Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546854 times)

Marpharos

• Baron
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #6175 on: June 30, 2020, 05:41:54 pm »
+1

#5 is interesting, but I don't think it works as an action, especially at 5.

I agree, perhaps it’s better as an event? Maybe it needs repricing to 4 if it is? As an event, you can still move it around but you can’t stack it too, so doesn’t feel like such a dead card.

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #6176 on: June 30, 2020, 07:39:10 pm »
+2

Wow was this weeks challenge tough.

Specialize

Move your +1 Action, +1 Card, +$1, or +1 Buy token to an Action Supply pile without the same type of token already on it.

Event
5 Debt

Just to be clear in how the card works, this means that Specialize could be used to move your +1 Action token onto a pile with another player's +1 Card token on it, but not onto a pile with another player's +1 Action token.

Way of the Blue Jay • Way • auth: alion8me
Follow this card's instructions. Gain and play a Trinket.
This might be too strong. Like, timing-wise, it'll still matter because you're flooding your deck with not-great cards, but add "cards cost $1 less this turn" to, say, Margrave. Or Wharf. maybe too beefy.

Thank you! I think I agree with you and others now when you said it could be too strong. I think I would add the condition of flipping your Journey token to determine if you took a Trinket or not; that would fix being able to spam it too easily but would still be viable in small doses. (Or use a Blue Jay token that's like a Journey token, if this would break Journey token cards too much.)

#5 is interesting, but I don't think it works as an action, especially at 5.

I agree, perhaps it’s better as an event? Maybe it needs repricing to 4 if it is? As an event, you can still move it around but you can’t stack it too, so doesn’t feel like such a dead card.

I would even go as far as to say that spending $5 on that as an action card is weaker than as an event. I kind of like the idea of doing an event for it, but gaining Horses instead of just +1 card.

I am not committed to that version just yet though. For the time being, I’ll stay with Monarch V1 (the non-Duration one), unless this revision gains enough traction and is deemed good enough to replace the other version. I dunno, it just seems very strong to me. Like, Victory cards won’t be stop cards for you for the rest of the game. Anyway, I may be misjudging this whole affair too.
Monarch v2 is very strong and balances the weakness of the ladder (without the Monarch, they are just a bunch of mediocre self-junking cards). And there is almost no marginal value of the second monarch, which is nice.
However there are some shenanigans you can do with monarch where because cards are in play, they can be copied by changeling and pilgrimage. Is that intended?

I feel like Pilgrimage isn't that big of a deal because of how slow it is; in a non-colony game, you are getting 5 VP per turn which is pretty good but Monarch is a lot of work. Changeling sounds a lot more explosive potentially but you also need to have built up good draw, which is difficult to do whilst also going through the traveler line. I can't see it being more problematic than Horn of Plenty is. (I suspect HoP is actually quite a bit stronger than a Changeling megaturn because it also helps you build your deck). I guess this is to say; I think the interesting stuff you can do here makes the card more rather than less compelling.

Freemason
Types: Action
Cost: $4
+1 Buy. If you have the Grand Lodge, +$2. Otherwise, +3 Cards.
While this is in play, when you buy a Treasure, you may take the Grand Lodge.
Grand Lodge
Types: Artifact
The first time any player plays a Freemason on each of their turns, +1 Coffers and +1 Villager.
Freemason is one of two cards based on your ownership of an Artifact: either +3 Cards and +1 Buy; or a +1 Buy and +$2 that profits from all players' first Freemason, even yours, with +1 Coffers and +1 Villager.  Owning the Artifact is what makes Freemason into that payload, so there's no way someone else can turn your draw into coin.  It also always gives you +1 Buy so you can buy a Copper to take the Grand Lodge in a pinch.

I'm open to suggestions for its power level and play patterns.  Maybe it's too powerful giving a functional +$3 with the Buy and Villager when you have the Grand Lodge (compare to Patron and Sacred Grove)?  You can typically only get there after playing it once to take the Grand Lodge, so it might be slow enough.  I'm not sure I have the best trigger to take the Grand Lodge (buy a Treasure), if someone can think up a better way.  I wanted something challenging enough to make denying the Grand Lodge a non-trivial choice, but that wouldn't imply shoving tons of Freemasons into your deck (as that is too reminiscent of Flag Bearer).

