Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1556431 times)

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #6250 on: July 09, 2020, 01:26:56 am »

Captain's Quarters, part Village, part Delay/Turtle, with an interesting on-gain. The on-gain is the main idea of the card, the top is just something I came up with to match its theme.

This should probably limit itself to setting aside non-Duration cards to make it less confusing. It also seems like it might be a bit strong but I'm not very confident saying that. Otherwise, it's pretty cool, kind of like a Villa-lite.

Also, this really doesn't need to be able to play Night cards at all.

Edit: just thought about it a bit more and this is definitely quite strong. Using it on a draw card is a huge deal. It should probably cost $5.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 01:28:22 am by alion8me »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1433
    • View Profile
« Reply #6251 on: July 09, 2020, 01:53:04 am »

Captain's Quarters, part Village, part Delay/Turtle, with an interesting on-gain. The on-gain is the main idea of the card, the top is just something I came up with to match its theme.

This should probably limit itself to setting aside non-Duration cards to make it less confusing.
You mean like Ghost or Mastermind?

Duration-ing Durations is totally fine.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #6252 on: July 09, 2020, 06:07:32 am »
+1

Replicate - Treasure, $6 cost.
$1
When you play this, you may play an Action from your hand, changing its +Card amounts into + $. You may gain a copy of it.
We can do Disciple on a Treasure can't we? You aren't gaining copies of itself, and here +card amounts are chameleoned to help slow cycling and the times you play it. Hopefully the $6 cost and the $1 worth are roughly right for balance.

This feels very awkward to play to me. Saving non-terminal actions for your Buy Phase to use them with this doesn't feel great and using it on terminals floods you with them very easily. I feel like this would still be on the weaker end even at $5.
It seems like you overlooked that 'you may' gain a copy, unlike Disciple. Still, when you choose not to gain it's a pretty feeble result, the power of one Action stretched across 2 cards.

So I updated it:
Replicate - Treasure, $6 cost.
When you play this, you may play an Action from your hand, changing its +Card amounts into + $. You may play it again like this and/or gain a copy of it. If you do both, trash this.
There's a Throne option so no power density is necessarily diluted. So you can gain things to build the deck then Throne them later, do both for a big one-shot, or keep this doing one function only. It's flexible, maybe worth $6 or even more.
Thank you and anordinaryman for feedback.

Updated Submission

Pendant - Action - Treasure - $3
+1 Action +$1

You may play an Action, Treasure, or Night Card from your hand.

You may trash this. If you do, play a non-Duration card you have in play.

Updated Pendant to remove the Silver+ness and it can't play Curses anymore. Now, even if you don't have a reason to play a card out of order, you can still use this as a Village during your action phase. So, it always have some use, albeit it would be the weakest village in the game. For fun, it can be a one-shot crown. The non-duration clause is to prevent confusing situations.

Edit: like always, open to feedback.
It looks like the on-trash ability wants to be Scepter. You can replay called Reserves for one thing, and for another, this makes infinite loops with Treasurer. Stick a +buy token on this for the win.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1352
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #6253 on: July 09, 2020, 08:53:13 am »

This should probably limit itself to setting aside non-Duration cards to make it less confusing.

yeah but playing a duration card this turn + next turn makes tracking harder - does it do effect 1 or effect 2 or both? combo that with using captains quarters to play captains quarters and it's ugly
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 08:56:32 am by spineflu »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6254 on: July 09, 2020, 09:15:38 am »

yeah but playing a duration card this turn + next turn makes tracking harder - does it do effect 1 or effect 2 or both? combo that with using captains quarters to play captains quarters and it's ugly
It is no different than what Ghost and Mastermind do. Mastermind is even more complex to track due to the throning yet everybody seems to be fine with it.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1352
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #6255 on: July 09, 2020, 09:24:47 am »

It is no different than what Ghost and Mastermind do. Mastermind is even more complex to track due to the throning yet everybody seems to be fine with it.
mastermind/ghost does one thing and doesn't split a cards' plays over two turns. You always know whether to do the "this turn" or "next turn" ability.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 10:36:02 am by spineflu »

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #6256 on: July 09, 2020, 10:02:59 am »
+1

Morning Market
cost $2 - Action
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Take an extra Buy phase immediately, during which you gain cards onto your deck.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #6257 on: July 09, 2020, 10:49:02 am »

Updated Submission - UPDATED

+1 Action +$1

You may play an Action or Treasure Card from your hand.

