Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546591 times)

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonis20004
  • Respect: +95
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #6600 on: August 12, 2020, 10:25:12 am »

Here's my submission: a night storyteller.

Fabulist
$5 - Night-Duration
Pay any amount number of $. For each $ paid, set aside a card under this.
At the start of your next turn put the set-aside cards into your hand and +1 Action

This is not the final version
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 12:24:02 pm by Jonatan Djurachkovitch »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #6601 on: August 12, 2020, 10:29:58 am »
+4

You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #6602 on: August 12, 2020, 10:45:14 am »

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #6603 on: August 12, 2020, 11:02:36 am »
+3

This is a Butcher variant using a new mechanic I've been thinking about: Apprentices. Apprentices are cards that get better over the course of the game by fulfilling certain actions. They do this via Experience tokens, represented by the purple gem. Experience tokens are limited, similarly to the wood cubes for projects. Each player can only have three.
EDIT: Modified

REPLACED. CURRENT ENTRY IS THIS.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 11:33:48 am by D782802859 »

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #6604 on: August 12, 2020, 11:29:37 am »
+1

This is a Butcher variant using a new mechanic I've been thinking about: Apprentices. Apprentices are cards that get better over the course of the game by fulfilling certain actions. They do this via Experience tokens, represented by the purple gem. Experience tokens are limited, similarly to the wood cubes for projects. Each player can only have three.
I'm afraid that you will max out the apprentice tokens very fast, and then this becomes an inexpensive expand variant. In most cases you can have the full effect on your second buy of it.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #6605 on: August 12, 2020, 11:54:48 am »

I'm afraid that you will max out the apprentice tokens very fast, and then this becomes an inexpensive expand variant. In most cases you can have the full effect on your second buy of it.

Yeah that's probably the case too often. I'll change it to an earlier version where the way to get tokens was on-play.

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #6606 on: August 12, 2020, 12:06:04 pm »
+2

Yeah that's probably the case too often. I'll change it to an earlier version where the way to get tokens was on-play.

This is busted. The correct play here is to discard three cards on the first play to turn this into an expand for 4$ with +1 card (btw +1 Card is imo an extremely awkward bonus and I think no terminal card in the game has it. If you need a small bonus to buff a card, use buy or money.)
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #6607 on: August 12, 2020, 12:28:31 pm »
+1

I think this should cost $5. At $5 it is a slow Expand+ that can turn itself into provinces. Maybe you kan keep the on-gain if you raise the cost although I'm worried it will be all too easy triggering it in an engine. You could also try to just increase the cost of gaining tokens. If you have it in a fan expansion with other apprentice token cards you will have to balance them together, to make the costs and rewards of gaining apprentice tokens about the same. Right now though the tokens make more difference than any other self-upgrading card or traveller line in the canon, and I'm afraid that they will become too important.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #6608 on: August 12, 2020, 12:37:12 pm »

There is a reason cards like that can covert Estates into $5s, like Altar or Expand, have a prohibitive cost. Circumventing that hurdle is quite dubious.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #6609 on: August 12, 2020, 12:51:13 pm »

Raising the cost doesn't fix the card. From the third play onward, it's just "+1 Card; trash a card from your hand; gain a province."

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #6610 on: August 12, 2020, 12:54:22 pm »
+1

This is busted. The correct play here is to discard three cards on the first play to turn this into an expand for 4$ with +1 card (btw +1 Card is imo an extremely awkward bonus and I think no terminal card in the game has it. If you need a small bonus to buff a card, use buy or money.)
I think that the +1 Card on this is comparable to the +2 Cards on Masquerade, providing more options and adding cykling to benefit earlier from a better deck. You could also compare it to the cantrip remodel variant for $5 I forgot the name of, just to get an idea of how to price it.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #6611 on: August 12, 2020, 01:23:43 pm »

Fabulist
$5 - Night-Duration
Pay any number of $. For each $ paid, set aside a card under this.
At the start of your next turn put the set-aside cards into your hand and +1 Action
It's a cross between Storyteller and Ghost Town. interesting.
As-is I think this would be good at $4. Storyteller gives you a coin to convert into +1 Card. This gives an extra action on the 2nd turn instead. The fact that it's a duration makes it weaker too. Also, I think it needs to say "set aside a card from your deck", otherwise it isn't clear if you set aside cards from your hand or deck or either.

EDIT: Modified
Maybe try "+1 Exp.token for each 2 cards discarded"

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6612 on: August 12, 2020, 01:28:58 pm »

Raising the cost doesn't fix the card. From the third play onward, it's just "+1 Card; trash a card from your hand; gain a province."
D782802859 said that the tokens are restricted to a maximum of 3:

Experience tokens are limited, similarly to the wood cubes for projects. Each player can only have three.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #6613 on: August 12, 2020, 01:30:36 pm »
+1

Oh and here's my submission:

Merchant Fleet
$4 - Action - Duration
+$2.
At the start of your next turn: +$2 and +1 Buy.
-
While this is in play, at the start of each other player's turn, they may discard any number of cards for $1 per card discarded.
A cheaper Merchant Ship variant that helps other players.
(Obviously, it'll suck on boards with Cursed Village, but otherwise I think it'd be good.)

