Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546226 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #7500 on: November 14, 2020, 06:14:47 pm »
+1

Investor - Action
+1 Buy
+
The player to your left names a cost greater than
. Gain a card that costs equal or less than the named cost. The player to your left takes Coffers equal to half the amount of  in the cost they named.

With no upper bound, couldn't they name Graham's number? Sure you'd get a province, but they'd have unlimited money for the rest of the game.

Yeah, this appears flawed.

Even without that upper bound issue; the card seems like a weaker version of Woodcutter... the player just names “$2”, and you’re stuck with a bad card you don’t want while they get a free Coffer.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 06:16:39 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #7501 on: November 14, 2020, 07:07:09 pm »

Investor - Action
+1 Buy
+
The player to your left names a cost greater than
and less than . Gain a card that costs equal or less than the named cost. The player to your left takes Coffers equal to half the amount of  in the cost they named.
thanks for all the feedback. I've adjusted the original post again, and quoted it above

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #7502 on: November 14, 2020, 07:14:20 pm »

Judge • $5 • Action - Attack
+2 Cards
Reveal a card from your hand. For each type it has, the player to your left chooses a different option:

Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand: gains a Curse; gains a Copper; discards a card; or places a card from their hand on top of their deck.

Sorry the text on-card got a little small there. Torturer but one person hoses the rest of the table, and it's potentially an "and" rather than an "or". Having fewer than three cards in hand does let you dodge the Curse/Copper gain though. The "each other player" applies to everyone who isn't playing this card, not everyone who isn't choosing options on this card (so, like every other attack card).
so-titled because i had to judge the judge contest so i've never gotten to make one.

Contest #94: Pure Victory card (with no other types)
[ ... ]
Bog by spineflu
Not much to say here, I read it as an IGG fix. Hey, does IGG need a fix?
Well, it is totally subjective, I loate IGG rushes and this looks like a less crazy version of it.
I also love putting the extra Buy to a Victory card.
[ ... ]

it does have one major difference on IGG tho, it can't empty the Curses in 2-player, which makes it harder for 3piling than a comparable IGG game.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 01:24:18 pm by spineflu »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #7503 on: November 15, 2020, 12:40:36 am »
+2

Commune
Action - $4
+2 Actions
Choose one: Draw until you have as many cards in your hand as the player to your left, or +$2 and each other player draws a card.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 08:44:38 pm by NoMoreFun »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #7504 on: November 15, 2020, 04:22:51 am »

Commune
Action - $4
+2 Actions
Choose one: Draw until you have as many cards in your hand as the player to your left, or +2 Cards and each other player draws a card.
This is cool, but it would have greater self-synergy if the second option wouldn't draw you cards but do something else instead.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #7505 on: November 15, 2020, 04:55:25 am »
+1

Council
cost $5 - Action
The player to your both side reveals a card from their hand, at once. You may gain a copy of the revealed cards. If you do, the player who revealed a copy of it takes 2 Coffers. Otherwise, +2 Coffers.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 05:00:16 am by majiponi »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #7506 on: November 15, 2020, 05:29:50 am »

Do people like smugglers? I have the card banned. Ime, cards that punish you for doing good stuff with your deck (possession, smugglers, goatherd, masquerade), are among the most unfun things in dominion.

Plenty of submissions so far don't work like that, but just throwing that out there. If you share my dislike of the aforemsntioned cards, don't accidentally design a similar mechanic. It's part of the natural design space given the current theme.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #7507 on: November 15, 2020, 05:44:02 am »

Council
cost $5 - Action
The player to your both side reveals a card from their hand, at once. You may gain a copy of the revealed cards. If you do, the player who revealed a copy of it takes 2 Coffers. Otherwise, +2 Coffers.

If I understand the card correctly, I think it doesn't work; the English wording and concept-wise.

The wording could be something like:
The players to your left and to your right reveal a card
from their hand, at once. You may gain a copy of a
revealed card. If you do, the player who revealed the
card takes 2 Coffers. Otherwise, +2 Coffers.

Still a bit odd and not 100% consistent with the requirements of the contest as there is an "s" in "players" instead of "the player to your".
For the concept, in a 3+ player game, no matter what the neighbors show (except Province or so), the player could always choose not to gain a copy and would take 4 Coffers. Is that right?

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7508 on: November 15, 2020, 06:05:20 am »
+1

+2 Cards
Reveal a card from your hand. For each type it has, the player to your left chooses one:
Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand:
...gains a Curse;
...gains a Copper;
...discards a card; or
...places a card from their hand on top of their deck.

Sorry the text on-card got a little small there. Torturer but one person hoses the rest of the table, and it's potentially an "and" rather than an "or". Having fewer than three cards in hand does let you dodge the Curse/Copper gain though. The "each other player" applies to everyone who isn't playing this card, not everyone who isn't choosing options on this card (so, like every other attack card).
so-titled because i had to judge the judge contest so i've never gotten to make one.

Can the player to the left choose the same option more than once?