You may set this aside. If you do, replay a card you played this turn that's still in play.

Uses feedback from Aquila to make it more like scepter. Pendant now removes itself from the game by being set-aside. There's no more infinite loops, once it is set aside, you can't gain it or play it (it's no longer in play, it's set aside. You can't even recover it from the trash).
I also did like the cleanness alion8me suggested so this can't play night cards any more.

In a FAQ I would say that this card cannot play itself (which would generate infinite $). I think the setting-aside justifies that.

Thank you for your feedback.

As always I'm very open to feedback :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 02:55:22 pm by anordinaryman »

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #6258 on: July 09, 2020, 11:59:33 am »

The phases could be any phase of your turn or other players turn that already exists in the game. Create new phases is not allowed.

Morning Market
cost $2 - Action
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Take an extra Buy phase immediately, during which you gain cards onto your deck.

majiponi, I think it's not according to the rules of the contest, which don't allow to create new phases.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10764
    • View Profile
« Reply #6259 on: July 09, 2020, 12:37:14 pm »

The phases could be any phase of your turn or other players turn that already exists in the game. Create new phases is not allowed.

Morning Market
cost $2 - Action
+1 Action
+1 Buy

majiponi, I think it's not according to the rules of the contest, which don't allow to create new phases.

That's not how I would have interpreted that rule... it sounds to me like it just doesn't want to allow the creation of a phase that doesn't normally exist in Dominion, like when Night was first added.

That being said, technically this card cannot be played in more than 1 phase, nor does it allow cards to be played in more than 1 phase. Treasures can still only be played in buy phase technically. But the card could be re-worded to accomplish the same basic idea and still fit within the exact rules of the contest:

+1 Action
+1 Buy
Play any number of Treasures from your hand. Spend any number of buys; for each buy you spend you may buy a card. Cards bought this way are gained onto your deck.

The wording could use some work, but it's the same except for things like Crown and Villa. A simpler version could just let you buy up to X cards; not worrying about using up buys.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +738
    • View Profile
« Reply #6260 on: July 09, 2020, 01:41:57 pm »
+1

I don't think we've had a Way yet, so here is Way of the Magpie:

Way of the Magpie
You may reveal an Action card from your hand. This turn, cards with the same name as it are also Treasures. Play that Action card.

A variation on Capitalism:
• costs "playing an Action card" to use
• only lasts one turn
• only "capitalisms" one named card
• can "capitalisms" any action, not just with coin amounts

Feedback welcome - the general idea for a Way that "capitalisms" one named card came early, but I struggled a bit with the right details.

At first I tried "follow its instructions, then cards with that name are treasure". But there'd rarely be a reason NOT to ever follow the way, so that's bad. There had to be a negative. Then, it was just "+1 Action, cards with the same name as this are Treasures". But that seemed a little weak, since the point is to allow you to play multiple terminals, and with this wording you would want at least 3 of the same name to follow the way.

So now you can use *any* action card to "capitalism" some other action.

Some interesting combos with Bandit, Magpie, Courtier, etc.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6261 on: July 09, 2020, 02:02:34 pm »
+2

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #6262 on: July 09, 2020, 02:44:54 pm »

The Buy phase ability should definitely be buffed. Maybe a coffer and a villager instead? Or adding a buy?
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

alion8me

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6263 on: July 09, 2020, 02:58:23 pm »
+2

mastermind/ghost does one thing and doesn't split a cards' plays over two turns. You always know whether to do the "this turn" or "next turn" ability.
Yes, that is why I think it shouldn't be able to be used on duration. Ultimately you could probably keep the current behavior, but it would be more confusing than Procession a lot of the time and I don't know if that's worth it.

Morning Market
cost $2 - Action
+1 Action
+1 Buy

That's not how I would have interpreted that rule... it sounds to me like it just doesn't want to allow the creation of a phase that doesn't normally exist in Dominion, like when Night was first added.

