Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546604 times)

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #7125 on: September 19, 2020, 07:39:09 pm »
+1

there's already a card named Pillage (and there's a whole lot of potential baggage around naming a card "enslave"); can I suggest "Pilfer" and "Recruit" as alternate names? then the art could be like, a thieves guild type thing.
Good idea, I'll change the names in my next mock-up
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #7126 on: September 20, 2020, 04:04:11 am »
+1

This is not an easy challenge, but here's what I came up with:
EDIT: I have updated my entry here: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18987.msg853907#msg853907
I moved the card FAQ to the post with the updated version so all the important stuff is in one post.

Cheater
Cost $5 - Action - Attack
Put a card from your discard pile into your hand. +2 Cards.
Choose one for each other player: Turn over a Two-bit on their Tavern Mat, put a Two-bit from their discard pile onto their Tavern Mat, or put a Two-bit from the trash into their discard pile.
-
Heirloom: 2 Two-bits (replaces 2 Coppers).
Cheater has a normal back, its heirloom, Two-bits is double-sided:
Two-bit Heads
Cost $1 - Treasure - Heirloom - Reserve
Gain a Copper to your hand. When you discard this from play, +1 Coffers.
-
When you draw this during clean-up, put it on your Tavern Mat. If this is on your Tavern mat at the start of your turn, play the side that's face up.
Two-bit Tails
+$2.
Discard down to 3 cards in hand.
-
When you draw this during clean-up, put it on your Tavern Mat. If this is on your Tavern mat at the start of your turn, play the side that's face up.
feedback is appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 10:00:29 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #7127 on: September 20, 2020, 05:50:45 pm »

Ok, this may not even function properly under current Dominion rules, but I took a shot at this.

You have a stack of 10 Hidden Witch cards as your Kingdom stack. Similar to Heirlooms, each player gets a Reference card for Hidden Witch. The Setup text on Hidden Witch may not be needed but I was unsure how else to set up the initial state of the Reference card. Could use some suggestions for this.

Spinster/Crone is the double sided Reference card for Hidden Witch. The Reference card is not considered to be part of your deck, but it does determine the text on the Hidden Witch cards in your deck.

So, a brief run-down of the rules for this (likely missed some things).
- Hidden Witch never has a different name than Hidden Witch.
- Hidden Witch has a set price, but I considered making it dependent on the Reference card.
- Hidden Witch does have the card type "Reference", even though it is not the double sided Reference Card. This may cause some issues, but am unsure how to resolve this.
- The card text on the actual Hidden Witch is primarily to point to the Reference card text and to establish that the text on Hidden Witch does not actually change when it is revealed. The text is set when revealed and stays the same until no longer revealed.
- The state of "being revealed" is kinda vague to me, but I am under the impression that cards that are set aside remain revealed, so the retention of card text and card types should not be too much of a hassle.
- Hidden Witch is  not considered revealed when in it's Kingdom stack, so when your Reference for it is Crone, the Hidden Witch cards in the Kingdom are considered "Night - Attack - Reference" cards, so trashing a Squire can get you a Hidden Witch at that time. This may need to be added to the text of Hidden Witch, idk.

As I said at the beginning I am not sure this actually even works. This is a really tough design challenge and I wanted to try something fancy. This is more of a proof of concept as I think this has a wide-open design space. Please let me know if this makes sense. Feedback and criticism is more then welcome.

Edit: Changed price to $4.

Edit 2: Working on a new post for this with cleaned up cards and rules. Ignore this entry.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 06:26:58 pm by Xen3k »

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #7128 on: September 20, 2020, 07:10:28 pm »
+2

Ok, this may not even function properly under current Dominion rules, but I took a shot at this.

You have a stack of 10 Hidden Witch cards as your Kingdom stack. Similar to Heirlooms, each player gets a Reference card for Hidden Witch. The Setup text on Hidden Witch may not be needed but I was unsure how else to set up the initial state of the Reference card. Could use some suggestions for this.

