Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546489 times)

chronostrike

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #7225 on: September 29, 2020, 08:34:57 am »
+2

Weird Sisters $5
Action - Attack
Reveal the top four cards of your deck.  Put three differently named cards from among them into your hand and discard the rest.  Each other player gains a curse.

Edited
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 09:41:22 pm by chronostrike »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #7226 on: September 29, 2020, 08:45:07 am »
+2

Yeoman • $5 • Action
+1 Action
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Discard any cards there are duplicates of, then put the remainder into your hand.

faq: you discard all cards that a duplicate exists of - so if you draw Estate / Estate / Copper / Copper, you get nothing and discard all of them. You'll either get 4, 2, 1, or 0 cards.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #7227 on: September 29, 2020, 09:06:16 am »
+2

Weird Sisters $5
Action - Attack
Reveal the top five cards of your deck.  Put three differently named cards from among them into your hand and discard the rest.  Each other player gains a curse.
This needs to cost $6 as-is. It is almost strictly better than Witch and Old Witch. When it draws 3 cards, which it will the majority of the time, it's stronger than Old Witch without letting other players trash a curse.
You could have it reveal 4 cards and put 2 differently named cards in hand and it would still be almost strictly better than Witch.

What I would suggest to let it cost $5 is to have it reveal 4 cards instead of 5 (so it's less likely to draw 3), and give the attack a drawback.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 09:07:30 am by LibraryAdventurer »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #7228 on: September 29, 2020, 12:41:37 pm »
+1

Yes, I understand the examples, though Weird Sisters as a negative example is obvious. Could you explain this with Hidden Places? Or is "diversity" restricted to "physical cards"? and not diversity of "possibilities"?

Hidden places doesn't seem to incentivize diversity in either direction. The card itself makes the game more diverse, but nothing about it makes you 'do' more diversity other than through the card itself.

To put it another way, having lots of differently named cards isn't a better idea when Hidden Places is on the board; whereas having Menagerie or Harvest on the board does make having lots of differently named cards better.

And while "lots of differently named cards" seems to be not the only type of diversity allowed by the contest; I don't think Hidden Places deals with any diversity other than "more differently named cards". Same with anything dealing with Prizes, etc.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 02:08:30 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #7229 on: September 29, 2020, 02:04:52 pm »
+2

Sundial (Landmark)

Setup: Put 1 VP token on each Supply pile. The first time a player buys a card from a pile, they get that pile's VP token.

This rewards you if you're the first player to buy a particular card. Can you make those cards work together if you buy something you don't particularly like?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7230 on: September 29, 2020, 02:09:32 pm »

Sundial (Landmark)

Setup: Put 1 VP token on each Supply pile. The first time a player buys a card from a pile, they get that pile's VP token.

This rewards you if you're the first player to buy a particular card. Can you make those cards work together if you buy something you don't particularly like?

Using VP as the incentive is disallowed by the contest... you could always put a Villager and Coffer on each pile.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #7231 on: September 29, 2020, 02:12:28 pm »
+2

Sundial (Landmark)

Using VP as the incentive is disallowed by the contest... you could always put a Villager and Coffer on each pile.

I edited the contest to allow VP to be used as an incentive.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #7232 on: September 29, 2020, 02:21:41 pm »
+2

Yes, I understand the examples, though Weird Sisters as a negative example is obvious. Could you explain this with Hidden Places? Or is "diversity" restricted to "physical cards"? and not diversity of "possibilities"?

Hidden places doesn't seem to incentivize diversity in either direction. The card itself makes the game more diverse, but nothing about it makes you 'do' more diversity other than through the card itself.

To put it another way, having lots of differently named cards isn't a better idea when Hidden Places is on the board; whereas having Menagerie or Harvest on the board does make having lots of differently named cards better.

And while "lots of differently named cards" seems to be not the only type of diversity allowed by the contest; I don't think Hidden Places deals with any diversity other than "more differently named cards". Same with anything dealing with Prizes, etc.

I got it now. Thank you, silverspawn and infangthief for your patience.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7233 on: September 29, 2020, 02:29:54 pm »
+3

My submission:

Vulcan
$4 – Action
+1 Card per differently
named Action card you
have in play.

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #7234 on: September 29, 2020, 04:19:46 pm »
+3

Student
$4 - Night - Duration
Look at the top two cards of your deck. Either discard them or put them back in any order.

At the start of your next turn, reveal your hand. If you have:
 3 or more card types: +$2;
 4 or more card types: +1 Action;
 5 or more card types: +1 Card

This card cares of the diversity of card types. You can study at night to slightly improve your mark, but probably not significantly.

infangthief

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7235 on: October 01, 2020, 09:40:06 am »

Submission:
What is the symbol that Tera gives you and subsequently rewards you for?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #7236 on: October 01, 2020, 01:32:17 pm »

Submission:

The symbol means faith in Japanese, which I thought was funny/fitting. For how it works, it doesn't matter what the symbol is. You just need some way to count to five. You can have a new token, or put coin tokens on your Island mat, or have a die in front of you. The point is that the card's effect changes the fifth time you this thing happens to you. I didn't think specifying how that happens was important.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7237 on: October 01, 2020, 01:52:50 pm »
+1

Submission:

The symbol means faith in Japanese, which I thought was funny/fitting.

