Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546972 times)

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #7000 on: September 04, 2020, 05:21:59 pm »
+1

At $3 it is like a mixture of Expedition and Desperation.
Unlike both of these though, you can save up on these and trigger when needed. At $3, you could reasonably open with 2 of them and get a Platinum on turn 3. I think $4 is a good cost, it works well with TfB and gainers.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #7001 on: September 04, 2020, 05:41:03 pm »

Unlike both of these though, you can save up on these and trigger when needed. At $3, you could reasonably open with 2 of them and get a Platinum on turn 3. I think $4 is a good cost, it works well with TfB and gainers.

I don't think a deck of Platinum and 12 junk cards is something you would generally want after 3 turns. But then again last time I tried to argue against "self-junk for profit early on", a few people disagreed, so I could be wrong.

The card seemed weak at first, but kind of gets more interesting the more I've thought about it.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #7002 on: September 04, 2020, 06:02:19 pm »

Workhouse - $3
Action - Looter
+1 Buy
+ $2
You may play an Action card from your hand. Trash it and +1 Action.
-
When you gain this, gain 2 Ruins. Shuffle them and all Copper you have in play into your deck.

So, a name change and a slight change to the top and bottom half. You no longer get a card for playing an Action off of this. You get an extra Ruins on-gain which will benefit Workhouse, but it makes the turns following your first purchase of this worse and delays the first shuffle. I am not sure if the additional Ruins is a buff or a nerf and am willing to go back to just 1 Ruins if it seems too good now. I still think it is a reasonable alternative to Woodcutter instead of a strictly better Woodcutter. Feedback is welcome.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #7003 on: September 04, 2020, 06:24:25 pm »

Spending 3 turns/buys on a Platinum and 2 junk cards is like buying two Silvers and a Copper.
I think in most Kingdoms, I prefer a $3, a $4 and whatever comes up at T3.

Marpharos

• Baron
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #7004 on: September 04, 2020, 07:09:18 pm »

Workhouse - $3
Action - Looter
+1 Buy
+ $2
-
When you gain this, gain 2 Ruins. Shuffle them and all Copper you have in play into your deck.

So, a name change and a slight change to the top and bottom half. You no longer get a card for playing an Action off of this. You get an extra Ruins on-gain which will benefit Workhouse, but it makes the turns following your first purchase of this worse and delays the first shuffle. I am not sure if the additional Ruins is a buff or a nerf and am willing to go back to just 1 Ruins if it seems too good now. I still think it is a reasonable alternative to Woodcutter instead of a strictly better Woodcutter. Feedback is welcome.

In terms of the action side of this, it’s a woodcutter or it’s a woodcutter, +2 actions and trash one? I think that needs a change. Maybe it could be more like death cart but +2 actions and either trash the next action card you play or itself?

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #7005 on: September 04, 2020, 07:50:19 pm »

Workhouse - $3
Action - Looter
+1 Buy
+ $2
-

In terms of the action side of this, it’s a woodcutter or it’s a woodcutter, +2 actions and trash one? I think that needs a change. Maybe it could be more like death cart but +2 actions and either trash the next action card you play or itself?

Do you think it is too strong, or too weak? An earlier version had you draw a card if you play and trash a card off it so it could chain multiple actions off of it.

Would this be along the lines of what you are suggesting?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 08:44:59 pm by Xen3k »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #7006 on: September 04, 2020, 08:57:35 pm »
+7

Here's a new entry, now with image. I might revise Renovate later.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #7007 on: September 04, 2020, 11:15:59 pm »
+2

Here's a new entry, now with image. I might revise Renovate later.

Succinct, wonderful event. It even helps reduce 1st player advantage. And it synergizes in a good way where debt is about saving cost for later and coffers are about saving money for later. Really nice work.

Marpharos

• Baron
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #7008 on: September 05, 2020, 03:11:10 am »
+1

Do you think it is too strong, or too weak? An earlier version had you draw a card if you play and trash a card off it so it could chain multiple actions off of it.

I’d say if this always gave +2 Actions, it’s too strong for $3 and might do better at $5.
I think something more like:

+1 Buy
+$2
You may trash this or an Action card from your hand, that you may play first, for +1 Action.

