Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546251 times)

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #7275 on: October 07, 2020, 05:48:17 pm »
+1

Fjord • $5+ • Victory
3%
-
When you buy this, you may overpay. If you do, freeze it, placing an Ice token on it for each $1 you overpaid.

This uses Gazbag's Freeze/Ice tokens mechanic. You can buy this instead of a Duchy if you're in the $6-$7 range to cause it to miss the shuffle.

edit: withdrawing this; see downthread for new entry
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 05:45:23 pm by spineflu »

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #7276 on: October 07, 2020, 06:14:48 pm »
+2

Fjord • $5+ • Victory
3%
-
When you buy this, you may overpay. If you do, freeze it, placing an Ice token on it for each $1 you overpaid.
That's strictly better than Duchy.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7277 on: October 07, 2020, 06:29:52 pm »

Fjord • $5+ • Victory
3%
-
That's strictly better than Duchy.
that's fine, it's a filler entry until i work out how i want to make a Wonder. If i'm really hard pressed i'll just add "in games using this, this replaces the Duchies"
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 09:16:34 pm by spineflu »

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #7278 on: October 07, 2020, 07:31:11 pm »

I like the mechanic, the flavor and the idea of your card, but if I understand it correctly, would that mean that when you gain Glade in Fall you will have 3 junk cards in your deck which have a net score of a mere 1 VP?
That's sort of the point. You're supposed to buy it earlier in the game. Plus, since it still nets you vp, it might be useful for pileouts.

I think I got the point, but as it is, the alternatives to gaining Glades in fall are too good. So, that forces players either to ignore it completely, or buy it early. I think it would be more interesting, if there is a still an incentive left to gain Glades late in the game.

I disagree. I think the whole "buy victory cards early" is an interesting enough concept on its own. Muddling it with "but also buy this late game like usual" just weakens the idea.

The concept of Gardens is "have a huge deck." Muddling Gardens with ", or if you have less than 15 cards this is worth 5vp" is totally besides the point and weakens the idea.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #7279 on: October 07, 2020, 08:57:57 pm »

I like the mechanic, the flavor and the idea of your card, but if I understand it correctly, would that mean that when you gain Glade in Fall you will have 3 junk cards in your deck which have a net score of a mere 1 VP?
That's sort of the point. You're supposed to buy it earlier in the game. Plus, since it still nets you vp, it might be useful for pileouts.

I think I got the point, but as it is, the alternatives to gaining Glades in fall are too good. So, that forces players either to ignore it completely, or buy it early. I think it would be more interesting, if there is a still an incentive left to gain Glades late in the game.

I disagree. I think the whole "buy victory cards early" is an interesting enough concept on its own. Muddling it with "but also buy this late game like usual" just weakens the idea.

The concept of Gardens is "have a huge deck." Muddling Gardens with ", or if you have less than 15 cards this is worth 5vp" is totally besides the point and weakens the idea.
I kind of agree with both of you. I mean, you can have it be much better to buy it in the early game, but I don't think you need quite as much of a punishment when buying it later on. I'd make it one curse when buying it in fall or winter. One curse vs two horses is plenty of motivation to buy it early, but it still does something for you if you buy it later.
(I don't think emptying piles is enough. If there's a cursing attack in the kingdom, the curses will probably empty anyway, otherwise, they probably won't empty anyway.)

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #7280 on: October 07, 2020, 10:01:39 pm »
+5

Using Aquila's card costs: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20533.msg855268#msg855268

Doppelgänger

Exchange this for a non-Command Action from the supply you have no copies of in play. Play it.
-
§: To buy this, discard an Action card that you have a copy of in play.

Action-Command
§
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 07:04:54 pm by alion8me »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7281 on: October 08, 2020, 06:00:40 pm »

Sanctum • Wonder • Most steps at end of game: 4VP • $3 per step, 4 steps (2-3 player); $3 per step, 6 steps (4-6 player)

Build a step: Discard a Build card and pay the cost of a step.

On Completion, most steps built: Put your deck and discard pile into your hand and trash any number of cards from your hand, then discard your hand;

All others, +2 Coffers / step

What's a build card? Glad you asked:

Build cards are an additional supply pile costing between $3 and $5. It works like Young Witch where it adds a pile to the Supply, rather than like Obelisk, which chooses a pile from the Supply.

