Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547117 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #7200 on: September 28, 2020, 02:36:13 pm »

My submission:

Hidden Places
$4 Action
Reveal and then discard the
top 3 cards of the Hidden
Places deck. Play one of them,
leaving it there.
---------------------------
Setup: Make a Hidden Places
deck out of different unused
Action cards.

I don't understand how this fits the theme? It allows you to play more differently-named cards in a single game; but it doesn't provide an incentive to build a diverse deck, does it? I wouldn't think Black Market would fit the theme, either.

Maybe I misunderstood the task, but where does it say that one has to build a diverse deck?

I may have interpreted "incentivize" too narrowly. I was reading the contest as "make it so that being diverse is stronger than it normally would be". But your card does increase the chances that a diverse strategy is a good one merely by providing a way to have a lot of diversity in a single card; so that is a type of "incentive".
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #7201 on: September 28, 2020, 02:39:09 pm »

Challenge #89: Incentivise diversity Submission - EDIT THIS IS NOW AN OUTDATED SUBMISSION

Cull - Action - $4
Choose to reveal any number of cards from your deck. If they are all uniquely named, put them in your hand. If they are not, discard them all.
-
When you gain this, you may trash your hand.

Cull has unbounded draw. It can draw a lot if you have a diverse deck. How much are you willing to gamble on having uniques? Get too greedy and you draw nothing. You can usually reveal 2 cards and it's safe. 3 if you've built a deck that has lots of uniques. Then you always have the on gain benefit. You open it on 4/3 you're happy to trash the estate, the the 5/2 is still happy to open and trash that copper since it really gets in the way of having unique cards to draw. A player can choose to reveal their whole deck to (likely) put it in the discard. Some games you buy this card just for the trashing, kind of like a mint.

To clarify, you choose how many cards to reveal before revealing any. Like "I will reveal 3 cards" and then you reveal them all.

I had gotten feedback to allow the player to top-deck the cards you looked at. However; this could slow down the game too much. Someone now has to decide the order of an unbounded number of cards? That would take too long to resolve.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 01:23:47 pm by anordinaryman »

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #7202 on: September 28, 2020, 03:01:39 pm »
+4

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #7203 on: September 28, 2020, 03:02:28 pm »
+1

I may have interpreted "incentivize" too narrowly. I was reading the contest as "make it so that being diverse is stronger than it normally would be". But your card does increase the chances that a diverse strategy is a good one merely by providing a way to have a lot of diversity in a single card; so that is a type of "incentive".

I had to read the instructions at least 3 times. My immediate thought was that it is about giving an incentive for diverse strategies.
Then I saw the example (Harvest) and the early entries of the contest and thought okay it is somehow about diversity in the deck.
But then I read the text a bit more carefully, especially the part:

Diversity could be defined as the number of differently named card-shaped-things which feature in the strategy, but I would be open to other interpretations also, within the scope of the game.

So, Hidden Places was my interpretation of incentivize diversity.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 03:04:16 pm by gambit05 »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7204 on: September 28, 2020, 03:54:16 pm »
+1

Challenge #89: Incentivise diversity Submission

Cull - Action - $4
Choose to reveal any number of cards from your deck. If they are all uniquely named, put them in your hand. If they are not, discard them all.
-
When you gain this, you may trash your hand.

Cull has unbounded draw. It can draw a lot if you have a diverse deck. How much are you willing to gamble on having uniques? Get too greedy and you draw nothing. You can usually reveal 2 cards and it's safe. 3 if you've built a deck that has lots of uniques. Then you always have the on gain benefit. You open it on 4/3 you're happy to trash the estate, the the 5/2 is still happy to open and trash that copper since it really gets in the way of having unique cards to draw. A player can choose to reveal their whole deck to (likely) put it in the discard. Some games you buy this card just for the trashing, kind of like a mint.

To clarify, you choose how many cards to reveal before revealing any. Like "I will reveal 3 cards" and then you reveal them all.

I had gotten feedback to allow the player to top-deck the cards you looked at. However; this could slow down the game too much. Someone now has to decide the order of an unbounded number of cards? That would take too long to resolve.

