Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546441 times)

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #7375 on: October 23, 2020, 02:10:10 pm »
+1

Brazen • State
You are unaffected by Attack cards played by other players.

At the start of your Clean up phase, you may discard a Copper; if you do not, return this.

Did you mean for this to say "discard a Copper from your Hand"? Right now, it seems you get to keep Brazen as long as you play at least one copper during your Buy phase.

‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎

Sleep walking isn't bad when there's trash 4 benefit. I'm very happy to salvage/apprentice/bishop a province. Is this intended? If not, you can slightly weaken it in the non t4b case by having it not apply to victory cards.

Drunken Master
$5 - Action - Attack
+2 Cards.
Each other player gains a Ruins.
If you don't have Party in the Ruins, take it.

Party in the Ruins
State
All your Ruins have the Reserve type and the following text: "Put this on your Tavern Mat. | At the start of your turn, you may call this for +$2 and return Party in the Ruins."
At the start of your turn, return Party in the Ruins.

Calling a Ruins makes you return the state immediately to keep you from being able to call more than one Ruins in a turn.

I could be wrong on this, but ownership of cards isn't very clear. ("All your Ruins"). What about Command cards that play Ruins? Instead, Dominion usually uses "On your turn, Ruins have the Reserve type and the following test..." I recommend that change.

Hedonist (Action, $5)

Gain a card costing up to $5.
Take Penury.

Penury (State)

When you would gain a card, return this and gain a Copper instead.

There is one copy of Penury available for every player.

Am I missing something? This seems super weak. a 5-cost card that terminally gains a card costing 5 with a self-junking drawback is not so good -- I'd rather just buy that 5 cost myself. I feel like this could cost 4.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #7376 on: October 23, 2020, 02:20:29 pm »

Sleep walking isn't bad when there's trash 4 benefit. I'm very happy to salvage/apprentice/bishop a province. Is this intended?

Yes (or at least it's planned - I might have preferred a version that can't help if I knew how to do that). This is the reason Pharmacy doesn't always attack but gives you a choice. That way, you can always choose to play it for the 3$, but without giving your opponent sleepwalking.

If you're the player without Pharmacy, you can even defend yourself against the attack by buying a remodel in addition to your junk dealer. Maybe your opponent will be so scared of you getting value out of sleepwalking that she doesn't attack, and then you get to trash with junk dealer.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #7377 on: October 23, 2020, 03:46:08 pm »
+2

Brazen • State

At the start of your Clean up phase, you may discard a Copper; if you do not, return this.

Did you mean for this to say "discard a Copper from your Hand"? Right now, it seems you get to keep Brazen as long as you play at least one copper during your Buy phase.

i really wish people would quit harping on this because its implicit for "from hand" on official cards. happened with the "steal someone elses mechanic" contest too.

i'll fix it if the judge needs me to but yeah, from hand is the intention.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 04:04:08 pm by spineflu »

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #7378 on: October 23, 2020, 04:01:46 pm »
+1

Brazen • State

i really wish people would quit harping on this because its implicit for "from hand" on official cards

i'll fix it if the judge needs me to but yeah, from hand is the intention

Sometimes a card will tell you to discard a card from another location, but by default discarded cards come from hands.

http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Discard

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #7379 on: October 23, 2020, 04:56:51 pm »

Sleep walking isn't bad when there's trash 4 benefit. I'm very happy to salvage/apprentice/bishop a province. Is this intended?

Yes (or at least it's planned - I might have preferred a version that can't help if I knew how to do that).
You could add this line to Sleepwalking: "Cards you trash cost $0 until the end of your turn", but that might be unnecessary complication.

I could be wrong on this, but ownership of cards isn't very clear. ("All your Ruins"). What about Command cards that play Ruins? Instead, Dominion usually uses "On your turn, Ruins have the Reserve type and the following test..." I recommend that change.
I still prefer the original version of Inheritance which uses the term "Your Estates", so it's clear enough to me.
It's intuitive that the "leaving it there" clause on command cards means it's not yours.

<Hedonist & Penury>

Am I missing something? This seems super weak. a 5-cost card that terminally gains a card costing 5 with a self-junking drawback is not so good -- I'd rather just buy that 5 cost myself. I feel like this could cost 4.
I agree Hedonist would be fine costing $3 or $4 as-is.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 06:58:40 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7380 on: October 23, 2020, 05:59:39 pm »

You could add this line to Sleepwalking: "Cards you trash cost $0 until the end of your turn", but that might be unnecessary complication.

I don't think I want to change the card now (I already designed it around helping others, and I like the current version), but it is a good idea. (Though, what happens with Wayfarer?)

I agree Hedonist would be fine costing $4 as-is.

I doubt it. I think this would be among the weakest 4$'s in the game.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #7381 on: October 23, 2020, 06:09:43 pm »
+2

Brazen • State

i really wish people would quit harping on this because its implicit for "from hand" on official cards. happened with the "steal someone elses mechanic" contest too.

I agree that if your card was an Action card, it would not be ambiguous. You would be able to omit the "from hand" clause. During the clean up phase you discard cards from in-play, so I interpret your state like this: as long as I play a Copper during my turn, I can hold onto Brazen.

