Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547173 times)

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #6550 on: August 05, 2020, 04:39:35 pm »

and discard it during clean-up
I don't want to be too nit-picky, but is this last part necessary (or does it even make sense)?

It is necessary... set-aside cards aren't discarded by default.
You are absolutely right. I totally missed the set aside part. Edit: Just to add, I totally had a blind spot for the Reaction part, probably because I was happy with it in the first version. My Brain just picked up the words "discards...other than clean-up...+2 Coffers".
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 04:47:15 pm by gambit05 »

WillhelmSchulz

• Pawn
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6551 on: August 05, 2020, 05:57:48 pm »
+1

My first entry in this contest.

Designed to encourage Action chaining. In some way, a different, though optional Bandit Fort.
I am still unsure about it's price, might be to cheap.

Any feedback is always welcome.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #6552 on: August 05, 2020, 06:46:19 pm »
+1

Designed to encourage Action chaining. In some way, a different, though optional Bandit Fort.

I really like it, but I do have to say it ends up being an expensive Duchy if there is no trashing available.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #6553 on: August 05, 2020, 09:37:21 pm »
+1

I believe, gaining 5 Coppers qualifies as Big Number.

Fountain of Tears
$4D3 - Action
Gain up to 5 Coppers into your hand.

You can grab this as early as in the first two turns trying to rush Provinces, but the slow down effect of Coppers is severe enough to make this strategy not very feasible.
Gardens would like to say hi. :)
and guildhall

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #6554 on: August 05, 2020, 09:54:40 pm »

Contest 83: Bigger is Better Submission

Okay, got a wild one. Two big cards

Refine - Action - $4
Trash a card from your hand. Choose one: Gain a card that shares one of its types costing up to $3 more; or gain a card costing less than or equal to the trashed card.
Heirloom: Graveyard Key

Graveyard Key - Treasure - Heirloom - Duration - $0
You may pay $1. If you do, at the start of your next turn, you may put every non-Victory card in the trash into your hand and you may trash this.
-
Setup: Each player gets +1 Coffers.

Okay, there's a lot of concepts together here but it's the best way to balance it. The big Graveyard key allows you to gain tons of cards at once. In a two-player game with good trashing, that means you're gaining 14 coppers... wow! So big!. Graveyard Key is a confusion in your deck, that you can pay $1 to get rid of, and/or open the graveyard (gain all non-victory cards from trash). The higher cost of Graveyard Key is keeping it in your deck as a confusion and not-self trashing it until there's enough cards in the trash to be worth it. I needed to make some higher cost for the "gain all cards in the trash" so that's why the Graveyard Key is a self-junker that can also self-trash. I am unsure of the price for it.

But, graveyard key would only be useful if there are good cards in the trash. That's why it comes paired with a card that gives you a reason to put things in the trash. Refine is "big" for the "up to $3 more." Despite the $3 clause, it's actually fairly weak, you can't turn estates into action cards. You can, over two shuffles, turn an estate into a duchy and then turn that duchy into a 5-cost. In the end game, you can't turn golds into province, dang. I would probably buy Remodel over this card most times. It's weak, but I think still interesting and priced appropriately.

I am totally open to feedback on these cards, of course! I'm considering pricing Graveyard Key at $1 so that it can be refined into a Caravan, for example. Or even costing it 2 to be refined into a Den of Sin, Wharf, etc. Graveyard Key does have that helpful Duration type on it. Is Refine, too weak? I'm considering having the same-or-less-cost gain go to hand. (the $3 more can't go to hand because then it's strictly better than mine).

« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 09:08:12 am by anordinaryman »

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonis20004
  • Respect: +95
    • View Profile
« Reply #6555 on: August 06, 2020, 02:20:34 am »
+1

Refine - Action - $4
Trash a card from your hand. Choose one: Gain a card that shares one of its types costing up to $3 more; or gain a card costing less than or equal to the trashed card.

You may pay $1. If you do, at the start of your next turn, you may put every non-Victory card in the trash into your hand and you may trash this.
-

Okay, there's a lot of concepts together here but it's the best way to balance it. The big Graveyard key allows you to gain tons of cards at once. In a two-player game with good trashing, that means you're gaining 14 coppers... wow! So big!. Graveyard Key is a confusion in your deck, that you can pay $1 to get rid of, and/or open the graveyard (gain all non-victory cards from trash). The higher cost of Graveyard Key is keeping it in your deck as a confusion and not-self trashing it until there's enough cards in the trash to be worth it. I needed to make some higher cost for the "gain all cards in the trash" so that's why the Graveyard Key is a self-junker that can also self-trash. I am unsure of the price for it.