Spinster/Crone is the double sided Reference card for Hidden Witch. The Reference card is not considered to be part of your deck, but it does determine the text on the Hidden Witch cards in your deck.

- Hidden Witch has a set price, but I considered making it dependent on the Reference card.
- Hidden Witch does have the card type "Reference", even though it is not the double sided Reference Card. This may cause some issues, but am unsure how to resolve this.
- The card text on the actual Hidden Witch is primarily to point to the Reference card text and to establish that the text on Hidden Witch does not actually change when it is revealed. The text is set when revealed and stays the same until no longer revealed.
- The state of "being revealed" is kinda vague to me, but I am under the impression that cards that are set aside remain revealed, so the retention of card text and card types should not be too much of a hassle.
- Hidden Witch is  not considered revealed when in it's Kingdom stack, so when your Reference for it is Crone, the Hidden Witch cards in the Kingdom are considered "Night - Attack - Reference" cards, so trashing a Squire can get you a Hidden Witch at that time. This may need to be added to the text of Hidden Witch, idk.

As I said at the beginning I am not sure this actually even works. This is a really tough design challenge and I wanted to try something fancy. This is more of a proof of concept as I think this has a wide-open design space. Please let me know if this makes sense. Feedback and criticism is more then welcome.

This is sort of broken, it's a Baker that also nonterminally curses. It can only do each once a turn, but that's still a lot for $3.

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #7129 on: September 20, 2020, 07:34:11 pm »

This is sort of broken, it's a Baker that also nonterminally curses. It can only do each once a turn, but that's still a lot for $3.

It is a Baker that you can only play 1 of a turn and if you have a second one that turn you can play it as a curser. Getting more than 2 in your hand means one of them is a dead card that does nothing. You can never hand out more than 1 curse a turn with this even with villages.

It may very well need to be $4, honestly I thought I posted the $4 cost version.

Edit: And I managed to just repeat what you said. Good point, will edit the original post with a $4 cost version.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 07:37:25 pm by Xen3k »

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #7130 on: September 21, 2020, 12:52:55 am »
+1

This two-sided card is a bit crazy, but this contest is really challenging (particularly if you don’t go sideways, and I wanted to try it the hard way). Abundance is face up in the pile and it’s the side you play as an Action (you never play Subsistence). The idea is that the front of the card can be very strong because the back does very little and the card is played less often than other cards.

My goals:

•  Make a card that feels like a Journey token;
•  Provide the most extreme version of the “Durations miss the shuffle” experience;
•  Avoid shuffling the card since we know which one it is.

Regarding Types: The “Journey” type is to remind you that it’s a strange card with strange instructions (I played with colors too, but settled for the slight shading difference between the front and back). Does Abundance need the Reaction type because of its “or discarded it other than at Clean-up” bit? (I would rather not add it and just say that "Journey" covers it.) I don’t think Subsistence needs the Action type or any additional type, as it isn’t played during your Action (or any other) phase. Is that ridiculous? Does it matter?

And one more thing: Pearl Diver is finally fun!

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonis20004
  • Respect: +95
    • View Profile
« Reply #7131 on: September 21, 2020, 01:13:48 am »

This is not an easy challenge, but here's what I came up with:

Cheater
Choose one for each other player: Turn over a Two-bit on their Tavern Mat, put a Two-bit from their discard pile onto their Tavern Mat, or put a Two-bit from the trash into their discard pile.
-
Heirloom: 2 Two-bits (replaces 2 Coppers).
Cheater has a normal back, its heirloom, Two-bits is double-sided:
Two-bit Heads
Gain a Copper to your hand. When you discard this from play, +1 Coffers.
-
Two-bit Tails
+$2.
Discard down to 3 cards in hand.
-
FAQ:
- Any Two-bits on your Tavern mat are played at the start of your turn. If you draw a Two-bit during your turn, you may play it at the start of your buy phase like a normal treasure, and you choose which side to play.
- When you first put a Two-bit on your Tavern m :'(at, you choose which side is face-up. Bdut if an opponent turns it over or puts it on your Tavern mat from your discard pile with Cheater, you can't turn it over again.
- Yes, I'm aware it gets political in 3+ player games. oh well. This probably won't win, but feedback is appreciated.
I don't think that handing out two-bits from the trash is going to be fun, especially not in 3+ player games, and they're already hard enough to get rid of.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7132 on: September 21, 2020, 04:23:08 am »

