Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547895 times)

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #7600 on: November 22, 2020, 07:58:45 pm »
+1

Observer by X-tra
I'm not sure if I understand this. Do they steal your card after playing it? There's no "leaving it there", but I don't think you would ever buy this (except maybe in big money?) if it meant you'd be handing all your actions out to the next player, so I assume it's not meant to go to the next player. Is it meant to stay in your hand, or go to your play area? Regardless, it seems somewhat political that only one player gets the bonus, and I don't like that it discourages you from getting lots of Actions, but I do kind of like the idea of letting other players play a card from your hand as a penalty on an otherwise strong card.

Thanks for the judging! But uh, yeah. You did kind of misread my card, I suppose. The player from your left plays a card from THEIR hand, not YOUR hand. It's kind of like Sheepdog when someone plays a Witch: you can put your Sheepdog in play (where it stays in play until your next clean-up) even though it isn't your turn. Similarly, Observer makes it so that the player to your left can play one of their Action cards even though it isn't their turn. In practice, most of the time, it won't be too useful for your neighbour... sometimes it's even bad for them (they lose , Buys and Actions the played Action card yield, since it's not their turn and, just like Caravan Guard, these resources vanish before they can use 'em). But sometimes, they can play an Attack in the middle of your turn, like Militia, which can really mess you up. It's pretty versatile, really!

In a game I played with Observer, the player to my left played an Observer in response to my own Observer, which made me also immediately play another Action even though I was out of Actions! It was pretty funny. :)

Oh, that makes so much more sense! I'm really sorry I misread it. I like it a lot more now, though I don't think enough that it would have been a runner-up. But it is pretty cool. And the interaction with itself is fun too.

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #7601 on: November 22, 2020, 10:25:41 pm »

Death Cart trashes itself and Rats trashes cards in the hand.
Ah, you want to trash Action cards in play, and nothing else qualifies, correct?

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #7602 on: November 22, 2020, 11:47:05 pm »
+3

Contest #96: Soylent Green is Action Cards! Submission

Cook | Night | $4
Trash a non-Duration card you have in play. Gain a card costing up to $2 more.
-
When you trash this, gain a Copper.

Rules Clarification: when you play this, it is in play, so you can self trash.

Non terminal remodeler!? How does this cost 4? Well, it has several weakness when compared to remodel:
  • This cannot trash estates, curses
  • This cannot mill provinces
  • This can't gain cards that you can use that turn, since it plays in the night phase. So, no turn-accelerating.
  • This cannot remodel duration cards

It's also similar to Feast, you could buy it and self-trash it. But it has a weakness compared to Feast that I think makes it okay -- you gain a copper when you self-trash, in exchange for being non-terminal. In this way, it's also similar to Banquet. Banquet costs 1 less and gives you an extra copper and the $5 you want immediately. Cook takes longer -- you have to wait to draw Cook first. So, it seems fairly priced around those benchmarks to me.

The name comes from similarity to Feast and Banquet, and the version of "remodeling/improving/etc" food is to cook it.

Open to feedback.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 10:35:35 am by anordinaryman »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3191
    • View Profile
« Reply #7603 on: November 23, 2020, 03:54:06 am »

Ah, you want to trash Action cards in play, and nothing else qualifies, correct?

yes

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #7604 on: November 23, 2020, 04:53:17 am »

My apologies if this is redundant.

When looking at Bonfire and some of the Fan cards already presented, I think the requirement for this contest is that the designed card has the ability to trash Action cards in play. This means it can but does not necessarily have to trash Action cards in play. This in turn means that such a card could exclusively trash non-Action cards in a given game as long as it has the potential to trash Action cards in play. Right?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3191
    • View Profile
« Reply #7605 on: November 23, 2020, 05:12:15 am »

My apologies if this is redundant.

When looking at Bonfire and some of the Fan cards already presented, I think the requirement for this contest is that the designed card has the ability to trash Action cards in play. This means it can but does not necessarily have to trash Action cards in play. This in turn means that such a card could exclusively trash non-Action cards in a given game as long as it has the potential to trash Action cards in play. Right?

yes

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #7606 on: November 23, 2020, 10:49:35 am »
+1

This submission is obsolete. Updated version, Bifurcation V2, can be found here.