That way the +Actions are conditional on poor working conditions. I don’t know if it should be $3 or $4 like this, it’s either a stop card, +1 Action or +2 Actions depending on what you trash. But it giving 2 Ruins on gain is good here in my opinion.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #7009 on: September 05, 2020, 03:20:46 am »
+1

<Workhouse>

I’d say if this always gave +2 Actions, it’s too strong for $3 and might do better at $5.
I think something more like:

+1 Buy
+$2
You may trash this or an Action card from your hand, that you may play first, for +1 Action.

That way the +Actions are conditional on poor working conditions. I don’t know if it should be $3 or $4 like this, it’s either a stop card, +1 Action or +2 Actions depending on what you trash. But it giving 2 Ruins on gain is good here in my opinion.
I like your idea, but I disagree that it should cost $5 if it always gave +2 Actions. With +2 Actions, it's still Festival with two drawbacks (the on-gain effect and having to trash an action). With your idea, it'd still be fine at $3 I think.

I also think the wording "You may trash this or an Action card from your hand, that you may play first, for +1 Action." is weird. I prefer the wording of the earlier version of Workhouse "You may play an Action card from your hand. If you do, trash it and +1 Action."
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 03:25:25 am by LibraryAdventurer »

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #7010 on: September 05, 2020, 03:39:27 am »
+1

Workhouse - $3
Action - Looter
+1 Buy
+ $2
-

I like the original a lot better and I disagree with Marpharos.

The only gripe with this I have is card that the on-gain effect is too harsh, as you really don't wanna feed Actions to this thing too often. I'd say that "gain 2 ruins" is more than sufficient, although that would disallow it from entering the contest.

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #7011 on: September 05, 2020, 08:56:51 am »
+1

Workhouse - $3
Action - Looter
+1 Buy
+ $2
You may play an Action card from your hand. If you do, trash it and get +1 Card, +1 Action.
-

Thank you to everyone for your feedback. I think I am going to stick with this version of the card for the competition. It give a bit more of a reward for trashing actions. This may be better priced at $4, but would rather it be slightly better than expected when trashing actions than not. Further feedback is more than welcome.

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonis20004
  • Respect: +95
    • View Profile
« Reply #7012 on: September 05, 2020, 09:14:44 am »
+1

The only gripe with this I have is card that the on-gain effect is too harsh, as you really don't wanna feed Actions to this thing too often. I'd say that "gain 2 ruins" is more than sufficient, although that would disallow it from entering the contest.
Maybe only shuffle in the coppers?

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #7013 on: September 05, 2020, 11:59:14 pm »
+2

My submission for this week:

Metronome

At the beginning of your turn, turn over your Journey token (it starts face up). If it is face up, discard down to 3 cards in hand. Otherwise, +2 Cards.

Project
$3

The "bad" effect happening when the Journey token is face up, instead of when it is face down, is intentional.

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7014 on: September 06, 2020, 04:35:34 am »

My submission for this week:

Metronome

At the beginning of your turn, turn over your Journey token (it starts face up). If it is face up, discard down to 3 cards in hand. Otherwise, +2 Cards.

Project
$3

The "bad" effect happening when the Journey token is face up, instead of when it is face down, is intentional.
This has very different interactions depending on if there are any journey token cards or not. Playing your giant in a 7-card hand every turn is very different from its tactician-like effect in other kingdoms. Maybe that's fun, but it makes pricing hard and sometimes promotes one specific deck setup and makes other strategies unviable. I like the idea though.

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7015 on: September 06, 2020, 06:44:20 am »

I update the wording and the cost for my submission. Here's the new version:

Owl Tower
$3 - Night-Duration
At the start of your next turn you may put your deck in your discard pile. Look through your discard pile, and put a card from it into your hand. Discard a card.
-
This is gained to your hand (instead of your discard pile).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 10:24:23 am by Jonatan Djurachkovitch »

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #7016 on: September 07, 2020, 10:02:23 am »
+3

Young Smithy
cost $3 - Action
+3 Cards
Discard a card.
---
This card is gained onto your deck.

