Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546897 times)

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #6150 on: June 27, 2020, 07:27:26 pm »

I love the idea of a ladder relying on Victory cards.
Magnate needs a fix for accountability: You may discard a Victory card. As for me, it's too weak for a penultimate ladder step - probably should be +1 Action +2 Cards or something

Marpharos

• Baron
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #6151 on: June 27, 2020, 07:59:06 pm »
+2

I'd reword Gold Token & Silver Charms
Silver Charms as "when you play a Silver, +1 Buy"
Gold Token, look to inheritance for wording - something like "On your turns, Gold is also an Attack - Doom card that reads '$3. Each other player receives the next Hex'"

You're right, Silver Charms does need that reworking. I found Gold Token problematic for wording but what you've suggested is definitely clearer.

The full updated lot then:

Metalworker - Action - $5
Reveal a Treasure from your hand. The player to your left may reveal a copy from their hand. If they do, gain a copy of it. If not, take either the Copper Alloy, the Silver Charms, or the Gold Token.

Copper Alloy - Artifact
Each Copper produces an extra $1 this turn.

Silver Charms - Artifact
When you play a Silver, +1 Buy

On your turns, Gold is also an Attack - Doom card that reads: $3 Each other player receives the next Hex.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #6152 on: June 27, 2020, 08:28:11 pm »
+1

A simple little card that gives slower strategies a bump in speed while allowing others to gain key cards or buy more expensive cards early. The o-play also contributes, and is intended to help out a money strategy so that avenue is also an option.
EDIT
Card modified to this:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 09:18:20 am by D782802859 »

Marpharos

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6153 on: June 27, 2020, 08:54:13 pm »

Land Grant - <10> - Project

Once per game, place a cube on a Landmark of Land Grant set that has no cubes on it. When scoring, it applies only for you.

Setup: make a Land Grant set with the following Landmarks: Fountain, Museum, Obelisk, Orchard, Palace, Tower and Triumphal Arc. Choose at random Obelisk's supply pile.

The specific Landmarks I want to add to Land Grant set:

- When scoring, 3 VP for set you have of Province - Duchy – Estate
- When scoring, 2 VP for different named Action card you have
- When scoring, 3 VP for different named Treasure card you have
- When scoring, 1 VP per 4 cards you have (round down)
- When scoring, 3 VP for different type of cards you have
- When scoring, 3 VP for different type of cards in the trash
- When scoring, 1 VP per Action card you have from an empty supply pile
- Choose a card type besides Action, Treasure and Victory. When scoring, 1 VP for each card of that type you have

I’ll create names and arts. I don’t know for sure if they are well balanced. What do you think?

I like these a lot and the power of them would vary by game, but they benefit from not being cards themselves - especially the Gardens variant. I haven't given much thought about the numbers but it seems alright. I might change the one that's "3vp for different type of cards in the trash" as it might work better if it cared about number of cards in the trash? I think the last one is the weakest of them all. At what point do you choose the card type? If you pick Curse you're essentially unaffected by them.

Overall I think they're pretty well balanced though. I haven't thought about the cost of the project at all either but seems fair enough. In general you're looking at an easy 9+ vp.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 08:56:32 pm by Marpharos »

Marpharos

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6154 on: June 27, 2020, 09:06:47 pm »

Technically it's another token similar to Ferry, but with a monopoly clause to encourage the patent holder and discourage the others. Yes, you can patent Curse or Ruins, and junk the opponents while getting profit. To nerf this feature, monopoly is once per game.
The wording is heavier than I prefer, I would really appreciate any help with rewording.

I think you mean Seaway, not Ferry? Here's my attempt:

Gain a card from a pile without a Patent token costing up to $4. Move your Patent token to its pile.
When another player gains a card from that pile, you first get +1 Coffer.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #6155 on: June 28, 2020, 11:36:27 am »

A simple little card that gives slower strategies a bump in speed while allowing others to gain key cards or buy more expensive cards early. The o-play also contributes, and is intended to help out a money strategy so that avenue is also an option.
+2 Cards and 2 Coins is a strong $5 and this is hardly weaker.

D782802859

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6156 on: June 28, 2020, 11:38:38 am »
+1

+2 Cards and 2 Coins is a strong $5 and this is hardly weaker.
+2 Cards and +2 Coins isn't that strong of a 5, it's mostly just boring, and this doesn't increase handsize.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6157 on: June 28, 2020, 12:16:59 pm »

+2 Cards and +2 Coins isn't that strong of a 5
Ehm, no:

"Highway:" This was "+2 Cards +$2," for $5. It was a solid card that I eventually decided not to do. It seemed strong and it's too easy to compare to other things. It had no special charm.
Source: The Continued Secret History of the Early Dominion Cards

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #6158 on: June 28, 2020, 12:38:48 pm »

Silver Charms

FUCKING GREAT! This is what silvers need!

