Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546685 times)

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #6750 on: August 20, 2020, 10:17:58 am »
+2

ok no more time to judge

pubby

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6751 on: August 20, 2020, 12:32:15 pm »
+8

Vinter - fragasnap
Seems like a very playable card. I like it, though maybe it's too cheap.

Rectory - spineflu
Too random and out of your control for a trasher. If one player gets to trash 5 junk on turn 3, and the other player gets to trash 1 junk and 1 good card on turn 4, clearly the turn 3 player has a huge advantage. I don't like that.

Wager - X-tra
It's pretty cool to have an unlimited drawing card, but I think there's too many restrictions on this one. Plus, it should cost more than Village.

Scullian - LordBaphomet
Seems like it should be a duration card. The effect seems reasonable and nice, albeit kinda low-impact. I think I'd prefer if the artifact were harder to get so that it doesn't ping-pong between players every turn.

Cleric - FlyEaglesFly
This is a very strong card. Like Chapel, it trashes quickly. Like Masquerade, it doesn't give up much buying power when using it. Honestly though, I'd prefer something like "+2 Coffers or spend your coffers to trash that much". That would be more more unique compared to Chapel and Steward.

Consignor - Scolapasta
I'm guessing "cheaper" is referring to the gained card's cost arnd not Consignor's cost. It's a neat effect, but seems weak. Camel train is not a very strong card either, but I think camel train would be faster than this. The debt cost is just to high compared to other gainers which do it for free.

Statute - mandioca15
It's a better border guard in the worst case, which is already a good effect, so maybe a bit strong. I like this card, but it needs tweaks.

Viaduct - JimJammer
This card is a better-than-chapel trasher, so you obviously want to open with it. I like the changes you made to this card, but I don't see it being very different from how Chapel or Donate plays.

Foundation - Artless
Pretty cool to see a Landmark entered. It's an alright card too, but I wish it had more built-in interaction between players.

Cull - anordinaryman
This card's pretty dang nifty. It's random, sure, but it's also skillful enough to make the randomness fun. The only thing I would change is to allow putting the cards back on your deck when you fail. That way, you can play a second cull to draw some of them. Also, I'm not convinced the trashing clause is necessary.

Dowry - D782802859
A well-made event. I think this one is very playable, but I do slightly prefer the version that costs $2 instead of $1 more.

Farmer - Rhodos
Plough looks great. It can be hard to come up with heirlooms, but I really like plough. Farmer doesn't excite me much though. It's just too similar in strategy to Harem, and I'm not excited by Harem either.

Feudalism - Segura
Nice little village-gaining project. I like it.

Craftsman - Something Smart
It's true it's very similar to Artificer, but I like this card slightly more. Still, not exactly a new idea.

Accountant - gambit05
Cool, creative card, but I prefer the version without text in parenthesis. If that verison is too good, I'd rather see it be nerfed in more elegant ways.

Maritime Trade - Marpharos
For $3 you get to turn all your actions into woodcutters. Very nice effect, but man it just costs too much for how little coin in generates. But it's still cool when this is the only +Buy.

Bankrupt Smithy - Majiponi
Nice, simple card. I like it.

Landscaper - Barbarossa41
A unique VP gainer. Only issue is that I prefer VP gainers to be bounded - if they can go on forever then games can drag or stalemate.

Burgh - alion8me
This is a cute little village. I like it a lot, though I wonder how confusing it gets when you start chaining these.

Pact - grrgrrgrr
Fun concept and a very nice use of the villager concept. It does debt well too, for it's expensive but not something you want on the first shuffle. And the "any number" part is truly unique.

Fabulist - Jonatan Djurachkovitch
Hmm it's a bit too complicated I think. I would prefer a version without the $ effect. I do like the top-of-deck setting aside though.

Wee Folk - chronostrike
Very cute card, but I worry it gives too many actions for discarding victory cards. IMO I'd rather see the original version with +1 Action tagged onto the top. Good job with this one though.

Fyrd - grep
Huh this is a wacky one. I guess you want to trash Copper, Estate, and a Fyrd with it, then gain another Fyrd for the bonus? But that's a little random in the opening.