But, graveyard key would only be useful if there are good cards in the trash. That's why it comes paired with a card that gives you a reason to put things in the trash. Refine is "big" for the "up to $3 more." Despite the $3 clause, it's actually fairly weak, you can't turn estates into action cards. You can, over two shuffles, turn an estate into a duchy and then turn that duchy into a 5-cost. In the end game, you can't turn golds into province, dang. I would probably buy Remodel over this card most times. It's weak, but I think still interesting and priced appropriately.

I haven't even gotten the chance to talk about the strategic implications of starting with $6 and a coffer have on your deck. It means that there is a higher chance that you can choose a 5/2 or 4/3 opening (It is possible to get stuck with a 5/2 if you have a hand of 5 coppers and a hand of 3estate, 1 copper, 1 Graveyard Key. But other than that one possibility, everyone get's to choose their opening. Yay!). Then there's the -- when do I sacrifice 1$ to trash this card?

I am totally open to feedback on these cards, of course! I'm considering pricing Graveyard Key at $1 so that it can be refined into a Caravan, for example. Or even costing it 2 to be refined into a Den of Sin, Wharf, etc. Graveyard Key does have that helpful Duration type on it. Is Refine, too weak? I'm considering having the same-or-less-cost gain go to hand. (the $3 more can't go to hand because then it's strictly better than mine).
I think that you would rarely use graveyard key, because if you're not the first one to use it you gain the other one from the trash! I don't think that is intended.

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #6556 on: August 06, 2020, 02:45:47 am »

Depot
5$ - Action-Reaction
Do this three times:
Discard two cards; draw until you have 5 cards in hand.
-
When you discard this other than in clean-up you may set it aside. If you do: +2 Coffers and discard it during clean-up
I played a game with this with my dad, and I think that this is the final version. Here are my thoughts:

It is hard to make it work in an engine, since you don't want to draw a lot of cards and since it doesn't give +actions. With cards on the board to make up for that, especially Fishing Village that doesn't draw and gives +actions on your next turn so you can play Depot immediately, you can probably get it to work excellently. I think that it works great in big money decks too. With a bit of Gold and some Depots you can get $8 pretty consistantly, and with the added sifting you can green especially early without damaging your deck.

Overall a big and clumsy card that is powerful if you get it right! And I think that that is (or at least a part of) the intent of this challenge.

This isn't the final version!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 07:43:42 am by Jonatan Djurachkovitch »

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6557 on: August 06, 2020, 05:52:16 am »
+1

I really like it, but I do have to say it ends up being an expensive Duchy if there is no trashing available.

That problem could be solved when Mountain is a trasher itself, e.g. when gained. This needs an extra dividing line, but I think you don't need the existing one. I also think you can skip the "but not less than 0 VP". If someone accumulates Treasures and goes for Mountains, then they are doomed anyway (Mountain of Doom).
So, my suggestions:

Worth 10 VP, less 1 VP for each treasure in your deck.
--------------------------------------
When you gain this, you may trash a card from your hand.

Some other possibilities for on-gain trashing:
When you gain this, choose one, trash a card from your hand; or each other player gains a Silver.
When you gain this, trash a card from your hand and each other player gains a Silver.
When you gain this, you may trash any treasure from your hand.
The cost of the card should be accordingly adjusted (whatever that means).

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #6558 on: August 06, 2020, 07:12:01 am »
+2

Geologist - Action, $5 cost.
The player to your left names a type. Reveal your hand. +5 Cards less 1 for each card in your hand with the named type. If they named Action or Treasure, +1 Action.
You get a nice draw card of some description most of the time, with some situations where it's particularly bad or good.
A poor opponent to one's left and time to resolve might be issues. As might '+5 Cards less 1'; should it be 'draw 5 cards less 1' to be clearer you don't always draw 5 cards?

Use "minus" instead of "less". "Less" makes no grammatical sense, and reducing the amount of something you gain is often a bit akward, especially when drawing cards. Maybe use "Set aside 5 cards from the top of your deck (face down). The player to your left names a card type. Reveal your hand. For each revealed card with the named card type, discard one of the set aside cards. Put the rest into your hand." I feel like +1 action as a bonus is way too strong on a drawing card, and it creates a lot of variation between different decks. Maybe it is actually balanced, but it doesn't seem super fun playing this and drawing no cards. Maybe the bonus should be if you draw less than 2 cards. Its greatly varying drawing power makes it unreliable and oftern unviable in engines.
This was trying to create interesting player interaction, but you're right, it's too swingy overall and you don't want swingy draw amounts. It's rather like a draw to X in practice anyway. Player interaction is hard to do well!

