Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546344 times)

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #7400 on: October 29, 2020, 07:11:04 pm »
+4

Golden Spoils • $5 • Treasure

-
If this is not the first Golden Spoils played this turn, +1 buy and return this to the Supply.

First one played in a turn is a Gold, the following ones are Spoils with an extra buy.

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #7401 on: October 30, 2020, 02:38:53 pm »
+5

Mail
$1 - Action
+1 Action
Return this and another card from your hand to the Supply.
-
When you buy this, if it's the first buy this turn, +1 Buy.
A cheap one shot pseudo-trasher. $1 cost to have extra fun with Remake and Transmogrify, and to be more accessible at startup

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #7402 on: October 30, 2020, 10:30:16 pm »
+4

A two-shot Smithy, with a  small twist.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #7403 on: October 30, 2020, 10:46:21 pm »
+3

A super hireling that gets bad eventually.

Edit: updated
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 10:25:08 am by pubby »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #7404 on: October 31, 2020, 02:19:02 am »
+1

A super hireling that gets bad eventually.

There's a problem with this: There's no rule saying that Durations have to stay in play to keep their effects going, so you could return a Mountaineer to the Supply and its effect would still keep triggering every turn. Unless this is intended (which I'd assume it's not), it should say something like "at the start of each of your turns that this remains in play:"
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #7405 on: October 31, 2020, 04:29:05 am »

The bigger problem is the frequency of boards on which the penalty doesn't matter

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #7406 on: October 31, 2020, 04:54:03 am »
+2

I think that the card is far too strong. In engines and slogs and with Landmarks it is a no-brainer, so it might only suck in money Kingdoms.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #7407 on: October 31, 2020, 10:27:42 am »

I nerfed it slightly, but I do want to keep some of its craziness.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #7408 on: October 31, 2020, 11:25:05 am »
+2

I nerfed it slightly, but I do want to keep some of its craziness.

The wording looks a bit awful to me. How about this:

Until this leaves play, at the
start of each of your turns:
+2 Cards.
--------------------------
When you buy a Victory card
or take VP tokens, return this
to the Supply.

I think the "stays in play" part is more confusing than helpful. While I cared more about the wording than the functionality, this change would make the card more powerful.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #7409 on: October 31, 2020, 01:11:44 pm »
+1

There are some nice entries already! Here's a split pile:
Clue - Treasure, $1* cost.
$1
+ $1 per Clue you have in play. At Clean-up, return this to the Supply.
-
This can't cost less than $1. When you buy this, +1 Buy.
Hideaway - Night, $6 cost.
Gain a card costing up to how much $ you have unspent, or if this is your only Hideaway in play, one costing up to $3 more.
5 Clues on top of 5 Hideaways.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 04:20:19 pm by Aquila »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7410 on: October 31, 2020, 01:20:07 pm »

Isn't hideaway the most useless thing ever? It allows you to turn x$ into x clues, which you can do anyway with clues on-buy ability. I might be misunderstanding how it works.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #7411 on: October 31, 2020, 01:46:13 pm »
+2

Isn't hideaway the most useless thing ever? It allows you to turn x$ into x clues, which you can do anyway with clues on-buy ability. I might be misunderstanding how it works.

I think you're misreading it - you don't gain x cards, you gain 1 card (will value up to $x).

Seems like with one hideaway, it's effectively +1 Buy. With multiple you get to repeat using that unspent $.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Aquila

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7412 on: October 31, 2020, 01:49:06 pm »
+2

One by itself is just a non-terminal +buy, but the ones played after that can each be like Fortunes; if you have $8, buy nothing and play 2 Hideaways, that's 2 Provinces. Of course that could be very weak and it might need to be 'gain a card costing up to $2 + $1 ...' or something. Or it's too crazy with Clues.

Ninja'ed, what scolapasta said.

Edit: I see how the wording is confusing now, maybe 'gain a card costing up to how much unspent $ you have'?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 01:52:07 pm by Aquila »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7413 on: October 31, 2020, 04:10:07 pm »

Edit: I see how the wording is confusing now, maybe 'gain a card costing up to how much unspent $ you have'?

