Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546229 times)

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #7250 on: October 03, 2020, 01:23:05 pm »
+2

Updated submission

Cull - Action - $4
Reveal 4 cards from your deck. Put one copy of each differently named card in your hand, and discard or put each duplicate back in any order.
-
When you gain this, you may trash your hand.

Cull is no longer unbounded draw. This makes it so you can put back duplicates ( or discard them). It also draws one of each uniquely named card, then it Sentries the duplicates. In the opening, it's probably going to draw a copper and an estate and discard the other two. Later on, it can start being a little bit of a smithy. In a deck with lots of uniques, you've got a cheap +4 cards.

Be careful playing this in the beginning, it has a higher chance of terminally drawing your unique card you wanted to play. You can only put the card back in the deck if it is a duplicate. Opening Cull/Peasant means that playing Cull T3 has a 4/6 shot of drawing your peasant dead.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 07:24:32 pm by anordinaryman »

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #7251 on: October 04, 2020, 09:13:16 pm »
+2

The game I play in most often uses different tokens for Villagers, so this card would ideally use 1 Coffers, 1 Villager, 1 Victory token, and 1 debt token per pile, but playing the standard way, that either doesn’t work at all or is a tracking nightmare, and allowing players to take coin tokens as either Coffers or Villagers is too many words on a landscape. Games with this are silly fun and force you to think a bit differently.

I’ll say it again: Who doesn’t love Embargo tokens?

I recognize the first player advantage, but think its minor outside of the 4-player context. And really, if you have to play 4-player Dominion, your day was ruined long before this Landmark showed up.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 05:31:04 pm by spheremonk »

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #7252 on: October 06, 2020, 07:36:03 am »
+3

Time to judge.

Yeoman by alion8me: Nice and simple, and interesting to reward diversity of card types. There will be some boards where that diversity just isn't available, but on the right board it could be a lot of fun, especially if you have some control of what you draw for your next hand.

Cull by anordinaryman: I like how the sifting, drawing and trash-on-gain help each other, if you go for multiple Culls. The more diverse your deck, the more likely you are to draw 3 or 4.

Bridleway by Aquila: A cost reducer that doesn't encourage megaturn strategies. It rewards diversity in terms of what you buy each turn, and you'd want to be buying at least three differently-named cards in order for it to feel worth it.

Weird Sisters by chronostrike: This looks almost strictly better than Witch; you'd be unlucky not to be putting at least two cards in your hand, and discarding duplicates often works in your favour too.

Secret Society by D782802859: I like the concept, and it seems very strong, being able to set up your next turn at night. It's great for engines with at least three components (I'll top-deck my village, my terminal drawer and something else) but it doesn't offer any incentive to get more diverse than that.

Caste by Fragasnap: This encourages diversity in terms of card cost, which is a novel take on the challenge. It's nice to play your terminal drawer first and then hope to have some villages or cantrips to choose from. I'm struggling to get excited about diversity in terms of card cost, however.

Vulcan by gambit05: It is good how this rewards getting these diverse cards into play, not just into your deck. I wonder if it might be a bit too strong for 4, but nice and simple and I like that.

Student by grep: Interesting to reward diversity of card types and, being a Night-Duration itself, this ensures there will be at least 5 types available on the board. Little bit of sifting gives you some control of what you draw for your next hand. But so many words for the student to study on this card puts me off a bit.

Exploiter/Exploited by Jonatan Djurachkovitch: Strong enough that you really want one of these, so it's going to impact any game when it's on the board. I like how diversity is encouraged, to reduce the impact of the attack. I think the non-stacking of the attack and the self-weakening of the draw ensure it is not overpowered.

Goonies by LibraryAdventurer: Nice to see a less powerful, friendly, Goons variant. The reward for buying cards that you haven't played that turn is interesting but I think in a not-so-fun way. You either buy cards you won't want to play, or avoid playing cards that you do want to. And you'll get the +1VP if you buy a Province anyway.

Bribe by LordBaphomet: I like the concept, and nice to have a simple way to bring Prizes into the game. But as I discussed in #7215 and #7216 I don't think this event incentivises diversity.

Cornucopia by majiponi: It is good how this rewards getting these diverse cards into play, not just into your deck. Interesting comparisons with both Horn of Plenty and Harvest. It offers more predictability than Harvest, which is great. (I almost considered naming the challenge "Improve the Harvest".) The +3 Actions is helpful, but it would make me a bit sad if this was the only non-terminal in my starting hand.

Sundial by mandioca15: Introduces a mini-game around if/when to buy a less useful card just for the VP. Looks like it adds a straightforward first-player advantage. Also need to consider how this interacts with Gathering types; do you need to keep track of whether the Sundial effect has triggered for those piles?

