Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1548159 times)

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #7350 on: October 19, 2020, 08:37:58 pm »
+1

Sycophants
Types: Action
Cost: $3
+1 Card, +1 Action. If the total cost in coins of cards you have in play is... From $10 to $22: +2 Actions. From $23 to $32: +2 Cards. At least $33: +1 Buy and +$2.
Sycophants do different work for you depending on how wealthy you appear to be.  They go from cantrip, to Bustling Village, to activated Menagerie, to Grand Market.  Without cost-reduction shenanigans, you can play 4 as "+3 Cards and +1 Action."  It costs $3 so it does less to activate itself if you're just pile-driving it: Do something else, will ya?
Obviously combos with expensive cantrips like Market, Baker, Bazaar, and Laboratory.

Crazy good with Peddler and Treasury.

I feel like this will be annoying to resolve... you basically have to do a bunch of adding every time you play one of these.
The first and third modes are also hard to track.

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #7351 on: October 19, 2020, 08:45:05 pm »
+1

Sycophants
Types: Action
Cost: $3
+1 Card, +1 Action. If the total cost in coins of cards you have in play is... From $10 to $22: +2 Actions. From $23 to $32: +2 Cards. At least $33: +1 Buy and +$2.
Sycophants do different work for you depending on how wealthy you appear to be.  They go from cantrip, to Bustling Village, to activated Menagerie, to Grand Market.  Without cost-reduction shenanigans, you can play 4 as "+3 Cards and +1 Action."  It costs $3 so it does less to activate itself if you're just pile-driving it: Do something else, will ya?
Obviously combos with expensive cantrips like Market, Baker, Bazaar, and Laboratory.

Crazy good with Peddler and Treasury.

I feel like this will be annoying to resolve... you basically have to do a bunch of adding every time you play one of these.
The first and third modes are also hard to track.
Change it to "Just before the end of your action phase" or "At the start of your buy phase" then the Total cost thing, and then you don't need to worry about tracking

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #7352 on: October 20, 2020, 01:55:49 pm »
+2

Contest entries are now closed.

Results will be posted soon.

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #7353 on: October 21, 2020, 12:22:02 pm »
+2

Weekly Card Contest 91 Results

This week I didn't have the ability to test the cards myself, so results are based on theory, this time.

Twins - gambit05

I believe this has the most twos out of any card submitted, coming in at a total of 6! The effect is pretty nice, although I do agree with commenters that it's almost a strict upgrade to Ride. I also can't remember the last time I've seen a fan card that would make a stronger Mouse than Encampment. The implications of having this be your only +Buy source are also pretty neat.

Caver - Aquila

Caver - Action, $2 cost.
+2 Cards
If your deck is empty, + $2.
-
This is gained to the bottom of your deck (instead of your discard pile).

It's a $2 Moat with the bonus effect being that overdrawing with it lets you get +$2 instead (and perfect draws that leave your deck empty, but I imagine it'll more often be used for the latter considering that buying terminal +2 Cards in a more money-ish deck isn't a very good idea usually). It strikes me as being fine power-level wise, but also I don't see it playing very differently from a vanilla +2 Cards.

Edict - majiponi

Edict
cost $2 - Action
Reveal the top 2 cards of your deck. Discard them for +$2 or put them into your hand.

Another $2 Moat; this one lets you sift instead of draw if the revealed cards are bad. It sounds pretty nice. A technical point: it can say "look" instead of "reveal", because other players don't need to see the cards for accountability reasons (see Catacombs VS Journeyman). I like it overall.

Coachman - Freddy10

This strikes me as powerful relative to its cost. The downside on this is fairly low, and it's also optional - you can choose not to take the extra +2 Cards after seeing your initial draw. That being said, it also leads to an interesting new dynamic regarding how you have to put your deck together compared to most other draw cards.

Huckster - Xen3k

Now, an attack. I don't think I agree with other commenters at all that this is close to militia in power; it's somewhat reminiscent of Vault's optional benefit to other players, except that you're forced to do it. Although it won't always be a beneficial effect for your opponent, I suspect it will be often enough that you don't really want to play this at all, with all the cycling you'll be giving your opponent for free.