Census - faust
Interesting take on "any number". Dunno how playable it is though - it really requires an extra buy in the kingdom, and duchy just isn't something you want much even for $0. And it's quite random.

Farm - Aquila
With two of these babies you can keep the green out of your deck forever. It's nice, though admittedly made less interesting by the introduction of Exile.

Way of the Snake - NoMoreFun
A nice, simple way. Don't see any problem with it really. Nice card.

Angry Mob - Xen3k
The ruins aspect is pretty cool. I wish it had more benefit besides the sifting though - as it stands it kinda insists upon itself to defend against its own junking.

Merchant Fleet - LibraryAdventurer
A simple, playable money-ish card. It's alright. For simplicities sake it really ought to give +Buy on both turns.

Festive Village - silverspawn
Another unique take on VP gaining. This one's mostly bounded in how much VP you can gain with it, which I like. It's a bit awkward to use though. By the time you can trash your starting cards, the game will be pretty far along. It definitely works, but it's a bit slow. I like it though.

WINNER: Pact by grrgrrgrr

RUNNERS UP: Burgh, Vinter, Wee Folk

Thanks for the entries.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #6752 on: August 20, 2020, 02:10:49 pm »
+5

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, next contest will we:

Contest nr 85: Maybe this will help

Design a Heirloom that is used on an official card.
Some clarifications:
* The official card can be a card that already has an Heirloom. Then you may either choose to get rid of that Heirloom, or to add a second one.
* With an exception of above, you cannot alter the official card in any way.
* You may create multiple Heirlooms for one card. However, you cannot create an Heirloom for multiple cards.
* The official card can also be a Landscape. Even a Way.
* Removed cards can also be used.

Example (very bad one):

Scout's bane (used on: Scout) (Treasure - Reaction - Duration, $0)
$1
-
When you reveal this using the word "reveal", gain a Curse.

With this, the Scout gets the words "Heirloom: Scout's bane" in its text. Scout's bane will replace one of your starting Coppers; and Scout finally gets the nerf it needs  ;D.

lompeluiten

• Bishop
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #6753 on: August 20, 2020, 02:45:35 pm »

Antique coin (used on horn of plenty) Treasure $0
$1 you may show your hand. If you show 3 different victory cards, trash it and gain a prize

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #6754 on: August 20, 2020, 02:55:37 pm »
+4

Nice contest idea! I'm usually not that quick to enter my card, but I got inspired real quick this time. My goal was trying to help a poor bottom-of-the-barrel Qvist card and my attention immediately shifted toward Bureaucrat. The poor ol' Bureaucrat. Let's throw a goodie at him:

I think it's rather obvious how Paperwork benefits from Bureaucrat's top-decking Silver ability (something which usually sucks). Bureaucrat can also top-deck your opponents' Paperwork. 4 out of your 10 starting cards are now prime candidates for the Attack. Maybe + is too much, but I wanted it to be akin to Baron's Estate thingy. The + is just there to not break the 4/3 and 5/2 opens.
Bottom text

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #6755 on: August 20, 2020, 03:11:41 pm »
+2

Paperwork still does some weird things if you draw it turn 2. 5/2 with turn 2 Paperwork is amazing, but 2/5 with turn 2 Paperwork is terrible.

Rhodos

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: Card Master
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6756 on: August 20, 2020, 03:18:58 pm »

Thanks for judging pubby! And congrats to grrgrrgrr and the runners up, too!

And interesting new contest. I like these 'give existing cards a new tweak' :)

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #6757 on: August 20, 2020, 03:27:09 pm »
+3

I just decided to roll a random card and see what kind of Heirloom I could come up with.