Now I want to know what it did.

I’m wondering if Monarch should always stay in play like Champion does. That’d be massively overpowered though, I think.

I don't think so at all. Compare it to what champion does: infinite actions and protection against everything. Now compare it to what teacher does.

I would probably make it stay in play forever and give victory cards lab effect.

D782802859

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6159 on: June 28, 2020, 03:20:17 pm »

+2 Cards and +2 Coins isn't that strong of a 5
Ehm, no:

"Highway:" This was "+2 Cards +$2," for $5. It was a solid card that I eventually decided not to do. It seemed strong and it's too easy to compare to other things. It had no special charm.
Source: The Continued Secret History of the Early Dominion Cards
I think if tested, +2 Cards +$2 wouldn't be much better than existing fives. Regardless, I will definitely consider adding a third discard because it might be a bit too good without changing it.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #6160 on: June 28, 2020, 03:32:52 pm »
+1

This is what I thought of...

Stamp
$4 - Action-Victory
+1 Card, +1 Action.
If you have more than one Stamp in play, +$1. You may trash this. If you do, gain a gold.
-
Worth 2VP if you are not the player with the most Stamps (or tied for most). Otherwise, Worth 1VP.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #6161 on: June 28, 2020, 06:55:35 pm »
+2

THE CARD BELLOW IS NOT PART OF MY FINAL SUBMISSION. SEE PAGE 248 TO FIND MY FINAL SUBMISSION.

Magnate needs a fix for accountability: You may discard a Victory card. As for me, it's too weak for a penultimate ladder step - probably should be +1 Action +2 Cards or something
Touché! Magnate shall receive a "You may". Ironically, Aristocrat just before him did have that "You may". Being consistent while making cards is hard, lol.

I don't think so at all. Compare it to what champion does: infinite actions and protection against everything. Now compare it to what teacher does.

I would probably make it stay in play forever and give victory cards lab effect.
I was trying to fiddle a little bit around the idea of making Monarch stay in-play and came up with this:

I am not committed to that version just yet though. For the time being, I’ll stay with Monarch V1 (the non-Duration one), unless this revision gains enough traction and is deemed good enough to replace the other version. I dunno, it just seems very strong to me. Like, Victory cards won’t be stop cards for you for the rest of the game. Anyway, I may be misjudging this whole affair too.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 01:09:15 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #6162 on: June 28, 2020, 07:58:35 pm »
+1

Touché! Magnate shall receive a "You may". Ironically, Aristocrat just before him did have that "You may". Being consistent while making cards is hard, lol.

I was trying to fiddle a little bit around the idea of making Monarch stay in-play and came up with this:

I am not committed to that version just yet though. For the time being, I’ll stay with Monarch V1 (the non-Duration one), unless this revision gains enough traction and is deemed good enough to replace the other version. I dunno, it just seems very strong to me. Like, Victory cards won’t be stop cards for you for the rest of the game. Anyway, I may be misjudging this whole affair too.
does the v2 of Monarch stack? ie, getting two fully advanced would be a Lost City, 3, +3 Cards +3 Actions?

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #6163 on: June 28, 2020, 08:13:39 pm »
+1

does the v2 of Monarch stack? ie, getting two fully advanced would be a Lost City, 3, +3 Cards +3 Actions?

I don't think it would. Because it modifies Victory card to a single thing. Playing another Monarch would just do the same thing; changing those Victory cards into the same thing once again. It's hard to argue about this when there isn't really an official Dominion counterpart we can base our conclusions onto. But for the sake of balance, I'd put into some kind of FAQ that this part of Monarch does not stack.

Now, for the +1 Action when a Traveller is played, it will stack with multiple Monarchs.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 11:19:45 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #6164 on: June 29, 2020, 10:20:05 am »
+2

Animal Market
cost $4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Discard the top card of your deck. The player to your left discards the top card of their deck. If the discarded cards have different names, +1 Buy and +$1.

grep

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6165 on: June 29, 2020, 11:31:25 am »

I think you mean Seaway, not Ferry? Here's my attempt:
Gain a card from a pile without a Patent token costing up to $4. Move your Patent token to its pile.
When another player gains a card from that pile, you first get +1 Coffer.
Nope, I meant "Ferry" as it's a variant of the cost reduction theme. My version gives a Coffer when any player including the patent holder gains a card.

grep

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6166 on: June 29, 2020, 11:39:30 am »

Monarch v2 is very strong and balances the weakness of the ladder (without the Monarch, they are just a bunch of mediocre self-junking cards). And there is almost no marginal value of the second monarch, which is nice.