That being said, technically this card cannot be played in more than 1 phase, nor does it allow cards to be played in more than 1 phase. Treasures can still only be played in buy phase technically. But the card could be re-worded to accomplish the same basic idea and still fit within the exact rules of the contest:

+1 Action
+1 Buy
Play any number of Treasures from your hand. Spend any number of buys; for each buy you spend you may buy a card. Cards bought this way are gained onto your deck.

The wording could use some work, but it's the same except for things like Crown and Villa. A simpler version could just let you buy up to X cards; not worrying about using up buys.

The suggested wording wouldn't let you buy landscapes, I don't know how important that is though (I suspect it's not really worth having more complicated wording).

If you don't care about buys that much (I suspect the number of times you want to use multiple buys on this are very rare, and when you do, it might be better for balance to only let you do one anyways), I would go with "+1 Action Play any number of treasures from your hand. You may buy a card from the supply, putting it on top of your deck."

I don't think we've had a Way yet, so here is Way of the Magpie:

Way of the Magpie
You may reveal an Action card from your hand. This turn, cards with the same name as it are also Treasures. Play that Action card.

A variation on Capitalism:
• costs "playing an Action card" to use
• only lasts one turn
• only "capitalisms" one named card
• can "capitalisms" any action, not just with coin amounts

Feedback welcome - the general idea for a Way that "capitalisms" one named card came early, but I struggled a bit with the right details.

At first I tried "follow its instructions, then cards with that name are treasure". But there'd rarely be a reason NOT to ever follow the way, so that's bad. There had to be a negative. Then, it was just "+1 Action, cards with the same name as this are Treasures". But that seemed a little weak, since the point is to allow you to play multiple terminals, and with this wording you would want at least 3 of the same name to follow the way.

So now you can use *any* action card to "capitalism" some other action.

Some interesting combos with Bandit, Magpie, Courtier, etc.

The problem I see with this is that it is very hard to get it to be better than a Necropolis. I feel like it would be a lot better if it gave you +1 Action instead of playing the action you want to treasureify in order to make it less awkward to use with terminal actions. (I know that ways are supposed to be weak but as is, there needs to be a very specific combo in order for me to want to use this during a game at all).

The Buy phase ability should definitely be buffed. Maybe a coffer and a villager instead? Or adding a buy?

I like that the Buy phase ability is not great, kind of like Werewolf in that you sometimes want it for its unique capability though. I would rather see this get +3 Cards +1 Buy on the action part of the card.

edit: fixed typo

« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 03:09:25 pm by alion8me »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6264 on: July 09, 2020, 04:38:34 pm »

I like that the Buy phase ability is not great, kind of like Werewolf in that you sometimes want it for its unique capability though. I would rather see this get +3 Cards +1 Buy on the action part of the card.

The problem is that this would make it even more into a mono-engine card than it already is (2 copies are now Market+Lab instead of Peddler+Lab).

alion8me

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6265 on: July 09, 2020, 04:56:57 pm »

The problem is that this would make it even more into a mono-engine card than it already is (2 copies are now Market+Lab instead of Peddler+Lab).

Port City costs $5. I don't think being able to emulate 2 other $5 cards after playing it is an issue. Playing a deck of 50/50 Markets and Labs sounds like a losing strategy the majority of the time, I don't think this would encourage monolithic strategies more heavily than Labs themselves do.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +384
    • View Profile
« Reply #6266 on: July 09, 2020, 05:07:29 pm »

As others have stated this needs a small bump. Changing the coin to a coffer or even adding a second coin would do it.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6267 on: July 09, 2020, 06:29:00 pm »

Port City costs $5. I don't think being able to emulate 2 other $5 cards after playing it is an issue. Playing a deck of 50/50 Markets and Labs sounds like a losing strategy the majority of the time, I don't think this would encourage monolithic strategies more heavily than Labs themselves do.
It is only a benchmark. Smith with a Buy and then some is too good for $5. The nonterminal option seems stronger to me than Barges delaying.

alion8me

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6268 on: July 09, 2020, 07:49:31 pm »

It is only a benchmark. Smith with a Buy and then some is too good for $5. The nonterminal option seems stronger to me than Barges delaying.

Margrave exists. Granted, it's very strong, but I don't think that makes it bad.