I'll probably do this multiple times to try to find the best one, but I came up with this one almost instantly, so I'll at least see if anyone has any feedback about it:

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #6758 on: August 20, 2020, 03:28:06 pm »

Here's my attempt at a Counting House heirloom:

The bottom part is to make it so you can pick up your Shilling from your discard pile when you play Counting House. Let me know if there's a better wording for it, this is the best I could come up with (it also lets it interact with Settlers and Coppersmith, which is fun).
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #6759 on: August 20, 2020, 03:37:25 pm »

Paperwork still does some weird things if you draw it turn 2. 5/2 with turn 2 Paperwork is amazing, but 2/5 with turn 2 Paperwork is terrible.
Ye. You could buy a Silver turn 1 and hope to flip it on turn 2. 1/6 chance if I'm not mistaken. The swing is real, but a Baron not hitting VS. one hitting also exist. Except that for a missing Baron, you wasted an Action. Not with Paperwork, which is something you didn't even Buy in the first place.

And when you play Paperwork (I used to have Shilling written here, my brain) on turn 2, you screw up your reshuffle anyway.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 07:00:40 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #6760 on: August 20, 2020, 03:42:19 pm »
+1

Bale for Harvest:
1. Harvest could use the extra naming power
2. Likes variety too, it's a mini-fairgrounds
3. Gets a bonus when discarded, and if harvest or other actions do it you can use it this turn
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #6761 on: August 20, 2020, 03:47:12 pm »

With this, the opening splits would be: 3/3, 5/1 and 4/2. That's kinda cool in a way. I like the card too. :)

Edit: Oh but wait. The discarding clause, it happens even during Cleanup, correct? If so, then the Coffers makes the opening split even weirder.

Edit 2: I know I'm being annoying, but I wanted to see this through, lol. The openings can be seen this way, if the player decide to gain a Coffers and use it immediately next turn:

111BE EE111 > 3 / 4
EE111 111BE > 3 / 3
1BEEE 11111 > 1 / 6
11111 1BEEE > 5 / 1
1111B EEE11 > 4 / 3
11EEE 1111B > 2 / 4

Where 1 = Copper ; B = Bale ; E = Estate.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 03:57:19 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

LordBaphomet

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6762 on: August 20, 2020, 03:57:33 pm »

With this, the opening splits would be: 3/3, 5/1 and 4/2. That's kinda cool in a way. I like the card too. :)

Edit: Oh but wait. The discarding clause, it happens even during Cleanup, correct? If so, then the Coffers makes the opening split even weirder.
Some openings are strictly better then others though. Split the six coppers into two hands. Then if you put the bale in the first hand, that's better then putting it in the second hand, since you can use the coffer earlier. Is this a problem, or simply harmless luck that barely will affect the game?

For example 111BE/EE111 is better then 111EE/111EB since now the first player can open 3/4 if they want, or 3/3 while the second player doesn't have such a choice
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 03:59:27 pm by LordBaphomet »

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #6763 on: August 20, 2020, 04:11:06 pm »

I retract my submission for this contest.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 05:42:51 pm by gambit05 »

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #6764 on: August 20, 2020, 04:17:38 pm »
+1

Edit: this is an outdated entry, see downthread for the new one

This is an heirloom for Philosopher's Stone. I might end up changing to a different card completely, I'm not sure if this is interesting to play with. Obviously it interacts with other potion cards in an interesting way but that happens relatively rarely.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 03:08:01 pm by alion8me »

LordBaphomet

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6765 on: August 20, 2020, 04:57:57 pm »
+1

My submission:

>Get my Copperfield trashed with thief
>Lose ~7 VP and quietly weep

Also btw 1VP per copper is i think way too much. Comparing to shepherd's pasture - Estates cost more, there are less of them, and they are a dead card in your deck.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #6766 on: August 20, 2020, 06:05:49 pm »
+2

See later post for current version.

Cursed Mask - $0
Treasure - Heirloom
$1
-
When scoring, this is worth -2%.

When you trash this, gain a Curse and two Coppers.

This just a goofy Heirloom for Masquerade. It emphasizes the hot potato characteristic of the card as you don't really want to be the one to bite the bullet and junk your own deck by trashing the Heirloom. I am guessing if there are really good trashers in the Kingdom like Chapel this won't really matter. I was thinking of giving it the Fortress characteristic of never being able to trash it. I would love to hear what others think of it.