I did misread it in exactly the way scholapasta guessed, and yes, I think that phrasing would fix it. You could also say 'at most as much as you have unspent $'.

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #7414 on: November 01, 2020, 01:12:22 am »
+2

Clue - Treasure, $1* cost.
$1
+ $1 per Clue you have in play. At Clean-up, return this to the Supply.
-
This can't cost less than $1. When you buy this, +1 Buy.
Gain a card costing up to how much $ you have unspent.

I think only one Hideaway is worse than Market Square or Candlestick Maker, except for never being drawn dead. So, it’s good only if you have two or more. However, it’s not so easy to buy two or more Hideaways because Clues are returning to the top of the pile.

If you gain two Hideaways and use them to gain extra cards that cost $6 or less, only after the third card gained this way you have some gain, since the first two you would buy anyway instead of those Hideaways (and already play them in the turn you would gain them with Hideaways). As the game probably would be more near the to end when you gain your second Hideaway, maybe there’s not much time to do the trick three times or more.

So Hideaway seems to me to be a kind of an expensive and hard to trigger Duplicate, specific for $7 cost cards, Provinces, Platina and Colonies. For $7 cost cards and Platinum, if you have one in play, it’s easier to gain another with Changeling.

Also, there's a multiplayer issue: only two players can have more than one Hideaway, which doesn't seem too fair for a card that does its best only in pairs or multiples.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7415 on: November 01, 2020, 04:29:49 am »
+2

I don't have a specific idea, but a general concept to throw out that I think might be cool to see done.

A non-supply card that only has 1 copy in the pile. Or possible only 1 per player if that works better. Of course it would return itself to its pile when played, along with some other effect that's powerful enough that players won't want to just gain it and then keep in in their deck forever without playing it. It would add some tension similar to what Lurker does.
I think that this is a cool idea and here is a variation of it. Not sure about the scaling, I'd first try it with 2 copies per player.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 01:12:08 am by segura »

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7416 on: November 01, 2020, 04:02:57 pm »

My submission:

Quay
$4 – Action - Duration

+2 Cards

At the start of your next
        turn, choose one: Take 1 Debt         
for +2 Cards; or exchange
this for a Cart to your hand.

Cart
$3* - Action

+2 Actions
+$2

+1 Card per empty pile.
Return this to its pile.

(This is not in the Supply.)             

I have recently introduced Cart and some cards gaining it here.

Two things important about Cart:

1) Any empty pile counts for the drawing capacity, not only Supply piles.

2) The Cart pile is supposed to be limited, i.e. there should be a reasonable chance that the pile is temporarily empty during a game. The current setting is 6 Carts for 2 players, plus 2 for each additional player. However, to determine the numbers that are the most interesting ones requires some play testing.

Aquila

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7417 on: November 01, 2020, 04:17:02 pm »
+1

Gain a card costing up to how much $ you have unspent.

I think only one Hideaway is worse than Market Square or Candlestick Maker, except for never being drawn dead. So, it’s good only if you have two or more. However, it’s not so easy to buy two or more Hideaways because Clues are returning to the top of the pile.

If you gain two Hideaways and use them to gain extra cards that cost $6 or less, only after the third card gained this way you have some gain, since the first two you would buy anyway instead of those Hideaways (and already play them in the turn you would gain them with Hideaways). As the game probably would be more near the to end when you gain your second Hideaway, maybe there’s not much time to do the trick three times or more.

So Hideaway seems to me to be a kind of an expensive and hard to trigger Duplicate, specific for $7 cost cards, Provinces, Platina and Colonies. For $7 cost cards and Platinum, if you have one in play, it’s easier to gain another with Changeling.

Also, there's a multiplayer issue: only two players can have more than one Hideaway, which doesn't seem too fair for a card that does its best only in pairs or multiples.
Yes, thanks for all of this. I've added 'or if you have no other Hideaways in play, one costing up to $3 more', so the first one is a Gold with a mandatory +buy.