EDIT: FAQ: Multiple Merchant Fleets in play don't give other players more than $1 per card they discard. BUT if they have a Watchtower set aside with Way of the Turtle, they can discard cards for one opponent's Merchant Fleet, play Watchtower to draw up to 6, then discard cards for another opponent's Merchant Fleet...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 12:21:59 am by LibraryAdventurer »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6614 on: August 12, 2020, 01:42:45 pm »

Do you think that the card might get away with being symmetrical, i.e. also providing a Buy on the first turn?

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #6615 on: August 12, 2020, 02:46:53 pm »
+1

Merchant Fleet
$4 - Action - Duration
+$2.
At the start of your next turn: +$2 and +1 Buy.
-
While this is in play, at the start of each other player's turn, they may discard any number of cards for $1 per card discarded.
A cheaper Merchant Ship variant that helps other players.
(Obviously, it'll suck on boards with Cursed Village, but otherwise I think it'd be good.)
I assume that with multiple fleets in play the opponents will still get just $1 per discard. Otherwise it's crazy in multiplayer.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #6616 on: August 12, 2020, 03:27:32 pm »
+4

Way too powerful; this is basically a triple lab if it hits all victory cards.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #6617 on: August 12, 2020, 03:51:13 pm »

Since it's a Lab+, Any Number should at least cost :D :D :D
Bottom text

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #6618 on: August 12, 2020, 06:07:36 pm »
+1

Since it's a Lab+, Any Number should at least cost :D :D :D
That doesn't help with any number, Any Number is still unbalanced.
Maybe, a penalty: Reveal your hand and discard any number of Any Number.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #6619 on: August 12, 2020, 06:42:01 pm »

Angry Mob - $5
Night - Duration - Attack - Looter
Each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand.

At the start of your next turn you may discard any number of cards costing $0. Draw until you have 5 cards in hand.
-
In games using this, when you gain a Victory card, gain a Ruins.

I had an alternate version that had each other player gain a Ruins as the top text, but was concerned the below the line text would be inconsequential as the ruins would run out too quickly. The middle text is similar to Night Watchman but restricts what you can discard while at the same time managing to counteract both the Ruins and hand-size attack from the Angry Mob. Probably more text than is aesthetically pleasing, so I may drop the top or bottom text.

chronostrike

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #6620 on: August 12, 2020, 10:08:21 pm »

EDIT: replacement card in later post

Wee Folk - $2
Action
Discard any number of cards.
For each card discarded, if that card is an...
Action card, +$1
Treasure card, +1 card
Victory card, +1 action

I think the optimum case for this card is after you green while still having coppers in your deck, though it is still useful in other circumstances.  I tried it at $3, but it seemed awfully underwhelming and probably comparable to Crossroads and Cellar.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 10:31:45 pm by chronostrike »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #6621 on: August 13, 2020, 02:21:02 am »

Way of the Snake
Way
Discard any number of cards for +$1 each
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 08:30:06 am by NoMoreFun »

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #6622 on: August 13, 2020, 03:23:01 am »
+2

Fabulist
$5 - Night-Duration
Pay any amount number of $. For each $ paid, set aside a card under this.
Where are cards being set aside from? Your hand, or in play that would be discarded at Clean-up?

Wee Folk - $2
Action
Discard any number of cards.
For each card discarded, if that card is an...
Action card, +$1
Treasure card, +1 card
Victory card, +1 action

I think the optimum case for this card is after you green while still having coppers in your deck, though it is still useful in other circumstances.  I tried it at $3, but it seemed awfully underwhelming and probably comparable to Crossroads and Cellar.
Welcome to the forums and the contest!
You'll need to have players reveal their discarded cards so everyone can see what bonuses they're getting. It also seems weaker than Cellar in that you'll either have a very small hand or no extra Action from it; there are several ways you could boost it.

For my entry, I'll enter a card I once submitted before:

Farm - Action Duration Victory, $5 cost.
+1 Action
Set aside any number of Victory cards from your hand face up. At the start of your next turn, put them into your hand.
-
2 VP
Keep your green out of the way, potentially all the time with enough of these.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #6623 on: August 13, 2020, 03:59:39 am »

Here's a serious submission, with a different take on "any number".

Census - $0
Event

Once per turn: Name any number. Each other player reveals their hand. If the total number of Actions revealed is equal to your number, gain a Duchy.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6624 on: August 13, 2020, 06:39:15 am »
+1

I would only pick one player to make this not decrease in power in multiplayer games.
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.