I don't know why, but a couple of hours ago I tried to figure out what the symbol could mean, I searched only for a few minutes without success. Then later I visited a website (nothing special) and I got some ads in Japanese (no pictures, just text). Funny but also scary.

infangthief

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7238 on: October 01, 2020, 02:18:21 pm »

Submission:

The symbol means faith in Japanese, which I thought was funny/fitting. For how it works, it doesn't matter what the symbol is. You just need some way to count to five. You can have a new token, or put coin tokens on your Island mat, or have a die in front of you. The point is that the card's effect changes the fifth time you this thing happens to you. I didn't think specifying how that happens was important.
Ok, so they carry over from one turn to another.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7239 on: October 01, 2020, 02:33:14 pm »

Yes.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7240 on: October 01, 2020, 04:34:48 pm »

Yes.

I think if you word as "take a {faith} token" instead of "+1 {faith}", it would be a bit clearer.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7241 on: October 02, 2020, 03:03:36 am »

I'll update it before the deadline

infangthief

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7242 on: October 02, 2020, 06:28:42 am »

Deadline will be 12 noon forum time on 5th October.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7243 on: October 02, 2020, 08:22:28 am »
+6

Thematic update: you now begin with attachment tokens and lose them, rather than gaining faith tokens. Plays the same but you don't count past 5 for no reason.

Okay, actually it's pain tokens because attachment isn't just one symbol. But close enough.

I didn't call them tokens since the fact that you begin with 5 and lose them should make it clear how it works (can't reset to 0 now).

(Now updated again because conversation below.)

« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 03:31:14 pm by silverspawn »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7244 on: October 02, 2020, 01:54:27 pm »

I agree the new wording is clearer. It might be too weak; I might be wrong. I'm thinking about a hypothetical, obviously stronger version:

+2 Actions
If you have 5 differently named cards in play, +2 cards.

So this works every time, not only after the 5th play. The thing is, it just seems like once you already have 5 differently named cards in play, +2 cards, +2 actions is no longer a very strong effect generally. You probably had to draw a good bit of your deck to get to that point, as well as have bought into a diverse strategy.

Of course in the presence of Black Market, Villa, Storyteller, or Cavalry it gets a lot stronger. And in the case of Duration cards, Summon, Prince, Reserves, etc. I'm just not sure that that version would be too strong, and if it isn't, then a adding the "only after the 5th play" clause just adds a lot of words and complexity that aren't needed.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7245 on: October 02, 2020, 03:03:00 pm »

I agree the new wording is clearer. It might be too weak; I might be wrong. I'm thinking about a hypothetical, obviously stronger version:

+2 Actions

Is that obviously stronger? With Tera as-is, it takes work to activate it initially, but once you do, you can play it at the start of your turn.

I think the way you would do it ideally is to buy one around turn 5 or something, then activate it three times, then maybe buy another to activate two at once, and then suddenly buy as many as possible because now they're boomtowns for 2$.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7246 on: October 02, 2020, 03:09:44 pm »

+2 Actions

Is that obviously stronger? With Tera as-is, it takes work to activate it initially, but once you do, you can play it at the start of your turn.

I think the way you would do it ideally is to buy one around turn 5 or something, then activate it three times, then maybe buy another to activate two at once, and then suddenly buy as many as possible because now they're boomtowns for 2$.

Wait... I was reading it as you only getting the +2 cards if you have 5 differently named cards in play and no {attachment}... in other words, that "If you have 5 differently named cards in play" applies to everything after it.

I think it's ambiguous now; both interpretations could make sense. But but if he meant it the way you're reading it, then the last sentence should be in a separate paragraph, and maybe have "either way" instead of "then".

That version would be much stronger than I was thinking.

*Edit* Wait, you are the card creator; you know how you meant it. So yeah, would recommend clarifying that in the wording.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 03:14:49 pm by GendoIkari »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7247 on: October 02, 2020, 03:14:37 pm »

But...

...  it's the same wording as Swashbuckler. Except that there's a comma rather than a period, does that make a difference?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7248 on: October 02, 2020, 03:16:03 pm »
+1

But...

...  it's the same wording as Swashbuckler. Except that there's a comma rather than a period, does that make a difference?

Swashbuckler doesn't work like you think... from the official FAQ:

You cannot get the Treasure Chest unless your discard pile had at least one card.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7249 on: October 02, 2020, 03:17:06 pm »
+1

What seriously? Lol @ me not knowing that.

Damn I guess I'll change the wording again.

Edit: Okay, the current version should finally be unambiguous.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 03:32:19 pm by silverspawn »
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 22 queries.