+3 Cards +1 Buy is already very strong for a $4 even without all of the other stuff on it. If there is not other, stronger draw on the board (and there often won't be because of how cheap this is) I can't imagine wanting to turn it into a Woodcutter for a few extra Coffers and Villagers very often; I can imagine doing so only in multiplayer or in situations where it is the only source of +Action.

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #6177 on: June 30, 2020, 08:57:21 pm »
+1

Umm.............. This is a hard challenge.
How about this??

Investor
$5
Action
Choose one: Gain 2 cards each costing up to $3; or gain a copy of your selected Investment card.
-------
Setup: Choose 2 random unused Victory cards. Each player then sets aside a random card from either pile in front of them. This is their Investment card.

This is a crazy idea, but hopefully it works. Feedback is welcome.

This is an Event? Or an Action?
I meant it to be an Action, but I could make it an Event if it needs to be. Thanks for picking that up.
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #6178 on: July 01, 2020, 09:04:18 am »
+1

Freemason
Grand Lodge
The first time any player plays a Freemason on each of their turns, +1 Coffers and +1 Villager.
Freemason is one of two cards based on your ownership of an Artifact: either +3 Cards and +1 Buy; or a +1 Buy and +$2 that profits from all players' first Freemason, even yours, with +1 Coffers and +1 Villager.  Owning the Artifact is what makes Freemason into that payload, so there's no way someone else can turn your draw into coin.  It also always gives you +1 Buy so you can buy a Copper to take the Grand Lodge in a pinch.

I'm open to suggestions for its power level and play patterns.  Maybe it's too powerful giving a functional +$3 with the Buy and Villager when you have the Grand Lodge (compare to Patron and Sacred Grove)?  You can typically only get there after playing it once to take the Grand Lodge, so it might be slow enough.  I'm not sure I have the best trigger to take the Grand Lodge (buy a Treasure), if someone can think up a better way.  I wanted something challenging enough to make denying the Grand Lodge a non-trivial choice, but that wouldn't imply shoving tons of Freemasons into your deck (as that is too reminiscent of Flag Bearer).
I'd swap the functions on Freemason, i think; Draw with a buy is Very Good at $4 and Still Desirable at $5; Woodcutter... well woodcutter was a $3. Even if you can stack some Coffers + Villagers doing it.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #6179 on: July 01, 2020, 09:17:48 am »
+1

Slightly changing my entry. In its original form, it was somewhat of a 4+ if compared to Fugitive and Embassy, so I'm upping the discards to three instead of two. I'm also lowering the cost to 3 so it doesn't compare poorly to Warehouse.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #6180 on: July 01, 2020, 05:28:26 pm »

Once a pile has been set-aside, it's no longer in the kingdom and can't be bought.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 05:50:12 pm by pubby »

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #6181 on: July 01, 2020, 05:56:32 pm »
+1

Contest Submission

Council Chamber - Action - $4
Move your Council Token to an Action Supply pile. (When other players play a card from that pile, +1 card)
-
Setup: Move each player's Council Token to the Council Chamber pile.

So, I listened to the feedback... sort of :p. It's still a card (I like the self-slow down like skulk). The major change is you don't need to lose a copy of the card to put a token on it. No worries about waiting to line this up. This card can be super powerful, it's sort of like a Pathfinding for 4! How is that balanced? Well this card has several drawbacks (that I think are interesting). It's a lot slower, you have to buy it and wait some turns to draw it, and then play it and wait for your next turn before you get the benefit. The draw is vulnerable to discard attacks. After you do that all, Council Chamber is a dead card in your deck. It gives all the other players +1 card immediately the first time you play it. It does have the benefit of starting your hand with lots of cards, but other players can choose to avoid playing the card you provide Council on.

In truth, it's hard for me to tell if this is totally balanced, but I think it's not broken and I think it is fun.

Open to feedback as always.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 08:00:34 pm by anordinaryman »

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #6182 on: July 01, 2020, 06:03:04 pm »

Once a pile has been set-aside, it's no longer in the kingdom and can't be bought.

Hmmm... I love this concept. But it takes so long to get to 9. By the time you've gotten to 9, most likely everyone has bought one of the cards you want. Any card you want to gain every turn is a card you will want to gain to get you to 9. I'm not sure how to resolve this as pricing this lower is broken since it can be bought early. What if you make it that instead of limiting it's gain to piles that are full, what if this project does nothing until a Province is bought? I dunno some other condition? I also wonder if the set aside and eliminate the pile is a little bit too strong if you do this suggested variant.

