Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546537 times)

BBobb

• Moneylender
  • My brother says thief is amazing.
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #7575 on: November 19, 2020, 07:19:20 pm »

This is the first time I have ever posted a fan card, so it probably is awful.

? - Treasure
Cost - $4?

Reveal your hand. Your opponent chooses one for you: +$3; or +2 Coffers

Tell me how under/overpowered this card.

It suffers from the "strictly better than Silver at " problem. Both options look pretty strong... if your opponent chooses +, then it's simply a Gold; which is clearly way too good. So the only way for it to not be too strong is if the other option gets chosen. A simple Silver that gives coffers instead of coins is probably balanced at ; hard to say.

So the question is whether the fact that you will get whichever option is worse for you at this moment matters that much. And I don't think it will. No matter what is chosen, you're still getting a stronger-than- effect from playing the card.

It might also be slow to play; your opponent needs to add up all the treasure that they see you have; and decide from that whether an extra will help this turn or not.

You are totally correct. Don't know how I didn't think of that given the fact that I have literally read through this every single card in this thread in the last couple weeks, and have also seen many, many other cards. What if it was a terminal action instead? I'm assuming that that is still too OP, but more experienced players will tell.

? - Action
Cost - $4

If you're looking for name, Escrow could work.

What is an escrow?

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #7576 on: November 19, 2020, 07:27:12 pm »

? - Treasure
Cost - $4?

It suffers from the "strictly better than Silver at " problem. Both options look pretty strong... if your opponent chooses +, then it's simply a Gold; which is clearly way too good. So the only way for it to not be too strong is if the other option gets chosen. A simple Silver that gives coffers instead of coins is probably balanced at ; hard to say.

So the question is whether the fact that you will get whichever option is worse for you at this moment matters that much. And I don't think it will. No matter what is chosen, you're still getting a stronger-than- effect from playing the card.

It might also be slow to play; your opponent needs to add up all the treasure that they see you have; and decide from that whether an extra will help this turn or not.

You are totally correct. Don't know how I didn't think of that given the fact that I have literally read through this every single card in this thread in the last couple weeks, and have also seen many, many other cards. What if it was a terminal action instead? I'm assuming that that is still too OP, but more experienced players will tell.

? - Action
Cost - $4

What is an escrow?
"a bond, deed, or other document kept in the custody of a third party and taking effect only when a specified condition has been fulfilled.".

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #7577 on: November 19, 2020, 09:04:22 pm »
+2

So, I've decided to scrap Repossess as I'm having trouble making it in a way I like. Instead, I give you:

Surveyor
Action - Fate
+1 card
+1 action

Reveal the top 3 boons. The player to your right chooses one of them for you to discard. Receive the other two.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 09:08:38 pm by Doom_Shark »
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

BBobb

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7578 on: November 20, 2020, 12:12:25 am »

? - Treasure
Cost - $4?

? - Action
Cost - $4

What is an escrow?
"a bond, deed, or other document kept in the custody of a third party and taking effect only when a specified condition has been fulfilled.".

That works! Thanks, LittleFish

BBobb

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7579 on: November 20, 2020, 04:53:26 pm »
+1

So, I've decided to scrap Repossess as I'm having trouble making it in a way I like. Instead, I give you:

Surveyor
Action - Fate
+1 card
+1 action

Reveal the top 3 boons. The player to your right chooses one of them for you to discard. Receive the other two.

Though I am in now way qualified to tell if this card is good or not, I probably think that this card is OP. Let's say that you get three vanilla boons: Forest's Gift (+$1, +1 Buy), Field's Gift (+1 Action, +$1), and Sea's Gift (+1 Card). That means that your opponent chooses you to either get:

+2 Cards, +1 Action, +1 Buy, +$1, which is a lab and a market

+2 Cards, +2 Actions, +$1, which is a lost city and a peddler

+1 Card, +2 Actions, +$2, which is a bazaar and a peddler

Maybe it is just me, but I think that even if your opponent gets to choose between these options the card is probably too good to cost $5.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #7580 on: November 20, 2020, 05:14:41 pm »

You also get a buy in the last case.

