Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546907 times)

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #7175 on: September 24, 2020, 10:31:20 pm »

Reassign

+1 Buy, flip over your Necessity or Luxury.
-
Setup: Each player takes Necessity.

Event
$1
Necessity

At the start of your turn, +1 Coffers.

State
Luxury

At the start of your turn, +1 Villager.

State
Necessity/Luxury is the two sided card-shaped thing, with 6 copies total so each player can have one.

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #7176 on: September 25, 2020, 10:01:58 am »
+2

How about an Event with a Landmark on the back:

(Face)
Event: Conservation; cost 6
Gain 3 Estates. If you do, flip this.

(Reverse)
Landmark: National Park
When scoring, +1VP per Victory card you have.

Preparation notes: When choosing a random kingdom, use the Estate randomiser to determine whether to use the Conservation/National Park landscape.

To clarify, this landscape always starts the game with the Conservation event uppermost; if any player gains 3 Estates with the Conservation event, then the Conservation event is no longer available and each player's score is modified by the National Park landmark.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 11:02:56 am by infangthief »

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #7177 on: September 26, 2020, 05:41:34 pm »
+1

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #7178 on: September 27, 2020, 04:15:07 am »

24 hours warning
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7179 on: September 27, 2020, 12:29:35 pm »
+1

Ok, here is an updated version of Hidden Witch. The card text should be a little cleaner.

Hidden Witch is a normal 10 card Kingdom stack that has a normal back. Each player starts the game with a copy of its double sided Reference (Spinster/Crone) near them with Spinster face up (as indicated on that card). When in the Kingdom or the Trash, Hidden Witch uses the text and types of the active players copy of Spinster/Crone. When part of a players deck it uses that players copy regardless of whose turn it is. The text and type of Hidden Witch is set when revealed and does not change if its reference is flipped. When not revealed the text and type changes as the Reference is flipped.

Please let me know if this even works under the current rules of Dominion. I am intending this to be a proof of concept. If this just seems like a poor representation of the mechanic, I can try again. Thanks for your consideration.
I used to be able to the the images, but it is now broken for me. If you want me to judge, please make them available again.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #7180 on: September 27, 2020, 12:46:05 pm »

Ok, here is an updated version of Hidden Witch. The card text should be a little cleaner.

Hidden Witch is a normal 10 card Kingdom stack that has a normal back. Each player starts the game with a copy of its double sided Reference (Spinster/Crone) near them with Spinster face up (as indicated on that card). When in the Kingdom or the Trash, Hidden Witch uses the text and types of the active players copy of Spinster/Crone. When part of a players deck it uses that players copy regardless of whose turn it is. The text and type of Hidden Witch is set when revealed and does not change if its reference is flipped. When not revealed the text and type changes as the Reference is flipped.

Please let me know if this even works under the current rules of Dominion. I am intending this to be a proof of concept. If this just seems like a poor representation of the mechanic, I can try again. Thanks for your consideration.
I used to be able to the the images, but it is now broken for me. If you want me to judge, please make them available again.

I think I got it updated properly? Let me know if you can still not see the images.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7181 on: September 27, 2020, 04:25:04 pm »
+1

Well, I can see them from my phone, so maybe my adblocker registers them as ads for some reason.

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #7182 on: September 27, 2020, 09:52:19 pm »
+2

Final Version: Pilfer and recruit. I forgot to put this in, but they both cost $3.

Hail Satan, hail yourself!

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7183 on: September 28, 2020, 05:56:54 am »
+8

We come to the judging, finally! I have ordered entries by username.

alion8me: Reassign
Having each player start out with Necessity will massively speed up the game, I think that's the biggest impact of this Event. Maybe Necessity and Luxury could change up the gameplay a bit more rather than being straight up boosts; for insteand Necessity could be "+1 Coffers, take your -1$ token". Still almost always positive, but not quite as powerful. I think I'd also prefer if it was a little bit harder to flip the State, right now it's pretty easy to get just what you need without much opportunity cost. Maybe get rid of the +buy or up the price.

anordinaryman: Eager Hound
I gotta say I don't like the fuzziness of the shuffling rules, like it's unclear what the opponent is allowed to do exactly, and that will create uncomfortable situations where someone might be accused of cheating when they believe they act within the intended rules. It's also unclear to me whether you're supposed to be able to see where those are in your deck, as in a regular game that can be hard to avoid. Speicifically, when you play this and "discard up to 2", can you see whether the second card in your deck is an Eager Hound before deciding on how much to discard? Finally, this is going to be a Double-Lab+ when it's on the top of your deck and as such I feel that it is underpriced.