Cursed Mask - $0
Treasure - Heirloom
$1
-
When scoring, this is worth -2%.

When you trash this, put it into your discard pile.

So, this is what it would look like if I go with the Fortress mechanic and it just can't be trashed. I think it is cleaner, but I do like the option to just trash the mask into a confetti of junk.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 09:26:13 pm by Xen3k »

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #6767 on: August 20, 2020, 06:50:19 pm »

Nice contest idea! I'm usually not that quick to enter my card, but I got inspired real quick this time. My goal was trying to help a poor bottom-of-the-barrel Qvist card and my attention immediately shifted toward Bureaucrat. The poor ol' Bureaucrat. Let's throw a goodie at him:

I think it's rather obvious how Paperwork benefits from Bureaucrat's top-decking Silver ability (something which usually sucks). Bureaucrat can also top-deck your opponents' Paperwork. 4 out of your 10 starting cards are now prime candidates for the Attack. Maybe + is too much, but I wanted it to be akin to Baron's Estate thingy. The + is just there to not break the 4/3 and 5/2 opens.

This is GREAT! I love this. Bureaucrat is a favorite card of me and it's sad that it's weak. I think this heirloom improves the card so much. It's making me think about not even submitting this contest.

The concept is great but I do have some ideas to maybe improve it. I personally think that there is no reason for it to give 2vp. Everyone starts off with it, giving it two VP just encourages people to not trash it, which I think is unnecessary and clouds the simple design. 1vp is better. Or, to be more focused on silvers, you could have it give you 1vp per every 4 silvers you have (as an example). Or even something like "this is worth 4vp if you have at least 10 silvers in your deck"

Since this is an heirloom, there's no need to compare it to existing cards like Baron for power. I think because it is relatively swingy (did I get lucky to have a silver or no), that you should weaken it slightly.
a couple of choices:
Choose one: +1$; or reveal the top card of your deck if it is not empty. If it's a silver, +3$
You can be swingier with this you could even do +$4 (although I'm unsure about that), since the gamble is in the player's hands.

If your deck is not empty, reveal the top card of your deck. If it's a silver, +$3. Otherwise, +$1

If your deck is not empty, reveal the top card of your deck. If it's a silver, +$2. Otherwise, +$1

I've snuck another clause into here: "If your deck is not empty" which addresses these issues:

pubby

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6768 on: August 20, 2020, 06:59:08 pm »
+5

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #6769 on: August 20, 2020, 07:16:03 pm »
+3

chronostrike

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #6770 on: August 20, 2020, 09:15:38 pm »
+3

Sextant $2
Treasure - Heirloom
$1
-
When you discard this other than during clean-up, you may reveal it to look through your discard pile and put a card from it onto your deck.

A consolation prize for not liking your next hand.  I had an idea for Merchant Ship, but parsing the text to make it do what I intend is a nightmare.

LordBaphomet

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6771 on: August 20, 2020, 10:41:42 pm »
+3

My thoughts about this contest:
First of all, this is a really great concept and there are lots of good ideas being posted. However some heirlooms seems to be elevating their heirloomees to a must-buy status, turning the game into something with only one strategy. I think even mine is guilty of this. If we look at the heirlooms:
Shepherd/Pasture: Firstly, pasture helps shepherd draw. That much is obvious. However, going for the estates is only feasible with buy and/or gainers. Even then, it's not like you get that many points out of it and it will need to be complemented by something else. Finally, shepherd doesn't work well with thin trashing decks or decks that like to hide away VPs (Island, exile, native village, etc.), and also with shelters
Haunted Mirror/Cemetary: Cemetary is only useful to get rid of curses and starting estates, maybe copper. You probably won't have more than two in your deck. Also, cemetary is a trasher just in case there isn't another one. Haunted mirror I think can be compared to arena, only you lose 1$ for that turn and get a ghost instead of 2VP. Early game that's good, but I don't think I'd take that deal with only a few turns left in the game. Plus, you can only use it once (barring Treasurer  I guess)
Magic Lamp/Secret Cave: tbh haven't played enough with this to know the strategy or how game-warping wishes are. Sorry.
Goat/Pixie: The only reason pixie has goat is so double flames gift isn't broken on a board with no trashing. Yeah goat is a good card, but doesn't really dominate strategies in any way other than some bonus trashing.
Tracker/Pouch: Again not much intersection, other than pouch's buy taking advantage of tracker's top decking effect. Easily one of the weaker heirlooms. Not much effect on boards, unless there is no other buy.
Cursed Gold/Pooka: Here's an heirloom that actually makes it's card weaker, by being explicitly referenced, but I guess we can't do that in the contest... Cursed gold really shakes up the openings and makes for interesting choices but again, not really a deciding factor on what strategy to play. Pooka's alright, I guess.
Fool/Lucky coin: Lucky coin was only put in to stop the boonage of fool, then Donald X. never took it out. No intersection here. I think Lucy Coin is best compared to Cursed Gold, as they can both be hard choices on whether to play. Again the silvers are rarely game-breaking, other than foedum I guess?