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #7017 on: September 08, 2020, 06:40:04 pm »
+1

Judging will be... soon. I might get to it tonight, sorry if I don't.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #7018 on: September 08, 2020, 06:46:16 pm »
+2

Sailor
Types: Action, Duration
Cost: $3
+1 Action. Choose one: +1 Buy and +$1; or at the start of your next turn: +1 Card and +$1
When this is your first gain in a turn, you may set it aside. If you do, play it.
I decided it was worth adding a "when this is your first gain in a turn" clause to my own submission Sailor.
Emptying a pile all at once by reducing it to $0 is now an unfortunate happenstance rather than an untouchable design sin with 3 existing piles that can be so emptied.  However, emptying those 3 existing cards without cost reduction requires $31 (Villa), $40 (Cavalry, discrediting its draw), and $50 (Forum), where Sailor requires a mere $21, which might not be enough considering the pile will not necessarily be full.
The on-gain only triggering when it is your first-gain still lets Sailor do a lot of the fun things it wants to do without making it a constant pile-threat.  Does anyone think it dumpsters the card or does that sound reasonable?

Fold
Types: Event
Cost: $1
+1 Buy. Put your deck in your discard pile.
I like this a lot, but I don't know that it really influences the opening in a fun way.  Do I buy Steward and Fold on a $4 turn 1 and just hope against hope to draw that Steward on turn 2?  That would be strong, but will miss around 50% of the time.

Smuggled goods
Types: Treasure
Cost: $1
$1.
When you buy this, gain a card costing up to the number of cards in your hand.
This has fun functions with +Buys, but I'm not sure I'd buy it in the opening except on a $2 turn, and I don't know if it is good for $5/$2 to have such a boost when the Copper can be stomached.

Glamour
Types: Action, Attack
Cost: $3
+$2. Each other player discards a Lure card (or reveals a hand with no Lure cards).
Setup: Add an extra Kingdom card pile costing $5 or more to the Supply.  Cards from that pile are Lure cards and cost $1 less during the Buy phase.
This is clever.  I worry that Glamour itself looks weak as a terminal Silver.  It is not likely enough to hit the chosen card unless the Lure is a card desired in large number like Governor, Laboratory, or Minion.

Renovate
Types: Action
Cost: $4
Trash a card from your hand. You may gain a card costing up to $1 more than it.
When you gain this, look at the top three cards of your deck. You may trash any number of them. Put the rest back in any order.
This feels dangerous around $3/$4 ordered openings due to the chance of it finding itself and your buy from your $3 turn.  I like the $4-cost because it allows you to buy multiple Renovates and trash them for $5-cost cards.  I recommend having it trigger on Buy and look at the top 4 and trash up to 3 of them to alleviate the issue.

Negotiate
Types: Event
Cost: <5>
Gain a card costing up to $5. Each other player gets +1 Coffers.
Succinct, wonderful event. It even helps reduce 1st player advantage. And it synergizes in a good way where debt is about saving cost for later and coffers are about saving money for later. Really nice work.
A big problem is the way that giving Coffers to other players accelerates multiplayer games with a form of consistency that isn't present with the similar Bargain.  If A and B buy Negotiate, C gets 2 Coffers in the same amount of time.
If Negotiate is only ever relevant in the opening then it probably won't matter so much, but I don't think that will be true.  It might cause some pretty weird issues in multiplayer end-game scenarios with it gaining Duchies, too.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #7019 on: September 09, 2020, 05:59:03 pm »
+6

All right! Sorry this took so long! I got a chance to test most of these (anything that was submitted before like Friday, pretty much).

Contest #86 Results

Litharge by grep
This feels not all that distinct from Nomad Camp to me, except it's even less interesting because you sometimes get Nomad Camp for the +buy and have to suffer through the topdecking. And in the opening it has the same issue Nomad Camp does, which is that you might open it to hit $5... and then not hit $5. In fact on a 4/3 you have only a 40% chance of hitting 5, and the other 60% of the time you've opened silver/$4 and slowed your cycling. Sure, it's marginally better than buying Silver in money, but it is probably just a waste of a landscape most of the time. I'm not sure that I ever actually wanted to buy this in testing.