I suspect Port City would be strong in a fun way that creates interesting decisions, both because it's more of a strategy enabler than a strategy in and of itself and because the cadence of the Villager token gaining would be unique.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #6269 on: July 09, 2020, 08:25:55 pm »
+1

Thanks for the tips! I think I'm going to simplify it greatly and buff its power slightly. (I'd make a new image but I can't since I'm on mobile)

Captain's Quarters - Action-Duration - $4
+2 Actions
At the start of Clean-up, set aside a non-duration Action card from play face-up (on top of this). At the start of your next turn, play it.
-
When you gain this, you may play an Action, Treasure, or Night card from your hand.

EDIT: Modified again, downtread. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 11:12:31 pm by mail-mi »
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

alion8me

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6270 on: July 09, 2020, 08:48:52 pm »

Lunar Ritual

This turn, you may play Action cards as Night cards.
$3
Event

Old version had a cost of 3 Debt instead of $3
Older version had a cost of $4 instead of 3 Debt

Just finished a playtest match with this at $3 instead of 3 Debt, I'm pretty sure that's the right price for it now.

Thanks for the tips! I think I'm going to simplify it greatly and buff its power slightly. (I'd make a new image but I can't since I'm on mobile)

Captain's Quarters - Action-Duration - $4
+2 Actions
At the start of Clean-up, set aside a non-duration Action card face-up (on top of this). At the start of your next turn, play it.
-
When you gain this, you may play an Action, Treasure, or Night card from your hand.

Where is this setting aside an Action card from? That should be specified.

If this is still taking from in play, I still think it needs to be $5. The turn you play it, it's a Necropolis, which isn't great. However, on the second turn, it acts as a Lost City that draws into whatever action you set aside last turn! This seems like it's clearly too strong for $4 to me.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6271 on: July 09, 2020, 09:48:01 pm »

If this is still taking from in play, I still think it needs to be $5. The turn you play it, it's a Necropolis, which isn't great. However, on the second turn, it acts as a Lost City that draws into whatever action you set aside last turn! This seems like it's clearly too strong for $4 to me.

It's from play, thanks.

Is it really that powerful? It seems a little more powerful than the "play a card this turn and next" duration that Donald tested and found to be too weak
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

alion8me

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6272 on: July 09, 2020, 10:55:20 pm »

It's from play, thanks.

Is it really that powerful? It seems a little more powerful than the "play a card this turn and next" duration that Donald tested and found to be too weak

This is both easier to use on what you want to (instead of having to collide it directly with whatever you want to play next turn, you just have to play both in the same turn) and it does something on the turn you play it rather than effectively nothing. Also the something that it does on the turn you play it (being a Necropolis) encourages having a higher action density, which makes it easier to build a deck where you can use this on what you wanted.

Basically, I think this is way better because being a Ruined Village the turn you play it << being a Necropolis the turn you play it.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6273 on: July 09, 2020, 11:58:31 pm »

It's from play, thanks.

This is both easier to use on what you want to (instead of having to collide it directly with whatever you want to play next turn, you just have to play both in the same turn) and it does something on the turn you play it rather than effectively nothing. Also the something that it does on the turn you play it (being a Necropolis) encourages having a higher action density, which makes it easier to build a deck where you can use this on what you wanted.

Basically, I think this is way better because being a Ruined Village the turn you play it << being a Necropolis the turn you play it.

I've thought about having to pay $2 to set aside an action, do you think that weakens it enough? I want it to cost $4 so it can be gained by workshop variants.

alion8me

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6274 on: July 10, 2020, 01:06:25 am »

It's from play, thanks.

I've thought about having to pay $2 to set aside an action, do you think that weakens it enough? I want it to cost $4 so it can be gained by workshop variants.

That sounds like it would make it massively weaker. I don't think it needs nearly as steep a penalty on play to be priced at $4. You could try having it discard a card after it plays set aside card on turn 2; I think that this would ordinarily make it weaker than you might want for a $4, but the on-gain should balance that out. Or something else like that, the important thing I think is that the penalty both be somewhat small and always manageable. The main litmus test I'm using here is, how does this compare to Shanty Town. It can obviously be a good bit better than Shanty Town because of how weak Shanty Town is (and its cost of $3 as opposed to $4), but I think the version of the card without any penalty is clearly in a league of its own.
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 21 queries.