Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546372 times)

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #7425 on: November 02, 2020, 07:33:13 pm »
+3

Escape Artist
Types: Action
Cost: $2
Exile a Treasure from the Supply.
When you discard this from play, you may return this to the Supply. If you do, choose one: Exile up to 3 cards from your hand; or Exile a Curse, a Duchy, and a copy of a card you have in play from the Supply.
Escape Artist is a one-shot Exiler, either exiling a large number of cards from your hand or netting +2VP from the Supply while copying a valuable card you have in play.  It goes back to the Supply so all players can use it as a mass-Exiler in multiplayer games and it won't arbitrarily drain piles (as in, including itself) in circumstances where it is strong.

Note its primary ability triggers when discarded from play, so that 1) You can use it to Exile from the Supply copies of Treasures you play, 2) Escape Artist thematically can't be fooled by Enchantress or Ways, and 3) Escape Artist can't be freely emulated and copied (by Necromancer or Band of Misfits or Throne Room) so its +2VP option is more expensive.

HISTORY
Added an on-play effect for clarity and it marginally reduces the delta of its strength in games with and without Ways.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 06:19:39 pm by Fragasnap »
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #7426 on: November 03, 2020, 06:09:35 pm »
+3

Escape Artist thematically can't be fooled by Enchantress

The text in Escape Artist is a play instruction you execute when discard or a discard instruction? in the latter case, the text needs to be under a dividing line, doesn't?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 02:42:23 am by Carline »

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7427 on: November 04, 2020, 02:39:21 am »
+1

I think there would be a big advantage for the first player to align it with a strong attack like Mountebank or Witch.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #7428 on: November 04, 2020, 09:12:27 am »
+2

I think there would be a big advantage for the first player to align it with a strong attack like Mountebank or Witch.

play Bridge
play HM-HM-Workshop(2HMs,2Workshops)-Workshop(Smithy,any 3)-Smithy-HM-...

Easy to loop. Not infinite, but insane.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #7429 on: November 04, 2020, 10:36:06 am »

Well, since people didn't like it anyway, I think I'll just have the broken card as this week's entry. I'll make a non-broken card next time.

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #7430 on: November 04, 2020, 12:13:31 pm »
+1

Entries will close in 24 hours.

Rhodos

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: Card Master
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7431 on: November 04, 2020, 02:39:44 pm »
+1

Rosary
Types: Action
Cost: $3
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may trash a card from your hand. If you do: +1 Card per $ it costs and return this to the Supply.

Wanted to do a card with optional Exil for benefit for some time. Due to contests theme, it returns to the pile now.

I wanted to do something, that gives you extra draw or actions for returning it, in case you need it. Could be a way to accelerate your early turns or a backup for bad turns. Then I thought of all the matches where one player connects his trasher with the right target and the other does not. (Just think of the difference between trashing an Estate/ a Copper with any TfB like say Salvager). With Rosary this situation is less critical, as a cantrip it replaces itself if not hitting and the one that hits is gone thereafter.

Although it returns itself, I think it can do similiar things to Apprentice. Maybe the only way to draw is to gain Rosary and Gold, and then trash Gold to Rosary. I like when you have to consider these alternative ways to get draw or whatever :D

EDIT: It now returns itself immediately instead of at the Clean-up.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 05:58:17 pm by Rhodos »

Rhodos

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7432 on: November 04, 2020, 02:42:17 pm »

Thoughts on the setting aside first instead of immediately returning it? The latter would make it less wordy, which would be nice.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #7433 on: November 04, 2020, 03:11:33 pm »
+1

Thoughts on the setting aside first instead of immediately returning it? The latter would make it less wordy, which would be nice.

I see no problem in returning Rosary immediately. Encampment is set aside to allow easier access to Plunder, the bottom half of its split pile, as far as I see it.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #7434 on: November 04, 2020, 04:38:24 pm »
+1

Assistant
Action - $5
+3 Cards
You may gain an Assistant. If you didn't, return this to its pile.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #7435 on: November 04, 2020, 05:42:21 pm »
+1

I see no problem in returning Rosary immediately. Encampment is set aside to allow easier access to Plunder, the bottom half of its split pile, as far as I see it.
The other aspect is to make it ungainable during the turn. This is no issue with Rosary at all so I also think that it can be returned immediately.