Migrate by faust
This is quite swingy in the early game. Opening it on turn 1 has a 60% chance of getting you Gold and a 40% chance of getting you nothing (except for stuff like Nobles). Later on, it becomes a slightly cheaper way to add actions if you have multiple buys and are drawing deck, which is... well, it's something, but that's kinda underwhelming. It's nice to get Golds for cheap, but it's not so nice to get nothing and it's especially not nice to see your opponent getting stuff like Goons or Grand Market while you flip Estates and get zip.

Tend by spineflu
This is a really cool idea! It feels wrong to just stick an 11th card in the otherwise nicely-ordered 10-card starting deck, but it's kinda cool. In terms of not messing with openings, making it a cantrip is definitely less irritating than the old version without the +1 Card, since you could be stuck with a 3/3 on a board where the $4's are important. That said... holy crap this thing was already strong, and with the +1 Card, it's now insane. One of the reasons Church is strong is its ability to save green cards across shuffles, and this is like Church on steroids. It's a cantrip so you can spam it, and it costs $2, and you start with one already in your deck, and it has no cap on the number of cards it can set aside, and it gives you economy too? Sign me up! And this came out in testing, too-- Tend just makes engines work, and work really well. Turns out permanently removing all the green cards from your shuffles while also letting you start your turn with a bunch of coin is very good. So while it's a great idea to make a card that starts in your deck, I don't feel like it should be this one. It's just too crazy good.

Highwayman by mandioca15
This is somewhat interesting; it has the Villa effect of being buy-neutral to pick up when you anticipate needing more buys on future turns. But it doesn't really feel like it has a leg up on Villa; it's just far less interesting (aside from needing less cost reduction to autopile, but it sucks way more to autopile). If you think about it, it's really just a Woodcutter for $2 that's also buy-neutral. You get it when you want a Woodcutter, you don't otherwise, it just lets you wait a little longer before getting it. It's nice, but it doesn't feel that impactful to me.

Chancellory by LordBaphomet
Whoa, this is so good! Topdecking is a powerful effect, especially in the early game-- that's why Royal Seal is bad, and Tracker is sometimes a good open. Being able to open Chancellory and take advantage of the topdecking both immediately and consistently is crazy. I was only able to play against bots, and I didn't bother making a bot smart enough to contest this, so I basically got free rein of it. And it feels kinda like the Flag-- you pretty much have to contest it if your opponent goes for it, but there's not nearly as much of a first mover disadvantage since the first mover gets a $4 card onto their deck instead of a garbage terminal silver junking them up. A fun way to spice up the openings for sure, but way too centralizing in my opinion.

Manufacture by Aquila
I didn't get a ton of time to play with this, but it feels underwhelming. The first choice is awkward, since early on it will probably just get you a free $2, which is not all that great. (Unless it's a power $2 like Peasant or Chapel, of course.) The second choice is... also awkward, since you need to already have to have the card you want, and there are not a ton of $5's that you want to spam but that don't help you as much on-play. As a result, you probably already hit $5 that turn, so instead of buying the $5 you can copy the $5 and buy a $3, so this option gets you a free $3, after a few shuffles. Also not that impressive. The third option... well, like I said, I'm not playing against humans, so I can't have intricate endgame dances. But I'd imagine that it's not really all that intricate; as soon as you get into greening, if you haven't cashed your Manufacture yet, you cash it for points asap.

Mausoleum by D782802859
Fun! But as other people have pointed out, overpowered. And also usually not a good source of spirits, because $6 is greater than the cost of an actual Lab and instead I get a worse Lab and a green card, or for $4 I can get a Wisp and a dead card that Wisp can't even draw. Ghost as the only village... maybe, but that seems on the level of awkwardness as Prince as the only village, possibly more because Ghost's effect isn't nearly as good as Prince's. So I'm mostly taking Mausoleum as a cheaper Duchy (and maybe grabbing some free spirits because why not), and in most cases it will be a cheaper Duchy because the condition is so easy to hit.