Aquila: Camping and Travelling
This is a fairly simple way to open up design space, and I think it's neat. I would advise a retheme as currently it is both flavorwise and conceptually close to the Journey token while having subtly different mechanics. The cards all seem like good fits, though I am not sure that Historian really encourages switching it up. I might like Prospector better if it did nothing on play and you could call it when flipping for its effect, makes it even slower and spikier and more in the spirit of Reserve cards.

Carline: Master
This is a pretty cool concept, I like the idea of changing setups that you can force on your opponents if they don't suit you. So, the idea has a lot of potential. However, I think some more work needs to go into the Young X cards. In particular Young Saboteur needs some kind of limitation or will easily lead to pins. And you have double-junking here, which is Mountebank-level strong. So, some rebalancing to be done here, then this could be a really cool card.

D782802859: Traitor
So this is kind of like an Apprentice variant? It's always cantrip, which is an improvement over Apprentice, but slower and less effective at converting the trashed stuff into draw. I think it's definitely worthwile for megaturns and anyways cantrip trashers are never bad. And there's an interesting decision in here in whether to use the flipping more than once. With the right setup you can probably make double-Tactician-like strategies work. So, from that perspective, I like it. i will say that I think flipping the mat is not the best design choice here, it's fiddly with all the tokens on it and could probably be worded without having to be flipped, so I gotta subtract some points for that.

gambit05: Couple
This reminds me most of Lurker. Playing 2 Couples leaves you with an extra Villager, an extra Coffer, and a Horse compared to 2 Lurkers, but it's a bit harder to pull off since you need to play enough cards and Convenience gives you no Actions. So overall, the balance is fine I think, and the gameplay should be somewhat less frustrating than Lurker since it's harder for your opponent to snipe your trashed Actions. I like it.

grep: Lair/Dragon
Certainly a cool idea for a card. It is missing shuffling instructions though. Dragon should probably be returned upon play in order to prevent Scheme abuses. If you do this, you can also make a portion of it dependent on returning it, to limit the devastation of Smaug throning this. Lab is a kind of meh effect for a 1-shot, so I'd be in favor of changing the vanilla bonuses a bit.

grrgrrgrr: Magic Coin
It kind of rubs me the wruong way that a card called "Magic Coin" is not a treasure... well, I can look past that. I'm not sure it is enough of an upgrade for Coppersmith. THe main problem is that it can't do the thing that makes Coppersmith shine - make Coppers produce $4 or more; you'll never get better than Silver with this. And this card wants to be used with a deck that draws and discards a lot, so probably an engine, and Silvers are still bad in an engine. This kind of limits the use of this to engines that cannot trash Coppers (and Apothecary; admittedly it is very good with Apothecary). It's fine for those situations, but I can't help but feel that it is too weak overall.

Gubump: Clockmaker
An artifact was one of the first ideas that came to my mind for this contest, that's definitely a worthwile design space. It worries me though that this Artifact is extremely powerful. First side Clock is Innovation+, second side is Citadel, so both are like at least $7 projects. That makes having the clock an extremely swingy affair. I imagine that the gameplay would be super frustrating. Especially since having the Clock makes it easier to keep it as you can always gain and set aside a Clockmaker if necessary. So I think this needs to be weaker in order to be a fun experience.

infangthief: Conservation/National Park
Very clever use of the dobule-sided mechanic. This creates an interesting tension; it provides as many VP as a Province, so it's very good late game, but your opponent could plan for you buying it and load up on Duchies/Estates; so the timing and whether to get it at all makes for some very interesting decisions.