I apologize if my suggestion has rubbed you the wrong way. I am only trying to add clarity to improve your card.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7382 on: October 23, 2020, 07:37:04 pm »
+1

Brazen • State

I agree that if your card was an Action card, it would not be ambiguous. You would be able to omit the "from hand" clause. During the clean up phase you discard cards from in-play, so I interpret your state like this: as long as I play a Copper during my turn, I can hold onto Brazen.

I apologize if my suggestion has rubbed you the wrong way. I am only trying to add clarity to improve your card.
no i get it, and i get that your intent wasn't malicious (i usually find your suggestions really helpful). its just, it plays the same as literally everything else (including wind's gift, quest, crop rotation) and thus uses the same verbiage (and is a similar situation to the other contest, where the same same issue happened). I reacted disproportionately negatively and i'm sorry, you didnt deserve that level of vitriol.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 07:38:52 pm by spineflu »

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #7383 on: October 25, 2020, 11:26:10 am »

Planning Committee - $6
Action
+3 Cards
If you do not have Anticipation or Midnight Revelry, take Anticipation with a coin token on it.

Anticipation - State
At the start of your turn, if this has no Coin tokens on it, flip this to Midnight Revelry. Otherwise, remove a Coin token from this.

Midnight Revelry - State
While you have this, your Action cards have the Night card type. At the end of your Night phase, return this, and return to your Buy phase.

A Smithy variant that sets up a really big turn with the States where all Action cards are also Night cards and you return to your Buy phase at the end of the Night phase. I overpriced Planning Committee because I have no idea if the Action cards are Night cards as well mechanic breaks the game or not. Could be a terrible idea. If it is not as busted as I suspect, I think Planning Committee can probably be changed to $5, or other bells and whistles can be added to it. Feedback is more than welcome.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 11:33:16 am by Xen3k »

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #7384 on: October 26, 2020, 11:11:42 pm »

This card started with a concept: I wanted to design a State that everyone (including you) would get at the same time, but you would still want to give it out because it would affect different players dramatically differently. I’m not sure I nailed it.

Does anyone have any guidance on what this should cost? I feel entirely lost in the woods (oops) on price. I’ve tried several different price points with various tweaks to the cards and can’t figure it out.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 04:40:08 am by spheremonk »

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #7385 on: October 26, 2020, 11:36:23 pm »
+3

This card started with a concept: I wanted to design a State that everyone (including you) would get at the same time, but you would still want to give it out because it would affect different players dramatically differently. I’m not sure I nailed it.

Does anyone have any guidance on what this should cost? I feel entirely lost in the woods (oops) on price. I’ve tried several different price points with various tweaks to the cards and can’t figure it out.

Midas will always give twice touched, and never give touched. I would put the switch to twice touched first, because otherwise you receive Touched, and then immediately flip it

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #7386 on: October 27, 2020, 04:42:45 am »

Midas will always give twice touched, and never give touched. I would put the switch to twice touched first, because otherwise you receive Touched, and then immediately flip it
Great point! I've made the change in the OP. Thanks for the help. (It reads less intuitively to me the corrected way, but you're 100% right.)

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #7387 on: October 27, 2020, 07:39:19 am »
+2

Will change my entry to the following. Hopefully it is now a sensible price.

Hedonist (Action, $3)

Gain a card costing up to $5.
Take Penury.

Penury (State)

When you would gain a card, return this and gain a Copper instead.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #7388 on: October 27, 2020, 12:18:03 pm »
+1

24 hours until submissions close

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #7389 on: October 27, 2020, 01:40:35 pm »

D782802859

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7390 on: October 28, 2020, 09:17:39 am »
+1

Submissions closed, I'll get judging out by around 2

D782802859

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7391 on: October 28, 2020, 07:51:58 pm »
+3