The defense here would be that some of the boons may be useless, and your opponent can leave those in. The list looks a lot worse if you add a useless Moon's gift.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #7581 on: November 20, 2020, 05:16:58 pm »
+1

Surveyor
Action - Fate
+1 card
+1 action

So, Donald noticed that Boons slowed down the game a lot, that’s why most fates are stop cards and don’t draw, OR they only give a boon once (village, pixie, fool to an extent), or every other (like idol). Idol also makes it such that it doesn’t get played too often cu it throws curses around. There’s no even terminal draw fates as those would cause themselves to be played too often.
This is a cantrip and thus easily spammable. Played several times a turn
But it’s even slower than a normal fate because your opponent needs to decide each time, and THEN you have to resolve two separate boons.

This card goes against some design findings from Donald X. You don’t have to respect those rules, but I think they make sense.

I designed a can-trip fate. They way I got it to work is it only provided a boon on the first play. “If this is your only x in play.” You could also do an idol-like alternation.

Another option is making it less spammable — make it a terminal card, or don’t have it draw. It could even be a discard for benefit which would be interesting because discarding leaves you vulnerable to a lot of boons not being helpful.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 10:59:53 pm by scott_pilgrim »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #7583 on: November 20, 2020, 07:32:45 pm »
+2

24 hour warning

Below is a list of submissions I have so far. Please let me know if I missed yours or linked to the wrong post:

You're missing my entry here.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7584 on: November 20, 2020, 11:00:20 pm »
+1

24 hour warning

Below is a list of submissions I have so far. Please let me know if I missed yours or linked to the wrong post:

You're missing my entry here.

Thanks, I've added it to my list now.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7585 on: November 21, 2020, 07:59:21 pm »
+6

Judgment

Wrangler by mandioca15
A goatherd-like piggybacking card where the reward is Horses. I think this is probably fine balance-wise and I could see it being an actual card, but it doesn't seem particularly interesting to me.

Councillor by Aquila
I like this as a concept, but I agree with others that it's probably too similar to Monument, and also pretty much worse than it. Discarding a Copper puts you at the same level as Monument, but I imagine more often than not you'll be discarding something worse than Copper. I get the argument that with +$4 and a Throne Room it just means you can discard (almost) your hand for a Province, but I doubt that would happen much anyway, because it would only be that straightforward in a big money game, where you probably wouldn't be buying throne room anyway. In any case, I think the idea has potential, but probably needs some tweaking to work.

Investor by LittleFish
This is a novel concept, but I don't think it works well in practice. Due to the limited range of prices (which is pretty much necessary), they will only ever name $3, $4 or $6, and I imagine that, based on the board, the decision will be pretty much constant throughout the game. In fact, I think it compares unfavorably to Workshop: If they name $4, the +$2 you get is more or less a wash with the +2 coffers they get, so it's just a Workshop with a +buy for $5, which is already bad; but then it's even worse, because they have the option to name $3 or $6 instead. I don't know if there's a way to make the idea work.

Judge by spineflu
(I assume the victory type in the card image is meant to be action-attack, as in the text below.) This seems like a bit of a combination between Witch and Courtier, but with another player making the decisions...I think I like it, though there is a lot of text on the card. And the fact that it has two types gives you a consolation prize if drawn dead, and also means it's never strictly worse than Witch. I do think it will generally be worse than Witch though, but Witch is a strong card anyway so I think that's okay.

Commune by NoMoreFun
This is a very cool card, it has a built-in self-synergy that rewards everyone (including yourself) when you take advantage of it. I think the self-synergy might make it too game-warping (everyone will start turns with huge hands), though it might be okay power-wise, because the benefit to other players is pretty significant. Regardless, this card is novel, unique, and clever. I love it!
Runner-up

Council by majiponi
Aside from the clunky wording, I think the idea of "bidding" to offer the best card to a player is neat, but inherently political and will make games un-fun. In a 2-player game, this is nearly strictly worse than Butcher, and the entire value of the card comes from the political nature of it, where pitting the players against each other incentivizes them to offer better cards. I don't think this idea really works well in practice.

