Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546756 times)

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #6325 on: July 17, 2020, 06:56:21 pm »

Thank you alion8me but I guess I finished them off while you were compiling your post, and you wrote them up much nicer than me :). I'll delete the duplicates from my post.
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #6326 on: July 17, 2020, 07:13:43 pm »

Thank you alion8me but I guess I finished them off while you were compiling your post, and you wrote them up much nicer than me :). I'll delete the duplicates from my post.
Ah sorry! I just wanted to make sure that a partial list wasn't left up.

LordBaphomet

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6327 on: July 17, 2020, 07:24:29 pm »
+1

Treaty: a necromancer clone but its different! The allies come from a random small deck, and are shuffled and distributed each game.

Allies are as follows: (I will make images once I receive feedback and balance them)
Emissary [one per player] - Ally
+1 Card, +1 Action, exchange one of your other two allies with one of another payer's allies (that isn't an emissary).

Watchman - Ally
Draw up to six cards in your hand

Merchant - Ally
+2 Cards, +1 Buy

Thug - Ally - Attack
Discard a treasure. Each other player discards down to three cards in hand

Conman - Ally - Attack
+2$, Each other player takes their -1$ token

Craftsman - Ally
+1$, gain a card costing up to 3$.

Hag - Ally - Attack
Each player (including you) gains a curse. You may trash up to 2 card from your hand.

[Name Pending] - Ally
+1 Action, +1 Card, +2$. Take your -1 card token.

Courtesan - Ally - Victory
+2$
-----------------
This is worth 2 VP if on your Allies mat at the end of the game.

Propagandist - Ally - Victory
When this leaves your ally mat, take your -1$ token.
----------------------------------------------------------------
This is worth 4 VP if on your Allies mat at the end of the game.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 07:36:15 pm by LordBaphomet »

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #6328 on: July 17, 2020, 11:03:15 pm »

Scenic Route
$5 - Action
+2 Cards
If the previous card you have played this turn was not Scenic Route, +2 Actions.

While this is in play, you cannot buy Attack cards.

A supervillage that imposes buy limitations.

LordBaphomet

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6329 on: July 17, 2020, 11:14:58 pm »

Scenic Route
$5 - Action
+2 Cards
If the previous card you have played this turn was not Scenic Route, +2 Actions.

Well, best case scenario you are playing this every other action, so it averages to +1 Actions, +2 Cards, which is a lab, so with a drawback on the card it makes it seem rather weak. Additionally, the drawback is very swingy, not doing anything when there are no attacks, not mattering when there are garbage attacks, doesn't affect attacks you only want a few of early game like junkers, and makes the card a huge no-go with things like goons, margrave, etc. on the board.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 11:16:05 pm by LordBaphomet »

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #6330 on: July 17, 2020, 11:30:48 pm »

Scenic Route
$5 - Action
+2 Cards

Well, best case scenario you are playing this every other action, so it averages to +1 Actions, +2 Cards, which is a lab, so with a drawback on the card it makes it seem rather weak. Additionally, the drawback is very swingy, not doing anything when there are no attacks, not mattering when there are garbage attacks, doesn't affect attacks you only want a few of early game like junkers, and makes the card a huge no-go with things like goons, margrave, etc. on the board.

It's a lab when you play nothing but Scenic Routes. If you interlace them with payload cards, it's a Lost City. I found sequences like Route-Attack-Route-Attack-Route-... too severe and relatively easy to achieve, hence the non-Attack limitation.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 11:33:11 pm by grep »

LordBaphomet

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6331 on: July 17, 2020, 11:45:50 pm »

Scenic Route
$5 - Action
+2 Cards

It's a lab when you play nothing but Scenic Routes. If you interlace them with payload cards, it's a Lost City. I found sequences like Route-Attack-Route-Attack-Route-... too severe and relatively easy to achieve, hence the non-Attack limitation.

