Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546648 times)

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #6925 on: August 31, 2020, 02:31:29 pm »

Recycle - Event, $3 cost.
Choose one: +2 Cards; or + $2; or gain a card costing $4.
-
In games using this: once per turn, when you gain a card costing $3, you may return it to its pile and get this.
Instead of a $3 gain like a Silver, you can get 2 cards, $2, or a $4, something useful whenever you want to pop it. Change the role of your gainers, only once per turn so Trader isn't broken. The $4 and $3 costs referred to are exactly those costs, not 'up to' them.

This just makes every $4 cost cost three... and you can't "get" events.
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #6926 on: August 31, 2020, 02:51:34 pm »
+1

-
In games using this: once per turn, when you gain a card costing $3, you may return it to its pile and get this.
Instead of a $3 gain like a Silver, you can get 2 cards, $2, or a $4, something useful whenever you want to pop it. Change the role of your gainers, only once per turn so Trader isn't broken. The $4 and $3 costs referred to are exactly those costs, not 'up to' them.

This feels like it's doing too many different things on one card-shaped thing. The bottom part makes it feel nothing like an event; it's just a change-of-rules for this game. It only makes any sense with mid-turn gainers, at which point it changes "gain a " into either +3 cards or +".

When buying it as an Event, the only choice that makes any sense to use is the "gain a card costing ". And that just is also basically a global rule that says "in this game, cards that cost cost instead".
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #6927 on: August 31, 2020, 06:14:47 pm »
+2

An alt-vp that lets you grab some on-gain spirits.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #6928 on: August 31, 2020, 07:17:35 pm »
+2

An alt-vp that lets you grab some on-gain spirits.

This seems way too easy to make it worth 3 to cost just (also, since it has an overpay effect, it should cost , not ).
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #6929 on: August 31, 2020, 07:44:02 pm »
+3

Sailor
Types: Action, Duration
Cost: $3
+1 Action. Choose one: +1 Buy and +$1; or at the start of your next turn: +1 Card and +$1.
When this is your first gain in a turn, you may set it aside. If you do, play it.
Vanishing economy with a Buy or vanishing next-turn Laboratory+Peddler.  You get to play it when it is your first gain too, so you can make a Workshop-variant non-terminal with a Sailor.
  • Turn 1 $5: Buy a Sailor with +1 Buy and +$1 to get another $3-cost card (which could be a Sailor with its next turn effect).
  • Turn 1 $5: Buy a Sailor with its next-turn effect and get $4 turn 2.
  • Turn 1 $4: Buy a Sailor with +1 Buy and +$1 to get a $2-cost card.
  • Turn 1 $4: Buy a Sailor with its next-turn effect and get $4 (20% draw Estate) or $5 (80% draw Copper) turn 2.
  • Turn 1 $3: Buy a Sailor with its next-turn effect and get $5 (40% draw Estate) or $6 (60% draw Copper) turn 2.
Sailor looks really good when you gain it but is a Copper with a Buy after that (and don't forget that you'll discard it from play immediately if you choose that option), unless you can afford the drag to your economy when you draw it in which case you're spending the card on your next turn.  Combos with Highway, but Sailor is a net-stop-card, so take care.

HISTORY:
Added "When this is your first gain in a turn," clause to reduce its pile threat.  The on-gain is still powerful and gives you some nice flexibility when you're using it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 06:46:21 pm by Fragasnap »
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #6930 on: August 31, 2020, 09:26:02 pm »

Boarding House - $2
Action - Looter
+1 Action
+$1
You may play an Action card from your hand.
-
When you gain this, gain a Ruins and shuffle it as well as all Copper you have in play into your deck.

Not sure about the wording or the power level for this. The on-gain effect is only really good early game to help get a $5, but the Ruins don't make it a guarantee and delays your first shuffle. I am thinking of making it shuffle all treasure in play into the deck.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 09:30:33 pm by Xen3k »

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #6931 on: August 31, 2020, 09:42:53 pm »
+1

Boarding House - $2
Action - Looter
+1 Action
+$1
-
When you gain this, gain a Ruins and shuffle it as well as all Copper you have in play into your deck.

Not sure about the wording or the power level for this. The on-gain effect is only really good early game to help get a $5, but the Ruins don't make it a guarantee and delays your first shuffle. I am thinking of making it shuffle all treasure in play into the deck.

Why "you may play an Action card from your hand" instead of just +2 Actions at the top?

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #6932 on: August 31, 2020, 09:57:03 pm »
+1

Boarding House - $2
Action - Looter
+1 Action
+$1
-

Why "you may play an Action card from your hand" instead of just +2 Actions at the top?

Yeah, I guess that would be simpler. I think that is a hold over from an earlier version of this card when you could trash the action you play off it.

