Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546301 times)

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #6850 on: August 25, 2020, 02:40:39 am »

Bale (for Harvest):

Utterly lunatic with Copper trashing in multiplayer games (where you don’t get that many Actions anyway).
Is it worth too many VPs? Should I bring it back to 4/-1 instead of 5/-2?
I’d do a straightforward Tunnel variant with fixed 2VPs because I prefer player scale invariant cards. But this just boring me.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #6851 on: August 25, 2020, 03:36:13 am »

@Canary: when you trash this, you may play an Action card you have in play. If you did, discard it.

EDIT: Alternatively, 'when you trash this, exile it, and you may play an Action card you have in play.'
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 03:38:26 am by silverspawn »

lompeluiten

• Bishop
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #6852 on: August 25, 2020, 03:52:55 am »
+1

That updated version of Canary doesn't seem to fix the infinite loop. The Treasurer gets set aside and then returned to play when you play it again.

I don't see a lot of issue with the infinite loop. Al stars have to align from 3 different sets, and the combo does not have infinite buys. To be really overpowered you also need an engine with a lot of extra buys. If that would happen, and you manage to pull it of... YOU HAVE EARNED IT!

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #6853 on: August 25, 2020, 09:08:52 am »

That updated version of Canary doesn't seem to fix the infinite loop. The Treasurer gets set aside and then returned to play when you play it again.

I don't see a lot of issue with the infinite loop. Al stars have to align from 3 different sets, and the combo does not have infinite buys. To be really overpowered you also need an engine with a lot of extra buys. If that would happen, and you manage to pull it of... YOU HAVE EARNED IT!
This is not even that hard to pull off. Just play treasurer to trash it. On a later turn, you only need those 3 specific cards in your hand to pull it off. Also, if tomb is in the kingdom that's infinite VP
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

lompeluiten

• Bishop
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #6854 on: August 25, 2020, 10:32:18 am »

This is not even that hard to pull off. Just play treasurer to trash it. On a later turn, you only need those 3 specific cards in your hand to pull it off. Also, if tomb is in the kingdom that's infinite VP

With small I mean that if you randomize the chance that this kingdom hits is very small.

LordBaphomet

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6855 on: August 25, 2020, 11:13:35 am »

With small I mean that if you randomize the chance that this kingdom hits is very small.
Still, it is possible and I don't think any way to get infinite VP should exist in this game

Marpharos

• Baron
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #6856 on: August 25, 2020, 11:56:53 am »

Still, it is possible and I don't think any way to get infinite VP should exist in this game

While I want to promote reusing this effect in turns because it sounds fun, I agree there shouldn't be a way to receive infinite VP. I thought about Exiling vs trash and I think I like bringing it back if possible. Also, I know it's a small thing but in games where each player is only able to Exile a Canary and never bring it back where Canary is the only card that can be Exiled seems like a waste of setup time and table space.

I took a page out of the Necronomicon and figured turning cards over works just as nicely. No confusion with what cards are set aside that way and the loop becomes finite.

$1
-
When you trash this, you may replay a face-up Action card you played this turn that's still in play. Turn it face-down for the turn.

Edit: I just wanted to include that I'm fully on board with lompeluiten's sentiment of if you can pull it off, you've earned it!

EDIT: I prefer the original submission, even if it's missing the Heirloom text across the bottom:

« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 04:51:32 am by Marpharos »

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #6857 on: August 25, 2020, 12:04:53 pm »

Bale (for Harvest):

Utterly lunatic with Copper trashing in multiplayer games (where you don’t get that many Actions anyway).
Is it worth too many VPs? Should I bring it back to 4/-1 instead of 5/-2?
I’d do a straightforward Tunnel variant with fixed 2VPs because I prefer player scale invariant cards. But this just boring me.

I don't see any problem with having an interesting VP condition attached to it. It's more like a landmark than a Kingdom Victory card; under most circumstances each player will only get exactly one of these. (You could price it at $2 or less to avoid interactions with many of the trashing attacks in the game, too - this still leaves Locusts and Swindler but heirlooms like Magic Lamp and Pasture already suffer from this problem, and Bale is not significantly more points than Pasture. Having it be arguably weaker than Copper for its non-vp effect makes it hurt less when it is hit, also.)

I kind of wish the condition was tied to a lower number of copies though because this feels like it will not come up super often.

LordBaphomet

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6858 on: August 25, 2020, 12:15:55 pm »
+1

It loses less VP each time, but the threshold is one lower. Costs two so it can't be trashed with most attacks.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #6859 on: August 26, 2020, 03:27:09 am »
+1

It already does (Goons/Forum/Highway/Trader).
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

LordBaphomet

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6860 on: August 26, 2020, 10:25:18 am »

Ism't that combo limited by the amount of silvers?

