Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546331 times)

Marpharos

• Baron
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #6875 on: August 27, 2020, 04:47:12 am »

Still, it is possible and I don't think any way to get infinite VP should exist in this game

There's a lot of possible infinite loops that get infinite VPs, most of them almost impossible to happen in a random game. See this topic:

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20320.0

All that being said, I think the smaller text, infinite-loop version of Canary is better. I don't know if the discrepancy of upvotes the two posts get is an indication of other people's thoughts. If you really must avoid infinite loops, you can try this:

$1
-
When you trash this, you may replay a face-up Action card you played once this turn that's still in play.

once you replay it, is no longer "played once." All infinite loops with Canary are thus avoided. This then means you can't throne room a card, trash a Canary to then play that card again. Is this nerf worth avoiding the infinite loop? Hard to say.

I have to root for Canary as I had the same idea (although mine [haha] allowed you to discard the Canary instead of trashing it, and it costed less as to not upgrade to gold. I think your version that stays trashed and upgrades to gold is better).

I think I prefer the first version of Canary anyway for simplicity. The idea for turning cards over is there because it makes tracking that much easier but just leaving the infinite loop in is much more fun in my opinion. And in fairness, using Treasurer gives you the option for several choices each time, I'd be happy to leave it in there honestly...

Foal should probably be once per turn, otherwise you can loop it and gain all the horses with way of the mole or way of the mouse.

I would put something like"when you discard this, other than during clean-up, set this aside. If you did, gain 2 Horses." It stops you looping Foals and doesn't gain to hand. If you did want it to gain to hand, I'd just gain 1 Horses total.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #6876 on: August 27, 2020, 10:20:52 am »

Honestly just simply "gain a Horse" is probably just fine; rather than gain 2 and one of them to hand.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #6877 on: August 27, 2020, 11:33:08 am »

Handgaining a Horse with a non-terminal is just plain weird. +2 Cards would be much simpler, unless you want those TR interactions.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #6878 on: August 27, 2020, 01:09:39 pm »

24 hours left!!!!

Also, I have a couple of questions:

Ritual Sword - $2
Treasure/Heirloom

+$1
Trash an Action you have in play. If you did, +$2.

Are you forced to trash an action you have in play? Or can it also function like an ordinary copper?

Update to Bale - removed the +buy from the discard clause since it doesn't really need it
/Harvest           - was worth way too much VP. Now has a cap of 4 and lightly punishes big money, and also decks which use 1 card like lab, governor, etc.

Edit - Should I raise the VP to discourage trashing the heriloom?

Do you lose 1 VP per differently named card you have at least 4 copies of? Or is each individual copy going to bite when the 4-mark it hit? (also make sure the final version is mentioned in the original post)

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #6879 on: August 27, 2020, 03:49:46 pm »

24 hours left!!!!

Update to Bale - removed the +buy from the discard clause since it doesn't really need it
/Harvest           - was worth way too much VP. Now has a cap of 4 and lightly punishes big money, and also decks which use 1 card like lab, governor, etc.

Do you lose 1 VP per differently named card you have at least 4 copies of? Or is each individual copy going to bite when the 4-mark it hit? (also make sure the final version is mentioned in the original post)
The heirloom itself is worth 1 VP less, not the cards. What do you mean final version in the original post?
Also, that is not the final version. The final version says 4 or more, instead of at least 4.
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #6880 on: August 27, 2020, 04:15:14 pm »
+1

24 hours left!!!!

Ritual Sword - $2
Treasure/Heirloom

+$1
Trash an Action you have in play. If you did, +$2.

Are you forced to trash an action you have in play? Or can it also function like an ordinary copper?
The trashing is mandatory, as long as you have an Action in play. You can play it without Actions though.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6881 on: August 27, 2020, 04:21:46 pm »

24 hours left!!!!

The heirloom itself is worth 1 VP less, not the cards. What do you mean final version in the original post?
Also, that is not the final version. The final version says 4 or more, instead of at least 4.

So the intent is that you can't lose VP for having both this and lots of cards that you have 4 or more of; rather the worst-case is that this is just worth 0? As written it sounds like it could actually cost you in your final score.

Also the reaction part should require you to reveal it, similar to Tunnel. Not every card you discard is revealed automatically, so it's missing accountability.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #6882 on: August 27, 2020, 04:22:47 pm »

24 hours left!!!!