Wonder concept was originally made by Tables here and was left pretty open ended. I branched off of X-tra's concept of it with a couple modifications: 1 - steps all cost the same. This makes it so you don't have to care which side you start on for filling in cubes and simplifies what the cost of a step is; 2 - getting rid of the potion-esque builder cards in favor of an additional pile that you just have to discard a card from. I kept the concept that building a step does not cost a Buy (unless the wonder would specify it costs a buy).

The most steps rewards are given to everyone who has the most steps done (so ties, they both get the event-y bonus and the VP).
The VP is given at the end of the game regardless of whether the wonder is completed - if six players all added one step, it's a wash, everyone gets 4VP.

Let me know what's unclear with this, i think i covered everything. IRL printing, i'd do the wonder card front+back printing, so on one side it's 4 spaces, the other, 6 (you can tell which side is which down by the art byline). As far as marking who built what, I'd suggest supplying (6) 8mm cubes in each color, each player gets a color. For reference, that's Terraforming Mars sized cubes, not Dominion's Project sized cubes (which are 10mm)

Update: change the "most steps" text to be clearer, it's roughly the same as Donate (except it happens during the turn due to space constraints); did not update the images because time constraints
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 05:26:45 am by spineflu »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #7282 on: October 08, 2020, 06:46:22 pm »
+3

Using Aquila's card costs: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20533.msg855268#msg855268

Doppelgänger

Exchange this for a non-Command Action from the supply you have no copies of in play. Play it.
-
§: To buy this, discard an Action card, revealed, that you have a copy of in play.

Action-Command
§

The “discard, revealed” wording is only used/needed when discarding multiple cards at once. If discarding a single card (Mountebank, Cutpurse, etc); “revealed” isn’t necessary.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

alion8me

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7283 on: October 08, 2020, 07:06:03 pm »

*Doppelgänger*

The “discard, revealed” wording is only used/needed when discarding multiple cards at once. If discarding a single card (Mountebank, Cutpurse, etc); “revealed” isn’t necessary.

Thank you; the card post has been updated with the unnecessary wording removed.

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonis20004
  • Respect: +95
    • View Profile
« Reply #7284 on: October 09, 2020, 06:08:10 am »
+2

On Completion, most steps built: Put your deck into your discard pile, and trash any number of cards;
Minor nitpick: it has to be specified where you trash the cards from.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #7285 on: October 09, 2020, 10:03:12 am »

Doppelgänger

-

Action-Command
§

What can I gain when I trash this with Remodel?

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #7286 on: October 09, 2020, 11:02:50 am »
+1

Doppelgänger

-

Action-Command
§

In theory: A card from the Supply that costs up to more; e.g. .
In practice: Either you take a Randomizer card costing more, or if you can't find it, discard an Action card with a copy in play and then you get one costing up to more.
Finally, after some futile attempts you will get a 痛 token.

alion8me

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7287 on: October 09, 2020, 11:53:18 am »

Doppelgänger

-

Action-Command
§

In theory: A card from the Supply that costs up to more; e.g. .
In practice: Either you take a Randomizer card costing more, or if you can't find it, discard an Action card with a copy in play and then you get one costing up to more.
Finally, after some futile attempts you will get a 痛 token.

Aquila's post doesn't seem to definitively answer this. I assume that you get something that costs up to $2 § (though I really can't imagine why you would want to trash Doppelgänger in the first place).

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7288 on: October 09, 2020, 12:15:13 pm »

Aquila's post doesn't seem to definitively answer this. I assume that you get something that costs up to $2 § (though I really can't imagine why you would want to trash Doppelgänger in the first place).

That is purely for flavor. You gain a second one with it, and then you have a doppel.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #7289 on: October 09, 2020, 04:26:47 pm »

Sorry about that, I didn't realise I hadn't put this on the first post of my thread. Here's what I think:

For abilities that care about costs: this is another different kind of cost to join Potion and Debt. You can't remodel a $ cost card into a [ ] or $[ ] cost or vice versa, or [ ] into Debt or Potion costs. Each differently described card cost is also incomparable, no matter how much $, Debt or Potion is with them and even though some might be distinctly easier to pay than others. So you can't remodel a [ ] into a differently described [ ], but you could remodel [ ] into $1[ ] or $2[ ] if the described cost on each card is identical.
So remodelling a Doppelganger would only let you get another Doppelganger, or a theoretical card costing $1[ ] or $2[ ] with 'to buy this, discard an Action card that you have a copy of in play'.