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #6861 on: August 26, 2020, 11:08:19 am »
+1

Ism't that combo limited by the amount of silvers?
You can still use Trader once the Silver pile is empty, you just gain nothing. At least that's how it used to be. There was some discussion about changing Trader's wording a while ago, not sure where that went.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #6862 on: August 26, 2020, 12:53:04 pm »
+1

There's a lot of possible infinite loops that get infinite VPs, most of them almost impossible to happen in a random game. See this topic:

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20320.0

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #6863 on: August 26, 2020, 04:30:19 pm »

There's a lot of possible infinite loops that get infinite VPs, most of them almost impossible to happen in a random game. See this topic:

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20320.0

If we're being pedantic, it's impossible to get infinite VP because Dominion takes place in finite time. Eventually, the players die. Hopefully before that, they get bored and end the loop. Even more likely, the other player sees that they will lose and forfeit.

It seems the real issue here is, should there be a strategy that, for any N, allows a player to reach more than N victory points? As Carline indicated, already these strategies exist. But this strategy can exist without any combos. Simply adding Monument to the game means players can reach any victory point they desire. Your opponent may seek to end the game. Or, they see that they will lose and forfeit. Or, they have a strategy to get more points quickly, even though there strategy is bounded in the number of points they can get.

All that being said, I think the smaller text, infinite-loop version of Canary is better. I don't know if the discrepancy of upvotes the two posts get is an indication of other people's thoughts. If you really must avoid infinite loops, you can try this:

$1
-
When you trash this, you may replay a face-up Action card you played once this turn that's still in play.

once you replay it, is no longer "played once." All infinite loops with Canary are thus avoided. This then means you can't throne room a card, trash a Canary to then play that card again. Is this nerf worth avoiding the infinite loop? Hard to say.

I have to root for Canary as I had the same idea (although mine [haha] allowed you to discard the Canary instead of trashing it, and it costed less as to not upgrade to gold. I think your version that stays trashed and upgrades to gold is better).
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 04:35:31 pm by anordinaryman »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #6864 on: August 26, 2020, 04:51:02 pm »

If we're being pedantic, it's impossible to get infinite VP because Dominion takes place in finite time. Eventually, the players die. Hopefully before that, they get bored and end the loop. Even more likely, the other player sees that they will lose and forfeit.

This seems less being pedantic as talking about a different thing. I think people generally discuss the logical game of dominion, not the real game.

You could still say that you can't get infinite VP, just arbitrarily high VP, even in the logical game of dominion.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #6865 on: August 26, 2020, 05:43:13 pm »

Some really cool entries here. Haven't sat down and tried to design a card for a while, but felt inspired!

Heirloom for Stables
Foal $2
Treasure - Reaction - Heirloom

$1
-
When you discard this from your hand (other than during Clean-up), you may reveal it to gain 2 Horses, putting one into your hand.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 05:45:09 pm by Archetype »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6866 on: August 26, 2020, 06:30:15 pm »

This increases the draw power of Stables by 3. That is beyond crazy.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6867 on: August 26, 2020, 06:33:10 pm »

It increases it by 2

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6868 on: August 26, 2020, 06:35:10 pm »
+2

It increases it by 2
No. 2 Horses plus handgaining one equals an increase of draw power by 3.

A QuadrupleLab which you can trigger more than once per turn is not something you should really do. Just make it gain one Horse and the entire thing is fine.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 06:38:45 pm by segura »

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6869 on: August 26, 2020, 06:38:36 pm »

It increases it by 2
No.
2 Horses plus handgaining one equals 3.
Playing the horse nets a total draw of 5 cards. Even if you’re including the second horse to be played later as “increasing draw power”, it would increase the draw power by 4.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6870 on: August 26, 2020, 06:42:27 pm »

It increases it by 2
No.
2 Horses plus handgaining one equals 3.
Playing the horse nets a total draw of 5 cards. Even if you’re including the second horse to be played later as “increasing draw power”, it would increase the draw power by 4.
I don’t know what you mean. Just count the net effects (in case this is not clear, you can count net effects via doing an anti-cantrip, i.e. -1 Action and - 1 Card) which is +3 Cards. That is like playing 3 extra Labs, quadruples the power of Stables and is hyperobviously overpowered.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 06:44:45 pm by segura »

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6871 on: August 26, 2020, 06:47:08 pm »

I see. I think the assumption that the second Horse would be played immediately is hyperobviously overestimating the effect.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6872 on: August 26, 2020, 06:51:02 pm »

I see. I think the assumption that the second Horse would be played immediately is hyperobviously overestimating the effect.
I did not assume anything of the kind, I merely counted net effects.
You on the other hand seem to assume that gaining a Horse is significantly weaker than drawing a card which is not merely dubious but plain wrong.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6873 on: August 26, 2020, 06:52:53 pm »

I did not assume anything of the kind, I merely counted net effects.
You on the other hand seem to assume that gaining a Horse is significantly weaker than drawing a card which is not merely dubious but plain wrong.
Very dubious of me, I agree

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #6874 on: August 27, 2020, 12:55:27 am »

Foal should probably be once per turn, otherwise you can loop it and gain all the horses with way of the mole or way of the mouse.
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 21 queries.