Diverse Village by NoMoreFun: A village where you get to pick which card you draw, and you're more likely to find the right card if you've diversified. Potentially lots of deck-cycling too. Nice simple concept.

Tera by silverspawn: I like how Cities power up, and I like this, where you have to put lots of effort into playing diverse cards and then bam you've got second level Cities that only cost 2 each. Introducing another type of tokens just for this card puts me off a little.

Wartime by spheremonk: I should think this does change your priorities, in a diversifying way. I wonder if at some point the Silver and Gold become most attractive to avoid the embargo tokens (though sometimes buying Silver and Gold might count as diversifying :P). I am put off by the prospect of so many tokens sitting on the card piles.

Yeoman by spineflu: +1 Action +4 Cards if you can get sufficient diversity/luck/deck control. In many games I think this will end up being a very swingy card. (Curiously another entry called Yeoman - are Yeomen known for their diversity?!)

Gossipmonger by Xen3k: I think I like this, with the sifting helping subsequent Gossipmongers find more juicy targets. There is a lot to resolve on each play though - could it benefit from costing 5, with slightly stronger rewards?

Hard to choose (I guess it always is), but I think my favourites are:

For the diversity impact it would have on boards which include it, I'm going to choose Exploiter as the winning entry.

Winner: Exploiter by Jonatan Djurachkovitch
Runners up: Cull by anordinaryman and Tera by silverspawn.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #7253 on: October 06, 2020, 08:30:15 am »

Yeoman by spineflu: +1 Action +4 Cards if you can get sufficient diversity/luck/deck control. In many games I think this will end up being a very swingy card. (Curiously another entry called Yeoman - are Yeomen known for their diversity?!)
i think i just looked up synonyms for "harvester" to name it; congrats Jonatan!

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonis20004
  • Respect: +95
    • View Profile
« Reply #7254 on: October 06, 2020, 09:33:10 am »
+3

Challenge #90: Steal ideas!
For this challenge, you have to use a fan made mechanic that you haven't made up yourself. You could find a mechanic on this forum to use, but in case you don't want to have to find one, I have three examples here for you:

Neirai the Forgiven's "Shuffle into" mechanic
Makes other piles like the Knights or Ruins piles, by shuffling another card into them. Both the cards that use this mechanic are shuffled into other piles and are gained when uncovered.

Asper's Edicts
Sideways cards that introduce straight-up rules changes. These predate Projects, by the way.

Supernova888's Tools
Tools have different backs to regular cards. At the start of your turn, or directly after playing a card, you must play any Tools from your hand. This does not cost an Action; if you have multiple tools in your hand, you may play them in any order. Tools are regular Kingdom cards that exist in the Supply like any other card. Tools are their own type of card.

If you use a mechanic not included here, please include a link to where you got it from.

Judging criteria:
How balanced the card is.
How well the card uses the mechanic.
How well it adresses the potential flaws of the mechanic.
Creativity (How ironic.)
And lastly, it has to be fun to play with!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 04:03:46 am by Jonatan Djurachkovitch »

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #7255 on: October 06, 2020, 11:57:45 am »
+1

The mechanic my card uses is freezing by Gazbag in their expansion, Dominion: Ice Age, found here. http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=17996.0
As a reminder, here's how the mechanic works.
A number of cards in the set involve setting aside cards and putting a number of Ice tokens on them, referred to as "freezing" them. At the start of your turn you remove 1 Ice token from each card you own that is frozen with Ice tokens on it and when the last token is removed you put the card into your discard pile.
And here's the card.

Voyager is a cheaper Sentry variant, but it freezes the cards instead of trashing them.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #7256 on: October 06, 2020, 01:54:50 pm »

Does 'dealing with debt in a different way' count as a new mechanic?

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7257 on: October 06, 2020, 02:08:26 pm »

Does 'dealing with debt in a different way' count as a new mechanic?
No, it is already used in Mountain pass "in a different way", and debt isn't a fan mechanic.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #7258 on: October 06, 2020, 03:18:03 pm »
+1

Silverspawn's Faith/Attachment/Pain tokens is a great mechanic to steal. Can be summarized as "tokens that track how many times you have done something throughout the entire game; and a card that permanently changes once you have done that thing enough times."
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7259 on: October 06, 2020, 03:29:19 pm »
+1

Silverspawn's Faith/Attachment/Pain tokens is a great mechanic to steal. Can be summarized as "tokens that track how many times you have done something throughout the entire game; and a card that permanently changes once you have done that thing enough times."

yeah I'm looking forward to someone else using scolapasta's Worshipper tokens

For the record, mechanics i've made are
Trinkets
Morning Cards

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7260 on: October 06, 2020, 04:33:05 pm »

Do Trinkets count as a mechanic?