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #6167 on: June 29, 2020, 07:43:33 pm »

Monarch v2 is very strong and balances the weakness of the ladder (without the Monarch, they are just a bunch of mediocre self-junking cards). And there is almost no marginal value of the second monarch, which is nice.
However there are some shenanigans you can do with monarch where because cards are in play, they can be copied by changeling and pilgrimage. Is that intended?
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

lompeluiten

• Bishop
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #6168 on: June 30, 2020, 05:03:04 am »
+1

Does this qualify for the chalange:

*name - Project $7
Whenever you gain a duchy, gain a gold.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6169 on: June 30, 2020, 10:05:03 am »

Umm.............. This is a hard challenge.
How about this??

Investor
$5
Choose one: Gain 2 cards each costing up to $3; or gain a copy of your selected Investment card.
-------
Setup: Choose 2 random unused Victory cards. Each player then sets aside a random card from either pile in front of them. This is their Investment card.

This is a crazy idea, but hopefully it works. Feedback is welcome.

This is an Event? Or an Action?

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #6170 on: June 30, 2020, 01:24:23 pm »

not a submission yet, still picking which of these variants to do.
Feedback requested!

I decided to go the route of having a card-shaped thing that encourages players to use different cards. It's a modification from a previous entry I did a long time ago. I can't figure out the best direction to go in. Would love some help in helping me figure out which of these directions to go in:

Council Chamber - Action - $5
Set aside an Action card from your hand under this. When other players play copies of that card, +1 card. When you play copies of that card, trash a card you have in play.

(This stays in play)
* note - heavy cost to gain the Action and line it up, plus cost of bad self-trashing. This encourages all players to avoid heavily relying on this card. The card does not junk your hand though because it stays in play

Set aside an Action card from your hand under this. When other players play copies of that card, Exile a Horse. When you play copies of that card, trash a card you have in play.
-
When you trash this, Gain a Horse.

(This stays in play)
Same as above but weakened to gain Horses instead. I'm not sure I Like this.

Council Chamber - PROJECT - $6
Set aside an Action card from the Supply under this. When other players play copies of that card, gain a Horse.
Project variant is a lot stronger. Sort of an interactive path-finding variant. Slowed down by using Horses rather than immediate +1 draw, but does not allow discards. This encourages players to avoid a monolithic strategy. It does not discourage the buyer of Council Chamber from avoiding that card so encourages different strategies.

Choose one: Trash this; or set aside an Action card from your hand. Move your Council Token to it. (When other players play copies of that card, Exile a Horse.)
-
When you trash this, Gain a Horse.
Sort of like the above -- encourages other players to avoid using that card, with a slow down through the exile of Horses. This card also slows down by self junking, although it can self-trash.

Set aside an Action card from your hand. Move your Council Token to it. (When other players play copies of that card +1 card)
Similar to the above but without the horse or exile nonsense might be too powerful.

The ones that use Tokens mean they can't stack, the ones without tokens can stack. I'm curious y'alls thoughts on these variants. Thank you so much!

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6171 on: June 30, 2020, 01:34:00 pm »
+1

The versions that Exile Horses are far too weak.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6172 on: June 30, 2020, 02:28:45 pm »
+1

I'd say simplicity is king here; go with the last token entry (#5)

D782802859

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6173 on: June 30, 2020, 02:32:13 pm »
+2

#5 is interesting, but I don't think it works as an action, especially at 5.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #6174 on: June 30, 2020, 05:09:03 pm »
+2

Freemason
Types: Action
Cost: $4
+1 Buy. If you have the Grand Lodge, +2 Coffers. Otherwise, +3 Cards.
While this is in play, when you buy a Treasure, you may take the Grand Lodge.
Grand Lodge
Types: Artifact
At the end of your turn, put tokens here until there are 3.
When any player (including you) plays a Freemason, remove a token from here. If you do, +1 Coffers and +1 Villager.
Freemason is one of two cards based on your ownership of an Artifact: either +3 Cards and +1 Buy; or a +1 Buy and +2 Coffers that profits from the first three Freemasons played per round, ending with yours, with +1 more Coffers and +1 Villager.  Owning the Artifact is what makes Freemason into that payload, so there's no way someone else can turn your draw into coin.  It also always gives you +1 Buy so you can buy a Copper to take the Grand Lodge in a pinch.

EDIT
Freemason changed to give +2 Coffers from +$2.
Grand Lodge changed from working once per turn to using tokens to make it work thrice per round.  This will normalize it in multiplayer and puts a single player relying on Freemason for draw in a tougher spot.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 08:33:05 pm by Fragasnap »
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.