Rhodos

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7436 on: November 04, 2020, 05:57:56 pm »

Thanks for your answers! I changed the card accordingly, simpler is always better.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #7437 on: November 04, 2020, 06:49:32 pm »
+1

The text in Escape Artist is a play instruction you execute when discard or a discard instruction? in the latter case, the text needs to be under a dividing line, doesn't?
Scheme (in its 1st edition printing) and Improve have an "at the start of Clean-Up" wording because their Actions setup a thing (technical term, "thing" per Scrap).  Escape Artist shares the wording with Alchemist and Treasury of "when you discard this from play" as a thing triggered at a time other than playing it which is why it happens in the case of Enchantress or Ways.  Escape Artist does not have a dividing line like Alchemist or Treasury though because it does nothing (intrinsically) when you play it.
If that is so confusing, I could slap some weak Action thing on it to justify the dividing line.  It looks pretty crowded with even merely +$1 on it, though.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #7438 on: November 04, 2020, 07:02:25 pm »
+1

Tobacco Box - $1
Treasure
Heirloom: Old Pipe
+1 Coffers
Return this to the Supply.

Old Pipe - $3
Treasure - Heirloom
+1 Buy
This turn, Treasure cards (everywhere) cost $1 less.
You may trash a non-Victory card from your hand. If you do, gain a card of equal cost.

A treasure that has a treasure heirloom! Tobacco Box is not an amazing card, but the heirloom lets you remodel Copper into them and allows you to pick up one with its extra buy. Not sure how appealing or interesting this idea is to people. Feedback is welcome.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 07:14:56 pm by Xen3k »

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7439 on: November 04, 2020, 09:54:12 pm »
+2

Scheme (in its 1st edition printing) and Improve have an "at the start of Clean-Up" wording because their Actions setup a thing (technical term, "thing" per Scrap).  Escape Artist shares the wording with Alchemist and Treasury of "when you discard this from play" as a thing triggered at a time other than playing it which is why it happens in the case of Enchantress or Ways.  Escape Artist does not have a dividing line like Alchemist or Treasury though because it does nothing (intrinsically) when you play it.
If that is so confusing, I could slap some weak Action thing on it to justify the dividing line.  It looks pretty crowded with even merely +$1 on it, though.

To me it's a bit confusing, as the text in every Action card without a dividing line is a play instruction.

There's a consequence of its function not being affected by Ways, which I don't know if it's a problem. With the following Ways it would be an automatic decision to play Escape Artist using the Way: Camel, Monkey, Mule, Ox, Pig, Seal, Sheep, Squirrel and Worm. With Otter and Owl, it would be almost automatic.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7440 on: November 04, 2020, 10:07:11 pm »
+1

Well, since people didn't like it anyway, I think I'll just have the broken card as this week's entry. I'll make a non-broken card next time.

I like your card. I just think it could be overpowered with Attack cards. Maybe it could be more well balanced if it plays only non-Attacks or have its cost increased.

mandioca15

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7441 on: November 05, 2020, 12:11:46 pm »
+2

Entries are now closed. I hope to post results within the next day or so.

mandioca15

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7442 on: November 06, 2020, 11:21:10 am »
+6

Contest #93 Results

Firstly, thank you all for your entries. I had a lot of fun reading through them and thinking about their merits and demerits. Feel free to disagree with any or all of my analysis below.

Haunted Mansion (silverspawn)

A one-shot King’s Court-plus. While I have often wondered what a card would cost that allows you to play a card four times ($10?), this version feels rather swingy. If you line up a junking attack with this early on, it’s essentially game over. It also feels harsh that you lose your payload card too. I feel there is a good idea here, but it needs development (perhaps it could cost less, or retain the payload card, or play the card fewer times).

Hacienda (spineflu)

This follows in the footsteps of Villa and Cavalry in allowing you to switch turn phases. This one is unique, as it’s a Treasure that allows this. It is a nice effect - similar to Toil. It does feel pricy at $5, though, as you only get to use it once. I feel this might work better as a $4. If you don’t use the effect, it’s basically a tall Silver. Again, I like the idea, but some development is required.

Golden Spoils (Carline)

An inverse Fool’s Gold, as you don’t want to play more than one of these. Unless you can exert some kind of control over when you draw these or you need the buys, you’d probably only ever buy one, as a solitary Golden Spoils is better than Gold. Once you have one, getting Gold becomes easier. It’s a tricky balancing act. Overall, though, I like it, as I like Fool’s Gold.

Mail (grep)

An Ambassador-lite, almost. This is a cheap and accessible way of getting rid of cards you don’t want. I like the fact that it costs $1, for the reasons outlined in the original post, plus the fact that it’s another $1 card (we only have Poor House for that at present). In a game with trashing, you’d probably ignore this, so it does feel quite niche.

