Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546533 times)

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonis20004
  • Respect: +95
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #7300 on: October 12, 2020, 07:33:47 am »
+4

Okay, time to judge. The submissions will be in no particular order. I'm sorry if I'm harsh against your card, don't take it personally.

Doppelgänger by alion8me
This is a really interesting card, and it is a bit similar to a Wish. It is a bit hard to evaluate the power level of because of the weird cost. In some kingdoms it could be an automatic buy, but the cost and effect have a nice balancing interaction. Sometimes can be worth it to try to pick it up fast, with an all or nothing opening of moat/moat or something similar. I don't like that you could buy this and a $5 on a moderately good turn if you are lucky enough to do so, maybe you could add a low $ cost, to make that harder to do on accident?

Voyager by D782802859
Can be useful to have a few of these to thin your deck throughout the game, but doesn't solve the Freeze mechanic problem of leaving a mess of cards and tokens all over your table.

Celebration by Silverspawn
This one is probably pretty akward to play, what's with all this drawing in your buy phase? Feels like a sad Inventor, but isn't that useful except for megaturns.

Glade by Aquila
Interesting, doesn’t seem broken, and two horses is an okay incentive to buy this early. I feel like you would want to buy this around turn 9 or 10 for most benefit, when you would typically want to green. Interesting concept, since there is not much incentive in Dominion to green early. I think I would prefer this if it only gave you one Curse instead of two, so it's better than estate points-wise.

War-torn Village by Xen3K
This is probably about as strong as Hideout in Spring or Summer. I like the late gaining of Mercenaries, but it doesn't at all fit with a Village, since you want to keep your Villages to support your terminals, and with this card you will probably not have any fodder for your Mercenaries by the time you can get them. That's why the Mercenary option is a big risk, and probably not worth it.

Privateer by LibraryAdventurer
This is broken. Giving your opponents Mutineers is a bit like gaining a VP token, and since this one doesn't have any restriction, you can just keep playing 6 of these a round, gaining a Province's worth of point lead every turn. It has all the problems cantrip +VP would have, and can lead to unfun, drawn-out games and stalemates.

Machinist by NoMoreFun
This is probably really strong, playing a $4 twice is a strong one-shot effect, but this one leaves you with a workshop and the played card afterwards.

Sanctum by Spineflu
This is probably a good version of the Wonder mechanic, but the actual effects are no good. In a no-trashing game, letting one player Donate once would be extremely swingy, the one who makes most steps wins the game. This is worsened even more if the Build card is a $5, and one player gets it in the opening and the other one doesn't get it until turn 5, and doesn't have any chance of getting it.

Sumisu by gambit05
I like the idea of a draw card gradually getting better, but the wording is weird, and the interaction with other 痛 token cards is a bit unclear. If you have both this and silverspawn's Tera, does everyone start with 10 痛 tokens? That would make both cards much worse. Also, this has no reason to use specifically 痛 tokens, and could be any type of token, or have something similar to Pirate Ship.

Upheaval by spheremonk
This feels suspiciously similar to Imperialism by Asper, and doesn't add that much to the game. "Aha, this game we use Platinum but not Colony!".

Winner
Doppelgänger by alion8me
Uses the card costs in an interesting way, has an interesting duality. Although I don't think that this is the best version of the card, it is probably balanced.

Runner up
Glade by Aquila

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #7301 on: October 12, 2020, 08:45:44 am »

Voyager by D782802859
Can be useful to have a few of these to thin your deck throughout the game, but doesn't solve the Freeze mechanic problem of leaving a mess of cards and tokens all over your table.

Thanks for the feedback. I think the best way to solve the Freeze mechanic's problem is just to add a mat. Of course, that brings up the issue that the mechanic doesn't do much that Exile can't and wouldn't make much sense as anything more than a one of a la Island.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #7302 on: October 12, 2020, 09:35:52 am »

I don't understand the supposed problem. As you said, if somebody wants to pool the frozen cards, they can put it on a mat or whatever. It is purely a matter of how you organize stuff on the table and is unrelated to the actual mechanic.