Let's try this. Has some kind of Stonemason-esque mechanic.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 10:20:35 am by X-tra »
Bottom text

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #7607 on: November 23, 2020, 01:15:41 pm »
+2

Hostile Village - Action, $4 cost.
+3 Cards
+2 Actions

Trash a card you have in play.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #7608 on: November 23, 2020, 01:42:55 pm »

I like this stonemason-esque mechanic a lot! I wonder about the on-play vanilla bonus though...

I worry that it's self-trashing ability makes it a little too strong. It's basically, +$3 and gain a 5 (basically buy this instead of the 5 you want, then play it, self-trash to get two copies of the 5 you wanted)? Pretty damn strong. I wonder if this should not be able to trash itself, or if it should cost $6, or if it should give $2 and cost $4 instead. Maybe instead of money it could give a weaker bonus like a deck sifter/inspection or it could have the Tracker while this is in play. I kind of like that option most. You could also prevent self-trashing and leave it as is.

+3 Cards
+2 Actions

This is great. Of course you love this card with Villas, Black Markets, and Story tellers most. I also can't wait to send some Cultists to the Hostile village. Even without that, the village part of this allows you to play crappy cards (ruins) which is nice. But it's balanced that you must have some action card played first so you don't have to self-trash the hostile village. Nice work, this feels like it would have been a great addition to Dark Ages.

I do wonder, do you think you should restrict it from trashing duration cards? This is more of a personal taste. Other cards like Bonfire have a precedent for allowing duration cards to be trashed. It's more personal taste on whether you like that or not.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #7609 on: November 23, 2020, 01:45:13 pm »
+2

Landmine
$4 - Victory - Reaction
Worth 1VP.
-
When another player gains a victory card, you may set this aside to choose an Action card that player has in play. They choose: either you get +2VP or they trash the chosen card. Return this to your hand at the end of the turn.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 01:56:22 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #7610 on: November 23, 2020, 02:04:32 pm »

+3 Cards
+2 Actions

This might be far too powerful if Fortress is on the board. You only need a single Fortress in hand and you can play any number of Hostile Villages.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #7611 on: November 23, 2020, 02:39:58 pm »
+2

My submission (update):

Reanimate
$4 - Action
Trash a non-Duration
Action card you have in
     play, for +2 Actions and +$2.     

For the rest of this turn,
when you trash an Action
card, set it aside and discard
it at the start of Clean-up.

My submission (old version):

Reanimate
$4 - Action
Trash a non-Duration
Action card you have in
         play, for +1 Action and +$2.         

For the rest of this turn,
when you trash an Action
card, Exile it.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 08:44:25 am by gambit05 »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #7612 on: November 23, 2020, 02:59:01 pm »

+3 Cards
+2 Actions

With this being so compact, you could toss a lil kicker on the bottom to have it penalize self-trashing like "when you trash this, gain a Copper."

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #7613 on: November 23, 2020, 02:59:51 pm »
+1

+3 Cards
+2 Actions

This might be far too powerful if Fortress is on the board. You only need a single Fortress in hand and you can play any number of Hostile Villages.

It already happens with Fortress and other non-terminal TFBs (Research, Upgrade, Governor, Apprentice, Raze, Recruiter, Scrap, Sacrifice). 

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #7614 on: November 23, 2020, 03:53:01 pm »
+2

+3 Cards
+2 Actions

It already happens with Fortress and other non-terminal TFBs (Research, Upgrade, Governor, Apprentice, Raze, Recruiter, Scrap, Sacrifice).

Fair point. Though I do think the fact that Hostile Village trashes from play makes the issue even stronger there... for one, because you don't actually have to collide them both in hand, you just have to have Fortress in play by the time you play Hostile Village. But also, because getting to play Fortress repeatedly is really good... if you have a Fortress in play, each Hostile Village becomes +4 Cards, +3 Actions. You will draw your deck and play all actions in it really easily.