I feel like this needs to give some benefit on-play when it fails. Maybe instead of discarding them, you could put them back on your deck? This would allow you to play a second one for a smaller number with guaranteed success. Though I suppose that version would allow you to play it for your entire deck simply to set the order of your whole deck. While that would be annoyingly slow to resolve, it probably wouldn't be too strong. But as it is, you have to show at least 4 cards in order for this to not just be a worse Smithy.

The wording is a bit awkward... You don't need the "choose to"; simply "reveal any number of cards". And instead of "uniquely named", I would borrow Menagerie's wording, "If the revealed cards all have different names".
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #7205 on: September 28, 2020, 03:56:54 pm »
+1

My entry: bribe. Pay off the judges of the tournament to nab a prize.
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #7206 on: September 28, 2020, 05:26:05 pm »
+3

I entered this before, but it didn't get runner-up:

Bridleway - Action, $6 cost.
+1 Buy
This turn, cards cost $2 less unless you've gained a copy of them during the turn.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #7207 on: September 28, 2020, 05:35:49 pm »
+1

Xen3k: Hidden Witch
There's a fun little rabbit's hole in that Hidden Witch has the Reference type, so when Hidden Witch refers to its Reference it might just refer to itself. I mean, it's clear what is meant here but it would be good if Hidden Witch could somehow be prevented from having the Reference type. Anyways. This card is, for the most part, a Journey token card. Though granted, it would be harder to implement the different types - could just be an Action/Night cards though. Its also quite powerful; Spinster is a straight up $5 effect, and Crone is it least as good as Sea Hag. Granted, for a junker only being able to junk every other time is unfortunate, but I still think Spinster could get away with being a regular Peddler. I think I'd prefer if Spinster was terminal though, in order to prevent Hidden Witch spams.

Hey Faust, just wanted to thank you for your evaluation of my card. I just wanted to clarify that Hidden Witch is not actually spammable and that is the reason it is $4 and not $5. When you play it as a Spinster it flips the reference to Crone, so you can only ever play a single Hidden Witch as a Spinster in a given turn. Likewise, playing Hidden Witch as Crone flips the Reference to Spinster allowing you to only ever play one Hidden Witch as Crone. This makes a third Hidden Witch on a given turn a dead card. At least that was how I intended it to function. Again, not sure if the mechanic actually ends up working that way.

I agree that the "Reference" card type may be a problem, but was only ever intended to be a "pointer" to the Reference card like the Heirloom type. Perhaps having the wording on Hidden Witch say that it has it's Reference text in addition to its own would help? IDK, I personally thought  the design for the entries submitted by Gambit05 and mail-mis were cleaner and less confusing. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 06:05:59 pm by Xen3k »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #7208 on: September 28, 2020, 07:58:10 pm »
+2

Diverse Village
Action - $5
+2 Actions
Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a second copy of a revealed card. Put one into your hand and discard the rest.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 07:59:20 pm by NoMoreFun »

chronostrike

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #7209 on: September 28, 2020, 08:38:17 pm »

Weird Sisters $6
Action Attack
Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal 3 differently named cards.  Put one of each of those into your hand and discard the rest.  Each other player gains a curse.

I'm not really sure whether this is good enough to cost $6.  It's better than Witch, but I'm not sure if by enough.

Another possibility is to reveal a set number like 4 and pick up one of each name.

EDIT: new version below
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 08:35:11 am by chronostrike »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7210 on: September 28, 2020, 08:45:48 pm »
+3

Weird Sisters $6
Action Attack
Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal 3 differently named cards.  Put one of each of those into your hand and discard the rest.  Each other player gains a curse.

I'm not really sure whether this is good enough to cost $6.  It's better than Witch, but I'm not sure if by enough.

Another possibility is to reveal a set number like 4 and pick up one of each name.

Doesn’t this disincentivized diversity; not incentivize it? The more diverse your deck is; the fewer cards you’re going to cycle through. And even a very non-diverse deck is going to find 3 unique cards to draw.

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #7211 on: September 28, 2020, 08:58:34 pm »
+2

Gossipmonger - $4
Action
Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck, discard any number, and put the rest back in any order. Choose a different thing per differently named card revealed this way: +1 Card; +1 Action; +1 Buy; +$1.