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7303 on: October 12, 2020, 01:09:49 pm »

I don't understand the supposed problem. As you said, if somebody wants to pool the frozen cards, they can put it on a mat or whatever. It is purely a matter of how you organize stuff on the table and is unrelated to the actual mechanic.
You're right, I should have criticised the card more than the organisatory problems its mechanic brought me. It still isn't that unique as a card, now when we have the Exile mechanic, although it is probably balanced.

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #7304 on: October 12, 2020, 10:50:40 pm »
+2

Weekly Card Contest 91: If Dominion is so good why didn't they make a Dominion Two?

This week's challenge is relatively simple: the card-shaped-thing you submit must have the number two on it somewhere, whether in the cost or in the actual text. Both expressions with the numeral "2", such as "+2 Cards", and with "two" spelled out, such as "Trash two cards from your hand", are acceptable.

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7305 on: October 13, 2020, 12:59:33 am »

Here's my submission, a Reserve card similar to Fortress.
$2 - Action-Reserve
When you play or trash this, choose one: +2 Cards, or put it on your Tavern mat.
-
After you finish playing an Action card other than this, you may call this for +2 Actions.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #7306 on: October 13, 2020, 03:32:24 am »

I once designed an expansion and published it on fds. Is it allowed for me to submit cards from that?

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #7307 on: October 13, 2020, 04:11:34 am »
+3

My 2 Cents:

Twins
$2 – Action

Choose two:
          +2 Cards; or +2 Actions;           
or +2 Buys; or +$2. The
choices must be different.

Return this to the Supply.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7308 on: October 13, 2020, 05:36:19 am »
+1

Seems pretty strictly better than Ride. Which might not be terrible I guess.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #7309 on: October 13, 2020, 08:26:41 am »
+1

Encampment is also strictly better than Ride which is no issue given how weak Ride is. Twins is basically Encampment and compensates for the lack of possibility to keep it in your deck via being more versatile.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7310 on: October 13, 2020, 09:42:18 am »
+1

I'm open about it being okay, but encampment isn't really similar to ride, whereas this card is. With Encampment, there are only five, and you often try not to return them.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #7311 on: October 13, 2020, 10:26:50 am »
+1

I entered a version of this before, but now it's fixed up and it has a lot of 2s on it:
Caver - Action, $2 cost.
+2 Cards
If your deck is empty, + $2.
-
This is gained to the bottom of your deck (instead of your discard pile).
The bottom-deck gain is the fix: without it this is swingy in the opening, if it appeared in your turn 4 hand and drew the last 2 cards of the first shuffle deck. It's a card that reaches full power in a later shuffle.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #7312 on: October 13, 2020, 10:30:06 am »
+2

Edict
cost $2 - Action
Reveal the top 2 cards of your deck. Discard them for +$2 or put them into your hand.

It was a friendly Oracle, but that was crazily friendly.

Freddy10

• Thief
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
« Reply #7313 on: October 13, 2020, 05:22:34 pm »
+2

I can use one from a previous contest, right? I think it fits with the theme

Coachman

Action

+2 Cards
You may take . If you did +2 Cards
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 06:01:36 pm by Freddy10 »
Who trashes the trashers?

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #7314 on: October 13, 2020, 06:41:42 pm »

Huckster - $3
Action-Attack
+$2
Each player (including you) discards down to 2 cards in hand, then draws 2 cards.

Not sure if this is balanced at $2, may need to be $3 simply because there is a potential to gain additional draws from it. The attack can hit repeatedly, but the quality of the two cards players keep will continue to improve, so consecutive attacks are somewhat weakened. Please let me know if this design is stronger than I think. Also, name suggestions would be welcome.

Edit: Changed it to cost $3 per suggestion below. I was hoping to keep the $2 cost combo going.

Edit 2: added a name and art.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 03:05:33 pm by Xen3k »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #7315 on: October 13, 2020, 08:18:22 pm »
+2

??'?? - $2
Action-Attack
+$2
Each player (including you) discards down to 2 cards in hand, then draws 2 cards.