Boarding House - $2
Action - Looter
+2 Actions
+$1
-

So this would make it a bad Fishing Village. Hmm, not sure if I am happy with it. I may try and make the "play an action from your hand" work so if you play a Ruins you are rewarded or change it back so you can trash the action.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #6933 on: September 01, 2020, 12:03:57 am »
+1

My entry for this week:

EDIT:
Lease
Cost 1 - Event
Set aside an Action card from the supply and take <debt> equal to half its cost (rounded up). At the start of your next turn, play the set-aside action. When it leaves play, return it to the supply.

EDIT2: I wanted to round up the halved cost to make $5 cost cards cost more to lease than $4 cost cards.

FAQ: On-buy and on-gain effects are not triggered when you Lease a card.

Lease
Cost * - Event
Set aside an Action card from the supply. At the start of your next turn, play it. When it leaves play, return it to the supply.
-
*This costs $1 plus half the cost of the card you lease (rounded up).
Should I just make it cost $2 and then make you take debt of half the cost of the leased card?
...yeah I'll go ahead and do this.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 12:13:50 am by LibraryAdventurer »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #6934 on: September 01, 2020, 12:07:10 am »
+1

Boarding House - $2
Action - Looter
+1 Action
+$1
-

Yeah, I guess that would be simpler. I think that is a hold over from an earlier version of this card when you could trash the action you play off it.

Boarding House - $2
Action - Looter
+2 Actions
+$1
-

So this would make it a bad Fishing Village. Hmm, not sure if I am happy with it. I may try and make the "play an action from your hand" work so if you play a Ruins you are rewarded or change it back so you can trash the action.
This is strictly weaker than Squire (Vineyard is the only edge case that comes to mind). Why would you want a non-drawing splitter that comes with junk and makes the next turns worse via shuffling Coppers back in?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 12:09:07 am by segura »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #6935 on: September 01, 2020, 12:43:50 am »
+3

Fold
Event - $1
+1 Buy
Put your deck in your discard pile

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #6936 on: September 01, 2020, 02:46:58 am »

My entry for this week:

EDIT:
Lease
Cost 1 - Event
Set aside an Action card from the supply and take <debt> equal to half its cost (rounded up). At the start of your next turn, play the set-aside action. When it leaves play, return it to the supply.

EDIT2: I wanted to round up the halved cost to make $5 cost cards cost more to lease than $4 cost cards.

FAQ: On-buy and on-gain effects are not triggered when you Lease a card.

Lease
Cost * - Event
Set aside an Action card from the supply. At the start of your next turn, play it. When it leaves play, return it to the supply.
-
*This costs $1 plus half the cost of the card you lease (rounded up).
Should I just make it cost $2 and then make you take debt of half the cost of the leased card?
...yeah I'll go ahead and do this.
Not sure how this would work with Debt and Potion costs. Also, you might be forced to buy this for Mountebank the first 10 turns of the game, not sure that's gonna be fun.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #6937 on: September 01, 2020, 03:31:14 am »
+1

-

This feels like it's doing too many different things on one card-shaped thing. The bottom part makes it feel nothing like an event; it's just a change-of-rules for this game. It only makes any sense with mid-turn gainers, at which point it changes "gain a " into either +3 cards or +".

When buying it as an Event, the only choice that makes any sense to use is the "gain a card costing ". And that just is also basically a global rule that says "in this game, cards that cost cost instead".
Sure, so it's trying to be a project but it's been shoehorned to fit the contest. I'll try again:

Manufacture - Event, $2 cost.
Once per game: +1 Buy. Choose one: gain a card costing up to $4; or gain a copy of a card you have in play; or +4VP.
Choose whether you want the early game bonus, the middle one or the late one. Analyse which is best.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #6938 on: September 01, 2020, 06:29:32 am »

Submission:

Haunted Cruise -- Event -- 0$

Once per turn: +1 Buy, and Exile and Curse and a Copper from the supply. At the start of your next turn, put a card you have in Exile into your hand.

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #6939 on: September 01, 2020, 10:06:56 am »
+1

Boarding House - $2
Action - Looter
+1 Action
+$1
-

Boarding House - $2
Action - Looter
+2 Actions
+$1
-

This is strictly weaker than Squire (Vineyard is the only edge case that comes to mind). Why would you want a non-drawing splitter that comes with junk and makes the next turns worse via shuffling Coppers back in?
Anything that makes you want extra gains for some reason makes this not strictly weaker. There are probably situations where you want this in Forager or Priest games just for food, although they are rare. I suppose the copper shuffling could also be nice for an overpay Doctor?

