Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1559380 times)

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #6025 on: June 13, 2020, 12:31:46 pm »

Decree (Action, $5)

You may play an Action card from your hand three times. If you do, trash it.

A King's Court variant that trashes its target. Not sure if $5 is the right price for this.

A suggestion - what if it TRed always, and then you could trash for a 3rd play?

I would also consider adding an in play check - Decree-ing a horse and KCing a Horse (or other card that removed itself from play) are identical.

Fair. Does this seem better?

Decree (Action, $5)

You may play an Action card from your hand twice. If it is still in play, you may play it a third time; if you do, trash it.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile
« Reply #6026 on: June 13, 2020, 03:46:45 pm »

There is no reason for the setting aside. Just reveal and topdeck, that is clearer.

There might be effects that mean the revealed card isn't still in your hand after you reveal it and get the bonuses, though I can't think of any.

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #6027 on: June 13, 2020, 05:06:41 pm »

Thank you to everyone who commented on my card last week; it was kind of last-minute and I suspected I might have missed something while writing it up. If I were to have revised it I would have made it gain a Gold only when you gain an Action Supply card and kept everything else the same. (Changing the functionality of Gold rather than using Spoils was an important point as it would prevent money strategies from being too good with it.)

For this week,

Novice

Trash a card from your hand. If you did, gain a card costing less than it. +1 Coffers per $1 less the gained card costs. If you trashed an Action card, you may exchange this for an Adept.

$4
Action
Adept

Reveal an Action card from your hand. Gain and play a copy of it.

(This is not in the supply.)

$0*
Action

Old versions:

Adept v2

Reveal a non-Command Action card from your hand. Gain and play a copy of it.
-
When you gain this, gain a Copper.

8 Debt
Action-Command

Adept v1

-
When you gain this, gain a Copper onto your deck.

$5
Action-Command

edit: Added Command type and wording to prevent easy piling. I know that this isn't exactly what the Command type has been used for previously but this fixes all of the broken combos I saw that would come up with them cleanly.

edit2: Updated card to new version.

edit3: Updated card to new version.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 02:46:16 pm by alion8me »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1434
    • View Profile
« Reply #6028 on: June 13, 2020, 05:29:20 pm »

Disciple variants are fun but this is far stronger than Kiln. In vanilla terms, you get a cantrip instead of a terminal Silver (it is of course even stronger as the card you quasi-draw is the just gained card). This is very strong as you don’t need the extra terminal space that you need for Kiln and the self-junking is unlikely to compensate for this.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6029 on: June 14, 2020, 12:43:55 pm »

Fish Monger  • • Action
+1 Card
+1 Action

Reveal the top card of your deck. Discard it or put it back. If it is an...
Action card, +1 Villager
Treasure card, + 1 Coffers
Victory card, gain a Horse

Nothing fancy, just a straightforward Ironmonger variant.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 02:05:26 pm by segura »

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #6030 on: June 14, 2020, 12:48:37 pm »
+1

Fish Monger  • • Action
Action card, +1 Villager

Seems weak for $5? You're either getting 1 villager, 1 coffer, or 1 horse which are all less than $2 effects, and you can't even choose which one.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #6031 on: June 14, 2020, 01:29:51 pm »
+3

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6032 on: June 14, 2020, 02:05:17 pm »
+1

Fish Monger  • • Action
Action card, +1 Villager

Seems weak for $5? You're either getting 1 villager, 1 coffer, or 1 horse which are all less than $2 effects, and you can't even choose which one.
I forgot the cantrip part.

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #6033 on: June 14, 2020, 03:14:49 pm »

Fish Monger  • • Action
Action card, +1 Villager

It's not a cantrip, you don't draw a card with it.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #6034 on: June 14, 2020, 04:26:59 pm »
+2

Redistrict
Types: Action, Looter
Cost: $4
Trash a card from your hand. If the trashed card has at least 2 types: +1 Action and gain a card with only one type costing up to $5, putting it on top of your deck. Otherwise, gain a Ruins and play the Ruins twice.
Tempo-trashing Workshop like Altar, caring about the number of types (instead of specific types a la Sacrifice).  If you trash a card with a single type (like your starting Coppers and Estates), you gain a Ruins and play it twice.
If you trash a card with multiple types (like Heirlooms, Redistrict, or the Ruins you've gained from Redistrict) then you gain a single-type card costing up to $5 to your next hand.  It has to be only a single type so you can't run piles as easily (especially Redistrict into Redistrict into Redistrict... into Redistrict).  (Of particular note, that one-type restriction also prevents it from gaining $5-cost Attacks like Coven, Cultist, and Minion.)