I don't have a specific idea, but a general concept to throw out that I think might be cool to see done.

A non-supply card that only has 1 copy in the pile. Or possible only 1 per player if that works better. Of course it would return itself to its pile when played, along with some other effect that's powerful enough that players won't want to just gain it and then keep in in their deck forever without playing it. It would add some tension similar to what Lurker does.
I think that this is a cool idea and here is a variation of it. Not sure about the scaling, I'd first try it with 2 copies per player.

It's good that this can become a Silver when there are no cheaper Actions, but shouldn't this specify non-Duration as there's nothing in play to track them? Changing a lost city to a weak terminal when the pile empties is certainly a harsh loss, so it's interactive to be sure, but maybe too harsh?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 04:21:05 pm by Aquila »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #7418 on: November 01, 2020, 07:49:51 pm »

When new BoM plays a Duration card, the BoM stays in play for tracking, so this would as well.

Though I am not completely exactly what the rule that makes this happens states / how it is worded. In the errata thread Donald said it “ These rules apply to all of the cards that play cards without putting them into play: currently, Band of Misfits, Overlord, Inheritance, Necromancer, and Captain.”

The question is what is the wording that makes it apply to those cards but not to Vassal.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 07:52:22 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7419 on: November 02, 2020, 01:03:22 am »

It's good that this can become a Silver when there are no cheaper Actions, but shouldn't this specify non-Duration as there's nothing in play to track them? Changing a lost city to a weak terminal when the pile empties is certainly a harsh loss, so it's interactive to be sure, but maybe too harsh?
Thanks for the feedback, I'll post a fixed version.
I wasn't sure about whether this should say "Treasure or Action card" as it is implicitly clear that you cannot play a Victory or Curse (it would become too wordy if it would have to specify that).

About the power level, I have no idea but a benchmark is that two copies, with the first one being returned and nothing better in the Supply for it to emulate but Silver, is equal to two Peddlers.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7420 on: November 02, 2020, 01:41:33 am »
+1

What about making it a bit stronger like this (bottom part):

Otherwise, exchange this with a card
to your hand costing less than this.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7421 on: November 02, 2020, 06:35:53 am »
+1

It is a good idea, but I don't think that it is always a buff. You might not want that Silver in your deck and playing a Pearl Diver is a cantrip whereas gaining one to hand is terminal.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #7422 on: November 02, 2020, 01:06:47 pm »

When new BoM plays a Duration card, the BoM stays in play for tracking, so this would as well.

Problem is, it can't stay in play because it returns itself to the Supply when the command effect triggers.

Though I am not completely exactly what the rule that makes this happens states / how it is worded. In the errata thread Donald said it “ These rules apply to all of the cards that play cards without putting them into play: currently, Band of Misfits, Overlord, Inheritance, Necromancer, and Captain.”

The question is what is the wording that makes it apply to those cards but not to Vassal.

I think that the reason it doesn't apply to Vassal is because, barring edge-cases, Vassal doesn't play cards without putting them into play.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 01:10:05 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #7423 on: November 02, 2020, 01:38:02 pm »

Problem is, it can't stay in play because it returns itself to the Supply when the command effect triggers.

Ah yeah, I missed that.

I think that the reason it doesn't apply to Vassal is because, barring edge-cases, Vassal doesn't play cards without putting them into play.

Right, my question was more about what the actual wording of the new rule is. Donald only told us which currently-existing cards the rule applies to; he didn't say what the wording of that rule is. Probably something along the lines of "when a card plays a Duration card without putting it into play..."
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7424 on: November 02, 2020, 01:48:52 pm »

It is a good idea, but I don't think that it is always a buff. You might not want that Silver in your deck and playing a Pearl Diver is a cantrip whereas gaining one to hand is terminal.

Yeah, I was aware of those drawbacks even before I posted my suggestion. Sometimes, a simple wording is inferior to a complex wording. I mean there are more possibilities to buff it, but I don't want to interfere too much with your card design. Anyway, this seems to be the first card I am aware of that can emulate Treasures.
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 21 queries.