I'm sorry, I misread that.  I now understand why it needs a limitation but I still think that an attack limitation is way too swingy.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #6332 on: July 18, 2020, 01:34:08 am »

Scenic Route
$5 - Action
+2 Cards

I'm sorry, I misread that.  I now understand why it needs a limitation but I still think that an attack limitation is way too swingy.
The card is not swingy. Swingy means that the PLAY strength of the card varies a lot.

The card is overpowered in Kingdoms without Attacks and if there are good Attacks, you face a tough choice. That is all related to the question of whether you should GAIN the card or not.

It is likely overpowered with Attacks though too. You can simply Buy the Attack(s) first and then go for Scenic Routes.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 01:41:22 am by segura »

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #6333 on: July 18, 2020, 03:02:06 am »

Waterwheel (Action, $5)

+3 Cards
You may trash a card from your hand.
———
When you gain this, trash a card from your hand. If you can’t, set this aside, and return this to its pile at the start of Cleanup.

Not quite sure how to phrase it so that you are forced to trash a card when gaining this card. This seems reasonable, but there may still be some shenanigans possible this way.

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonis20004
  • Respect: +95
    • View Profile
« Reply #6334 on: July 18, 2020, 03:36:33 am »

Waterwheel (Action, $5)

+3 Cards
———
When you gain this, trash a card from your hand. If you can’t, set this aside, and return this to its pile at the start of Cleanup.

Not quite sure how to phrase it so that you are forced to trash a card when gaining this card. This seems reasonable, but there may still be some shenanigans possible this way.
When vanilla cards have a requirement for an effect they use "if you did". Maybe "If you didn't" is a better wording in this case. If you want to rewrite it you can take inspiration from Animal Fair. If there is some shenanigans possible, maybe it is with watchtower or similar cards. Also, exiling it from the supply (as with Camel Caravan) doesn't count as gaining, and wont force you to trash a card, but I think that this is an acceptable loophole.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6335 on: July 18, 2020, 05:03:57 am »

Waterwheel (Action, $5)

+3 Cards
———

There is no reason to not immediately return this to the pile.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #6336 on: July 18, 2020, 06:03:31 am »
+2

« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 06:44:46 am by grrgrrgrr »

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #6337 on: July 18, 2020, 08:09:14 am »
+1

Having done some playtesting, Waterwheel is too strong for $5, so will increase the price. I will also reword the below-the-line effect (thanks for the suggestions).

Waterwheel (Action, $6)

+3 Cards
———
When you gain this, trash a card from your hand. If you didn’t, return this to its pile.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #6338 on: July 18, 2020, 08:19:03 am »
+3

Contest #80 - Results

Scribe by D782802859

I like the way it makes use of night phase to save the card if it was not used. However, in the playtests Scribe shows some weakness. The difference from Scholar is that Scholar normally draws you more cards that you have before. With Scribe it only happens if you manage to reduce your hand size before, which is not always easy, you have to play before cards that don’t draw and still have an action available to play Scribe. In general, it’s s sifter not a draw card. Even in the best scenario to it (with non-terminal trashers and villages that don’t draw), in which it sometimes draws, many times it ends up being only a terminal Cellar. I could see how important is that +1 Action in sifters like Cellar or Warehouse. Scribe would be better with that +1 Action too, but maybe this way it could have some resemblance to Hunting Lodge.
Thanks for the feedback, Carline! I definitely made the card underpowered and could probably justify it at 2. I don't want to make it non-terminal though, because the core concept of the card wants to be terminal. A change of the draw amount from 5 to 6 could help, although that might warrant a price bump.

An idea for a duration I've had floating around. Grab an upgrade to your basic village, but it topdecks Victories. Of course, it wants to be a duration so the downside matters more.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #6339 on: July 18, 2020, 08:29:41 am »

I've been on a Potion-cost kick and i see no real reason to stop now.
I started with this:

Mycologist • $3P • Action
+$3. You may play a Mycologist from your hand.
-
When you buy this, you may overpay. For each $1 or P you overpay, reveal & discard the top card of your deck, setting aside any Mycologists; put them into your hand after drawing a new hand during clean up.
which, wow, overpay makes fonts tiny fast.