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #6183 on: July 02, 2020, 05:45:44 am »
+2

Update to my entry, with cards names and images:

Land Grant - <10> - Project
Once per game, place a cube in a Landmark of Land Grant set that has no cubes on it. When scoring, it applies only for you.
Setup: make a Land Grant set with the following Landmarks: Acreage, Barony, Bishopric, County, Domain, Grange, Virgin Lands and Yards.
Acreage - Landmark
When scoring, 2 VP for different named Action card you have.
Barony - Landmark
When scoring, 2 VP for different named Treasure card and Victory Card you have.
Bishopric - Landmark
When scoring, 3 VP for each 2 different named cards in the trash (round down).
County - Landmark
When scoring, 3 VP for different type of cards you have.
Domain - Landmark
When scoring, 3 VP for set you have of Province - Duchy – Estate.
Grange - Landmark
When scoring, 1 VP per Action card you have from an empty supply pile.
Virgin Lands - Landmark
Choose a card type besides Action, Treasure and Victory. When scoring, 3 VP for each 2 cards of that type you have (round down).
Yards - Landmark
When scoring, 1 VP per 4 cards you have (round down).

Feedbacks are always welcome!

EDIT: DUE TO FEEDBACKS, I MADE A NEW UPDATE TO MY ENTRY, SEE POST AHEAD.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 09:23:38 am by Carline »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #6184 on: July 02, 2020, 04:54:20 pm »
+2

48 hour warning (would be 24 but I think I'll be quite busy tomorrow)

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #6185 on: July 02, 2020, 05:31:03 pm »
+1

Freemason
Grand Lodge
I came up with a wording using tokens that will let Grand Lodge proc more normally across player counts
Grand Lodge
At the end of your turn, put tokens here until there are 3.
When any player (including you) plays a Freemason, remove a token from here. If you do, +1 Coffers and +1 Villager.

I can't imagine wanting to turn it into a Woodcutter for a few extra Coffers and Villagers very often
I'd swap the functions on Freemason, i think; Draw with a buy is Very Good at $4 and Still Desirable at $5; Woodcutter... well woodcutter was a $3. Even if you can stack some Coffers + Villagers doing it.
Both spineflue and alion8me's posts seem to identify Freemason for the Grand Lodge player being a Woodcutter.  For clarity, if you have Grand Lodge, your Freemasons also give you +1 Coffers and +1 Villager, so it's not Smithy+Buy versus Woodcutter: It's Smithy+Buy (that benefits another player) versus Woodcutter+1 Coffers+1 Villager.  Is there some way I can make that more clear?  Grand Lodge still procs a limited number of times, so I can't push all the words into Freemason.
If you were clear about that and still think Woodcutter+1 Coffers+1 Villager loses every time to Smithy+Buy+Other-Player-Benefit...
  • Would increasing +$2 into +$3 be too much on Freemason?
  • Would changing +$2 into +2 Coffers even address the issue?
  • Would changing the whole set of benefits into +2 Coffers on Freemason and +2 Villagers on Grand Lodge (or the opposite) be more tempting?

If +Cards was the Grand Lodge function, someone taking the Grand Lodge and turning your source of draw into a coin payload would wreck your deck, leading to a lot of the same unfun play patterns of Flag Bearer.  Swapping those would make fighting for Grand Lodge the only thing you ever do with Freemason, which defeats the point of the challenge.  My hope is to make a non-zero number of games where players form a truce in which one player gets tokens where others get whatever else Freemason can do.  In order to make that happen, Freemason's other thing has to be something worth playing when another player benefits from it: +Buy with draw seems like a good one.