Aside of that I think you can get a larger font if you combine the different options a la Scrap:

gains a Curse; gains a Copper; discards a card;
places a card from their hand on top of their deck.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 06:08:14 am by gambit05 »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #7509 on: November 15, 2020, 06:17:35 am »

+2 Cards
Reveal a card from your hand. For each type it has, the player to your left chooses one:
...gains a Curse;
...gains a Copper;
...discards a card; or
...places a card from their hand on top of their deck.

Can the player to the left choose the same option more than once?

Aside of that I think you can get a larger font if you combine the different options a la Scrap:

gains a Curse; gains a Copper; discards a card;
places a card from their hand on top of their deck.
no, i'll change that out for "chooses a different one:" and your wording, ty!

Do people like smugglers? I have the card banned. Ime, cards that punish you for doing good stuff with your deck (possession, smugglers, goatherd, masquerade), are among the most unfun things in dominion.

Plenty of submissions so far don't work like that, but just throwing that out there. If you share my dislike of the aforemsntioned cards, don't accidentally design a similar mechanic. It's part of the natural design space given the current theme.
i think smugglers is fine, the piggybacking variety of cards actually makes things interesting and, yknow, not multiplayer solitaire.

My banlist is cards that either make the game monotonic (rebuild) or provide a degree of randomness that makes the game unfun (swindler, wall [since trashing isnt guaranteed to show up]), or dont change the game in any meaningful way (quest). i think the only one i agree with you here on is possession, but for me thats mostly because d.g's implementation handles the event logging for it so badly.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 06:28:24 am by spineflu »

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #7510 on: November 15, 2020, 08:11:49 am »

Council
cost $5 - Action

If I understand the card correctly, I think it doesn't work; the English wording and concept-wise.

The wording could be something like:
revealed card. If you do, the player who revealed the

Still a bit odd and not 100% consistent with the requirements of the contest as there is an "s" in "players" instead of "the player to your".
For the concept, in a 3+ player game, no matter what the neighbors show (except Province or so), the player could always choose not to gain a copy and would take 4 Coffers. Is that right?

Oh, I failed to rephrase.  I meant to say "+2 Coffers, or gain one of the revealed cards, giving the friendly opponent +2 Coffers." +4 Coffers is not intended.
I also noticed gaining option is too weak. Even if my opponent reveals Gold, giving +2 Coffers is a huge penalty. Maybe gaining to hand is nice.

revealed card to your hand. If you do, the player who revealed the

Maybe saying "each other player" is nice, but it bumps up the power too much.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 08:22:15 am by majiponi »

chronostrike

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #7511 on: November 15, 2020, 08:32:38 am »
+1

Extortionist - $5
Action - Attack

The player to your left chooses one of the following for you:
+3 cards, and each other player takes @1; or +$3, and each other player with 4 or more cards in hand discards a card.
Bringing this concept back since fixing it made it ineligible for the last contest I used it in.

Also, why is the font different?  I don't see any option to change the font on the card generator.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7512 on: November 15, 2020, 08:42:13 am »

Also, why is the font different?  I don't see any option to change the font on the card generator.

That happened to me a few times as well. I think it is when I have bad internet connection and then the page doesn't load all its features. Have you tried to reload the page?

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #7513 on: November 15, 2020, 11:25:51 am »

Draper
Types: Action
Cost: $3
+1 Buy, +$1. If the player to your right gained exactly 1 card on their previous turn: +2 Coffers.
It is true that Draper is much weaker than Candlestick Maker if the player to your right gains 0 or multiple cards on their turn, but opening with Draper is strong because chances are high to get its Coffers.  How many times does Draper need to proc to be worth opening with an Herbalist?
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #7514 on: November 15, 2020, 12:22:52 pm »

Surveyor
Action - Fate
+1 card
+1 action

Reveal the top three boons. The player to your right chooses one for you to discard. Receive the other two.

Quote from: old

Repossess
Action - Duration
Now and at the start of your next turn, +1 Coffers.
The player to your left takes an extra turn after this one. During that turn, whenever that player gains a card, you may gain a copy of it.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 09:08:09 pm by Doom_Shark »
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #7515 on: November 15, 2020, 03:13:42 pm »
+1

Councillor - Action, $4 cost.
Reveal your hand; the player to your right chooses a card for you to discard. If you discard a card, + $4.
+ $4 minus your best card in hand at the time you play it. Is $4 enough of a bonus?
I think $4 is good bonus, but the "if you discard" could make people think the discard is optional. You might want to make it clearer.

Like this?
Reveal your hand; the player to your right chooses one of the cards. You may discard it for + $4.
Now the discard is optional, but eh, to what consequence?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7516 on: November 15, 2020, 03:26:04 pm »
+2

Repossess
Action - Duration
The player to your left takes an extra turn after this one. During that turn, whenever that player gains a card, you may gain a copy of it.

Wait, what?