After putzing with it a little bit more, I got to

Auramancer • $2^ • Action
+$2
-
While this is in play, Actions with +$ amounts in their text are also Treasures.
which i'm much happier with and will be my entry.
It's on-play capitalism.
And the name is less the mtg/"traditional" idea of an aura and instead from the latin for gold, "aurum".

[Name Pending] - Ally
+1 Action, +1 Card, +2$. Take your -1 card token.
might I suggest "Financier" as a name? since it's a Conspirator who always has $, yknow, he's bankrolling the whole operation, etc.?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 09:01:32 am by spineflu »

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonis20004
  • Respect: +95
    • View Profile
« Reply #6340 on: July 18, 2020, 09:13:11 am »

I edit my submission, the "gain two"-clause wasn't in line with the pricing and what I wanted to do with the card. This is my new version:

Scouting Pack
Action-Reserve - 4$
+1 Action
Put this onto your tavern mat
-------------------------------
You may call this before or after resolving an action to reveal the top 5 cards of your deck: discard any number and put the rest onto your deck in any order.
-------------------------------
When you gain this, put it onto your tavern mat.

Marpharos

• Baron
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #6341 on: July 18, 2020, 07:01:31 pm »

Having done some playtesting, Waterwheel is too strong for $5, so will increase the price. I will also reword the below-the-line effect (thanks for the suggestions).

Waterwheel (Action, $6)

+3 Cards
———
When you gain this, trash a card from your hand. If you didn’t, return this to its pile.

I was thinking of doing something really similar to this and have a below the line effect of "when you gain or trash this, trash a card from your hand." I like the idea of not gaining it if you can't trash something, so keeping it as it currently is maybe it should say "When you gain this, you may trash a card from your hand. If you didn't, return this to its pile." If there are still shenanigans to have with this then they're probably fine and edge-case scenarios anyway.

[Edit - I missed that there was a later version of this...]

My submission this week is Marooner. It's like a returning island with a Ghost Ship below the line effect.

Marooner $5 - Action - Attack - Reaction

+$3
Exile this and another card from your hand.
-
When you discard this from Exile, each other player with 4 or more cards in hand puts cards from their hand onto their deck until they have 3 cards in hand.

Maybe it wants to cost 4, or maybe it wants to give +$2 instead of +$3. I'm not sure how to value Exiling cards so any advice is appreciated!

UPDATED LATER
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 05:30:40 pm by Marpharos »

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #6342 on: July 19, 2020, 12:49:47 am »

Note: reactions would only be able to react to the card being played, not discarded from exile, so the Attack type is useless on the card.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #6343 on: July 19, 2020, 01:39:04 am »

Horseman
$3
Action-Reaction
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Discard 2 cards.
-------
When any player plays an Attack card, you may play this from your hand.
(+1 Action has no effect if it's not your turn)

The bottom half looks like Caravan Guard, but it triggers when any player plays an Attack card. So you can use your last Action on a Witch, but then play this, cycle a bit, and keep your turn going.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 05:42:06 am by [TP] Inferno »
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6344 on: July 19, 2020, 01:42:23 am »

Fugitive is a $4.5 so Fugitive+ is a $5.

herw

• Golem
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #6345 on: July 19, 2020, 04:42:36 am »

Horseman
$3
Action-Reaction
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Discard a card.
-------
When any player plays an Attack card, you may play this from your hand.
(+1 Action has no effect if it's not your turn)

The bottom half looks like Caravan Guard, but it triggers when any player plays an Attack card. So you can use your last Action on a Witch, but then play this, cycle a bit, and keep your turn going.
triggers from hand only, so it is no duration card like caravan guard. - interesting
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 04:52:42 am by herw »

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #6346 on: July 19, 2020, 05:41:43 am »

Fugitive is a $4.5 so Fugitive+ is a $5.
Oh yeah. Will fix.
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

LordBaphomet

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6347 on: July 19, 2020, 11:58:37 am »

Waterwheel (Action, $6)

+3 Cards
———

I was thinking of doing something really similar to this and have a below the line effect of "when you gain or trash this, trash a card from your hand." I like the idea of not gaining it if you can't trash something, so keeping it as it currently is maybe it should say "When you gain this, you may trash a card from your hand. If you didn't, return this to its pile." If there are still shenanigans to have with this then they're probably fine and edge-case scenarios anyway.