Extortionist by chronostrike
I think I like this, except that it seems too weak to me. The idea is kind of like a Torturer, except that the vanilla bonus is also tied to the attack being chosen by another player. You usually want to play draw and payload at very different times in your turn, which means that not knowing which one you're getting (or worse, knowing that you'll generally get the worse of those two options) when you play it is a significant drawback, as well as the fact that you'll probably have to rely on other cards to do its jobs for it, since it will only ever be doing whichever job you don't want it to do. I think maybe if it were cheaper, or if the vanilla bonuses were stronger, it would work. Overall, I like it.

Draper by Fragasnap
This is deceptively interesting. I like that it provides +buy, so that there's a good chance that it gets weaker as the game goes. I imagine it's strong early and rapidly turns into an Herbalist, but the early momentum boost might be enough to make it worthwhile.

Surveyor by Doom_Shark
I normally do not like Boons, but I think this is a really good way of making them interesting. I like the card, but as others pointed out, it will be very slow to resolve, because you have to read 3 boons every time you play it, and the other player has to make a decision regarding those 3 boons as well. As a strong cantrip, you'll probably be playing it a lot. So I think it might be better to have a different vanilla bonus (and even then, I imagine it's a bit slow).

Atlantis by gambit05
This is one of the best hot potato-like cards I've seen. I don't like the wording, but I understand why you did it that way (I think it would be better to just make it an Action-Victory card and put two lines on it). I always like situational villages, and I think it would be really interesting to see how a game plays out where this is the only village. If you start building an engine, another player can hoard them all, but then they've effectively got a bunch of estates in their deck. It might encourage you to try to build a deck that can function well both with or without villages. I'm not sure if the 1 VP on buy is enough of an incentive to buy it; perhaps it could cost less.

Fanatic by silverspawn
This is very cool! It's a super powerful effect, but potentially shuts down the rest of your turn. It encourages you to have lots of variety, which I like, but does so in a novel and indirect way. I think it will lead to lots of new types of gameplay decisions that we haven't encountered before. My main concern is that it may favor big money too much, as it's generally hard to build an engine without whatever the strongest action on the board is. But what I hope (and this card is unique enough that you would probably only be able to determine whether this is the case by playtesting) is that it really encourages hybrid, "unstable" but adaptable engines, that won't run smoothly but will still do better than a deck without Fanatic.
Runner-up

Developer by anordinaryman
This is another brilliant card! I already think the idea of a trash-for-benefit where the benefit is to simply play a card from the supply based on the cost of your trashed card is very cool and original, but then pushing that choice onto the other player packs some player interaction into that concept, while also letting cards that would otherwise be too weak see some play. That's a lot of very nice principles packed into one card! My only concern is that it seems weak to me, though it's hard to judge its strength since it's so different from existing cards.
Runner-up

Observer by X-tra
I'm not sure if I understand this. Do they steal your card after playing it? There's no "leaving it there", but I don't think you would ever buy this (except maybe in big money?) if it meant you'd be handing all your actions out to the next player, so I assume it's not meant to go to the next player. Is it meant to stay in your hand, or go to your play area? Regardless, it seems somewhat political that only one player gets the bonus, and I don't like that it discourages you from getting lots of Actions, but I do kind of like the idea of letting other players play a card from your hand as a penalty on an otherwise strong card.

Regent by D782802859
I really love the elegance of this. It can either be a Smithy, or else a Moat with +$ or +buy; but always (what your opponent judges to be) the worst of those options. I also love conditional +buy, and I think this will make for very interesting games and interesting decisions, and it's a wonderfully simple design.
Runner-up

Fruitcake by Xen3k
Technically doesn't fit the challenge, but fits the spirit of the challenge, so I'll allow it. This is kind of a bizarre hot potato. It gets passed around between the players who have bought the fewest of them all game. I think I like the way it plays out, but not enough to justify all the text and the extra tokens.