I think they're asking, if I had a deck of 4 Scouts and one Bale, would the Bale be worth 3 VP or 0 VP?

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6883 on: August 27, 2020, 04:25:17 pm »

24 hours left!!!!

I think they're asking, if I had a deck of 4 Scouts and one Bale, would the Bale be worth 3 VP or 0 VP?

Yes. Thank you.

LordBaphomet

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6884 on: August 27, 2020, 05:08:23 pm »
+1

24 hours left!!!!

Yes. Thank you.
The bale would be worth 3 VP

LordBaphomet

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6885 on: August 27, 2020, 05:11:37 pm »

Final Version!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6886 on: August 27, 2020, 05:34:51 pm »

Final Version!

The wording needs to have "for each differently named non-victory card" to get the 3 answer to the other question. As worded, if you have 4 Scouts, each of the 4 Scouts would subtract 1.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #6887 on: August 27, 2020, 05:38:25 pm »

What about: "For each non-Victory card in excess of 3 copies"?

LordBaphomet

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6888 on: August 27, 2020, 05:54:53 pm »

I can't make another mock-up rn, sorry grrgrrgrr!
Can we just pretend it says for each differently named non-Victory card you have four or more copies of?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6889 on: August 27, 2020, 06:05:53 pm »

I can't make another mock-up rn, sorry grrgrrgrr!
Can we just pretend it says for each differently named non-Victory card you have four or more copies of?

Oh I think it's fine for the contest, given that you've clarified what you mean. But if you continue to work on it or want to actually play with it; I recommend that wording update.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #6890 on: August 27, 2020, 09:40:46 pm »

What about: "For each non-Victory card in excess of 3 copies"?

That would make it so that 5 Scouts reduces the of Bale by 2. Which I'm pretty sure isn't what LordBaphomet intends.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6891 on: August 28, 2020, 05:50:43 pm »
+2

Judging will be done within 12 hours. Sorry for the delay.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6892 on: August 29, 2020, 08:02:36 am »
+4

Contest 85 - Results
Lots of interesting ideas, so judging was very hard.

Paperwork (bureaucrat) by X-tra
This definitely provides a neat interaction with Bureaucrat, as it is a guarantueed extra $4 when those two cards collide. Problem is that it is very common to just buy a Silver. In those instances, this Heirloom will occasionally provide a massive tempo boost that is out of the player's hands. In other words, the swinginess is too great in those instances.
Also, 2 VP is kinda odd, and so is the $5 price tag. I'm not too keen on the anti-synergy with opposing Bureaucrats either.

Studies (scholar) by Something_Smart
This Heirloom is nice when it collides with Scholar, as that allows you to play the Treasures rather than discarding those. Otherwise it will be fairly useless; it doesn't prevent you from drawing actions dead. Therefore, a mild synergy. This Heirloom on the other hand has extremely potent synergies with Tactician, Cursed Village and Minion; all the sudden these cards "combo" with Scholar.

I think that this is great design. You chose a card that definitely can use a boost, but doesn't get too much of a boost by the heirloom. Meanwhile, greater synergies exist with other cards.  Finalist

Shilling (Counting House) by mail-mi
This Heirloom is a nice attampt to make Counting House less niche: it enables the money CH provides to grow, and it provides a much needed +Buy. Meanwhile, it also slows down all strategies that despise Copper (except Donate). And still, Counting House will remain hard to use.

I think this is pretty cool overall. It definitely alters CH quite significantly, so playtesting is required to judge how well balanced it truely is.

Bale (Harvest) by LordBaphomet
That's a very unusual color scheme you have for the Heirloom. The bottom-of-the-line part is also a clever way of merging a Night effect and a Tunnel-type activation. And it fits well with Harvest.
I'm not very excited about the top part, though. The penalty for having 4 of a kind is extremely mild, to the point no strategy is going to care about it at all. Compare with Orchard, which rewards having 3 identical cards with a staggering 4 points. You should probably make the card give no points at all when there is at least one non-Victory card you have at least 4 copies (excluding Coppers and Curses)

Loot Chest (Pillage) by pubby
This is a fairly nice way of making the effect of Pillage last longer. Problem is: this effect is pretty easily neutered by opposing Pillages. On top of that Spoils are very narrowly used, which means that the vast majority of the cases, this Heirloom is essentially a Copper. It is definitely going to be quite potent in Bandit Camp driven engines, though.