Butler - NoMoreFun

Butler
Action - $5
Choose one: +2 Coffers; or +2 Villagers; or play an Action card from your hand twice

A throne room variant. It obviously draws a comparison with Crown; usually the Throne effect will be the one you want, but the others are a nice consolation prize, and in the case of Butler, they are very nice indeed. The fact that you fundamentally want this to act as a Throne most of the time really makes it so this doesn't go off the rails easily. I like how this card solves the problem of "making Villagers take effort to get".

Prayer - silverspawn

The first card I've reviewed thus far without multiple twos on it! It's a neat idea that I think solves the problem inherent with cards that take other cards out of play looping way too easily. It probably isn't worth buying in every game; you really want +Actions or some method to gain multiple cards a turn (probably both) in order to have this be effective. Being situationally useful isn't a bad thing to have in a card; I am somewhat worried that this is dead too often though.

Combine - anordinaryman

I like how it can trash cards in play; I think this ability is deceptively powerful, but in a way that makes the game more interesting rather than less. The main issue I have with it is that estate trashing with this is super swingy; if you buy it in the opening, the difference between drawing two estates in hand with this and one is enormous.

Import - spineflu

I really like this card; I have a soft spot for gainers, and this certainly does a lot of that. One concern is that it might empty piles too easily. I don't think that's the case, since it can't gain itself, but it would be worth keeping in mind when testing it. I especially like how this works early-game; it can potentially get you a lot of cheap cards very quickly, but it also makes it even harder for you to get more $5s unless you have a plan for it.

Anvil/Hammer - spheremonk

These feel weak to me. Trying to use these as your primary draw seems very difficult, and they're not a great supplemental one-shot given their terminality. I like the general concept of "shuffled pile of one-shots that you can reveal the other one to keep", though.

Wine Cask - D782802859

Very interesting. Playing with this seems difficult; it generates a crazy amount of money for how little it costs to add to your deck, so you probably want it at some point, but it also does nothing until then, making it hard to tell when exactly you should pick it up. Obviously it's also great if you can somehow get it into your deck without gaining it; I believe Camel Train is currently the only way to do this without cooperation from your opponent.

Colosseum - scolapasta

This project doesn't seem to me like it would add to the game in an interesting way. Events are, generally, quite strong; most of the time, at least one of the random events added to the kingdom with this will be good enough that buying Colosseum is worth it, especially with the cost reduction component. And then if the set aside events are both bad, you just don't buy it. Either way, I don't think this plays out differently enough from simply having 2 events on the table to be worth it.

Sycophants - Fragasnap

This feels confusingly wordy to me. It also has the issue where +Cards is generally not as valuable a bonus later in your turn; in order to draw with Sycophants, you've probably already come close to drawing your deck anyways. It's final mode is also not as great as it sounds, as you probably won't get to take advantage of its cantrip nature. I'm not really sure why it has a cap, either.

Monk - chronostrike

I like this. It seems like you can get it to trigger fairly often, both from attacks and from yourself, while not being something you can just base your entire game around most of the time. Reactions like this are pretty fun to play with.

This week's winner was Wine Cask, by D782802859. The way that it would play is fairly unique (Miser, Pirate Ship, and Travelers are the only cards that I can think off the top of my head that start weak and power up over the course of the game for one player, and this is quite distinct from all those), and it really encourages you to think about building in a different way than you normally do. I'm not 100% certain on the numbers, but given that this is a weekly contest, that's kind of to be expected; it seems like it's in the ballpark, though.

The runners-up this week are Import, by spineflu, and Monk, by chronostrike. Both of these cards just hit a very nice point in "simple but interesting", to me.

Anyways, that was a great contest. The cards this week were fun to read through and it was also enjoyable to see how many twos ya'll tried to fit onto a single card.

D782802859

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7354 on: October 21, 2020, 01:16:45 pm »
+1

Thanks for the win! This is honestly one of the highest quality weeks we've had so far.
Contest #92: Envious of Envious
Design a State and a card that uses it. A note here is that these states should not be like Lost in the Woods, because that's basically an Artifact. It should have a copy for each player.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3191
    • View Profile
« Reply #7355 on: October 21, 2020, 01:34:27 pm »

A note here is that these states should not be like Lost in the Woods, because that's basically an Artifact. It should have a copy for each player.

Can you specify that more?