Sailor by Fragasnap
This is kind of a hard card to evaluate. It seems very good; it's like a slightly worse Caravan Guard/Supplies mashup that has a great on-gain effect (especially with gainers). I noticed that you said it's a net stop card, but it's actually not-- since it draws one card next turn, it's a net Peddler, like Supplies. Its Peddler mode is weaker than Supplies, but the +buy and the on-gain probably more than make up for that. And it has a high chance of hitting $5 for you in the opening (at the expense of triggering a probably-bad shuffle), so it seems pretty good. In testing, it usually felt like a nice supporting card, but never the star of the show, though I never got a board where it was the only +buy.

Lease by LibraryAdventurer
I don't think I ever ended up testing this one, unfortunately. It seems to have little middle ground between useless and centralizing... but now I'm comparing Leasing Witch to Expedition, and I'm realizing that this is actually quite good. Though it still seems to me that Leasing attacks, especially junking attacks, is going to be dominant, and you usually won't be Leasing other things unless either you have nothing better to do or there's a strong synergy (such as Feast). Also, there might be tracking issues on when it "leaves play"-- for instance, I think as written you can Lease Fortresses and then steal them with Improve. Which is funny, I suppose. But overall... it's probably just right to be Leasing cursing attacks most of the time when they're on the board, which is just gonna lead to an infuriating game.

Fold by NoMoreFun
Cute. Powerful in a lot of situations, to cycle around to your better cards faster, or skip hands that you know will be bad. The main disadvantage? It requires constant deck tracking, because unlike Messenger you have the option to do this every turn. But in general, it doesn't REQUIRE deck tracking, since if you can afford it, it will help you shuffle faster and that's something you usually want (assuming your deck is better than it was last shuffle). I don't have much else to say about this. It's reminiscent of Save and Borrow-- not game-warping, but something to constantly be aware of.

Haunted Cruise by silverspawn
I don't think I ever bought this. I can imagine a board where you might... but it would not be pleasant. First, it only even works to hit $5 on a 3/4, so if it is that important, one person can just get screwed. And it's really only important with $5's that are either great junkers or great trashers-- Old Witch, Witch, Mountebank, Recruiter, and Sentry come to mind. Maybe Counterfeit. I guess it's also good with other Exilers, like Camel Train or maybe Stockpile. But it just feels like a sad cross between Borrow and Desperation that really only works in the opening.

Smuggled Goods by artless
Interesting! But probably not too great unless you have something to do with the Smuggled Goods after gaining it. Watchtower does nice double duty. Copper trashers like Spice Merchant or Counterfeit don't mind it... but most other things don't really have much to do with it. And it's a pretty sad hand that can generate $1 with 5 spare cards, but can't generate $5. So it seems like the extra junk is often not going to be worth the gain.

Stud by gambit05
I didn't get a chance to test the new version, but it looks way worse. The old version is a cantrip with a nice on-gain and Peddler potential if you had a Horse in hand, and this is... a really bad village, with a marginally better on-gain. I haven't tested it, but it's hard to imagine buying it, unless the nonterminal draw was REALLY good and I REALLY needed a village. Even the on-gain only has a 50% chance of getting you to $5 on turn 2, which is rarely gonna be worth it (and frustrating if my opponent hits it and I don't).

Navy by mail-mi
This is quite strong. It's hard to see the impact of the attack versus bots, but it's about as strong as Minion's attack (just delayed by one turn), and Minion's attack is good. And this is a weaker Caravan Guard/Supplies, but it makes up for that by being playable on gain. There's a bit of a question of how this interacts with Squirrel/Flag and the like, but that seems like a minor issue. A more major issue is probably just that this attack is on what's effectively a cantrip, so it's very likely going to be inflicted every turn or almost every turn, and it's quite an annoying attack for that, so it probably isn't skippable, and it probably makes games less fun (though it being duration draw does counter its own attack, much like Haunted Woods).