Sorry for the late judging, I've been busy lately.
Brazier by spineflu
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18987.msg856103#msg856103
A Coppersmith variant that also gives attack protection. I think this is just a Coppersmith without much difference a lot of the time. The attack protection doesn't matter enough to put this above a regular Coppersmith, particularly since it requires keeping Coppers around.
Pharmacy by silverspawn
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18987.msg856107#msg856107
This is an anti-trashing attack for your opponents that forces them to get back junk if they trash it. This isn't very good. It has timing issues where you often can't activate the attack when it matters and that creates some feelsbad moments with a 5 cost oneshot.
Drunken Master by LibraryAdventurer
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18987.msg856118#msg856118
A ruin-based junker that gives you a way to mitigate its attack with your own copy. The main issue I see here is that it can snowball, since the first player to get one can somewhat lock out their opponents with ruins, but it doesn't seem like a huge issue. The self-countering nature creates some interesting decisions.
Polish by NoMoreFun
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18987.msg856124#msg856124
First impression is that this encourages boring strategies, since it just makes you gain a bunch of silvers to win. Not a lot of nuance here.
Cheshire Cat by gambit05
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18987.msg856131#msg856131
The attack is pretty interesting, a good mix of punishing, but not so much that it makes games miserable, the command half especially so. It should be unable to hit durations with the attack and the command option, since that makes tracking tricky.
Monkey by grep
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18987.msg856137#msg856137
A nice, simple 2-cost card. Not much to say, I like the sleek design.
Beginner by Aquila
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18987.msg856155#msg856155
This is a good concept, but States don't seem like the best way to implement this. It's somewhat confusing.
Prayer by majiponi
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18987.msg856164#msg856164
The versatility is very nice. I also like the decisions keeping or using it creates.
Chamberlain by anordinaryman
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18987.msg856165#msg856165
This seems like it slows down games, since every single time you gain a card you have to wait for anyone with the states to make a choice and potentially resolve another card.
Planning Committee by Xen3k
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18987.msg856331#msg856331
The abilities of this to do megaturns are interesting, but they're sort of awkward. This is more of a pseudo extra turn generator than anything else, so I think it's a bit overtuned.
Midas by Spheremonk
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18987.msg856401#msg856401
Hexes as attacks are pretty underpowered, so this is weak. Best case scenario, this gives your opponents a curse and you get to make $3 per copy of this you have. That's not as much as it sounds because you need two copies of a 5 cost card and they can block it. I think lowering the cost and maybe changing the numbers a little would be best.
Hedonist by mandioca5
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18987.msg856417#msg856417
This was super weak at $5, but I really like it at $3. It creates some extremely interesting gameplay. It's a bit narrow, but in a good way.
Genius by Something_Smart
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18987.msg856435#msg856435
I like the concept, but it's a a tad overtuned, not losing it isn't hard.
Top 3:
Monkey/Curious
Prayer/Small Wish
Hedonist/Penury
WInner: Hedonist

mandioca15

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7392 on: October 29, 2020, 08:45:28 am »
+5

Thanks for the win, D782802859, and thanks to those who gave feedback to improve my card. It's the first time I've won this contest, which is nice.

I am prepared to set a new contest, but note that I probably won't be able to provide the kind of analysis for entries that makes this contest so wonderful, as I am a mediocre Dominion player. If someone else is prepared to provide better analysis for entries, then I suggest they set the next contest.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #7393 on: October 29, 2020, 11:07:01 am »
+4

Thanks for the win, D782802859, and thanks to those who gave feedback to improve my card. It's the first time I've won this contest, which is nice.

I am prepared to set a new contest, but note that I probably won't be able to provide the kind of analysis for entries that makes this contest so wonderful, as I am a mediocre Dominion player. If someone else is prepared to provide better analysis for entries, then I suggest they set the next contest.

As a random opinion from someone who hasn't participated in any of these other than giving random feedback sometimes, I don't think you need to be a great Dominion player to be a good judge of cards; and in-depth analysis of all entries isn't required. Balance and power level might require more Dominion skill to be able to judge well, but there are lots of other criteria used in judging that don't require much Dominion skill; mostly just how much you like the entry. And other members will give plenty of feedback/analysis anyway.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7394 on: October 29, 2020, 11:57:22 am »
+2

As a random opinion from someone who hasn't participated in any of these other than giving random feedback sometimes, I don't think you need to be a great Dominion player to be a good judge of cards; and in-depth analysis of all entries isn't required. Balance and power level might require more Dominion skill to be able to judge well, but there are lots of other criteria used in judging that don't require much Dominion skill; mostly just how much you like the entry. And other members will give plenty of feedback/analysis anyway.
just gonna +1 this, I'm awful at dominion (rating of 45 on dominion dot games) and I still judged a couple times. It's just for arbitrary forum funzies and to kinda demonstrate what you find interesting about the game, not to flex how good at dominion you are. 

(like there's valid reasons for not judging like time commitment and whatever, but don't let inexperience keep you from at least trying it out).
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 12:00:48 pm by spineflu »

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #7395 on: October 29, 2020, 11:58:21 am »
+1

I would like to add that you will learn a lot from evaluating other players cards.

mandioca15

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7396 on: October 29, 2020, 12:07:35 pm »
+1

Very well, then, here goes:

Contest #93: Return to Sender

Design a card that has the capability of returning itself to the Supply (its pile). It does not always have to return itself (e.g. Encampment).

The card does not have to be a supply card (e.g. Horse). If your card is not a Supply card, design an additional card that can gain it.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #7397 on: October 29, 2020, 12:15:38 pm »
+1

I don't have a specific idea, but a general concept to throw out that I think might be cool to see done.

A non-supply card that only has 1 copy in the pile. Or possible only 1 per player if that works better. Of course it would return itself to its pile when played, along with some other effect that's powerful enough that players won't want to just gain it and then keep in in their deck forever without playing it. It would add some tension similar to what Lurker does.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7398 on: October 29, 2020, 02:03:45 pm »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7399 on: October 29, 2020, 06:15:23 pm »
+3

Hacienda • $5 • Treasure
$2
You may return this to the Supply for +1 Card, +1 Action, then return to your Action phase.

a $5 silver, like scepter, that does a mix of the Villa/Cavalry effect. it was much more complicated and annoying (a choose one with two options that each had like three commas) but then i made it not do that. what a good story.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 06:19:29 pm by spineflu »
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 21 queries.