Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546624 times)

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #6500 on: August 03, 2020, 08:22:14 am »
+1

couple questions: 1 - the printed number has to be big, not that a card has "explosive synergy potential" or whatever?
So like, this doesn't cut it?:

2- does Mountain Pass qualify as an official landscape w big number?
1 - As I said I'm not going to DQ anything, I see the contest criteria as less of a requirement and more of an inspiration. Your card doesn't literally have a high number printed on it, but in practice it seems to be pretty easy to use it to gain 4 or more cards at once which is certainly a lot, so I would say it fits well enough.

2 - Absolutely! I knew there were a few I was forgetting.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #6501 on: August 03, 2020, 08:32:27 am »
+1

Serious submission:

Joke Submission:

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #6502 on: August 03, 2020, 08:40:30 am »
+1

ok cool then Sorceror will be my entry

Sorceror • $4^ • Action
+1 Action
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing exactly $1 more than it, then gain a card costing exactly $2 more than it, and so on until there is a price not present in the Supply.
FAQ: if there is no card costing exactly $1 more, this stops there, you do not gain the $2-more-than-it card.

Thematically the card kind of resembles the plot of The Sorceror's Apprentice more than the Sorceror, but that great "conjure a butterfly" still works thematically with Way of the Butterfly for what it does.

This will, when trashing an Estate, be able to snag at least a Silver and a Potion (dubious whether that's good) and if there's a $5, that and a gold.

My alternate was less thrilling

and probably has some tempo issues.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 05:34:28 pm by spineflu »

JimJammer

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6503 on: August 03, 2020, 09:26:16 am »

20 in the pile

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #6504 on: August 03, 2020, 10:27:12 am »

Art School
cost $4 - Action
Gain a card costing up to $6.
Each other player may gain a card costing up to $3.

EDIT: This card is discarded.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 10:58:00 pm by majiponi »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #6505 on: August 03, 2020, 12:15:02 pm »

Art School
cost $4 - Action
I like this but fear that there are too many Kingdoms without decent $2s and $3s. And when there are, the crazy piling could make Art School too centralizing.

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #6506 on: August 03, 2020, 12:23:01 pm »
+2

Bequest (Event, $0)

Once per game: +$5, +1 Buy.

A Free Platinum! When will you use yours?

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6507 on: August 03, 2020, 12:56:47 pm »

Bequest (Event, $0)

Once per game: +$5, +1 Buy.

A Free Platinum! When will you use yours?
Well, if there are junkers or trashers you will definitely use it in the opening.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #6508 on: August 03, 2020, 03:40:48 pm »

I designed this card

For my expansion years ago.

... is that a coincidence?
Ha, I just randomly picked a name and went with the first google image search.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #6509 on: August 03, 2020, 06:28:49 pm »

Warband - $7
Action - Attack - Looter
Gain a Horse and a Spoils.
Each other player gains a Ruins to the top of their deck.
If this is the first time you played a a Warband this turn, each player (including you) reveals their hand. You may gain a copy of a Victory or Treasure card revealed this way.

Yeah, so this may be a bit excessive, and I am not sure about the wording on the second half or if 7 is the right price, but this is what I came up with.

Edit: Updated the text on the second half of the card.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 11:05:13 pm by Xen3k »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #6510 on: August 03, 2020, 10:44:36 pm »
+1

Warband - $7
Action - Attack - Looter
Gain a Horse and a Spoils.
Each other player gains a Ruins to the top of their deck.
The first time you play a Warband this turn, each player (including you) reveals their hand. You may gain a copy of a Victory or Treasure card revealed this way.

Yeah, so this may be a bit excessive, and I am not sure about the wording on the second half or if 7 is the right price, but this is what I came up with.

It is a bit unclear on when you mean for the last part to trigger. If you start your turn and play a single Warband, does it happen? Or do you mean for it to set up a thing that will happen when you next play one? As worded, it's a weird mix of both concepts and isn't clear which one you meant.

Look at Crossroads for a simple wording to make it so that it only happens the first time you play a Warband each turn. If you meant it to happen on the second play of Warband, you should say "the next time" instead of "the first time". Alternatively you could use a wording such as "if you have exactly 2 Warbands in play (including this)"; which would have some different interactions with Throne Room, Overlord, etc, but still usually work out the same.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #6511 on: August 03, 2020, 11:03:53 pm »

It is a bit unclear on when you mean for the last part to trigger. If you start your turn and play a single Warband, does it happen? Or do you mean for it to set up a thing that will happen when you next play one? As worded, it's a weird mix of both concepts and isn't clear which one you meant.

Look at Crossroads for a simple wording to make it so that it only happens the first time you play a Warband each turn. If you meant it to happen on the second play of Warband, you should say "the next time" instead of "the first time". Alternatively you could use a wording such as "if you have exactly 2 Warbands in play (including this)"; which would have some different interactions with Throne Room, Overlord, etc, but still usually work out the same.

Thanks a bundle! I completely forgot about Crossroads and was trying to Frankenstein the text for Merchant into what I wanted.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #6512 on: August 03, 2020, 11:11:46 pm »

Art School
cost $4 - Action
I like this but fear that there are too many Kingdoms without decent $2s and $3s. And when there are, the crazy piling could make Art School too centralizing.