Mapmaker/Map (D782802859)

A Smithy that effectively gains itself, but as one shots. This feels similar to Lackeys, with a step up. It’s simple but effective. I like this concept.

Mountaineer (pubby)

A double Hireling that sticks around until you turn to green. This allows you to power up your deck effectively. It feels very powerful, even after being edited. I do like the strategic idea of having a useful resource that you need to blow up at some point - you have to decide when to do so. It still feels like there are many Kingdoms where this would be overpowered, so some development might be needed.

Clue/Hideaway (Aquila)

Another Fool’s Gold variant, this time paired with a gainer. Having the buy is necessary if you are to ever uncover the Hideaways. I haven’t played with Nocturne, so I’m not sure how good Hideway is, but it looks like a nice card. Overall, this feels like a good entry.

Cargo (segura)

A limited Lost City variant that gives you a reasonable consolation prize if they run out on your turn. This feels like an attempt to turn Artifacts into cards. I like the strategic idea of having a smaller number of relatively powerful cards to fight over. This is a good entry. This is the kind of idea I’d like to see developed into other cards, as I feel it has a lot of merit.

Quay/Cart (gambit05)

I liked Cart upon seeing it in a previous contest, so I’m glad to see it make a reappearance. It’s pretty powerful, but that’s fine, as it’s a one-shot. Quay looks simple and nice, and makes use of the debt mechanic, which was underused in Empires in my opinion. Overall, this is a nice package.

Escape Artist (Fragasnap)

A Camel Train variant that also allows you to exile cards during Cleanup, either from your hand or from the Supply. I liked the initial idea of having an Action card that did nothing upon playing it, but I’m glad you added an above-the-line effect to stop confusion. This feels very useful without being overpowered, so I like it.

Rosary (Rhodos)

A cantrip that allows you to go big with your draws when the time is right. It has a similar effect to Research. Again, deciding when to blow something up is a fun part of the game for me, so I like this card: simple, yet effective.

Assistant (NoMoreFun)

A self-gaining Smithy that eventually runs out of steam. Another simple yet effective card that I like. You probably don’t want loads of these, so there is a balancing act in deciding where to draw the line.

Tobacco Box/Old Pipe (Xen3k)

A Heirloom that acts as a Quarry for Treasures. Interesting to see a Treasure that allows trashing. Tobacco Box feels a little underwhelming - Ducat seems to accomplish this idea better. I think I would like this if Tobacco Box did more things.

Determining the winner was difficult, as there are some excellent cards here.

Runners-up: Rosary (Rhodos), Quay/Cart (gambit05), Golden Spoils (Carline)
Winner: Cargo (segura)

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #7443 on: November 06, 2020, 04:32:02 pm »
+4

Many thanks mandioca15! Excellent work indeed. I hope you enjoyed the cards and to evaluate them. Of course congratulations to segura for the win and Carline and Rhodos for the Runner ups. All nice and interesting cards.

Rhodos

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7444 on: November 06, 2020, 04:51:23 pm »
+4

Wuuhuu Runners up. That's great ;D

Thanks mandioca15 and congrats to segura!

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7445 on: November 06, 2020, 04:54:10 pm »
+4

mandioca15, I think you judged very well and did good comparisons with existing cards. Probably you are better judge and better player than you think. Thanks for runner-up. Congratulations to all winners!

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #7446 on: November 07, 2020, 03:16:51 am »
+2

Thansk mandioca15! My card was more of a rough sketch of GendoIkari's idea than a well designed card so I am surprised and humbled by the win.

Contest #94:

Man, with all those Courtiers wooing Dama Josephine right now, don't you also yearn for the simpler days when we spent our afternoons strolling in the Gardens?

Design a pure Victory card, i.e. a Victory card with no other types. This is the only restriction, it can feature all kinds of mechanics (e.g. the card could have a when gain trigger with Villagers).

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #7447 on: November 07, 2020, 09:02:54 am »
+1

Green
cost $4 - Victory
Worth 1vp per a Resident card you have.
---
When you gain this, you may move your Resident token to an Action Supply pile. Cards from that pile are Resident cards.

EDIT: Renamed Green cards to Resident cards.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 01:05:01 am by majiponi »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7448 on: November 07, 2020, 10:06:01 am »
+1

^ That's... a bit confusing because Victory cards are green At first, I thought it just counted all victory cards, then that it counted victory cards + cards with the token. I would avoid that name.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7449 on: November 07, 2020, 10:24:13 am »
+5

Submission (Rice Paddy):

Drawing works like with Way of the Squirrel.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 02:41:16 pm by silverspawn »
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.