Buffoon by Carline
This is like a more interactive variant of Jester, where they choose what they reveal, and you have more options for what to do with it. So I think usually they'll try to reveal middling cards like Silver, so either you give everyone a Silver and a Copper, or else you take +$4. If they reveal a victory card you can gain a copy of it, so there's good options whether they reveal a victory or non-victory card. I think I like this one a lot.
Runner-up

Escrow by Bbobb
The choices are very similar to each other, so it's a much more specific decision for the player to your left than most of the other entrants we've had. Basically they're just judging what they think you want to buy this turn. I think this card is fine, though I'd guess it's pretty weak. It could probably cost $3, maybe $2.

Gangster by LibraryAdventurer
I think this is a fine card, except possibly swingy, which I guess is what the +1 coffers reward is for if they discard a "good" card. But it is somewhat unique, and I could see it being an official card.

There were lots of great submissions this time! Here are my picks:
Runners-up:
4. Buffoon by Carline
3. Regent by D782802859
2. Commune by NoMoreFun
1. Developer by anordinaryman
And the winner is...
0. Fanatic by silverspawn

This was a tough choice, because I really loved all of the runner-ups, but I think Fanatic creates some really fresh and interesting gameplay. Congratulations silverspawn!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7586 on: November 22, 2020, 04:14:08 am »

:D

Thanks! I've really wanted to win one of the WDCs.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7587 on: November 22, 2020, 04:22:52 am »
+2

Contest #96: SOYLENT GREEN IS ACTION CARDS!

Design a card-shaped thing that can eat (i.e., trash) Action cards other than copies of itself from play. (It's fine if it can also trash copies of itself, but it can't only trash those, so Urchin, Death Cart, or Tragic Hero wouldn't qualify.)

Afaik, the only official cards that do this are Improve and Bonfire. A fan-made submission that would qualify is Ritual Sword.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #7588 on: November 22, 2020, 04:38:54 am »

Congratulations to silverspawn and all the runner-ups!

Would Procession qualify for the new contest?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7589 on: November 22, 2020, 05:07:25 am »

Ah, procession.  Yes, it would.

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #7590 on: November 22, 2020, 06:38:55 am »
+1

Engine (Action, $4)

+1 Action

You may trash any number of Action cards you have in play (including this). If you did, +2 Cards per card you trashed.

A Lab variant that lets you draw many cards if you really want to. Just make sure it doesn't run out of fuel...

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #7591 on: November 22, 2020, 07:15:17 am »
+2

Thanks scott_pillgrim for runner-up! Congratulations silverspawn and all the winners!

My entry for new contest:

Gravedigger • •Night

You may trash a card from your hand to gain a card from the trash.
Trash a card you have in play. Per each it costs, draw an extra card for your next hand.

UPDATED TO:

Gravedigger • • Night

Choose one:
Trash a card from your hand to gain a non-Victory card from the trash; or
Trash a card you have in play. Draw as many extra cards to your next hand as it costs. After that, discard that many cards.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 07:04:57 pm by Carline »

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #7592 on: November 22, 2020, 12:20:56 pm »

I don't understand the requirements. How Rats and Death Cart don't qualify while Bonfire does?

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #7593 on: November 22, 2020, 12:28:06 pm »
+3

Death Cart trashes itself and Rats trashes cards in the hand.

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #7594 on: November 22, 2020, 12:56:48 pm »
+1

Overwork
Action-
You may play a non-duration action that you have in play. If you do, trash it and +

My wording may need a fix, and the vanilla bonus may fit better at the start, and independent of playing the action.

Ver 2
Overwork
Action-
You may play a non-duration action that you have in play other than Overwork. If you do, trash it and +
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 08:03:27 pm by LittleFish »

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #7595 on: November 22, 2020, 01:12:25 pm »

Looters - $3
Action - Looter
+1 Villager
+1 Buy
+$1
You may trash an Action card you have in play to gain a Spoils and +1 Card.
----
In games using this, when you buy a Treasure card, gain a Ruins.

Similar to Candlestick Maker only you can collect Villagers. The Villagers and optional trashing are to compensate for the junking that will happen if you buy treasure. Gaining treasure is a way to get around the Ruins so there are viable alternatives. On the other hand you can dive head first into self junking and rely on the Looters to trash the Ruins.