History:
Nerf "putting it on top of your deck" from "putting it into your hand" per discussion below.
...Makes choice of trashing more tactical and balances behavior of a missing Redistrict.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 08:17:31 pm by Fragasnap »
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6035 on: June 14, 2020, 04:42:08 pm »

Fish Monger  • • Action
Action card, +1 Villager

It's not a cantrip, you don't draw a card with it.
Read the fixed version.

alion8me

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6036 on: June 15, 2020, 01:16:17 am »

This version of my card is outdated. Please look at the original post or the one further downthread for the current version.

Disciple variants are fun but this is far stronger than Kiln. In vanilla terms, you get a cantrip instead of a terminal Silver (it is of course even stronger as the card you quasi-draw is the just gained card). This is very strong as you don’t need the extra terminal space that you need for Kiln and the self-junking is unlikely to compensate for this.

There is another crucial difference between Adept and Kiln; Kiln can gain Treasures. In addition, if you draw Adept without something you want to clone that has copies left in the supply, it is completely dead, whereas Kiln has a lower bound of +$2. You are probably right that it is too strong for its cost though.

Adept

-
When you gain this, gain a Copper.

8 Debt
Action-Command

I feel like this revision is priced better for the effect, probably. I changed the Copper-gain to make it land in your discard because it's just too mean of an effect with the debt, and it's plenty expensive now.

I think this is really strong, because it effectively cannot be drawn dead. It's worse if you start with all of these in hand, of course, but I feel like the decks where you aren't able to connect this with terminals wouldn't work any better (and perhaps worse) with normal villages.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 02:49:00 pm by alion8me »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6037 on: June 15, 2020, 01:45:06 am »

I disagree. There is a trade-off between potentially being better than Village in combination with terminal draw (pulling of the Saunavanto trick) and being worse because you are not down to zero Actions. I don’t see that one automatically and always outweighs the other.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5159
    • View Profile
« Reply #6038 on: June 15, 2020, 03:37:09 am »
+1

Redistrict
Types: Action, Looter
Cost: $4
Trash a card from your hand. If the trashed card has at least 2 types: +1 Action and gain a card with only one type costing up to $5, putting it into your hand. Otherwise, gain a Ruins and play the Ruins twice.
Tempo-trashing Workshop like Altar, caring about the number of types (instead of specific types a la Sacrifice).  If you trash a card with a single type (like your starting Coppers and Estates), you gain a Ruins and play it twice.
If you trash a card with multiple types (like Heirlooms, Redistrict, or the Ruins you've gained from Redistrict) then you gain a single-type card costing up to $5 straight to hand.  It has to be only a single type so you can't run piles as easily (especially Redistrict into Redistrict into Redistrict... into Redistrict).  (Of particular note, that one-type restriction also nixes gaining $5-cost Attacks like Coven, Cultist, and Minion.)
I like this design, but it is absolutely bonkers with Shelters. I can't think of a good fix for this, but it seems generally that you wouldn't want this to work on your starting cards - if you use it on Estate/Copper, then its power level seems comparable to Remodel.

A working restriction would be to only make the first option work on Ruins, but that also takes some of the fun out of it.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Threa
« Reply #6039 on: June 15, 2020, 03:40:05 am »
+1

With Shelters, this is on the power level of Artisan, plus the trashing. Sounds similar to Bounty Hunter, that is on the power level of Gold, plus the Exiling.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 03:41:07 am by segura »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5159
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Threa
« Reply #6040 on: June 15, 2020, 03:45:38 am »
+1

With Shelters, this is on the power level of Artisan, plus the trashing. Sounds similar to Bounty Hunter, that is on the power level of Gold, plus the Exiling.
Well, it also gives you +Action, so you can immediately play the gained card. (I also think Bounty Hunter is too strong, FWIW.) Also Artisan > Gold.