Tithe (Bishop) by D782802859
This card looks like a nice synergy with Bishop. It makes Bishop more attractive early-game, as it generates 3 VP from trashing Tithe, and the Gold gaining makes it easier to get a potential Golden Deck going.
The fear I have with this card is that it trivializes the trashing portion of Dominion. Normally, you have to make sure that your economy remains healthy. Now you can go completely carefree, and have a good buying turn when you hit that gold. I think it makes games with heavy trashing more boring.

Sextant (Navigator) by chronostrike
This Heirloom will have the same problems as Harbinger has: it only does something when you hit it at the end of the shuffle. With Navigator, this is even more problematic, as it will trigger a reshuffle when you have 4 or fewer cards in your deck. It can be quite good with Vault or Wandering Minstel, but even then, it's probably not THAT exciting. Also, it should be a Reaction.

Scroll (Sage) by LibraryAdventurer
Another Heirloom that synergises with sifters. This one is probably the most potent of the bunch, as getting $2 extra out of your extra card is huge! With Sage itself, this boon can lead to some early game swinginess: will the sage just find the other card of your deck, or also provide $2 in the process? I think that is a rather ugly effect, something I'd rather not see on every Sage game.

Bonsai (Hermit) by schadd
This heirloom's synergy with Hermit is spot-on, as it mores those turns you don't wanna buy anything to get Madmen more useful. Plus, it can power up those madmen. I like this interaction. I do think it's a little on the weak side, but it gives underspending some extra merit, which is a nice touch for any game. Finalist

Ritual Sword (Cultist) by faust
This is a very interesting Heirloom, but I'm not sure if pairing it up with such a strong and centralizing card is a good idea. On one hand, it is a decent way of trimming your deck from Ruins, as you spend an Action to trash a Ruins for $3; similar to playing a Moneylender. However, spending terminal space on this kind of trashing will remain hard to justify on single terminal boards. This simultaneously buffs Cultist as well, it gives your Cultist some very sick endgame potential, utilizing its on-trash effect. Overall, it warps the effectiveness of Cultist quite a bit, not sure in what direction. Mmmm.

Tricorn (Explorer) by Aquila
Explorer definitely needs a buff, especially with Falconer and Sculpter existing. However, this sounds like quite an unreliable way of buffing Explorer. It is definitely interesting for engines that rely on terminal virtual money as payload. However, Explorer is of no use in these situations.

Minecart Coaster (Mine) by majiponi
This card definitely helps Mine bolster its role as a Gold gainer, as the card itself can be upgraded into a Gold, and there is an extra $3-costing target. That said, it also slows down Mine even further, as trashing this card with it actively thickens your deck. And other trashers will find this card OK but nothing more (except Catapult, that thing is going to be quite savage with it). Overall, decent idea but kinda boring.

Pink Himalayan Rock Salt (Mine) by JimJammer
The PHRS on-play effect looks like an attempt to make Mine actually trim your deck. However, it seems very worthless in comparison to the on-trash effect. Given that colliding your Mine with PHRS isn't overly likely to happen, you really wanna get the most out of it when it does happen, which renders the on-play effect pointless. (I keep mentioning "Mine", but it applies to all trashers really).
On top of that, the on-trash effect seems overkill to me. Especially with stronger trashers like Recruiter or Junk Dealer, this is just too much.

Booty (Pirate ship) by spineflu
It is definitely a way to make those ships hit good money quite reliably, since you can increase the income by $1 every single shuffle. And Pirate Ships probably don't have to rob anything by themselves. I'm afraid that this is too much of a buff. It also doesn't help that this Heirloom has no effect whatsoever on other cards, and that a Pirate Ship play has the offchance to kill this Heirloom.

Ledger (Counting House) by Titandrake
This Heirloom is certainly interesting. It is a bit like a one-per-game version Banquet. In those rare instances where Copper is your friend, you'd likely wanna pop it fast. In other instances, it will be probably used to give one of your final turns some extra leverage. Although it is nowhere near enough to make Counting House viable, it is still quite an improvement to the card. Finalist

Well (Courtyard) by grep
This Heirloom is definitely going to impact the viability of Courtyard big time early game. This Heirloom will definitely stand out on its own, also mucking opening theory. Given that Courtyard is already very decent, I'd have preferred it if you chose a more underpowered card, like Bureaucrat. I mean, seeing Courtyard becoming a Smithy early game is cool and all, but not something I'd like to see every game that features Courtyard.