I tried giving $4, but too easy to piling out Art School, Duchy, and Estate.  We already have Governor, so giving $6 and $3 is ok.  I let gaining a Gold to avoid piling out too easily.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6513 on: August 04, 2020, 12:41:58 am »

You will mostly gain $5s with this, not Golds.
In Kingdoms without decent cheap cards, it is nearly as good as Artisan.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #6514 on: August 04, 2020, 03:35:19 am »

Geologist - Action, $5 cost.
The player to your left names a type. Reveal your hand. +5 Cards less 1 for each card in your hand with the named type. If they named Action or Treasure, +1 Action.
You get a nice draw card of some description most of the time, with some situations where it's particularly bad or good.
A poor opponent to one's left and time to resolve might be issues. As might '+5 Cards less 1'; should it be 'draw 5 cards less 1' to be clearer you don't always draw 5 cards?

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonis20004
  • Respect: +95
    • View Profile
« Reply #6515 on: August 04, 2020, 03:43:01 am »

Business loan
9 Debt - Event
+ 5$
Spend any amount of $ to gain exactly two cards together costing up to the amount spent.

Please let me know if this has any rules issues. I think that you can spend $ even if you have debt, but you cannot buy cards. I also don't like the wording that much.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 04:03:47 am by Jonatan Djurachkovitch »

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #6516 on: August 04, 2020, 04:02:31 am »

The player to your left names a type. Reveal your hand. +5 Cards less 1 for each card in your hand with the named type. If they named Action or Treasure, +1 Action.
You get a nice draw card of some description most of the time, with some situations where it's particularly bad or good.
A poor opponent to one's left and time to resolve might be issues. As might '+5 Cards less 1'; should it be 'draw 5 cards less 1' to be clearer you don't always draw 5 cards?

Use "minus" instead of "less". "Less" makes no grammatical sense, and reducing the amount of something you gain is often a bit akward, especially when drawing cards. Maybe use "Set aside 5 cards from the top of your deck (face down). The player to your left names a card type. Reveal your hand. For each revealed card with the named card type, discard one of the set aside cards. Put the rest into your hand." I feel like +1 action as a bonus is way too strong on a drawing card, and it creates a lot of variation between different decks. Maybe it is actually balanced, but it doesn't seem super fun playing this and drawing no cards. Maybe the bonus should be if you draw less than 2 cards. Its greatly varying drawing power makes it unreliable and oftern unviable in engines.

Alsterschwan

• Swindler
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6517 on: August 04, 2020, 08:46:29 am »

Use "minus" instead of "less". "Less" makes no grammatical sense, and reducing the amount of something you gain is often a bit akward, especially when drawing cards. Maybe use "Set aside 5 cards from the top of your deck (face down). The player to your left names a card type. Reveal your hand. For each revealed card with the named card type, discard one of the set aside cards. Put the rest into your hand." I feel like +1 action as a bonus is way too strong on a drawing card, and it creates a lot of variation between different decks. Maybe it is actually balanced, but it doesn't seem super fun playing this and drawing no cards. Maybe the bonus should be if you draw less than 2 cards. Its greatly varying drawing power makes it unreliable and oftern unviable in engines.

The player to your left names a type. Reveal your hand. +1 Card per revealed card without that type.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #6518 on: August 04, 2020, 10:14:47 am »

Use "minus" instead of "less". "Less" makes no grammatical sense

I agree that it's not ideal for card wording, but that actually is a proper usage of "less". A common similar sentence might be "I got paid $50, less $10 in taxes". One listed definition of "less" is as a preposition, meaning "minus".
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #6519 on: August 04, 2020, 10:20:35 am »
+1

Use "minus" instead of "less". "Less" makes no grammatical sense

I agree that it's not ideal for card wording, but that actually is a proper usage of "less". A common similar sentence might be "I got paid $50, less $10 in taxes". One listed definition of "less" is as a preposition, meaning "minus".
Okay, sorry, I'm not a native english speaker.

Marpharos

• Baron
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #6520 on: August 04, 2020, 02:17:24 pm »
+1

Assuming this fits with the theme this week, here's my submission:

Bank Teller
Action - $5
Play up to 3 Treasures from your hand. Then pay all of your $ and +1 Coffers per $1 you paid.
-
At the start of Clean-up, take per Treasure in play and then you may pay off .

This is probably horribly broken, but I thought Storyteller was a good basis for a card becoming big. And obviously this is the theme for 'teller cards...
Absolutely no playtesting involved with this one, and seeing as this can go big with either Coffers or Debt I'm inclined to leave it as long as it fits the competition this week. I used Storyteller and Capital to figure out the wordings of these, so should be good!

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #6521 on: August 04, 2020, 03:26:49 pm »

This is to King's Court what Royal Carriage is to Throne Room. The name "Master plan" follows the footsteps laid by Mastermind.

It's not particularly creative and I'm sure that card has been done before, but eh. I'm okay with that.
Bottom text

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #6522 on: August 04, 2020, 03:31:07 pm »
+1

This is to King's Court what Royal Carriage is to Throne Room. The name "Master plan" follows the footsteps laid by Mastermind.

It's not particularly creative and I'm sure that card has been done before, but eh. I'm okay with that.

I think this could get away with costing $6 (or $7 but certainly not $8) as it is unable to chain which is arguably the strongest part of King's Court.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #6523 on: August 04, 2020, 03:45:52 pm »

I think this could get away with costing $6 (or $7 but certainly not $8) as it is unable to chain which is arguably the strongest part of King's Court.
Royal Carriage costs more than Throne Room. The situation is the same here, except that this costs more than King's Court. That's the benchmark I'll base my pricing on.
Bottom text

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #6524 on: August 04, 2020, 04:21:15 pm »
+2

Maybe too crazy/situational:
Name: Committee
Types: Action, Command
Cost: $5
Turn your Journey token over (it starts face up). Then if it's face up, the player to your left chooses a non-Command action card in the supply for you to play 5 times, leaving it there.
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.