A sifter that gets better if it does not hit duplicates. I am not sure if it is priced correctly. It is something like a Cartographer crossed with Ironmonger.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 06:09:09 pm by Xen3k »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #7212 on: September 28, 2020, 10:07:43 pm »
+2

Gossipmonger - $4
Action
Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck, discard any number, and put the rest back in any order. Choose a different thing per differently named card revealed this way: +1 Card; +1 Action; +1 Buy; +$1.

A sifter that gets better if it does not hit duplicates. I am not sure if it is priced correctly. It is something like a Cartographer crossed with Ironmonger.
Looks balanced at $4 to me.
I like this one and nearly all of the cards entered for this week so far better than the average week's contest entries.

Here's mine
Goonies
$5 - Action
+$2
+1 Buy.
-
While this is in play, when you buy a card that you don't have a copy of in play, +1VP.

It shows just how crazy strong Goons is that you can weaken it this much and still have it be balanced at only $1 less than the original. hmmm... Actually, I'm wondering if this may be a little too weak for $5. What do you think?

EDITED EDIT: I changed exactly one word/abbreviation to create a completely new entry and then changed my entry back to Goonies when it was un-disqualified.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 07:39:18 am by LibraryAdventurer »

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #7213 on: September 28, 2020, 10:19:45 pm »
+1

Here's mine
Goonies
$5 - Action
+$2
+1 Buy.
-
While this is in play, when you buy a card that you don't have a copy of in play, +1VP.

It shows just how crazy strong Goons is that you can weaken it this much and still have it be balanced at only $1 less than the original. hmmm... Actually, I'm wondering if this may be a little too weak for $5. What do you think?

That +1VP can snowball fast. I think if it was $4 it would be an easy early buy as it will most of the time just passively give you VP. When compared to Monument, $5 seems fair.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #7214 on: September 29, 2020, 02:09:17 am »

My entry: bribe. Pay off the judges of the tournament to nab a prize.

Trashing a Gold is necessary to gain the prize, right? Put '...to gain a prize'.

Goonies
$5 - Action
+$2
+1 Buy.
-

It's quite interesting, but I think encouraging diversity via VP won't qualify for this contest.
Edit: OK it might qualify, it's not directly rewarding diversity like Museum is.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 02:14:02 am by Aquila »

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #7215 on: September 29, 2020, 03:56:12 am »
+1

I'm going to clarify that by "incentivise" diversity, I don't mean just "increase" diversity or "care about" diversity.

I mean, when this card (-shaped-thing) is on the board, something about it will encourage you to consider ways to increase the diversity of your strategy.

Let me draw a comparison with Donate and trashing. Donate increases trashing, and on boards where Donate is present, a strategy which involves trashing will probably do better than one which doesn't. But I wouldn't say that Donate incentivises trashing. The presence of Donate on the board doesn't encourage me to start looking for ways of doing more trashing than normal for this game; it already is the way!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 04:13:11 am by infangthief »

infangthief

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7216 on: September 29, 2020, 04:19:49 am »
+1

So, while I like them, I'm ruling out the following entries (unless you can point to something about them that I've missed):
- Hidden Places: Increases diversity but doesn't encourage you to look for ways to increase it.
- Bribe: Increases diversity but doesn't encourage you to look for ways to increase it.
- Weird Sisters: Cares about diversity, and causes you to consider the diversity of your deck, but doesn't incentivise it.
- Goonies: The only incentive to diversify here is the +1VP, and the challenge is to incentivise diversity in other ways, not with VP directly.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 04:26:09 am by infangthief »

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7217 on: September 29, 2020, 04:50:27 am »
+2

Sorry, I am even more confused than before.
Is your use of “incentivise” equivalent to “encourage”?
I would understand that a certain card encourages different (diverse) strategies (plural), but this seems not to be the case here as you are talking about a single strategy (singular). So, a single strategy that has a diversity of something.

In your original post you gave Harvest +1VP as a valid example. I am already not sure what “+1VP” means here? Is this on top of the card text, or is it instead of the “+$1”?
Either way, Harvest wants differently named cards in the deck. The strategy would be to have lots of them. In this context, what are the “ways to increase the diversity of this strategy”? The simplest way would be to add +1 Buy to Harvest, which allows to buy more cards (that are diverse).