Also, nice strategy for taking the picture, just zooming in on the heirloomee (same for next nomination).

Rack (Tormentor) by NoMoreFun
Not sure if a Heirloom like Rack is a good idea to begin with, as this Heirloom in itself is going to accumulate a decent chunk of villagers early on. And if you do want to include a Heirloom like this, it is probably best used on an underpowered card that absolutely hates to collide in Shuffle 2 (like Bard or Nomad Camp). The synergy with Tormentor is definitely nice, but I think it is better if Tormentor "on average" is a card that gives a few Imps early on and then has to switch to his Hexing duties.

Cursed Mask (Masquerade) by Xen3k
This is a pretty interesting touch on the Masquerade, putting emphasis on the "Potato" aspect of the card. Problem is, Masquerade is already one of the best cards, and the presence of this card puts Masquerade at an even more favorable position among the trashers. Other trashers probably loathe this card immensely, whereas Masquerade has great use for it. Masquerade can try to stuff the opponent with it, or strategically pop it up to give the deck some extra juice to fend off opposing Masquerades (when the deck can handle it).
It should have an extra color. Whether it's green or purple is still conjecture to this day.

Offering (Temple) by Fragasnap
I think both effects are interesting, but they shouldn't be there simultaneously. The upper line part does a nice job at improving the value of Temple as a purchase and could be the tempo boost it needed. It is also interesting for luring the opponent into wasting their turn buying a "stupid" Temple. This makes Temple even more of a noobtrap than it already is.
The lower line part is probably a little too explosive in Goons or Groundskeeper games. Timing the popup will be tricky - you want to do it as late as possible, but before your deck stalls or the game ends. Mistiming will be extremely detrimental for your chances of winning the game, maybe a little too much. The game could boil down to whoever piles first wins, leaving any potential lead irrelevant.
Overall, nice idea, but the trashing effect is probably too centralizing.

Scrap Metal (Junk Dealer) by Fly-Eagles-Fly
This is a cute way of making Junk Dealer relevant after trashing. However, you still don't want to use your Junk Dealer when Scrap Metal isn't in your hand which can be rather frustrating. In general, your deck performance will be probably worse with usable JD+Scrap Metal than with unusable JD. If you want a card that is immune to being trashed, just include Fortress in your kingdom.

Pearl (Pearl Diver) by xyz123
Pearl Diver, unlikely to be more than a Page with growth failure, now gets an Heirloom that is even more unlikely to be more than a Copper. How cute. It is thematically very spot on, and it has nice interactions with Courtyards and opposing Ghost Ships, but it is too unimpactful overall.

Canary (Mine) by Marpharos
This looks pretty nice and has the potential of giving Mine the much needed tempo boost, as turning two coppers into a Silver and a Gold is very powerful. Even better is that for most of the already-powerful trashers, this isn't much more than trashing a second card. It still needs playtesting to judge how swingy this is, as being able to trash this in Shuffle 2 is much better than trashing this in later shuffles. Fun fact: when you replay the Mine with Canary's effect, you can't do it on the Treasure that Mine gained for you. This is because replaying the Mine happens between the trashing and the gaining.

About generating infinite loops, this is a legitimate concern, as all it takes is drawing Treasurer+Watchtower, while having a Canary in your hand or in the trash. That said, it is pointless to spit too many hairs on this, as there are countless of methods of fixing this when this card would go into production (like starting with "when you trash this, and haven't already this turn,..."). Finalist

Bronze (Monument) by gambit05
This does an awful lot early game, as losing a Copper and having an extra Villager prior to T3 is pretty sick. The fact that it only leaves you with $6 to spend in the opening makes up for it (unless you don't use Bronze... you gotta have a very good reason for that). What it also makes interesting is that the Villager supply it provides depletes at some point, which means that Monument can still be hard to justify when the terminal space is tight. Definitely needs playtesting to verify if the early game acceleration is too much, but very solid entry overall. Finalist

Penny (Highway) be Segura
The fact that it doesn't provide $1 will make the early game very stiff, and makes it inferior to Pouch in effect and design. On top of that, Highway synergises better with +Buy than any other card in the entire game, so giving it a +Buy Heirloom is kinda strange as well. On the flipside, Highway is nothing but a glorified Peddler, so always having single-use +Buy with it isn't completely unreasonable. That said, I think that other cards that need +Buy to function (Delay especially) would've been better choices.