Edit: Updated to specify Action cards you have in play, at Gubump suggestion.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 08:12:53 pm by Xen3k »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #7596 on: November 22, 2020, 05:51:57 pm »

Bodysnatcher • $5 • Night - Attack
Trash a non-Treasure card you have in play. Gain a card with the exact same types as it.

If the gained and trashed cards had different names and this is the first Night card you've played this turn, each other player gains a Silver and a Curse.
The attack is terminal (or, rather, non-repeatable); the remodel isn't. Exact same types means you can't trash Dame Josephine into Dame Molly (Molly lacks the "Victory" type) or vice versa. Non-treasure because copper into gold is too powerful, copper into platinum is right out.

I think it's different enough from changeling that both can exist (and this lets you do bonkers stuff like turn vagrants into princes). It does have the "durations in play" problem, but players aren't complete idiots and can use like mtg-style emblems or something to help remember what they've got going on that isn't there presently.

Judge by spineflu
(I assume the victory type in the card image is meant to be action-attack, as in the text below.) This seems like a bit of a combination between Witch and Courtier, but with another player making the decisions...I think I like it, though there is a lot of text on the card. And the fact that it has two types gives you a consolation prize if drawn dead, and also means it's never strictly worse than Witch. I do think it will generally be worse than Witch though, but Witch is a strong card anyway so I think that's okay.

(yeah the victory type was meant to be action - attack; kinda the problem with working on this + the other contest at the same time, hard to remember to change everything back.)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 05:53:46 pm by spineflu »

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #7597 on: November 22, 2020, 06:04:22 pm »
+1

Observer by X-tra
I'm not sure if I understand this. Do they steal your card after playing it? There's no "leaving it there", but I don't think you would ever buy this (except maybe in big money?) if it meant you'd be handing all your actions out to the next player, so I assume it's not meant to go to the next player. Is it meant to stay in your hand, or go to your play area? Regardless, it seems somewhat political that only one player gets the bonus, and I don't like that it discourages you from getting lots of Actions, but I do kind of like the idea of letting other players play a card from your hand as a penalty on an otherwise strong card.

Thanks for the judging! But uh, yeah. You did kind of misread my card, I suppose. The player from your left plays a card from THEIR hand, not YOUR hand. It's kind of like Sheepdog when someone plays a Witch: you can put your Sheepdog in play (where it stays in play until your next clean-up) even though it isn't your turn. Similarly, Observer makes it so that the player to your left can play one of their Action cards even though it isn't their turn. In practice, most of the time, it won't be too useful for your neighbour... sometimes it's even bad for them (they lose , Buys and Actions the played Action card yield, since it's not their turn and, just like Caravan Guard, these resources vanish before they can use 'em). But sometimes, they can play an Attack in the middle of your turn, like Militia, which can really mess you up. It's pretty versatile, really!

In a game I played with Observer, the player to my left played an Observer in response to my own Observer, which made me also immediately play another Action even though I was out of Actions! It was pretty funny. :)
Bottom text

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #7598 on: November 22, 2020, 06:55:10 pm »
+1

Plagued Village
cost $4 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Action
You may trash an Action card you have in play, for +1 Card and +1 Buy.

Ruinkiller.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #7599 on: November 22, 2020, 07:35:32 pm »
+1

Looters - $3
Action - Looter
+1 Villager
+1 Buy
+$1
You may trash an Action card in play for +1 Card and gain a Spoils.
----
In games using this, when you buy a Treasure card, gain a Ruins.

Similar to Candlestick Maker only you can collect Villagers. The Villagers and optional trashing are to compensate for the junking that will happen if you buy treasure. Gaining treasure is a way to get around the Ruins so there are viable alternatives. On the other hand you can dive head first into self junking and rely on the Looters to trash the Ruins.

This needs to specify "an Action card you have in play."

Overwork
Action-
You may play a non-duration action that you have in play. If you do, trash it and +
My wording may need a fix, and the vanilla bonus may fit better at the start, and independent of playing the action.

As worded, since the replaying occurs before the trashing, you can get infinite from an Overwork by constantly replaying itself (the + is based only on being able to play it, not trashing it).
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 21 queries.