Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546276 times)

Marpharos

• Baron
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #6650 on: August 14, 2020, 10:06:02 am »
+4

Submission for this week:

Maritime Trade
$3, Event
Discard any number of Actions, revealed, from your hand for +1 Buy and +$2 each.

The numbers might be off, but to get a real payload from it you need to sacrifice your actions which seems like a decent balance.

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonis20004
  • Respect: +95
    • View Profile
« Reply #6651 on: August 14, 2020, 10:43:20 am »
+1

What do you get when you cross a chapel with a cellar?

This is rather like a super-powered apprentice with the same trashing potential as chapel. It doesn't provide any actions though, and needs village support. In the midgame it is a chapel and in the endgame it is an apprentice. And their combined cost in debt. Nice.

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #6652 on: August 14, 2020, 11:07:31 am »

Here's my entry: Gild
Apply Gold to your VPs to make them extra fancy. Likes gold gainers, but also has a mine capability built-in. An alt-VP strat that was inspired by Groundskeeper.
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #6653 on: August 14, 2020, 11:27:09 am »

There is already a card named Crypt. Also, you designed a card that is basically always a mandatory turn 2 buy, which means it's going to be swingy when the opening split is different for the players.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #6654 on: August 14, 2020, 03:44:25 pm »

Edit: My new submission:
Accountant
$4 – Action

+2 Cards
Reveal and set aside any number
of Action cards from your hand
with “+X Cards” in their text
(where X is any number greater
than 1). Play them in any order.

I added "and set aside" to make the instructions less ambiguous. Thanks to anordinaryman and GendoIkari.
Some information about Accountant and the ideas behind it can be found in my reply #6688.

Edit (20.08.): The instruction “+X Cards” (plural) already implies that cards with “+1 Card” (singular) are not targets of Accountant. However, the sentence in parentheses has been included to avoid any ambiguity.
-

The site for uploading seems to be currently down and the card images disappeared (temporarily, I hope).

Like version 2, but cheaper.

I changed the costs and the targets (+X Cards; X > 1).

My old submission:

« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 05:35:25 pm by gambit05 »

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #6655 on: August 14, 2020, 04:30:03 pm »
+1

Apply Gold to your VPs to make them extra fancy. Likes gold gainers, but also has a mine capability built-in. An alt-VP strat that was inspired by Groundskeeper.

The alt-VP effect is quite hard to achieve. You are spending a Buy for Gild, and you also have to repay the debt to gain any Victory cards - $8 opportunity cost for the first 1VP.
It could be reasonable as a Project, especially in kingdoms with no +Buys

chronostrike

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #6656 on: August 14, 2020, 07:46:57 pm »
+2

My submission:

This seems much, much more powerful than Imp.  It is relatively easy to acquire at $4, combos off of itself, and can be powered by a single cantrip pile, none of which are true of Imp.

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #6657 on: August 14, 2020, 09:58:44 pm »
+1

This looks very similar to Artificer, but I would expect it to play out a lot differently, because its gain is mandatory rather than optional. Generally you'll want to be discarding 1 card to avoid having to gain something; use with Poor House at your own risk.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6658 on: August 15, 2020, 02:59:35 am »

My submission:

This seems much, much more powerful than Imp.  It is relatively easy to acquire at $4, combos off of itself, and can be powered by a single cantrip pile, none of which are true of Imp.
You are absolutely right. I missed the power of cantrips here. There are way too many cards around that fulfill this function. I changed my Accountant accordingly (costs $5 now and can only play cards with "+X Cards"). There are still plenty of such cards around, but not in combination with +Action. Thanks.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #6659 on: August 15, 2020, 03:14:11 am »

I don’t know, if it can only interact with terminal draw besides itself it seems weaker than Lab.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6660 on: August 15, 2020, 03:41:59 am »

I don’t know, if it can only interact with terminal draw besides itself it seems weaker than Lab.

Maybe, but Laboratory is a quite strong $5 cost card (36/127 in the 2018 Qvist list). Early in the game, Accountant isn't of much use (but that was also true for the first version), but with a high enough Action card density, it can really shine. Accountant can for example play several Witches or Smithies, which Lab can't. Anyway, it is different enough and thus, if it is indeed weaker than Lab (on average), so be it.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6661 on: August 15, 2020, 03:48:19 am »

I don't understand this card. Both parts of what it does are extremely weak. The debt cost doesn't really make sense because you want to be buying something else after you bought this.

Let's say, best-case scenario, you have like 3 Golds in hand and enough cash lying around. You have to buy 3 of these and a Province in order to get the VP benefit from Dominate, which costs 23 for the buys plus $9 for not playing the Golds, plus 4 buys. This is enough for 2 Dominates.

EDIT: This analysis assume that the Vp bonuses stack, but looking at the wording I'm not even sure they do, which makes this even worse.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 05:35:11 am by faust »

JimJammer

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6662 on: August 15, 2020, 05:09:59 am »

There is already a card named Crypt. Also, you designed a card that is basically always a mandatory turn 2 buy, which means it's going to be swingy when the opening split is different for the players.