Breakthrough • PP • Event
Move your Alembic token to an Aqua Vitae card with no tokens on it. (During your turn Potions are also Actions with 'If it's your Action phase, play the card with your Alembic token on it.')
Breakthrough • (randomizer)
Set Up: Include the "Breakthrough" Event in the Kingdom. Shuffle the Aqua Vitae Actions and place one per player, plus one extra, next to the Breakthrough Event; These are not in the Supply. Return the rest to the box.
Abyss • $5 • Action - Aqua Vitae
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $1 per uniquely named card in the trash. If it's a Victory card, trash all Potions you have in play.
Oust • $5 • Action - Aqua Vitae
+1 Card, +1 Action. Exile the top 3 cards of your deck. You may discard a card from Exile.
Radiant City • $5 • Action - Aqua Vitae
If you have an odd number of Potions in play, +3 Actions; otherwise +2 Cards.
You may spend any number of Actions (not Action cards) for +$1 each
Repair • $5 • Action - Aqua Vitae
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card that costs up to $2 more than it. If both cards share a type, +$2.
Transfigure • $5 • Action - Aqua Vitae
Trash a non-Victory card to gain a card that shares a type with it.
Trestle • $5 • Action - Aqua Vitae
+1 Buy. Cards cost $1 less this turn. You may reveal a card from your hand that you do not have a copy of in play for +$2.
Abyss, Oust, Repair, and Transfigure are all very weak for the amount of effort the PP cost is.
Abyss is not a Horn of Plenty variant, but instead Altar variant that starts much weaker than Altar.  If Horn of Plenty were a terminal Action it would also be very bad.
Oust as a Laboratory that optionally exiled would likely be comparable to Sanctuary.  If you want the fast Exiling, you could make it more unique and much stronger by having it pull an Exiled card straight to hand.
Transfigure might work without the Victory restriction, but racing to PP would be frustrating when it was relevant.
Radiant City ends up trading invisible resources for other invisible resources, which makes tracking a bear.
Repair is functionally Remodel.  Sure it has a benefit attached to it, but you can't trash most Treasures into Treasures or Victory cards into Victory cards, so the only time it does anything is if you're trashing an Action you could play into another Action, which you don't tend to do very often.
Trestle has a lot of words attached to it considering any non-Potion Treasure and all Victory cards will typically fulfill its "reveal a card" condition.

Once per game, place a cube in a Landmark of Land Grant set that has no cubes on it. When scoring, it applies only for you.
Setup: make a Land Grant set with the following Landmarks: Acreage, Barony, Bishopric, County, Domain, Grange, Virgin Lands and Yards.
County - Landmark
Domain - Landmark
Land Grant could be a "once-per-game" event that sets aside the Landmark in question.  You could minimize the wording by taking from Tournament and making the Landmarks into Victory cards with a special type.  Something like "Once per game, gain and set aside a Grant from the Grant pile." and then the eight cards are Victory-Grant cards that are not in the Supply.
County seems too volatile.  Many games have only 4 realistic card types, but some have 8 or more.
Domain looks much too weak compared to the others.

Specialize
Move your +1 Action, +1 Card, +$1, or +1 Buy token to an Action Supply pile without the same type of token already on it.
Event
5 Debt
You need a catch to ensure a single player can't put multiple of different tokens onto the same card, unless your intention is for each player to build different super-Laboratories every game or else try to stop each other from doing so.
Even then this looks like the ultimate first-player-advantage card.  <5> for a turn-1 Pathfinding that locks out other players' Pathfinding sounds crazy.
The +1 Buy token is the only token that works with this kind of function.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #6186 on: July 02, 2020, 05:52:49 pm »

Specialize

Event
5 Debt

Just to be clear in how the card works, this means that Specialize could be used to move your +1 Action token onto a pile with another player's +1 Card token on it, but not onto a pile with another player's +1 Action token.
This might make 'first player wins' games with its debt cost. Like if there's one cantrip, the first player's first turn would be almost automatically put their +card token on it. (On turn 2 they can then specialise in something else.) Or +$ maybe, but the idea is there. Yes it's a slow start, and yes the other players can rush that pile, but the exclusive rights are surely too valuable. (If it's a card you want later, like +card City Quarter...)

Update to my entry, with cards names and images:

Acreage - Landmark
When scoring, 2 VP for different named Action card you have.
Barony - Landmark
Bishopric - Landmark
County - Landmark
Domain - Landmark
Grange - Landmark
Virgin Lands - Landmark
Choose a card type besides Action, Treasure and Victory. When scoring, 3 VP for each 2 cards of that type you have (round down).
Yards - Landmark
When scoring, 1 VP per 4 cards you have (round down).