<Cheater & two-bits>
I don't think that handing out two-bits from the trash is going to be fun, especially not in 3+ player games, and they're already hard enough to get rid of.
I didn't think about how hard they'd be to trash. So maybe I'll take out the part about giving them from the trash. I'm just concerned that Cheater might be too weak whenever players are able to quickly trash their Two-bits. Maybe I should have each player start with one Two-bit, and have Cheater make other players gain another Two-bit when you gain it. hmmm

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #7133 on: September 21, 2020, 05:52:08 am »
+2

<Cheater & two-bits>
I didn't think about how hard they'd be to trash. So maybe I'll take out the part about giving them from the trash. I'm just concerned that Cheater might be too weak whenever players are able to quickly trash their Two-bits. Maybe I should have each player start with one Two-bit, and have Cheater make other players gain another Two-bit when you gain it. hmmm
You could always add a different attack for players without two-bits, so keeping around a two-bit is insurance against getting hit harder.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7134 on: September 21, 2020, 06:23:27 am »
+1

I think that you want to make keeping/getting rid of your two-bits a strategical desicion.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7135 on: September 21, 2020, 07:00:16 am »

Here's the updated (final) version of my entry:

I got rid of the gaining Two-bits from the trash and made Cheater give out Two-bits on gain instead of everyone starting with two of them.
Cheater
Choose one for each other player: Turn over a Two-bit on their Tavern Mat, put a Two-bit from their discard pile onto their Tavern Mat.
-
When you gain this, each other player gains a Two-bit from its pile.
Heirloom: Two-bit.
Two-bit Heads
Gain a Copper to your hand.  When you discard this from play, +1 Coffers.
-
Two-bit Tails
+$2.
Discard down to 3 cards in hand. If you discarded an Action card or a Two-bit, you may gain a Duchy.
-
I also gave Two-bit Tails some incentive to keep them till the late game. Is it enough?
(Two-bit Heads is unchanged.)
FAQ:
- Any Two-bits on your Tavern mat are played at the start of your turn. If you draw a Two-bit during your turn, you may play it at the start of your buy phase like a normal treasure, and you choose which side to play.
- When you first put a Two-bit on your Tavern mat, you choose which side is face-up. But if an opponent turns it over or puts it on your Tavern mat from your discard pile with Cheater, you can't turn it over again.
- EDIT: Shuffling rule: When shuffling, you may put your Two-bit(s) anywhere in the top half of your deck.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 10:08:26 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #7136 on: September 21, 2020, 07:59:28 am »
+3

Impersonator
Action - $4
Gain a card costing up to $4
---
When shuffling this, you may look through your remaining deck, and may put this anywhere in the shuffled cards.

On the back, the following text is written:
While this card is on top of your deck, when you play an Action, you first get +1 Action

(Rules clarification: If you have an impersonator on top of your deck, then play a Smithy, you get +1 Action, then draw the cards. Revealing more Impersonators as you draw won't give you any more Actions).
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 08:30:36 am by NoMoreFun »

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #7137 on: September 21, 2020, 08:20:07 am »

Impersonator
Action - $4
---
When shuffling this, you may look through your remaining deck, and may put this anywhere in the shuffled cards.

While this card is on top of your deck, when you play an Action, +1 Action

(Rules clarification: If you have an impersonator on top of your deck, then play a Smithy, you get +1 Action, then draw the cards. Revealing more Impersonators as you draw won't give you any more Actions).