[Edit - I missed that there was a later version of this...]

My submission this week is Marooner. It's like a returning island with a Ghost Ship below the line effect.

Marooner $5 - Action - Attack - Reaction

+$3
-
When you discard this from Exile, each other player with 4 or more cards in hand puts cards from their hand onto their deck until they have 3 cards in hand.

Maybe it wants to cost 4, or maybe it wants to give +$2 instead of +$3. I'm not sure how to value Exiling cards so any advice is appreciated!

I don't think this needs a reaction type at all, since all it reacts to is itself. It could just be a standard dividing line, similar to when-gain.

LordBaphomet

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6348 on: July 19, 2020, 12:30:44 pm »

Allies update:

Emissary [one per player] [I don't know how I feel about this being typeless, but it makes the wording comprehensible...]
+1 Card, +1 Action, exchange one of your Ally cards with another player's.

Watchman - Ally - Reaction
Discard a card. Draw up to 5 cards in hand.
-------------------------------------------
While this is on your ally mat, when you gain a card you may trash it.

Financier - Ally - Reaction
+1 Buy, +1$
--------------------
While this is on your ally mat, when you gain a treasure you may set this aside. If you do, play this and return this at the end of your turn.

Thug - Ally - Attack
Discard a card. Each other player discards down to three cards in hand

Conman - Ally - Attack
+2$, Each other player takes their -1$ token or gains a copper, their choice.

Craftsman - Ally
+1 Action, gain a card costing up to 3$.

Hag - Ally - Attack
+1 Action, each player (including you) gains a curse. You may trash up to 2 card from your hand.

Tavernkeeper - Ally
+2 Cards, +2 Actions, discard 2 cards.

Courtesan - Ally - Victory
+2$
-----------------
This is worth 2 VP if on your Allies mat at the end of the game.

Propagandist - Ally - Victory
When this leaves your ally mat, take your -1$ token.
----------------------------------------------------------------
This is worth 5 VP if on your Allies mat at the end of the game.

Slaver - Ally - Curse
+3 Cards, +1 Buy
----------------------------------------------
This is worth -3 VP if on your Allies mat at the end of the game
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 12:41:08 pm by LordBaphomet »

Marpharos

• Baron
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #6349 on: July 19, 2020, 05:51:28 pm »

Note: reactions would only be able to react to the card being played, not discarded from exile, so the Attack type is useless on the card.

I don't think this needs a reaction type at all, since all it reacts to is itself. It could just be a standard dividing line, similar to when-gain.

The Reaction typing is that it reacts to a stimuli. Black Cat requires the card to be played to stop it from handing out all the curses in 1 turn with very few Black Cats. Not all reaction cards require it to be played, like Tunnel. Speaking of, the Tunnel wording is much more in line with what I'm trying to do I think. Also, if Ghost Ship is an attack then this is an attack, and you can attack if it's your turn or not.

Updated Downthread

+$3
-
When you discard this other than during Clean-up, you may reveal it and each other player with 4 or more cards in hand puts cards from their hand onto their deck until they have 3 cards in hand.

It's effect can't really be triggered more than once per round unless something allows you to draw back up like Council Room, and even then you're going to be putting the same things back most likely. I didn't want to put too many more words on there as it's very crowded already, and I checked that it's effect would still happen if discarded from Exile. It just opens it up to more shenanigans too.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 02:30:06 pm by Marpharos »
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.