Firstly a minor thing, Land Grant doesn't need to say once per game, it's a Project.
These look like a great set overall, each one having potential for a similar amount of VP.
Acreage could get more than the others for not too much effort, it could be a bit strong.
Barony is 12VP with not too much difficulty, a bit more sometimes, a lot more with castles (but that is an expensive commitment opponents can happily exploit)
Bishopric is my favourite here. It gets the notorious alt VP depending on the trash to work! It's very niche though, and maybe not worth it unless trash-for-benefit is in the game.
County is at least 12 VP easily, sometimes more without too much extra to do. It's probably too strong.
Domain might be on the strong side too? If you can hold all those greens that's a lot of extra VP in itself. It might be fine.
Grange becomes worthwhile if 2 piles empty. In some cases it can be crazy, like with horses (Livery).
Virgin Lands is nice in the set, sometimes it's doing nothing and sometimes it's doing lots. The way it's worded implies you choose the type when bought, but it would probably be nicer if you chose at the end (say 'when scoring, choose a type...')
Yards appears weak. Going for 12VP in line with Barony and County would need 48 cards. 3 Gardens in a deck with 48 cards in would give you that much, nearly 15.

Some ninja-ing from Fragasnap.

Edit: also editing my entry:
Monolith - Project, <8> cost.
Put your cube onto a kingdom pile with no other cube on it. When scoring, +2VP for each card you have from that pile.

A bit more influence and accessibility, so it's essentially a Landmark.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 03:19:29 am by Aquila »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #6187 on: July 03, 2020, 08:04:14 am »

Freemason
Grand Lodge
I came up with a wording using tokens that will let Grand Lodge proc more normally across player counts
Grand Lodge
At the end of your turn, put tokens here until there are 3.
When any player (including you) plays a Freemason, remove a token from here. If you do, +1 Coffers and +1 Villager.

I can't imagine wanting to turn it into a Woodcutter for a few extra Coffers and Villagers very often
Both spineflue and alion8me's posts seem to identify Freemason for the Grand Lodge player being a Woodcutter.  For clarity, if you have Grand Lodge, your Freemasons also give you +1 Coffers and +1 Villager, so it's not Smithy+Buy versus Woodcutter: It's Smithy+Buy (that benefits another player) versus Woodcutter+1 Coffers+1 Villager.  Is there some way I can make that more clear?  Grand Lodge still procs a limited number of times, so I can't push all the words into Freemason.
If you were clear about that and still think Woodcutter+1 Coffers+1 Villager loses every time to Smithy+Buy+Other-Player-Benefit...
  • Would increasing +$2 into +$3 be too much on Freemason?
  • Would changing +$2 into +2 Coffers even address the issue?
  • Would changing the whole set of benefits into +2 Coffers on Freemason and +2 Villagers on Grand Lodge (or the opposite) be more tempting?

If +Cards was the Grand Lodge function, someone taking the Grand Lodge and turning your source of draw into a coin payload would wreck your deck, leading to a lot of the same unfun play patterns of Flag Bearer.  Swapping those would make fighting for Grand Lodge the only thing you ever do with Freemason, which defeats the point of the challenge.  My hope is to make a non-zero number of games where players form a truce in which one player gets tokens where others get whatever else Freemason can do.  In order to make that happen, Freemason's other thing has to be something worth playing when another player benefits from it: +Buy with draw seems like a good one.

Changing the "has Grand Lodge" function from +$ to +Coffers would make the sides read more evenly to me.
I think the problem is (1) you're trading the Flag Bearer's unfun play pattern for another unfun play pattern and (2) an induction problem: why would anyone take the Grand Lodge? - re-read your criticism here:
If +Cards was the Grand Lodge function, someone taking the Grand Lodge and turning your source of draw into a coin payload would wreck your deck

As-is it's going to be a trap - you take the Grand Lodge, all the sudden you lose your draw. It doesn't feel any better when you wreck your own deck.
I'd change it to something like:
Freemason • $4 • Action
+2 Cards
+1 Buy
If you have the Grand Lodge, +1 Coffers; otherwise, +1 Card.

also if you want to change Grand Lodge to be more thematically funny, you could have it trigger off of anything that gives +Buys, implying the Illuminati or whatever are responsible for Markets and Spice Merchants