That looks interesting. Why not write on the back
...you first get +1 Action.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #7138 on: September 21, 2020, 08:30:15 am »

Impersonator
Action - $4
---

While this card is on top of your deck, when you play an Action, +1 Action

That looks interesting. Why not write on the back
...you first get +1 Action.

Could do that. I borrowed the wording directly from Champion (which I think gives you the Action first, not that it matters except for Black Market/Storyteller and Diadem)

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7139 on: September 21, 2020, 09:19:53 am »
+1

Please be aware of the following addendum to this week's contest:

UPDATE: Anyone who designed a 2-sided card that can enter a player's deck should specify how shuffling is handled with the different back.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #7140 on: September 21, 2020, 10:05:42 am »
+1

My submission for contest #88

This tells the fictional story of an poor Earl’s son and a rich Merchant’s daughter, who marry for money and social status. Both don’t care much about each other and have affairs, which finally ends in a tragedy. The story was told in a series of six paintings by William Hogarth.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage_A-la-Mode_(Hogarth)

Couple
$3 Action - Pact
If you have at least 3 cards in
play, flip Marriage over (it
starts with Convenience up).
  Either way, follow the instructions   
of the face-up side of Marriage.
Marriage - Convenience
Pact
+1 Coffers and gain a Horse.
                 Trash an Action card from the Supply.                 
Marriage - Affairs
Pact
  Choose one: Gain a card from the Trash; or +2 Villagers

Pacts are agreements of two (or more) parties, usually with the intention of mutual benefits.

Here, Pacts are double-sided card-shaped thingies that are shared by all players and are linked to a specific Kingdom card. This Pact is called Marriage and is associated with the Action-Pact card Couple. The two sides are Marriage-Convenience and Marriage-Affairs.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 10:21:37 am by gambit05 »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #7141 on: September 21, 2020, 11:50:58 am »

Official examples are Stash, Miserable/Twice Miserable and Deluded/Envious.

I feel like Deluded/Envious doesn't really belong on this list. There's no in-game mechanic that ever causes you to flip the State over to its other side; really the way it's used feels more like a publishing choice to save on supplies/cards. They would play out exactly the same if they had been printed on 2 separate pieces of paper instead. Of course Miserable is similar, but at least that would require new wording for Misery if it were printed as 2 separate States; and it's also not possible to ever get Twice Miserable until you have Miserable first.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #7142 on: September 21, 2020, 11:54:21 am »

Looks weak. You gotta trash 2 Estates until this does something. I cannot see any situation in which this is superior to Junk Dealer, Update or Sanctuary.

Update?

*Edit* Ah you mean Upgrade I assume?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

lompeluiten

• Bishop
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #7143 on: September 22, 2020, 03:30:20 am »

Quadrangle
Action - $5
+1 action
+3 cards
Put 2 cards on top of your deck

Flip side of the card
You may play this card if it is on top of your deck
+2 cards

The design of the back side must look like any back of a card, with only some difference in the middle, so you don't notice it while shuffeling.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7144 on: September 22, 2020, 03:57:32 am »

Official examples are Stash, Miserable/Twice Miserable and Deluded/Envious.

I feel like Deluded/Envious doesn't really belong on this list. There's no in-game mechanic that ever causes you to flip the State over to its other side; really the way it's used feels more like a publishing choice to save on supplies/cards. They would play out exactly the same if they had been printed on 2 separate pieces of paper instead. Of course Miserable is similar, but at least that would require new wording for Misery if it were printed as 2 separate States; and it's also not possible to ever get Twice Miserable until you have Miserable first.
Well, it makes it so that you can't be Deluded and Envious at the same time, that's an effect on the game. But yeah, they are not going particularly deep into the double-sidedness; I included them to make clear that submissions that only make light use of that would also be accepted, and to inspire people to not only think about kingdom cards for the design.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #7145 on: September 22, 2020, 12:12:20 pm »
+3

The State is double-sided. An Expedition variant, help your next turn at the cost of some cards during the turn after that.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #7146 on: September 22, 2020, 12:27:28 pm »

Challenge #88: Use all the design space!