Phoenix by pubby
This is so cool!! However Phoenix itself is pretty, uh, underwhelming. It doesn't look like it can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way :P Single-card trash for no benefit is... not great. One-shot trashing self to grab back a trashed card such as a Mining Village is... a little better, but hard to pull off. So I may never actually buy Phoenix, but still appreciate its presence, like Baker and Fool. That doesn't really feel like something you should be aiming for, though. I get that it's good to have multiple Potion-cost cards together, but one thing that does is always ensure that on the opening turn when you could blow up Gunpowder for Phoenix, you could also blow it up for something else... and that something else is probably going to be better.

Underling by anordinaryman
This is a pretty sad card. It suffers from the same syndrome as Haunted Cruise and Smuggled Goods-- the junk is just not worth the benefit. And one of the hallmarks of bad cards with good on-gain effects (think Skulk) is the ability to feed it to trash-for-benefit... but because this has the debt cost, you can't even do that (barring things like Sacrifice and Zombie Apprentice). So you get a slight speed boost in return for a permanent slowdown. I would definitely be in favor of changing its cost to $3 and adding a clause to prevent autopiling, but I think improving the top would probably be a better way to fix this. I think it would be not too strong if it gave +$2, and probably more interesting.

Brazier by Marpharos
I had to implement this as a Reaction, because it basically is. It's also kinda unintuitive that it works during Clean-up as well? But as written, it does. Anyway, that makes it seem pretty dang strong. It's effectively a +1 Card, since it keeps one junk card out of your shuffle, and on top of that it works both on gain and on discard. And then there's the can of worms of it being strictly better than Woodcutter, which is still a design principle DXV adheres to, even though Woodcutter is removed.

Glamour by chronostrike
I was unimpressed by this at first glance. A weirdly focused attack, along with adding a deliberately OP card to the supply? That just seems bad and unbalanced. It took me about thirty seconds of playing with it to change my mind. The balance might not be completely right... but the design is amazing. Even playing against a dumb bot, I got burned by Glamour a lot-- getting to open the Lure is great, but having to discard it sucks! And gaining Glamour for no reason is bad, but when your opponent starts picking up Lures, you probably want to find time for one, especially if the Lure is an engine piece like a village or a draw card. This is just such a fun and interesting card.

Ancient Settlement by xyz123
This marks the point beyond which I wasn't able to test, sadly. This is kind of a weird one. I think it has enough going for it to be useful, especially on the 3/4 where you can open a $5 and still make out with a coffer. It's annoying as the only village... but sometimes you build Shanty Town engines. When Necropolis is useful, you don't mind hanging onto it. And this gives a buy, so it does serve two purposes, although neither of them well. I do like what the coffers do to the timing-- I wouldn't expect to trigger the coffers more than 2 or 3 times, but it might lead to me buying villages too early or intentionally not playing actions in order to get them. Interesting design.

Vagabond by X-tra
The idea here is neat. I just wish the call condition were a bit... flashier. The combination of +Cards and +$ is particularly ill-suited to a card like this, since you don't know whether you'll need the money after you see what you drew, and you'll probably just use it as a Sinister Plot-esque dud saver, with the money being ancillary. That feels bad. The dead card floating around in my deck ALSO feels bad in the absence of trash for benefit. I like the pure Reserve idea... but I think this was the wrong place to try +2 Cards, +$2.

Negotiate by Fly-Eagles-Fly
This is the kind of thing that would drive me up the wall, which isn't a bad thing per se, but I think this is pretty bad, because of the chance that the coffer gets your opponent to $5. This might legitimately be a second player advantage card, because it can (and should) only be bought by the second player on turn 2, unless the second player buys a $4 on turn 1 in which case the first player can buy this on turn 2. Beyond that... well, it seems to be a mostly desperation play, because unlike Bargain, the benefit to your opponent is immediate, which basically makes this not worth it most of the time. The reason Bargain works is because they need to wait one shuffle to play the Horse, and a second shuffle to play whatever they were able to buy because they had the Horse. Here, if they get a $5 because you got Negotiate, you both see your $5's at the same time, and you're out $1 extra.