Breakthrough • PP • Event
Move your Alembic token to an Aqua Vitae card with no tokens on it. (During your turn Potions are also Actions with 'If it's your Action phase, play the card with your Alembic token on it.')
Breakthrough • (randomizer)
Set Up: Include the "Breakthrough" Event in the Kingdom. Shuffle the Aqua Vitae Actions and place one per player, plus one extra, next to the Breakthrough Event; These are not in the Supply. Return the rest to the box.
Abyss • $5 • Action - Aqua Vitae
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $1 per uniquely named card in the trash. If it's a Victory card, trash all Potions you have in play.
Oust • $5 • Action - Aqua Vitae
+1 Card, +1 Action. Exile the top 3 cards of your deck. You may discard a card from Exile.
Radiant City • $5 • Action - Aqua Vitae
If you have an odd number of Potions in play, +3 Actions; otherwise +2 Cards.
You may spend any number of Actions (not Action cards) for +$1 each
Repair • $5 • Action - Aqua Vitae
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card that costs up to $2 more than it. If both cards share a type, +$2.
Transfigure • $5 • Action - Aqua Vitae
Trash a non-Victory card to gain a card that shares a type with it.
Trestle • $5 • Action - Aqua Vitae
+1 Buy. Cards cost $1 less this turn. You may reveal a card from your hand that you do not have a copy of in play for +$2.
Abyss, Oust, Repair, and Transfigure are all very weak for the amount of effort the PP cost is.
Abyss is not a Horn of Plenty variant, but instead Altar variant that starts much weaker than Altar.  If Horn of Plenty were a terminal Action it would also be very bad.
Oust as a Laboratory that optionally exiled would likely be comparable to Sanctuary.  If you want the fast Exiling, you could make it more unique and much stronger by having it pull an Exiled card straight to hand.
Transfigure might work without the Victory restriction, but racing to PP would be frustrating when it was relevant.
Radiant City ends up trading invisible resources for other invisible resources, which makes tracking a bear.
Repair is functionally Remodel.  Sure it has a benefit attached to it, but you can't trash most Treasures into Treasures or Victory cards into Victory cards, so the only time it does anything is if you're trashing an Action you could play into another Action, which you don't tend to do very often.
Trestle has a lot of words attached to it considering any non-Potion Treasure and all Victory cards will typically fulfill its "reveal a card" condition.
I think the only one of these criticisms I really disagree with here is Trestle - you may as well say "Imp has a lot of words for a Laboratory"; it's supposed to be easy enough to hit. I'll workshop up some better ones here in a sec.
updated entry - changelog - no types or prices changed:
changed repair to:
Repair
+2 Cards
Trash a card from your hand to gain a card costing up to $2 more than it.
If both cards share a type, +$2.
changed Abyss to:
Abyss
Trash a card from your hand. Choose one:
Gain a card costing up to $4; or
Gain a card costing up to $1 per uniquely named card in the trash, and if the gained card was a Victory card, trash all Potions you have in play.
changed Oust to:
Oust
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Reveal the top card of your deck; you may Exile it or put it back.
changed Radiant City to
Radiant City
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
At the start of your Buy Phase, you may discard a Potion for +$1 per unspent Action (not Action Card).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 08:42:14 am by spineflu »

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #6188 on: July 03, 2020, 03:09:41 pm »
+1

Oust
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Reveal the top card of your deck; you may Exile it or put it back.
Radiant City
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
At the start of your Buy Phase, you may discard a Potion for +$1 per unspent Action (not Action Card).

Both of these seem problematic because they enable drawing on boards without any other drawing, which could lead to games being decided by who buys Breakthrough first. Radiant City being the only village can also lead to the same issue. Radiant City also seems overtuned, even ignoring this problem; it turns Potions into Lost City+ for $4 that don't have an on-gain penalty.

Specialize

Event
5 Debt

This might make 'first player wins' games with its debt cost. Like if there's one cantrip, the first player's first turn would be almost automatically put their +card token on it. (On turn 2 they can then specialise in something else.) Or +$ maybe, but the idea is there. Yes it's a slow start, and yes the other players can rush that pile, but the exclusive rights are surely too valuable. (If it's a card you want later, like +card City Quarter...)

Specialize
Event
5 Debt
You need a catch to ensure a single player can't put multiple of different tokens onto the same card, unless your intention is for each player to build different super-Laboratories every game or else try to stop each other from doing so.
Even then this looks like the ultimate first-player-advantage card.  <5> for a turn-1 Pathfinding that locks out other players' Pathfinding sounds crazy.
The +1 Buy token is the only token that works with this kind of function.