I'm not sure I follow, isn't it a decent turn 1 buy as you can then pay off the debt by the end of turn 2, regardless of the split you get?

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6663 on: August 15, 2020, 05:33:59 am »

I'm not sure I follow, isn't it a decent turn 1 buy as you can then pay off the debt by the end of turn 2, regardless of the split you get?
You're going to want to get a card for economy first, then get Crypt.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6664 on: August 15, 2020, 06:49:50 am »
+1

Maybe, but Laboratory is a quite strong $5 cost card (36/127 in the 2018 Qvist list). Early in the game, Accountant isn't of much use (but that was also true for the first version), but with a high enough Action card density, it can really shine. Accountant can for example play several Witches or Smithies, which Lab can't. Anyway, it is different enough and thus, if it is indeed weaker than Lab (on average), so be it.
There are decks which use a mixture of terminal and non-terminal draw. But in my experience using only one source for draw power occurs more frequently.
That is why I think that the new version is so weak. It is not just the fact that this is strictly weaker than Lab in Kingdoms without other drawers. Even if there are others, you might not really want them for your deck.

Something between the first overpowered and the second underpowered version, i.e. either "Cards" at $5 or "Card" at $4, is the way to go.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6665 on: August 15, 2020, 07:03:05 am »
+4

Could be a $4, I don't know.

Rhodos

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: Card Master
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6666 on: August 15, 2020, 07:19:31 am »
+5

Here is my entry for this week's contest:

I like to design cards, that change existing strategies or even enable new ones. I always wanted something more that allows for a more Duchy focused strategy and here it is :)

Farmer can allow for huge payload, if you have some Duchies and can provide the draw. Note that you need to have a consistent deck since Duchies are stop cards that do absolutely nothing.

The Plough is there to support that strategy as it makes it easier to buy double Duchy or Duchy plus something. While it does that, it is also interesting enough on its own, even if no one goes for Farmer. It allows earlier greening, as you can buy Province plus more deck control. Or you can go for double Province with just $14 and 1 Buy.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6667 on: August 15, 2020, 10:10:00 am »

There are decks which use a mixture of terminal and non-terminal draw. But in my experience using only one source for draw power occurs more frequently.
That is why I think that the new version is so weak. It is not just the fact that this is strictly weaker than Lab in Kingdoms without other drawers. Even if there are others, you might not really want them for your deck.

Something between the first overpowered and the second underpowered version, i.e. either "Cards" at $5 or "Card" at $4, is the way to go.

I like it to be more restricted, i.e. only +Cards as targets. It avoids being too abusive in certain Kingdoms and it is more challenging for building an engine. And well, with a cost of 4$, players would buy it more often and in more situations (Kingdoms). So, I changed it this way. Thanks for your help.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6668 on: August 15, 2020, 10:33:05 am »
+1

I would buy it at $4, but I am not sure in how many situations I would buy it at $5, but that doesn't mean that $5 is too expensive. Early in the game one has better things to do, while late in the game, $5 could also be a Duchy. So, with a cost of 5$ one has to find a good timing, which can make it more interesting.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #6669 on: August 15, 2020, 11:30:30 am »

THIS SUBMISSION HAS BEEN UPDATED. THE UPDATED VERSION (V3) CAN BE FOUND ON PAGE 269.

Following a very good suggestion by user chronostrike, I will update my entre, Wager, to its v2 version:

The Debt is indeed way better for what this card is trying to achieve, since it's easier to track, doesn't involve negative shenanigans and carries over turns, making you more hesitant to draw your entire deck.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 08:28:43 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #6670 on: August 15, 2020, 11:32:17 am »

Following a very good suggestion by user chronostrike, I will update my entre, Wager, to its v2 version:

The Debt is indeed way better for what this card is trying to achieve, since it's easier to track, doesn't involve negative shenanigans and carries over turns, making you more hesitant to draw your entire deck.

The problem with this is that some decks just don't care at all about debt since they only progress via remodeling. This works especially well with Replace and Displace. In those cases, the card just draws your entire deck with no real downside.

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #6671 on: August 15, 2020, 11:59:25 am »

Update to Gild - now a project, golds are only revealed so it encourages buying multiple cheap VPs.
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #6672 on: August 16, 2020, 04:59:41 am »
+1

I think the price is right. It is very powerful with good draw and little to no good Estate trashing.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #6673 on: August 16, 2020, 08:07:36 am »

I think the price is right. It is very powerful with good draw and little to no good Estate trashing.

Agreed. Without estate trashing you are picking up 3 villagers per shuffle. It definitely isn't noticeably weaker than Academy..

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonis20004
  • Respect: +95
    • View Profile
« Reply #6674 on: August 16, 2020, 10:23:12 am »

Bankrupt Smithy
cost $5 - Action
+2 Coffers
Remove any number of tokens from your Coffers, and draw that many.
This is probably overpriced. If you play it once it draws 2 cards, draws 1 card and gains 1 coffers or gain 2 coffers, which are all <$3 cost effects. Would probably be balanced at $4.
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.