Workhouse by Xen3k
This card's on-gain is so bad that I don't really think I would go for it unless it was late and I already had deck control and really needed the buy. I don't really think buying this in the opening helps your odds of hitting $5 much; at best it will put you with 7 Coppers, 2 useful Ruins (Library/Mine), and 1 Estate going into turn 2, which is... bad. You have to wait an entire extra turn to even have a chance of seeing your opens, and then you have more garbage in your deck which it will take a bit for Workhouse to clear out. If Workhouse is the only village... well that can't possibly be worth it. Though it is nice with Fortress, but what isn't.

Metronome by alion8me
Hmm. Interesting. I think I like it. In general, big turns and terrible turns are better than a bunch of mediocre turns, at least early on. And the fact that it makes you discard your two worst cards, and then draws you two random ones, makes it significantly better than just doing nothing. I suspect that this will be unskippable on most boards, like Sinister Plot (though probably not quite as powerful). But it will be a lot of fun to play with. It might be marred by certain attacks like Swamp Hag that are more devastating on the big turn which will cause it to be annoying if one player's big turn is perpetually right after the other's. Maybe it would be better to make the whole thing optional (no drawing or discarding unless you flip), but that would make it even STRONGER, and it's already really good.

Owl Tower by Jonatan Djurachkovitch
I must admit this surprised me; it looked terrible at first glance, like an even sadder version of Harbinger that's already a pretty sad card. But, actually, it plays out closer to Scheme-- it lets you set up any card for your next turn, with the obvious downside of being a duration and not being a cantrip. But the upside is pretty big: you get to pick which card you want after you see your hand. That does a heck of a lot for reliability. It still feels underwhelming in a consistent enough deck, but on sloggier boards where consistency is hard to hit, this can be pretty useful.

Young Smithy by majiponi
Eh. It's a better draw card than Moat? It's pretty bad as the primary draw in an engine, though getting to start with one on top of your deck each turn while building is nice I guess. But the discards really add up, especially if you want to gain and play. I don't think this is a weak card, and it's not a bad design, but it's really not all that exciting. I much prefer the cards that let you topdeck other gains; they do similar things, but a lot more varied in what exactly you can accomplish with them. I get that this was shoehorned to fit the contest, but it definitely leaves the card worse off for it.

Winner: Glamour by chronostrike
Runner-up: Ancient Settlement by xyz123

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7020 on: September 10, 2020, 01:39:59 am »

Thanks Something_Smart for the great judging, and congrats to chronostrike for the first place! About my card, maybe I should give it a +$2 option, for when you know you're going to draw your deck. Making it a reserve card would also be a possibility, but that's probably not going to fix the problem.

chronostrike

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #7021 on: September 10, 2020, 08:07:20 am »
+3

Thank you Something_Smart.  To quote Sheev Palpatine: "A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one."  I'll look at the card some more and try to come up with a better balance that doesn't make it even wordier.

Congratulations to xyz123.

I know that I can be a bit trash-happy so this is my challenge:

Contest #87: Worth More Dead Than Alive

Design a card that gives some additional benefit when trashed (by a separate card).  Existing examples include Rats (+1 Card), Haunted Mirror (gain a Ghost), Fortress (all the "fB" without the "T"), or even Peddler (buy low, trash high).  Cards that don't count include Death Cart, Raze, and Tragic Hero because they trash themselves.

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #7022 on: September 10, 2020, 08:24:47 am »

More thanks to Something_Smart and congratulations to chronostrike.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #7023 on: September 10, 2020, 08:39:46 am »
+2

I have just the card for this:

Rubber Duchy
$4 - Victory
Worth 2VP.
-
When you trash this, put it into your hand.
The second time you trash any Rubber Duchy in one turn, +1VP.
Rule: This isn't a kingdom card. In games using the Rubber Duchy, it replaces the Duchy pile.

Updated.
The old version said: "When you trash this, put it into your hand.
When you trash a Rubber Duchy for the second time in one turn, +1VP."
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 02:57:32 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #7024 on: September 10, 2020, 08:45:27 am »

(Updated) Submission:

Reconstruct - Action - 2$
For the rest of this turn, copies of Reconstruct (anywhere) cost 3$ more.

Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to 0$ more than the trashed card.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 09:06:23 am by silverspawn »
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.