An issue is also that it's very swingy in that case - if you draw it with 4 Coppers, that's basically game over.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6041 on: June 15, 2020, 04:11:47 am »
+1

Shelters is no issue. Both player open with it and are on equal footing with a strong effect that is similar to Bounty Hunter (and as Bounty Hunter is not broken, that is a decent rough benchmark for how broken Redistrict is or not).
The bigger issue is probably the swinginess in the non-Shelters case. Either the Ruins you previously gained is dead or you manage to convert it into an insta-5. That is a huge difference.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +385
    • View Profile
« Reply #6042 on: June 15, 2020, 12:59:18 pm »
+1

« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 01:22:21 pm by D782802859 »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6043 on: June 15, 2020, 01:01:36 pm »

I am not aware of how other players could gain green during your Night phase, so you could word it as "reveal this" instead of "reveal a card" (I guess this was intended as reveal another cards besides Phantom).

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +385
    • View Profile
« Reply #6044 on: June 15, 2020, 01:17:49 pm »

I am not aware of how other players could gain green during your Night phase, so you could word it as "reveal this" instead of "reveal a card" (I guess this was intended as reveal another cards besides Phantom).
That was a phrasing mistake. It should say "this", I'll fix it.

alion8me

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6045 on: June 15, 2020, 01:38:11 pm »

I disagree. There is a trade-off between potentially being better than Village in combination with terminal draw (pulling of the Saunavanto trick) and being worse because you are not down to zero Actions. I don’t see that one automatically and always outweighs the other.

It's true that Cabin isn't strictly better than village, but the case where you terminal-draw into Cabin and it lets you continue your turn seems like it would come up far more than the case where you urgently need the draw from Cabin. The worst case of playing it for +1 card +1 action is also far better than that of Village, which can be drawn completely dead.

This sounds potentially very swingy, as the reaction "attack" is very strong in games where you want to buy multiple victory cards in a turn and there's often no way to control if you draw it in your starting hand or not.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6046 on: June 15, 2020, 02:48:51 pm »

It's true that Cabin isn't strictly better than village, but the case where you terminal-draw into Cabin and it lets you continue your turn seems like it would come up far more than the case where you urgently need the draw from Cabin. The worst case of playing it for +1 card +1 action is also far better than that of Village, which can be drawn completely dead.
Not all boards have terminal draw, you also want splitters if there are $5 terminal Silvers. Also, if you play Cabin and then draw into ANY terminal, it was a worthless cantrip. Something like Village, Village, Smithy, Smithy is also not that uncommon; you are not guaranteed to have equally distributed villages, something that Cabin wants.

So, no, I simply don't see any support for your claim that one effect is always and clearly dominating the other. It is much more unclear and Kingdom-sensitive which is why I don't think that a price of $4 is necessary (not that there is a huge difference between $3 and $4).

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #6047 on: June 15, 2020, 03:08:58 pm »
+1

This one's a bit messy. (I have a lengthy FAQ, but won't bore you with it.)

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1353
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #6048 on: June 15, 2020, 03:26:11 pm »

This one's a bit messy. (I have a lengthy FAQ, but won't bore you with it.)

a couple points:
• 1: should this have the command type? should this specify non-command actions?
• 2: recursive cursing is painful - should this (rather than "neither") specify Victory cards only for its cursing?
• 3: you could probably make the card a little less straightforward if you change the treasure option to "you or they may trash it;", which'd make it less straightforward (am i going to let them trash a copper with this attack?)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 04:13:55 pm by spineflu »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6049 on: June 15, 2020, 03:44:15 pm »

Either you have a a Cursing Attack that is weaker than Sea Hag or Bandit's trashing Attack (without Bandit's gaining). So both effects are below $5 strength.
Or you have a random Action emulator which has two issues. First, one rarely has Actions in one's deck that cost more than $5, or in other words, the average cost of an Action card is one's deck is below $5. Second, the random emulation is hurting the active player due to the lack of control.

In short, there is the old Tribute issue, i.e. lack of control for the active player, plus individual effects which are nearly always weaker than that of a $5. This makes the card bad (I have no idea though if it would be overpowered at $4). A simple way to fix it might be the addition of some vanilla stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.