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #7218 on: September 29, 2020, 04:54:37 am »
+2

I think the definition of infangthief's use of incentivize* is

"Card X incentivizes Y if the presence of X makes you do more of Y through means other than X itself"

So weird sisters (X), for example, is better the more duplicates you have. Thus, it makes you want to have more duplicates (Y), which is the opposite of more diversity. On the other hand, Meagerie (X) is better the more differently named cards (Y) you have, so it makes you want to have more differently named cards (Y), so it does inventivize diversity.

* which is pretty much what I think the word means, too.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7219 on: September 29, 2020, 05:09:34 am »

I think the definition of infangthief's use of incentivize* is

"Card X incentivizes Y if the presence of X makes you do more of Y through means other than X itself"

Is the name of the hypothethical Fan expansion "Rocket Science"?

So weird sisters (X), for example, is better the more duplicates you have. Thus, it makes you want to have more duplicates (Y), which is the opposite of more diversity. On the other hand, Meagerie (X) is better the more differently named cards (Y) you have, so it makes you want to have more differently named cards (Y), so it does inventivize diversity.

* which is pretty much what I think the word means, too.

Yes, I understand the examples, though Weird Sisters as a negative example is obvious. Could you explain this with Hidden Places? Or is "diversity" restricted to "physical cards"? and not diversity of "possibilities"?

Anyway, thanks for trying to explain it.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #7220 on: September 29, 2020, 05:48:34 am »

Okay then, here:
(sorry about the not very creative names...)

Merchant Goon
$5 - Action
+$2
+1 Buy.
-
While this is in play, when you buy a card that you don't have a copy of in play, +1 Coffers.

Nevermind this one. I'll stick with my previous entry since it qualifies now: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18987.msg854567#msg854567
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 07:41:06 am by LibraryAdventurer »

infangthief

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7221 on: September 29, 2020, 06:50:59 am »
+1

Sorry, I am even more confused than before.
Is your use of “incentivise” equivalent to “encourage”?
Yes, more or less.

I would understand that a certain card encourages different (diverse) strategies (plural), but this seems not to be the case here as you are talking about a single strategy (singular). So, a single strategy that has a diversity of something.
That second understanding is what I mean. I don't mean a diversity of strategies, I mean diversity of (something) within a strategy.

In your original post you gave Harvest +1VP as a valid example. I am already not sure what “+1VP” means here? Is this on top of the card text, or is it instead of the “+$1”?
Either way, Harvest wants differently named cards in the deck. The strategy would be to have lots of them. In this context, what are the “ways to increase the diversity of this strategy”? The simplest way would be to add +1 Buy to Harvest, which allows to buy more cards (that are diverse).
Harvest is a valid example (as are Menagerie and Horn of Plenty).
I had said I didn't want the diversity just to be incentivised using VP (like Museum does). The only reason I gave an example of Harvest +1VP (as in, Harvest card text with +1VP stuck at the start) was to make it clear that I wasn't completely outlawing VP from entries. Looks like that example did more harm than good - I'll go and update that post.
Harvest incentivises diversity in the sense that if Harvest is on the board, it encourages you to look for ways of getting more differently named cards into your deck.

Sorry gambit for the confusion. Hopefully I can update the challenge post to make it clearer.

infangthief

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7222 on: September 29, 2020, 07:00:06 am »
+1

In fact, I've updated the challenge to remove the restriction about whether VP can be used directly to reward diversity. I don't think it was helping the challenge.

LibraryAdventurer, go with whichever of Goonies or Merchant Goon you prefer.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #7223 on: September 29, 2020, 07:00:56 am »
+4

Caste
Types: Action
Cost: $4
+$2. You may play an Action from your hand costing at most $3 and an Action from your hand costing at least $5 in either order.
Caste is a Conclave variant (+2 Actions and +$2) that can play repetitive Actions, but they have to be at myriad price points.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #7224 on: September 29, 2020, 07:24:17 am »

Yes, I understand the examples, though Weird Sisters as a negative example is obvious. Could you explain this with Hidden Places? Or is "diversity" restricted to "physical cards"? and not diversity of "possibilities"?

Hidden places doesn't seem to incentivize diversity in either direction. The card itself makes the game more diverse, but nothing about it makes you 'do' more diversity other than through the card itself.
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 21 queries.