Jonatan Djurachkovitch: Diplomacy
It's not easy for me to judge how strong this is, it feels a bit weak. Clearly the Expansion side is better than the Funds side. I assume that's why the VP bonus incentive is there to encourage putting coins on Funds. But it does not seem particularly elegant to me, I would prefer if there was more of a focus to what the state does, here it's already "a little bit of everything" and then also giving VP exacerbates that. I also think that Diplomacy itself should be a Project rather than an Event as you'll only ever buy it once.

LibraryAdventurer: Cheater
A main unanswered question I have it what happen when I draw a Two-Bit for my first hand (i.e. not during cleanup)? Current wording suggests you don't put in on your Tavern mat, which means openings will significantly differ based on whether it's in your first or second hand. I'm also confused about gaining Two-Bits "from its pile" as usually there are no piles for Heirlooms, and I don't know how many Two-Bits there would be. I think overall the concept of "kinda bad Heirloom that's hard to get rid of" is interesting, but these cards seem to have too much going on, I would suggest trying to trim them down to more streamlined versions.

lompeluiten: Quadrangle
I'm not sure what the backside does, I assume giving you +2 cards instead of the card's frontside effect, but for that the wording needs to change I think. I feel like it's a bit too strong, like it would be fairly easy to trigger the backside when you draw through your deck, and that effect is that of a double Lab, and it can set itself up, so with 2 of these in hand you already have 2 Labs.

LordBaphomet: Pilfer/Recruit
This is largely fine but not super exciting. The Events are mostly something you buy when there's nothing better to do with your $3, and considering that it's just frustrating when the wrong side is up, but it's not like it's really worth it to engineer a situation where the wrong side is up for your opponent. Plus, the fact that only one side provides economy can lead to increased first player advantage.

mail-mi: Bartender
This is a neat variant on Expedition, the extra buy is significant but it comes with the downside of getting tired. I'm not sure all the numbers in this add up to a good balance, like maybe you want it to cost less or draw you more cards to justify the Tiredness, but then can be evaluated in testing. Conceptually, it definitely works and offers some interesting decisions without being too complex.

majiponi: Wizard/Valkyrie
It's cute to use the fact that this card will be visible to your opponent in your hand as part of the design, but I'm not sure I like the self-moating. The first player to get the junker is already at an advantage, and the fact that the junker can be used as defense against being junked yourself makes this worse. I think being able to put this anywhere in your deck can lead to intense analysis paralysis, and be potentially political, as you know where there other players put their Wizards and you can choose where you want it to be able to defend/attack best each shuffle. I think that might slow the game down too much.

mandioca15: Construct
This seems pretty weak? You pay $8 and 2 buys to get any benefit from this, and the benefit you're getting is that... you add cards to your deck later, but they go into your hand. I can't think of many times I'd want to delay getting a card into my deck so long just for that benefit. it might work if this cost less. There would be some megaturn potential here but the fact that you can only put them into your deck one at a time really breaks this. This needs to be either significantly cheaper or more powerful.

NoMoreFun: Impersonator
This design is quite neat, and I like the way its two abilities self-syngerize if you manage to topdeck your gains. It might be a bit powerful with topdecking; Impersonator + Courtyard gives you Labs+ for $2 pretty easily. It might be easier to balance if it discarded from the top if your deck upon activation (and maybe gave an extra action to make up for that). But maybe it's okay to keep it in; there aren't that many cards that topdeck from hand after all, and Mandarin can use all the boosts it can get.

scott_pilgrim: Shaman Village
I quite like the concept of reverse Stash. And this way of doing things certainly is interesting, even if it could make things take a bit as the other player decides where to put them. There is also a political element; if you know you'll have a Moat in hand you can just let them collide and watch the world burn. Finally, I believe it can escalate too much if you do manage to collide them. you probably want a bunch if them, and if you have 3 in hand it's 3 Curses per player, with 4 it's already 6. I think it would work better as "you may reveal a Shaman Village from your hand to make each other player gain a Curse".