Compared to the other combos you list... several of them cost , making it a lot harder to get a few of them as quickly. Upgrade becomes cantrip + gain a , which is obviously awesome but needs other good cost cards to do anything with. Raze just becomes a cantrip with sifting; maybe it becomes as strong as Forum? Apprentice draws your deck easily but doesn't let you play extra terminals; so you need multiple villages/Fortresses. Recruiter is probably the closest to Hostile Village, and it costs and requires playing many more Recruiters to draw your deck than Hostile Village takes.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:57:19 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7615 on: November 23, 2020, 06:38:04 pm »

As the card wording is, I think you may trash a Horse or an Experiment you played this turn, which could be a bit confusing to track. Maybe it's better to say "an Action card you have in play".

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7616 on: November 23, 2020, 07:00:01 pm »

Landmine
$4 - Victory - Reaction
Worth 1VP.
-
When another player gains a victory card, you may set this aside to choose an Action card that player has in play. They choose: either you get +2VP or they trash the chosen card. Return this to your hand at the end of the turn.

I think like in Sheepdog or Black Cat, you should say "from your hand". In this case, "...set this aside from your hand to choose..."

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #7617 on: November 23, 2020, 07:00:16 pm »

As the card wording is, I think you may trash a Horse or an Experiment you played this turn, which could be a bit confusing to track. Maybe it's better to say "an Action card you have in play".

Horses and Experiments wouldn't be trashable by it due to the Stop Moving rule.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7618 on: November 23, 2020, 07:07:54 pm »

Why not? The card text doesn't imply that you have to look for them in play area.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 07:17:39 pm by Carline »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #7619 on: November 23, 2020, 07:18:02 pm »
+1

Why? The card text doesn't imply that you have to look for them in play area.

Excerpt from the wiki: "Played cards expect to be in play." If a card is played and then somehow leaves play, something else can't move it.

I am being a bit of a devil's advocate here, though. I'd word it as "you may trash an Action card you played this turn that's still in play" or "you may trash a non-Duration Action card you have in play" to be more in-line with official cards.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7620 on: November 23, 2020, 07:33:59 pm »

Why? The card text doesn't imply that you have to look for them in play area.

Excerpt from the wiki: "Played cards expect to be in play." If a card is played and then somehow leaves play, something else can't move it.

I am being a bit of a devil's advocate here, though. I'd word it as "you may trash an Action card you played this turn that's still in play" or "you may trash a non-Duration Action card you have in play" to be more in-line with official cards.

Thank you for clarifying. I think official cards are so precise to point where the card comes from just to avoid doubts like this one I had.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 07:40:13 pm by Carline »

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #7621 on: November 23, 2020, 07:45:32 pm »
+3

I guess this is why Scepter says "[...] that's still in play."

You could otherwise use a Buy to Bonfire away an Action card in play, use another Buy to gain a Villa, end your new Action phase and play a Scepter to try to replay the trashed Action card. Will edit my card to fix this ambiguity tomorrow. ;)
Bottom text

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #7622 on: November 23, 2020, 09:44:39 pm »
+4

Quote from: text:
Junkyard
Victory - Reaction

Whenever you play a card, you may discard this to trash it.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #7623 on: November 23, 2020, 11:05:22 pm »
+4

Touch of Midas
$4 - Night
Trash an Action card from play to gain a Gold onto your deck.
-
This is gained into your hand.

Pretty straightforward limited remodeler. It's Night to be useful on decks with no +Actions; gaining into hand to allow quick Gold gaining when necessary, similar to Skunk.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #7624 on: November 24, 2020, 03:43:55 am »
+1

+3 Cards
+2 Actions

Yes, this is silly isn't it? The problem is more to do with not losing the Fortress rather than on-trash effects in general (Cultist can slip by as a combo). So the best fix I think is:

'Trash a card you have in play. If it's in the trash, +3 Cards and +2 Actions.'

@anordinaryman: I could say non-Durations, but since we can do it anyway and the rules are in place I'd like to let them go as combos. The day I see a Hireling game go out of control would change my mind though.

With this being so compact, you could toss a lil kicker on the bottom to have it penalize self-trashing like "when you trash this, gain a Copper."
If this trashes itself straight away, it's basically Experiment with an extra Action. By itself this is about $4 strong, and I'm hoping the ability to pay for another use with trashing a different Action won't add much to the cost (and if you work to trash a Treasure, you can be allowed to have that).

Thank you all for your feedback!
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 21 queries.