In 2p, the card is almost strictly worse than just gaining coin tokens since your opponent can choose not to gain cards. In 3p, it's arguably pretty good for you and that person, which makes it the most political thing ever.

Did you intend for this to help you more than your opponent?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 12:08:23 pm by silverspawn »

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7517 on: November 15, 2020, 03:47:04 pm »
+2

My Submission:

Atlantis
$4 – Action
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
The player to your right
gains this.
----------------------------
When you buy this and
when scoring, +1VP.

In case anyone is wondering, the shield icons in the top corners serve as visual aids and as a reminder that Atlantis in the players decks scores VP at the end of the game.

chronostrike

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #7518 on: November 15, 2020, 08:29:04 pm »
+3

My Submission:

Atlantis
$4 – Action
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
The player to your right
gains this.
When you buy this and
when scoring, +1VP.

In case anyone is wondering, the shield icons in the top corners serve as visual aids and as a reminder that Atlantis in the players decks scores VP at the end of the game.

This card would be much more straightforward as an action/victory worth 1 VP.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #7519 on: November 15, 2020, 09:40:20 pm »
+1

My Submission:

Atlantis
$4 – Action
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
The player to your right
gains this.
When you buy this and
when scoring, +1VP.

I think the reason they're avoiding that is because then it would need two horizontal lines:

Action effect

When you Buy this, +1.

All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #7520 on: November 15, 2020, 10:22:17 pm »
+1

My Submission:

Atlantis
$4 – Action
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
The player to your right
gains this.
When you buy this and
when scoring, +1VP.

I think the reason they're avoiding that is because then it would need two horizontal lines:

Action effect

When you Buy this, +1.

Are they supposed to gain an Atlantis, or gain the one that was in play? It may be better to have "return this to the supply, the player to your right gains an Atlantis" and possibly make it an attack.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7521 on: November 16, 2020, 04:52:45 am »

Atlantis
$4 – Action
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
The player to your right
gains this.
When you buy this and
when scoring, +1VP.

That actually was my initial idea, i.e. if you meant:
Action text
-----------------
w/o an on-buy effect.

The obvious idea of both versions is to combine a strong ability with the incentive not to play the card at a certain point later in the game because of the . After starting with the Action – Victory version shown above, I thought that the player who buys Atlantis needs a bonus since otherwise the other players would get the strong card without the need to buy it. This in turn could lead to a stalemate were nobody buys it. This can be avoided when the buying player gets a bonus; therefore the on-buy +1.

Now, if the card would just be
Action text
-----------------
On-buy +1

Atlantis cards would be played and “passed” till the end of the game without any consequences, which doesn’t look interesting to me. Therefore, I gave the card 1 when scoring, which means that at a certain point during the game, players have to make the decision whether to play it and lose the , or whether it is better not to play it in order to keep the . (By the way, it is passed to the right because that player has a lower chance to end the game at that point.)

In summary, the way I see it:
The players need an incentive to buy Atlantis (i.e. an on-buy effect).
The players need an incentive to play (and “pass”) the card (i.e. a strong ability).
The players need an incentive not to play the card near the end of the game (i.e. scoring).

Action effect

When you Buy this, +1.

Exactly. This would be the alternative with the same effect, which however doesn't look better.

Are they supposed to gain an Atlantis, or gain the one that was in play? It may be better to have "return this to the supply, the player to your right gains an Atlantis" and possibly make it an attack.

I think the wording is simple and unambiguous, i.e. "this" means exactly this very card that has been played.
Why do you think this should be an Attack?

Well, thank you all for your comments. If anyone can convince me that a simpler version, e.g. like that one chronostrike suggested, is better, please feel free to make any further suggestions. I think the critical points of what I want to deliver with this card are summarized above (highlighted in blue).

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7522 on: November 16, 2020, 05:34:51 am »

Reveal your hand; the player to your right chooses a card for you to discard. If you discard a card, + $4.
+ $4 minus your best card in hand at the time you play it. Is $4 enough of a bonus?
I think $4 is good bonus, but the "if you discard" could make people think the discard is optional. You might want to make it clearer.

Like this?
Reveal your hand; the player to your right chooses one of the cards. You may discard it for + $4.
Now the discard is optional, but eh, to what consequence?

I think the biggest problem with the original wording "...chooses a card for you to discard. If you discard a card, + $4" is the "a". This implies that it doesn't matter which card the other player chose, just discarding any card would give +$4.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7523 on: November 16, 2020, 05:47:05 am »

Repossess
Action - Duration

Wait, what?

In 2p, the card is almost strictly worse than just gaining coppers since your opponent can choose not to gain cards. In 3p, it's arguably pretty good for you and that person, which makes it the most political thing ever.

Did you intend for this to help you more than your opponent?

I think the card could work if it would be just the regular turn of the other player ... but then, it may be difficult to keep the wording "The player to your", which is the requirement for this contest.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7524 on: November 16, 2020, 05:51:12 am »
+3

Does not overrule ways.
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 21 queries.