The fact that each player can put multiple tokens on the same thing is a purposeful feature, specifically to try mitigating first player advantage; there are almost always going to be enough good things to do with this that you won't feel too bad. <5> is purposely low compared to the other token Events so that missing out on the best spot to put your token doesn't feel too bad.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #6189 on: July 04, 2020, 01:16:56 am »
+1

This does not work. First player opens with this, puts the +1 Card on the village pile, thus makes the pile unattractive to token-ify for anybody else and can transform it into a level 3 City in the midgame.

As Fragasnap said, this is better than Pathfinding in 3 ways: cheaper, locks out other players, available at T1 which massively increases first player advantage. Utterly broken.

About the first problem, the adventure tokens are interesting because they imply a tradeoff between getting copies of the cards you want to improve and getting payload to buy the respective Event. This basically comes for free.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 06:10:47 am by segura »

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6190 on: July 04, 2020, 09:30:42 am »
+1

County - Landmark
Domain - Landmark
Land Grant could be a "once-per-game" event that sets aside the Landmark in question.  You could minimize the wording by taking from Tournament and making the Landmarks into Victory cards with a special type.  Something like "Once per game, gain and set aside a Grant from the Grant pile." and then the eight cards are Victory-Grant cards that are not in the Supply.
County seems too volatile.  Many games have only 4 realistic card types, but some have 8 or more.
Domain looks much too weak compared to the others.

Firstly a minor thing, Land Grant doesn't need to say once per game, it's a Project.
These look like a great set overall, each one having potential for a similar amount of VP.
Acreage could get more than the others for not too much effort, it could be a bit strong.
Barony is 12VP with not too much difficulty, a bit more sometimes, a lot more with castles (but that is an expensive commitment opponents can happily exploit)
Bishopric is my favourite here. It gets the notorious alt VP depending on the trash to work! It's very niche though, and maybe not worth it unless trash-for-benefit is in the game.
County is at least 12 VP easily, sometimes more without too much extra to do. It's probably too strong.
Domain might be on the strong side too? If you can hold all those greens that's a lot of extra VP in itself. It might be fine.
Grange becomes worthwhile if 2 piles empty. In some cases it can be crazy, like with horses (Livery).
Virgin Lands is nice in the set, sometimes it's doing nothing and sometimes it's doing lots. The way it's worded implies you choose the type when bought, but it would probably be nicer if you chose at the end (say 'when scoring, choose a type...')
Yards appears weak. Going for 12VP in line with Barony and County would need 48 cards. 3 Gardens in a deck with 48 cards in would give you that much, nearly 15.

Thank you both for feedbacks! Due to them, I’m making some adjusts in the amount of VPs of some landmarks.

I also remove the wording “once per game” in Land Grant. As Aquila said, it is not needed, because is a Project. Following his suggestion, I also changed the choice of Virgin Lands to be when scoring.

I wanted one more option for players with money based strategies, so added Gold Vein to the landmarks. This way, players may have very different goals from each other and so use very different strategies. Each landmark is better depending on kingdom. I hope with these adjusts they are well balanced in general.

Being Land Grant debt cost, you can buy it in your first turn if you want to choose before your landmark, with the cost of building nothing for some turns. Or you may buy it later, knowing which condition you fit better. You can even buy it in your last turn without paying, but there’s the risk of your opponent end the game before.

UPDATE TO MY ENTRY:

Place a cube on a Landmark of Land Grant set that has no cubes on it. When scoring, it applies only for you..
Setup: make a Land Grant set with the following Landmarks: Acreage, Barony, Bishopric, County, Domain, Gold Vein, Grange, Virgin Lands and Yards.
Acreage - Landmark
When scoring, 3 VP for each two different named Action cards you have (round down).
Barony - Landmark
Bishopric - Landmark
County - Landmark
When scoring, 5 VP for each two different types of cards you have (round down).
Domain - Landmark
Gold Vein - Landmark
When scoring, 1 VP per Gold you have.
Grange - Landmark
Virgin Lands - Landmark
When scoring, choose a card type besides Action, Treasure and Victory. 3 VP for each 2 cards of that type you have (round down).
Yards - Landmark
When scoring, 1 VP per 3 cards you have (round down).

EDIT: DUE TO MORE FEEDBACKS, I MADE ANOTHER UPDATE TO MY ENTRY, SEE POST AHEAD.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 10:57:06 am by Carline »

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6191 on: July 04, 2020, 11:13:23 am »
+1

Gold Vein - Landmark

I think Gold Vein is well balanced in the set, it is as if your Golds were all gained by buying Wedding. What do you think?

