they're better cards when they're options for necromancer, due to them relying on the trash.
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.