D782802859

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7356 on: October 21, 2020, 01:41:09 pm »
+1

A note here is that these states should not be like Lost in the Woods, because that's basically an Artifact. It should have a copy for each player.

Can you specify that more?
The way Lost In The Woods works is that only one person can have it at a time and it gets passed around, meaning it functions like Artifacts from Renaissance. The rest of the states can be held by multiple people.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #7357 on: October 21, 2020, 02:56:41 pm »
+2

Brazier • $4 • Action
If you don't have Brazen, take it.
-
While this is in play, Copper produces $1 extra.
Brazen • State
You are unaffected by Attack cards played by other players.

At the start of your Clean up phase, you may discard a Copper; if you do not, return this.

Coppersmith/Moat variant that costs being on the receiving end of a Cutpurse to keep around.
In the interest of heading off "strictly better" talk, Brazier isn't throneable or commandable like Coppersmith is. I kept it priced at $4 because of the opening - if Brazier is the best way to $$$$ on the board, it's too painful to give the 5/2 opener that big of an advantage.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7358 on: October 21, 2020, 03:40:29 pm »
+2

‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #7359 on: October 21, 2020, 11:27:54 pm »
+1

Drunken Master
$5 - Action - Attack
+2 Cards.
Each other player gains a Ruins.
If you don't have Party in the Ruins, take it.

Party in the Ruins
State
All your Ruins have the Reserve type and the following text: "Put this on your Tavern Mat. | At the start of your turn, you may call this for +$2 and return Party in the Ruins."
At the start of your turn, return Party in the Ruins.

Calling a Ruins makes you return the state immediately to keep you from being able to call more than one Ruins in a turn.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 11:31:02 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #7360 on: October 22, 2020, 12:56:17 am »
+2

‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎

With Sleepwalking, empty deck, empty discard pile and two Minning Villages in hand, you can make a loop to generate infinite money and infinite actions.

There's also a possible loop with Raze, but to it generate something useful you also need something like Tomb or an Adventure token.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
« Reply #7361 on: October 22, 2020, 01:15:57 am »

Shiny
State
When you play a Silver, +1 Buy, +$1
When you gain a Silver, return this

Polish
Event - $5
Take Shiny
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 01:35:42 am by NoMoreFun »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7362 on: October 22, 2020, 03:20:03 am »
+1

With Sleepwalking, empty deck, empty discard pile and two Minning Villages in hand, you can make a loop to generate infinite money and infinite actions.

With our Medicine, you can dream of being the richest person in the world!
Only at Pharmacy Pharmy. Pharmacy Pharmy, your best supplier for all things medical.

(Pharmacy Pharmy is not responsible for any externalities you experience as a result of using our products, such as RuinEd dreams or recurring Curses.)

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #7363 on: October 22, 2020, 07:41:52 am »
+1

Hedonist (Action, $5)

Gain a card costing up to $5.
Take Penury.

Penury (State)

When you would gain a card, return this and gain a Copper instead.

There is one copy of Penury available for every player.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #7364 on: October 22, 2020, 09:43:25 am »
+3

My Submission:

Grinning
State

When you play an Action card, if you played
another copy this turn, Exile it and return this.

Cheshire Cat
      $5 – Action – Attack - Command                       

Each other player without     
Grinning takes it.

Choose one: +$3; or play     
a non-Command Action
     card on another player’s     
Exile mat, leaving it there.

'Did you say pig, or fig?' said the Cat.

'I said pig,' replied Alice; 'and I wish you wouldn't keep appearing and vanishing so suddenly: you make one quite giddy.‘

'All right,' said the Cat; and this time it vanished quite slowly, beginning with the end of the tail, and ending with the grin, which remained some time after the rest of it had gone.

'Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin,' thought Alice; 'but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in my life!‘

- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #7365 on: October 22, 2020, 12:50:31 pm »
+1

Monkey
$2 - Action
+2 Cards
Take Curious

Curious
State
When you would draw a card, instead:
Look at the top two cards of your deck, put one into your hand and discard the other. Return this.

Pictures TBD

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonis20004
  • Respect: +95
    • View Profile
« Reply #7366 on: October 22, 2020, 01:34:26 pm »

The judge didn't include critique of my unnamed card that I posted in the beginning of this weekly challange.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7367 on: October 22, 2020, 02:09:23 pm »

The judge didn't include critique of my unnamed card that I posted in the beginning of this weekly challange.