I do agree that "worse Squire with a usually bad on-gain" could use strengthening, though.

artless

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6940 on: September 01, 2020, 10:31:38 am »
+4

Smuggled goods
Treasure - $1
+$1
---
When you buy this, gain a card costing up to the number of cards in your hand.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #6941 on: September 01, 2020, 01:12:26 pm »

Submission:

Once per turn: +1 Buy, and Exile and Curse and a Copper from the supply. At the start of your next turn, put a card you have in Exile into your hand.

I feel like even if this only Exiled a Copper from the supply and not also a Curse; you still wouldn't want to buy this in the opening pretty much ever. Compare to Borrow... they both give you + to spend in your opening; but Borrow makes you put your -1 Card token on your deck as a penalty. Haunted Cruise makes you put your -1 Card token on your deck every single shuffle for the rest of the game (that's basically what gaining a junk card does); and also gives you -1 score.

When combined with other cards that Exile things, it becomes interesting outside the opening; your basically losing a to  get a good card from Exile into your hand next turn; an interesting decision. But if there are no other cards that Exile good things in the game; I don't see this getting bought.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6942 on: September 01, 2020, 01:35:38 pm »

I feel like even if this only Exiled a Copper from the supply and not also a Curse; you still wouldn't want to buy this in the opening pretty much ever. Compare to Borrow... they both give you + to spend in your opening; but Borrow makes you put your -1 Card token on your deck as a penalty. Haunted Cruise makes you put your -1 Card token on your deck every single shuffle for the rest of the game (that's basically what gaining a junk card does); and also gives you -1 score.

The curse does not enter your deck, only the copper does. If you want to model it as -1 card, you also have to model it as +1 coin since copper gives you +1 coin. With borrow, you get it once and next turn. With h/c, you get it many times, but much later since it doesn't affect you until you draw the copper the next time. Short term, h/c is much stronger than borrow, so the question is how heavily you want to discount.

But the card is not meant to be super strong in the opening. It may be better in the later game when you have thing that interact with the copper, either by wanting lots of cards or by trashing. Say you run out of cards for spice merchant or something. I don't think the situations where it'll be better than borrow will be rare.

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #6943 on: September 01, 2020, 01:41:41 pm »

Submission:

First, I would never buy this unless I had camel train, way of the camel, transport, stockpile, or I bounty hunted my good cards away. Secondly, I think it has
a bit too much overlap with transport... being a worse version that is only usable in limited kingdoms.
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6944 on: September 01, 2020, 01:47:46 pm »

You would not want 1 extra Copper in your deck and -1 VP in exchange for opening 3/5 rather than 3/4?

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #6945 on: September 01, 2020, 01:52:20 pm »
+2

It compares extremely poorly to Borrow.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #6946 on: September 01, 2020, 01:56:09 pm »

Maybe a bit late, but I simplified my card:

Stud
$3 – Action

Gain a Horse.
You may discard a Horse, for
+2 Actions.
------------------------------
When you gain this, gain a Horse onto your deck.

My first submission:

Stud
$3+   Action
+1 Action
Gain a Horse.
You may discard a Horse, for
+1 Card and +$1.
------------------------------
When you buy this, gain a Horse.
You may pay $1 more for this to
put the Horse onto your deck.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 03:32:36 pm by gambit05 »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6947 on: September 01, 2020, 02:02:05 pm »

It compares extremely poorly to Borrow.

I agree that Borrow is a better comparison than Transport, but gaining a Copper to your discard pile is not clearly worse than gaining 1 fewer card next turn. There are tons of situations where you rather have the copper.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #6948 on: September 01, 2020, 02:23:02 pm »
+1

You would not want 1 extra Copper in your deck and -1 VP in exchange for opening 3/5 rather than 3/4?

I generally like the idea, but I think the penalty is too harsh. Also, are there any official Duration-Events around?

How about, a simplified and less harsh version; something like this:

Once per turn: +1 Buy. At the end of this turn, gain a Copper into your hand.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6949 on: September 01, 2020, 02:44:19 pm »

I generally like the idea, but I think the penalty is too harsh. Also, are there any official Duration-Events around?

How about, a simplified and less harsh version; something like this:

Once per turn: +1 Buy. At the end of this turn, gain a Copper into your hand.

I think that would make the card significantly worse. A, I don't think it needs a buff (I suspect you buy it quite a lot more than borrow as-is; it compares quite favorably to Desperation in the early games, and it's not rare that Desperation is something you want to buy), and B, the Curse is important to prevent you from auto-buying it every turn once the game goes late. Having a Copper in your discard pile is negligible harm to your deck in the late game. Think of how often you buy beggar just for the +3$ even though the junking effect is three times as strong and you have to invest in a card to do it.

Actually, the fact that it gets too strong once curses are gone is the biggest problem I see.
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.