So thanks for this feedback. I'm scrapping this and going with a new entry in a card I've already made:
Migrate - Event, $3 cost.
Once per game: +1 Action and +1 Buy. You may trash an Action from your hand to put your deck and discard pile into your hand. Return to your Action phase.
Draw your whole deck at the cost of $3 and an Action card. You can flood your deck with all the stuff you like then go with the ultimate mega turn, but timing it can take skill. Swinginess might be a problem as well in that you may not get a good hand to buy this at the optimal time.

Refine - Action - $4

-
I'm wondering if Graveyard Key isn't too vulnerable to swinginess and/or seating order. In the case where the trash has rapidly filled up and players are holding on to their keys, whoever happens to play their key first can get a huge swing in their favour. You could either limit how many cards are taken from the trash or make the key an Event to make it always available when you want it.

Refine looks like it's at the right price if its Rebuild function isn't too much.

Edit: added +1 Action to Migrate, thanks gambit05 for noticing. Made the Action card trash optional in case you just want the +Action.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 04:47:14 pm by Aquila »

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #6559 on: August 06, 2020, 07:49:54 am »

I Realized that two coffers is way too much on my card, they strongly discourage many discarding attacks or cards like Rabble and Fortune Teller. Also gets overpowered with Hunting Party. Here is the new version:

Depot
5$ - Action-Reaction
Do this three times:
Discard two cards; draw until you have 5 cards in hand
-
When you discard this other than during Clean-up you may set it aside. If you do: +1 Villager and discard it at the end of the turn
1 Villager instead of 2 Coffers fixes this issue and also gets rid of some of the terminal collision it brings. Maybe this is also overpowered, but hopefully it works okay.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 08:09:59 am by Jonatan Djurachkovitch »

WillhelmSchulz

• Pawn
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6560 on: August 06, 2020, 08:04:28 am »
+3

That problem could be solved when Mountain is a trasher itself, e.g. when gained. This needs an extra dividing line, but I think you don't need the existing one. I also think you can skip the "but not less than 0 VP". If someone accumulates Treasures and goes for Mountains, then they are doomed anyway (Mountain of Doom).
So, my suggestions:

Worth 10 VP, less 1 VP for each treasure in your deck.
--------------------------------------
When you gain this, you may trash a card from your hand.

Some other possibilities for on-gain trashing:
When you gain this, choose one, trash a card from your hand; or each other player gains a Silver.
When you gain this, trash a card from your hand and each other player gains a Silver.
When you gain this, you may trash any treasure from your hand.
The cost of the card should be accordingly adjusted (whatever that means).

Thank you for your feedback. You've got some very good points. And you are absolutly right, it didn't need the dividing line in its first form.
Mountain of Doom would be fun, but I see it very problematic with swindler. That in it self could be fixed by lowering/increasing its price, but I don't really want to increase its price any further.
I kept the updated version as simple as possible, but I really liked this suggestions:

Here is my updated entry - Mountain:

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #6561 on: August 06, 2020, 09:20:46 am »

Refine - Action - $4

-

I haven't even gotten the chance to talk about the strategic implications of starting with $6 and a coffer have on your deck. It means that there is a higher chance that you can choose a 5/2 or 4/3 opening (It is possible to get stuck with a 5/2 if you have a hand of 5 coppers and a hand of 3estate, 1 copper, 1 Graveyard Key. But other than that one possibility, everyone get's to choose their opening. Yay!). Then there's the -- when do I sacrifice 1$ to trash this card?

I think that you would rarely use graveyard key, because if you're not the first one to use it you gain the other one from the trash! I don't think that is intended.

That’s not true. You may choose to gain the cards from the trash. You don’t have to.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6562 on: August 06, 2020, 09:37:15 am »
+2

Once per game: +1 Buy. Trash an Action from your hand to put your deck and discard pile into your hand. Return to your Action phase.
Is it on purpose that you return to your Action phase without +1 Action (= Cavalry), or do you want to also give +1 Action (= Villa)?

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #6563 on: August 06, 2020, 11:52:00 am »

Changed Master Plan's cost:

I get that this was too expensive at . But Master Plan is either a or a . But not a (because, y'know, Royal Carriage). I tried here, but maybe this is still not right? It's definitely better than the previous version at least.
Bottom text

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #6564 on: August 06, 2020, 12:28:41 pm »

You can make it stronger by removing the "if it's still in play" clause. I don't like it on Royal Carriage, but it makes significantly less sense here since it doesn't prevent the card from being played without being in play. (For example, you could Play Mining Village, then Call Master Plan, play Mining Village and trash it, play mining village again anyway. This works with the current wording.)