silverspawn: Village Outpost
This is quite nice, it will definitely be more powerful than Village when your engine comes together but it might take longer for it to come together. I'm not certain this shouldn't maybe cost $4; it is particularly good when other Villages are also available, just to make sure your first hand post-shuffle doesn't suck. I like the simplicity and think it can work.

spheremonk: Abundance/Subsistence
There are some wording issues I think, like this seems to assume that flipping over a card activates its effect, which at least there is no precedent for (and Necromancer seems to suggest that it shouldn't work that way). I also think there can be situations where you shuffle a deck with this in it, and there are no instructions for how that works. but now to the actual effects. I cannot parse how long this stays out; it feels like the intention is three turns ($4 - +3 cards - $1 for an Estate) but on the other hand purely from the wording I'd say that the second and third option happen on the same turn. Power-wise it's probably fairly powerful if you can set it up reliably. but not particularly exciting, the bonuses are pretty vanilla after all, and it feels like it's going to be more frustrating than fun to play.

spineflu: Assay
This one didn't come with instructions about shuffling. I gotta assume that you're not allowed to put it anywhere as otherwise it would be strictly better than Stash for $4. It's also for the most part better than Masterpiece as written, since you can get the same number of Silver-equivalents but one less Copper-equivalent for the same price. The fact that it's largely better than Stash also seriously hamers the design where it tries to be a card that synergizes with other red-backed cards in your deck, but you won't have any incentive to buy Stash, the only other red-backed card to date, when this is in the supply.

Xen3k: Hidden Witch
There's a fun little rabbit's hole in that Hidden Witch has the Reference type, so when Hidden Witch refers to its Reference it might just refer to itself. I mean, it's clear what is meant here but it would be good if Hidden Witch could somehow be prevented from having the Reference type. Anyways. This card is, for the most part, a Journey token card. Though granted, it would be harder to implement the different types - could just be an Action/Night cards though. Its also quite powerful; Spinster is a straight up $5 effect, and Crone is it least as good as Sea Hag. Granted, for a junker only being able to junk every other time is unfortunate, but I still think Spinster could get away with being a regular Peddler. I think I'd prefer if Spinster was terminal though, in order to prevent Hidden Witch spams.

My finalists are: Village Outpost (silverspawn), Impersonator (NoMoreFun), Bartender (mail-mi) and Conservation/National Part (infangthief). All of these take the concept into very different directions, so it's not easy to compare them. With Impersonator I am a bit too worried about it being broken, and Village Outpost I just feel should cost $4. And thne, Conservation/National Park is just a little more exciting than Bartender.

So

Winner: Conservation/National Park by infangthief

Runners-up: Village Outpost by silverspawn, Impersonator by NoMoreFun, Bartender by mail-mi

infangthief

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7184 on: September 28, 2020, 06:25:21 am »
+1

Thanks faust!

As you said, there were so many potential directions to take that challenge in.
I must credit grep's Lair/Dragon as giving the idea for having a different type of thing on the face/reverse.

infangthief

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7185 on: September 28, 2020, 09:04:49 am »
+1

For the next round:

Challenge #89: Incentivise diversity

Design a card-shaped-thing which incentivises a diverse strategy, without directly translating diversity into VP.
Diversity could be defined as the number of differently named card-shaped-things which feature in the strategy, but I would be open to other interpretations also, within the scope of the game.

Examples of official card-shaped-things which incentivise diversity are: Menagerie (the card), Harvest, Horn of Plenty, Fairgrounds and Museum.

EDIT: Removed the restriction about whether VP can be used to reward diversity.

Deadline will be 12 noon forum time on 5th October.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 06:30:58 am by infangthief »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #7186 on: September 28, 2020, 09:17:56 am »

This is a bit crazy idea I am struggling to formulate. An Event which has a card to the other side

Lair
$4 - Event
Trash a Treasure card costing $3 or more. If you did, flip this over and gain this.
Dragon
$6 - Action - Attack
+1 Action  +2 Cards  +3 Spoils
Each other player trashes a non-Victory card from hand costing $3 or more, or reveals their hand if they can't.
When this is discarded from play, flip it over and leave available as the Lair event.