That said, I like the execution of the card cost with Doppelganger! It's elegant and thematic. There's always the possible issue of 'why not do it like Animal Fair?', and here it probably would be too open and easy to get. It can do better than Wish, after all.

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7290 on: October 10, 2020, 06:24:03 am »

24 hour warning!
No more submissions will be accepted after 24 hours! The judging will be out on monday.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7291 on: October 10, 2020, 08:54:39 am »

My submission:

https://www.bilder-upload.eu/bild-00f6d6-1602333658.png.html

Sumisu
$2 – Action
+6-X Cards,
where X is the number of 痛 you
have. If you have less Action
cards in play (not counting this)
than you have 痛, lose a 痛.
-----------------------------
Setup: Each player takes 5 痛.

I have used silverspawn’s mechanic of 痛 (Pain) tokens, introduced in the last contest. While silverspawn used the tokens for an all or nothing activation of Tera after they are gone, I interpreted it a bit differently and let Sumisu gradually improve with each 痛 less. Sumisu with all tokens still around is equivalent to a Ruined Library. It gradually gets better, but with every token less, it becomes harder to get further improvement.

If anyone would ever be courageous enough to play with more than one 痛 tokens card, I recommend that respective Randomizers are modified so that there are sections with differently colored borders for the 痛 tokens of each player.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 09:22:58 am by gambit05 »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7292 on: October 10, 2020, 04:12:42 pm »

On Completion, most steps built: Put your deck into your discard pile, and trash any number of cards;
it ok if i just revise the text? I don't have the time to fire up photoshop again before judgement time
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 04:17:07 pm by spineflu »

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #7293 on: October 10, 2020, 05:17:33 pm »
+1

War-Torn Village - $3
Action - Season
+2 Actions
You may trash a Treasure card from your hand. If you do, in Spring or Summer: +1 Cards; otherwise: Trash this to gain a Mercenary.

This uses Asper & Co0kieL0rd's Seasons Mechanic.

A simple village that can start deck thinning early game and then you can trade it in for a Spoils and Mercenary late game. The Seasons mechanic is mainly there to delay the Mercenary attacks, but also punishes players that buy too many as it is a glorified Necropolis in Fall and Winter if you do not want the Mercenaries.

Edit: Nerfed hard at Silverspawns suggestion.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 05:42:11 pm by Xen3k »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #7294 on: October 10, 2020, 05:21:21 pm »
+1

What's up with people making absurdly strong cards recently?

+2 Cards +2 Actions, trash a Treasure card from your hand, that makes masquerade look weak, and the other effect is even better. This seems semi-busted at 5$.

Just compare it to Spice Merchant, which is one of the strongest 4$s.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #7295 on: October 10, 2020, 05:41:30 pm »

What's up with people making absurdly strong cards recently?

+2 Cards +2 Actions, trash a Treasure card from your hand, that makes masquerade look weak, and the other effect is even better. This seems semi-busted at 5$.

Just compare it to Spice Merchant, which is one of the strongest 4$s.

Well, you are right about that one. It was not my intention to make it busted, but is seems to be so. Alterations have been made. Thanks for the feedback.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #7296 on: October 10, 2020, 07:39:32 pm »
+2

Using Lastfootnote's Trade Tokens (this replaces my previous deleted entry)

Machinist
Action - $4
Gain a card costing up to $4. You may pay a Trade token to play it twice.
---
When you buy this, take a Trade Token
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 09:38:45 pm by NoMoreFun »

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #7297 on: October 10, 2020, 08:33:43 pm »
+2

Since most of the entries this week are on the complicated side, I'm going simple. This just adds a bit of variety to the game.

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7298 on: October 11, 2020, 04:15:29 am »

it ok if i just revise the text? I don't have the time to fire up photoshop again before judgement time
It is okay, as long as I understand how it is supposed to be played (which I do). This version still doesn't address the issue though, look at the wording on Chapel: "Trash up to 4 cards from your hand."

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7299 on: October 11, 2020, 07:33:45 am »

Submissions closed.
Judging will be out by Monday.
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 21 queries.