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7261 on: October 06, 2020, 05:08:52 pm »

spoils, ruins, and horses do, why wouldn't trinkets?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7262 on: October 06, 2020, 05:16:09 pm »
+1

Definitely not saying they shouldn't, I just want to be sure before I design a card.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7263 on: October 06, 2020, 05:19:27 pm »

ah good point. i suppose a judge ruling is in order

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #7264 on: October 07, 2020, 03:00:02 am »
+1

My entry:

Privateer
$5 - Action - Attack
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
Each other player gets +1 Mutineer.

Uses VioletCLM's Mutineers from the 5th Weekly card design contest. (short explanation: Mutineers are tokens worth -1VP, but you can discard a card during your action phase to get rid of one.)

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #7265 on: October 07, 2020, 03:30:07 am »
+1

Scrap Smithy
Action - $5
You may spend a Trade token to put your deck in your discard pile
Then do this three times: Look through your discard pile and put a card from it into your hand; +1 Card if you can't.
---
When you gain this, take a Trade token

Gazbag has a similar card minus the Trade token parts for the same price (in the Ice Age expansion). I've played with his card and he's playtested his card, so yours is almost certainly too strong at .
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7266 on: October 07, 2020, 03:47:58 am »
+1

I'll allow it.

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7267 on: October 07, 2020, 04:05:47 am »
+1

I edited the challenge post to include judging criteria.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7268 on: October 07, 2020, 06:34:08 am »
+1

I'll allow it.

Good, because my brain has already gone off and generated the idea.

A peddler variant, a crappy self-junker with active anti-synergy, or a busted one-card mega turn engine? You decide.

I think the existing rules nail down how this works, but just in case (tell me if this doesn't sound right):

- If you play a trinket and have 3 Celebrations in play, you draw 3 cards.
- You can't play Action cards you draw because your Action phase is over.
- You can trash all three Celebrations in response to playing one Trinket and gain +3 buys, if you want.

Though, good luck playing three terminal actions in a deck full of trinkets.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #7269 on: October 07, 2020, 07:16:46 am »
+1

Let's not forget about Seasons!
Seasons
Season cards were created as a project together with the user C0okyL0rd. They change as the game progresses. When one or more Season cards are in the Supply, use the Season mat. The Season Mat has 20 spaces on it that go in a circle, and shows the 4 Seasons. A token is used to track the current time of year, starting the game on space 1, the first of Spring. After each full round (that is, after the last player in turn order took their turn) the token is moved forward one space. After each 5 turns a new Season begins. Summer starts with turn 6, Fall with turn 11, and Winter with 16. After turn 20 it is Spring again, and so on. Season cards check the current Season and do different things depending on it.

Glade - Victory Season, $4 cost.
3VP
-
When you gain this: if it's Spring or Summer, gain 2 Horses, otherwise gain a Curse.
It's quite similar to one of Asper's own seasons cards, but the premise makes sense to me; make a card that goes against the normal flow of the game. You want Victories late, but this is desirable early. Flavour is an attractive part of seasons too, so I tried there as well; when the grass is green the horses inhabit the glade, but when the cold months come they're stabled and the crows move in.

Edit: down to 1 Curse in fall and winter.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 04:45:26 pm by Aquila »

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #7270 on: October 07, 2020, 08:26:38 am »

I like the mechanic, the flavor and the idea of your card, but if I understand it correctly, would that mean that when you gain Glade in Fall you will have 3 junk cards in your deck which have a net score of a mere 1 VP?

D782802859

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7271 on: October 07, 2020, 09:22:42 am »

I like the mechanic, the flavor and the idea of your card, but if I understand it correctly, would that mean that when you gain Glade in Fall you will have 3 junk cards in your deck which have a net score of a mere 1 VP?
That's sort of the point. You're supposed to buy it earlier in the game. Plus, since it still nets you vp, it might be useful for pileouts.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #7272 on: October 07, 2020, 09:55:52 am »

That's sort of the point. You're supposed to buy it earlier in the game. Plus, since it still nets you vp, it might be useful for pileouts.

I think I got the point, but as it is, the alternatives to gaining Glades in fall are too good. So, that forces players either to ignore it completely, or buy it early. I think it would be more interesting, if there is a still an incentive left to gain Glades late in the game.

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #7273 on: October 07, 2020, 01:30:26 pm »
+1

I vaguely remember some kind of night ways, called dreams? Does anyone know where that mechanic lives?
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

D782802859

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7274 on: October 07, 2020, 01:41:49 pm »
+1

Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.