A bit late as this contest is over, but Lair needs "from your hand" in the wording. And Dragon has the same issue as previously discussed with how to shuffle your deck with it there. Still, very neat idea to have an Event/Card double-sided.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #7187 on: September 28, 2020, 09:24:36 am »
+2

By the way, it's good practice to link to the cards you're judging (as faust just did); it's bothered me in the past that I had to look them up to know what the judgments referred to.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #7188 on: September 28, 2020, 10:35:32 am »
+2

Cornucopia
cost $4 - Action
+$1 per a differently named card you have in play.
If this is the first time you played a Cornucopia in this turn, +3 Actions.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 01:27:35 pm by majiponi »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7189 on: September 28, 2020, 11:24:18 am »

Cornucopia
cost $4 - Action
If this is the first Cornucopia you played in this turn, +3 Actions.

There's a slight wording difference from Crossroads which has the same ability:

"If this is the first time you played a Crossroads this turn, +3 Actions."

Pretty sure there are no situations where they act differently.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonis20004
  • Respect: +95
    • View Profile
« Reply #7190 on: September 28, 2020, 11:27:31 am »
+1

Cornucopia
cost $4 - Action

Throne Room?

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7191 on: September 28, 2020, 11:29:16 am »

Cornucopia
cost $4 - Action

Throne Room?
Also there are tracking issues with removing it from play, which is why the Crossroads wording is better.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #7192 on: September 28, 2020, 11:30:56 am »
+1

Submission:

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonis20004
  • Respect: +95
    • View Profile
« Reply #7193 on: September 28, 2020, 11:47:44 am »
+1

Here's my card: a $6 Attack Duration Lab variant with a State.

Exploiter
$6 - Action-Attack-Duration
+1 Action
Each other player without exploited takes it. Now and at the start of your next turn: if this is your only card in play, +2 Cards. Otherwise, +1 Card.
Exploited
State
When you play an Action card, if you have at least one other copy of it in play, discard a card. At the end of your turn, return this.

Edit: Fixed obvious problems with the wording on Exploited.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 11:51:27 am by Jonatan Djurachkovitch »

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #7194 on: September 28, 2020, 12:03:05 pm »
+4

I made this a while ago, but I've never submitted it in this contest and it's just too perfect for the theme.

Yeoman

Reveal your hand. +1 Card per different card type you revealed.

$4
Action

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7195 on: September 28, 2020, 12:55:35 pm »

Cornucopia
cost $4 - Action

Throne Room?

Hmm... with Throne Room, I guess technically the second time you play Cornucopia, it's still "the first Cornucopia you've played this turn"? Seems unlikely that was intended, though; I think it's confusing.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #7196 on: September 28, 2020, 01:26:44 pm »

Cornucopia
cost $4 - Action

Throne Room?

Hmm... with Throne Room, I guess technically the second time you play Cornucopia, it's still "the first Cornucopia you've played this turn"? Seems unlikely that was intended, though; I think it's confusing.

Meant the same way as Crossroads.  I'll rephrase it.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #7197 on: September 28, 2020, 01:48:34 pm »

This was My submission, but it doesn't fit the criteria. So, it is just here for fun:

Hidden Places
$4 Action
Reveal and then discard the
top 3 cards of the Hidden
Places deck. Play one of them,
leaving it there.
---------------------------
Setup: Make a Hidden Places
deck out of different unused
Action cards.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 04:52:54 am by gambit05 »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7198 on: September 28, 2020, 02:03:37 pm »
+1

My submission:

Hidden Places
$4 Action
leaving it there.
Action cards.

I don't understand how this fits the theme? It allows you to play more differently-named cards in a single game; but it doesn't provide an incentive to build a diverse deck, does it? I wouldn't think Black Market would fit the theme, either.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #7199 on: September 28, 2020, 02:08:36 pm »

My submission:

Hidden Places
$4 Action
leaving it there.
Action cards.

I don't understand how this fits the theme? It allows you to play more differently-named cards in a single game; but it doesn't provide an incentive to build a diverse deck, does it? I wouldn't think Black Market would fit the theme, either.

Maybe I misunderstood the task, but where does it say that one has to build a diverse deck?
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 21 queries.