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #6565 on: August 06, 2020, 12:35:21 pm »

But I don't want to fall into the weirdness of calling a Master Plan on a Master Plan you've just played. I believe this is why Royal Carriage had that clause in the first place, or part of the reason why.
Bottom text

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6566 on: August 06, 2020, 12:36:01 pm »

Changed Master Plan's cost:

I get that this was too expensive at . But Master Plan is either a or a . But not a (because, y'know, Royal Carriage). I tried here, but maybe this is still not right? It's definitely better than the previous version at least.
Maybe I miss something, but I have the feeling that this has all the benefits of King's Court plus something, and thus is strictly better.
When I look at the following two scenarios:
1) You have KC vs. Master Plan and a strong card in your hand. They have the same outcome.
2) You have KC vs Master Plan and no Action card in hand. KC is for nothing, but Master Plan waits on the Tavern mat for better times (and they can be even piled up there).
What about making Master Plan a Night-Reserve card?

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #6567 on: August 06, 2020, 01:29:07 pm »
+1

No. You cannot do KC-KC with this which is why it is weaker than KC.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #6568 on: August 06, 2020, 01:40:22 pm »

But I don't want to fall into the weirdness of calling a Master Plan on a Master Plan you've just played. I believe this is why Royal Carriage had that clause in the first place, or part of the reason why.

I don't get why that's such a big problem. I actually wanted to do it once for the +1 Action and was frustrated that you couldn't do it.

I mean, sure, yeah, it's slightly confusing. But who cares?

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6569 on: August 06, 2020, 02:06:22 pm »

No. You cannot do KC-KC with this which is why it is weaker than KC.
Good point! So, when you play KC to its full capacity it is better.
If both, KC and Master Plan are in the same Kingdom, decent trasher and all components for a strong engine available, which of the two would you first buy?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 02:14:15 pm by gambit05 »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #6570 on: August 06, 2020, 02:16:46 pm »

At $7 always KC as there is a small chance that KC duds in the situation you described.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #6571 on: August 06, 2020, 03:30:13 pm »

At $7 always KC as there is a small chance that KC duds in the situation you described.
If both are of equal cost, still with the same situation described, I think I'd do Master Plan > King's Court > King's Court > etc... There is no real downside of running with only 1 Master Plan, as it can be used to replay a King's Court for the same effect of King's Courting a King's Court. And the upside is that it won't dud, ever, as opposed as a dead King's Court hand. As we go further into that game, King's Court are probably better. But one Master Plan is not bad to have.

In a Master Plan only game, I can still see it being viable. It takes that special kind of game though. Now I wonder if Master Plan should have its cost reduced to a ... It's starting to be pretty good for its price down there.
Bottom text

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6572 on: August 06, 2020, 04:16:30 pm »

If both are of equal cost, still with the same situation described, I think I'd do Master Plan > King's Court > King's Court > etc... There is no real downside of running with only 1 Master Plan, as it can be used to replay a King's Court for the same effect of King's Courting a King's Court. And the upside is that it won't dud, ever, as opposed as a dead King's Court hand. As we go further into that game, King's Court are probably better. But one Master Plan is not bad to have.

In a Master Plan only game, I can still see it being viable. It takes that special kind of game though. Now I wonder if Master Plan should have its cost reduced to a ... It's starting to be pretty good for its price down there.
That is really interesting. I would tend to go for Master Plan first (1x) and then KC, like X-tra mentioned, but I am in no way a strong player. Thanks both of you for your input. Anyway, an interesting card.

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #6573 on: August 06, 2020, 04:53:16 pm »
+1

A golem but not really. Watch out! If it plays a copper you can't buy another one. I think playing up to four cards counts as big?
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #6574 on: August 06, 2020, 05:03:13 pm »

Once per game: +1 Buy. Trash an Action from your hand to put your deck and discard pile into your hand. Return to your Action phase.
Is it on purpose that you return to your Action phase without +1 Action (= Cavalry), or do you want to also give +1 Action (= Villa)?
Sure, at first I may have thought no Action to try and make it a bit more skillful, but that's really making things more open to swinginess in getting the starting hand just right. With +Action you can do some stuff to activate the big draw, so all the buildup won't be for nothing so easily. So:

Once per game: +1 Action and +1 Buy. You may trash an Action from your hand to put your deck and discard pile into your hand. Return to your Action phase.
Like this you can get just the +Action if you really want, which might suit a thinner engine deck that draws itself every turn. In a way though, it could be less interesting with this option there? Like if you were going with a big buildup strategy, but there was one turn where getting the +Action by itself was the correct thing to do.
Leaving it like this for now, more functionality is generally good.
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 21 queries.