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #6192 on: July 04, 2020, 06:15:07 pm »
+2

Not ready to judge yet, so I'm giving everyone another 24 hours to finalise their entries (or submit new ones).

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #6193 on: July 04, 2020, 06:23:31 pm »
+2

Gold Vein - Landmark

I think Gold Vein is well balanced in the set, it is as if your Golds were all gained by buying Wedding. What do you think?

One suggestion I have for Land Grant is to make the cost less for each subsequent player.

i.e, change it to just set aside the Landmark you choose, (so you still place the cube on the Project as normal), and add the clause "this costs 2 less debt per cube on here".

That way the first person to buy gets the first choice, but the 2nd (and later players) get a discount.

This idea could work with any of the Projects / Events* that involves selecting one card / pile.

* just need to determine the best wording, as for Projects it's easy with the cubes
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #6194 on: July 05, 2020, 03:48:55 am »
+2

Gold Vein - Landmark

Seems OK, you rarely want more than 5 or 6 Golds. The Landmarks don’t have to be of perfectly equal strength (averaged over all Kingdoms) anyway as players can choose.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #6195 on: July 05, 2020, 05:08:51 am »

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6196 on: July 05, 2020, 10:28:21 am »
+1

One suggestion I have for Land Grant is to make the cost less for each subsequent player.

i.e, change it to just set aside the Landmark you choose, (so you still place the cube on the Project as normal), and add the clause "this costs 2 less debt per cube on here".

That way the first person to buy gets the first choice, but the 2nd (and later players) get a discount.

This idea could work with any of the Projects / Events* that involves selecting one card / pile.

* just need to determine the best wording, as for Projects it's easy with the cubes

Great idea, thank you!

I thought to give discount of for each cube, but it seems to doesn’t make much difference.

So, it will be discount, as you suggested. It would make it cheap for last players to buy it in multiplayer games, but, since they don’t have the best choices for that kingdom anymore, it seems fair.

Due to the discounts, I make the initial cost at <12>. It seems well balanced to me to be attractive, as first choice would probably always give 12+ VP.

What do you think? Feedbacks are very welcome.

UPDATE TO MY ENTRY:

Land Grant - <12> - Project
Set aside a Landmark of Land Grant set. When scoring, it applies only for you.
-
This costs <2> less for each other player's cube on here.

Setup: make a Land Grant set with the following Landmarks: Acreage, Barony, Bishopric, County, Domain, Gold Vein, Grange, Virgin Lands and Yards.

Acreage - Landmark
When scoring, 3 VP for each two different named Action cards you have (round down).
Barony - Landmark
Bishopric - Landmark
County - Landmark
When scoring, 5 VP for each two different types of cards you have (round down).
Domain - Landmark
Gold Vein - Landmark
Grange - Landmark
Virgin Lands - Landmark
When scoring, choose a card type besides Action, Treasure and Victory. 3 VP for each 2 cards of that type you have (round down).
Yards - Landmark
When scoring, 1 VP per 3 cards you have (round down).

Edited to fix card cost in the quote.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 01:35:20 pm by Carline »

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #6197 on: July 05, 2020, 01:05:42 pm »

I hope this isn't to late to apply the last touchups for my submission. I wasn't home yesterday so I couldn't have done it then. But anyway, here it is just in case:

Modified Monarch (yet again) and fixed a missing "you may" on Magnate. Everything else remained unchanged.
Bottom text

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #6198 on: July 05, 2020, 01:09:11 pm »

I hope this isn't to late to apply the last touchups for my submission. I wasn't home yesterday so I couldn't have done it then. But anyway, here it is just in case:

Modified Monarch (yet again) and fixed a missing "you may" on Magnate. Everything else remained unchanged.

I meant to ask the first time around, but what does Magnate do with Action-Victory cards like Nobles and Mill? Add to, replace, your choice?
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #6199 on: July 05, 2020, 01:14:38 pm »

I meant to ask the first time around, but what does Magnate do with Action-Victory cards like Nobles and Mill? Add to, replace, your choice?

I think you meant Monarch, but I believe it would add to the Victory-Action cards.

Yes, they become OP. Great Halls becoming a Lost Cities with 1 for . Or Nobles just being absolutely overpowered.

I suspect that if a Successor Traveller line existed for real and there was one or more "Action - Victory" cards in the Supply, it would look very attractive to go for it.
Bottom text
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.