Not sure if this is balanced at $2, may need to be $3 simply because there is a potential to gain additional draws from it. The attack can hit repeatedly, but the quality of the two cards players keep will continue to improve, so consecutive attacks are somewhat weakened. Please let me know if this design is stronger than I think. Also, name suggestions would be welcome.
This definitely needs to cost $3. The attack is not much weaker than Militia, and the drawback isn't that bad of a drawback.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #7316 on: October 13, 2020, 08:33:20 pm »
+2

??'?? - $2
Action-Attack
+$2

This definitely needs to cost $3. The attack is not much weaker than Militia, and the drawback isn't that bad of a drawback.
Compare and contrast Cellar, which the extra effect will often resemble. This comes with a different bonus, trading non-terminality for +$2 and a pretty good attack.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #7317 on: October 13, 2020, 09:53:24 pm »
+1

Butler
Action - $5
Choose one: +2 Coffers; or +2 Villagers; or play an Action card from your hand twice
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 08:41:19 pm by NoMoreFun »

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #7318 on: October 14, 2020, 12:59:31 am »
+1

To clarify because multiple people asked: you can enter previously made cards as long as it hasn't been a winner or runner up to a contest before, if you want to.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7319 on: October 14, 2020, 07:08:27 am »
+1

Edit: Updated to fix wording, exclude Durations, and have a choice on play.

I played with a version of this that didn't exile itself. It was extremely strong, but I found it strong in a fun way. (It has the name and art from a different card.)

It can become any card you have in play -1 Action. So if you have a Village in play, it can become a cantrip; if you have a Worker's Village in play, it can become a Market Square, if you have a Boomtown in play, it can become a lab. It can also become a smithy that takes 2 actions. And you may buy it just for the on-gain effect.

The exiling part is there to keep it in check if you have Throne Room or King's Court.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 02:32:46 pm by silverspawn »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #7320 on: October 14, 2020, 01:02:30 pm »
+2

I played with a version of this that didn't exile itself (and could top-deck cards on play) a bunch. It was extremely strong, but I found it strong in a fun way. (It has the name and art from a different card.)

It can become any card you have in play -1 Action. So if you have a Village in play, it can become a cantrip; if you have a Worker's Village in play, it can become a Market Square, if you have a Boomtown in play, it can become a lab. It can also become a smithy that takes 2 actions. And you may buy it just for the on-gain effect.

The exiling part is there to keep it in check if you have Throne Room or King's Court.

Both parts should say "that you have in play" instead of "from play." "From play" includes other player's Duration cards, and "that you have in play" is more in-line with official cards anyway.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7321 on: October 14, 2020, 01:08:04 pm »

It used to be 'you have in play' and I just changed it to 'from play' to make it shorter :( but yes, you're right.

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #7322 on: October 14, 2020, 01:45:26 pm »

I played with a version of this that didn't exile itself (and could top-deck cards on play) a bunch. It was extremely strong, but I found it strong in a fun way. (It has the name and art from a different card.)

Both parts should say "that you have in play" instead of "from play." "From play" includes other player's Duration cards, and "that you have in play" is more in-line with official cards anyway.
I would put non-duration on this because it is always bad to do this kind of thing with duration cards. Same reason procession has it; you remove the card but the effect is still there and you have nothing to remind you of it.
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #7323 on: October 14, 2020, 01:47:32 pm »

The good news is it doesn't need extra lines. The Exiling part is probably also necessary to keep the cost at $2.
I like it very much by the way.

I would put non-duration on this because it is always bad to do this kind of thing with duration cards. Same reason procession has it; you remove the card but the effect is still there and you have nothing to remind you of it.

Edit: Well, then it's getting longer, but you are probably right.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 01:53:09 pm by gambit05 »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7324 on: October 14, 2020, 02:32:05 pm »

I'm still salty about that change. I get the reason, but whenever I play procession and then can't play a duration card, I get reminded of how much better things used to be.

I begrudgingly updated it anyway. I also added the choice on play back. if it doesn't have it, it would be completely useless if you don't have 2 actions, which probably wouldn't feel great. This way, you can always topdeck a good card.
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 [293] 294 295 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.