Point is, the heirlooms are all there either as little boosts to underpowered cards (tracker, shepherd), something to rein in a card's effect (Pooka, Pixie), or, y'know, just cuz its cool (fool, cemetary). Let's look at my entry: the whole being a unique card adds to harvest (also tying in the discard effect), and the discard for coffers is there so that it won't screw up openings. I'm worried the VP might be pushing it, though. Comparing to pasture/shepherd:
Unique name = Being VP for shepherd
Discard for coffers = 1$ treasure
Mini-museum for actions = VP for estates? Actions are something you'd want in your deck anyways, while the estate bonus plays more like a traditional alt-VP (i.e. you need enablers like gainers, buy, etc)

Thanks for staying with me for this wall of text...

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #6772 on: August 21, 2020, 02:11:54 am »

Scroll
$2 - Treasure - Reaction - Heirloom
+
-
When you discard this other than during clean-up, set this aside and play it twice at the start of your buy phase.

I put "play it twice" instead of once because I want to make Sage actually worth buying... (And since it only works no more than once per shuffle and once per turn, it still isn't a huge buff to Sage.)

EDIT: added Reaction type which I forgot the first time.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 05:05:46 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #6773 on: August 21, 2020, 02:55:17 am »
+1

I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #6774 on: August 21, 2020, 03:12:20 am »

My submission:

>Get my Copperfield trashed with thief
>Lose ~7 VP and quietly weep

Also btw 1VP per copper is i think way too much. Comparing to shepherd's pasture - Estates cost more, there are less of them, and they are a dead card in your deck.

I am sorry to see you laughing at my cards. Let me tell you what I think about it:

You say Estates are dead. I say they are less dead in combination with Shepherd than Coppers with Thief; I wouldn’t exactly call the Coppers lively. Let’s say, Thief steals Copperfield, so what? The Thief player has gained ~6VP at that very moment, but for what prize? To get the VP through the finish line, the Thief player has a lot of ballast to carry around. For each single VP they want to score via Copperfield (2 VP if they stole a Copperfield and can keep them), they have to keep a Copper in their deck.

You mentioned in your post #6771 that the Heirloom-extended cards presented so far would dominate the game. I haven’t looked at all entries, but I would say that Thief +Copperfield would still not dominate a lot of games. If there is good trashing, or nowadays even Exiling, and all Engine components are around, a player not going for Thief (or doing so late in the game to upset their Thief opponents), would weep if their opponent steals their Copperfield and Coppers along the way –for joy.

However, if things are a bit different, e.g. no good trashing, the presence of some Engine components under par, maybe a strong Gold gainer, or some powerful Treasures (including other Heirlooms) around, Thief+ actually can be considered to be gained and is probably in some games a must-buy. That is how I view the power of Thief +Copperfield: Excellent in some games, ok-ish in some others, weak in still others.

Either way, the presence of Thief+ plus in a Kingdom and of Copperfield in the player’s decks, forces the players to think about the strength of Thief +Copperfield. I thought that’s a good criterion to make a card interesting.
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 21 queries.