Could it be that it vanished?

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #7368 on: October 22, 2020, 05:11:50 pm »
+1

Beginner, 1st Job Change, 2nd Job Change

Beginner - Action Attack, $4 cost.
+2 Cards
Each other player reveals the top card of their deck and discards it if it costs $3 or more.
At the end of your Buy phase, you may pay $4 to take 1st Job Change if you don't have it or 2nd Job Change, or gain a Duchy if you do.

1st Job Change - State
When you play a Beginner: first get + $1, and you may choose to flip this to 2nd Job Change if you pay $4.

2nd Job Change - State
During your turns, Beginners cost $3 more. When you play a Beginner: first get + $2; if another player discards a Victory card, they gain a Curse; if you gain a Duchy, +2VP.
Level up MMORPG style, with a two-sided State for everyone. It should be like this:

Beginner - $4 cost, +2 Cards, top deck discard attack
    V
Pay $4
    V
1st Job - $4 cost, +2 Cards + $1, top deck discard attack, may pay $4 for a Duchy
    V
Pay $4
    V
2nd Job - $7 cost,  +2 Cards + $2, top deck discard attack which if a Victory they gain a Curse, may pay $4 for a 5VP Duchy

Edit: changed Beginner's attack and adjusted wording.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 04:13:36 am by Aquila »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #7369 on: October 22, 2020, 05:51:29 pm »

Having other players discard the top card of their deck is not an attack.

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
« Reply #7370 on: October 22, 2020, 05:52:27 pm »
+1

Having other players discard the top card of their deck is not an attack.

But making them gain a Curse is, which is what the 2nd Job Change does.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #7371 on: October 22, 2020, 11:09:49 pm »
+1

Prayer
cost $4 - Action
+$2
Take Small Wish.

Small Wish
State
At the start of your turn, you may return this to choose one: +1 Card; +1 Action; +$1; or +1 Buy.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #7372 on: October 22, 2020, 11:49:15 pm »
+2

Contest #92: Envious of Envious - Submission

Chamberlain - Action - $5
Choose one: +1 Buy; or gain a card costing up to $4 onto your deck; or take Laboring
-
Setup: Each player takes Laboring
Laboring - State
When any player gains a non-Duration Action card, you may return this to play a copy of that card from the Supply, leaving it there.

Laboring lets you join in the fun when your opponent gets a card, you get to play it! Unfortunately, most cards are best to be played on your own turn. You might re-think buying a smithy this turn if your opponent is Laboring. You can choose to play cards you gain during your own turn. Out of actions? Gain a Village with Chamberlain and return Laboring to save your turn!

All games with Chamberlain everyone gets to start Laboring, so everyone gets to cash in on the fun at least once. This definitely mixes up the opening quite a bit and lessens player one advantage.

Open to feedback, of course!

Rule Clarifications: the choice to use Laboring happens in turn order starting with the person whose turn it is. You resolve all of those before the player whose turn it is continues their turn after gaining a card, even if this happened in the middle of resolving card. For example, Player A uses Inventor to gain a Village, then Player A choose to not return Laboring, then Player B returns Laboring to play a village from the supply drawing a card (the +2 actions does nothing), and then Player A finishes resolving Inventor so only now do cards cost $1 less.

Thematically, A Chamberlain is in charge of managing a royal household. It's like other royal cards that have "choose one." I imagine all the choices here are choices a Chamberlain could make, getting goods, investing in the market, or forcing the serfs to work harder. Laboring of course is thematically like the event Toil -- playing an action card out of the action phase.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 11:59:22 pm by anordinaryman »

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonis20004
  • Respect: +95
    • View Profile
« Reply #7373 on: October 23, 2020, 04:31:25 am »
+1

Could it be that it vanished?
No, it's here:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18987.msg855637#msg855637

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7374 on: October 23, 2020, 07:37:05 am »

That is unfortunate. I looked for your entry twice yesterday and couldn't find it, but I looked only from the last entry to mine, which I thought was the first one, and then back to the last. Probably alion8me missed it the same way.
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 21 queries.