This card is double-sided. Both sides have the same text/image. There is no back to this card. This card shuffles as normally.

Eager Hound - Action - $3
+2 Cards
Reveal the top 2 cards of your deck. Discard any and put the rest back in any order.
-
When no Actions are resolving, if this is the top card of your deck, you may play it.

Another in a series of Dogs that do interesting things! It sifts (the dog digs?) to help you set up other Eager Hounds to trigger. This card can even be played during an Opponents turn, your opponent minions you and you get lucky and a dog is on top of your deck.

In reality, those cases don't happen much. You want some help to trigger these dogs. Cartographer, Courtyard, probably some other card that begins with a C to all can help you set this up. If you overload on Eager Hounds to get lucky, well, just know that terminal +2 cards isn't a great card to stuff your deck with.

The bottom line is to prevent it from being played in the middle of actions that have you reveal cards from your deck, which is confusing. So, after an Action is resolved, at the start of your turn, if this card is on top (you will see it because it's double-sided), then you get to play it!

Open to feedback. This originally was a cantrip that allowed you to play Action cards when played (like a village). But this got complicated quick. So I simplified it to a terminal draw. I like the price point, but is the sifting slightly too strong? Should I change it to 1 card sifting instead? Not sure. I could price it 2 without absolutely no self-synergy (no sifting) as well. Not sure what is best.
Should this be a reaction?

« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 12:48:35 pm by anordinaryman »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #7147 on: September 22, 2020, 12:34:04 pm »
+6

Submission:

Strictly better than village, or a trap? Can you build an engine if all of your villages are on top? Maybe if you draw your deck every turn, it can work out or even be really nice?

(To be clear on the ruling, this card has a different back, you don't shuffle it into your deck, but set it aside and then put it on top afterward. If you have any other mechanisms that trigger when you shuffle, this resolves last (because the others trigger during the shuffle and this after).)

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7148 on: September 22, 2020, 02:46:22 pm »
+1

Interesting card. Basically gives +1 Action at the start of every shuffle, and if you shuffle often that's pretty good. Can make for a really consistent engine, if you have a few draw cards, but gives you terminal collission city when you mess it up.

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #7149 on: September 22, 2020, 06:49:48 pm »

Ok, here is an updated version of Hidden Witch. The card text should be a little cleaner.

Hidden Witch -$4
(no Type) Reference: Spinster/Crone
This has the text and types of its Reference. Use the active players Reference when not part of a deck.
While revealed, this does not change if its Reference flips.
(playing a card reveals it)
Spinster -(no Cost)
Action - Reference
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Coffers
Flip the Reference to Crone.
At the start of your Clean-up, flip the Reference to Spinster.
(this side starts face up)
Crone - (no Cost)
Night - Attack - Reference
Each other player gainst a Curse.
You may trash an Action card in play to gain an Imp.
Flip the Reference to Spinster.(this side starts face down)

Hidden Witch is a normal 10 card Kingdom stack that has a normal back. Each player starts the game with a copy of its double sided Reference (Spinster/Crone) near them with Spinster face up (as indicated on that card). When in the Kingdom or the Trash, Hidden Witch uses the text and types of the active players copy of Spinster/Crone. When part of a players deck it uses that players copy regardless of whose turn it is. The text and type of Hidden Witch is set when revealed and does not change if its reference is flipped. When not revealed the text and type changes as the Reference is flipped.

Please let me know if this even works under the current rules of Dominion. I am intending this to be a proof of concept. If this just seems like a poor representation of the mechanic, I can try again. Thanks for your consideration.

Edit: Updated the image source. they should be viewable again. Added card text, but without the images it is hard to convey what I am trying to do.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 11:07:10 pm by Xen3k »
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 21 queries.