Moonstone (Bureaucrat) by silverspawn
An heirloom that turns Silvers into Golds is probably too much of a boon for Big Money strategies, leading to boring games. And I'm not sure how badly it elevates Seer. The decision to put it with Bureaucrat is quite sound, but I don't think I want to play with his heirloom at all.

Equerry (Knights) by alion8me
Cool and creative way of nerfing the knights. The effect itself is quite neat, as it enables those with a 4/3 opening to get their hands on their first knight faster. It's otherwise not an effect you can really build around, or means night and day like Pouch, but it is still a cool way of making Knight games more peaceful.

Lucky Ticket (Fairgrounds) by lombeluiten
Having to show 3 distincts is quite a tall order. In typical Dominion games, having 3 distinct victory cards just doesn't happin 'till the endgame. And even if you do, trying to draw them together can be extremely painful. Prizes are also not really the best mechanic of Dominion. So, not a fan, sorry.

Foal (Stables) by Archetype
The community has spoken: this is just plain ridiculous. Stables is already a good drawing machine, and letting it effectively draw 5 cards by discarding a Foal is just crazy. The Horse gaining also ensures that drawing a Stables without treasures is less likely. It also doesn't help that this isn't nearly as great with terminal discarders like Vault or Embassy. It is also fairly wordy for an Heirloom.

This leaves us with the following top 5.
5. Bonsai (Hermit) by schadd
4. Ledger (Counting House) by Titandrake
3. Canary (Mine) by Marpharos
2. Bronze (Monument) by gambit05
1. Studies (scholar) by Something_Smart

Congrats, Something_Smart, for winning this contest and good luck with judging the next one.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #6893 on: August 29, 2020, 11:56:48 am »
+1

Congratulations to Something_Smart and the other Finalists. Many thanks to grrgrrgrr. Good work!

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #6894 on: August 29, 2020, 07:59:57 pm »
+3

Thank you!

I'm going to be out of town during Labor Day weekend, so if I judged the next contest, I'd have to push back the judging until at least Monday, and probably Tuesday. Would that be a problem?

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #6895 on: August 29, 2020, 09:38:54 pm »
+1

Thank you!

I'm going to be out of town during Labor Day weekend, so if I judged the next contest, I'd have to push back the judging until at least Monday, and probably Tuesday. Would that be a problem?

sounds reasonable to me. weve had contests go long before

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #6896 on: August 29, 2020, 09:59:29 pm »
+3

Thank you!

Yeah, if this contest was truly weekly, we'd be on contest #102 by now. You're fine.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #6897 on: August 30, 2020, 08:40:36 am »
+2

Thank you!

For instance, in Contest #80 I took 11 days between post the challenge and the final report.

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #6898 on: August 30, 2020, 07:48:54 pm »
+1

All right, sorry for the delay. I've had quite a busy weekend.

This seems like a pretty simple theme, but as far as I can recall it's never been used before, so here goes.

Contest #86: Not just 4/3 or 5/2

Design a card or card-shaped object that can in some way affect opening splits. This could be a card with an on-gain effect that can draw or sift cards (Cavalry, Night Watchman, Den of Sin, Doctor), or one that affects setup in some way (Baker, Pooka), or anything else, as long as it allows you to get an opening split other than 4/3 or 5/2.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #6899 on: August 30, 2020, 09:27:23 pm »

i suspect this'll be unpopular but:

Tend • $2 • Action - Duration
+1 Action
Set aside any number of Victory or Shelter cards under this. At the start of your next turn, +$1 for each card set aside this way and put them in your hand.
-
Setup: Each player adds a copy of this card to their starting cards.

includes 16 copies; you only use 10 for the pile and the rest get added to everyones starting decks.
before anyone gets ornery about it mentioning Shelters when they might not be in the game: Vagrant also does this (altho yeah, vagrant comes in a set with shelters, i know)

Possible outlier openings in a standard game are:
• this + 4 copper / 2 copper 3 estates / one copper remaining (4/2)
• this + 3 estates + 1 copper / 5 copper (1 / 8 )
and then various flavors in-between.

Considered making this be a cantrip (keeps the same deck cycling as a regular split then) but, font was already getting small.
Updated copy is here: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18987.msg852807#msg852807

Also, for official things that qualify, Nomad Camp counts, yeah?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 10:37:07 am by spineflu »
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 21 queries.